Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAYO FETISH
Feb 15, 2016
Trying to diversify my investments a little bit and throw a good chunk into ETFs. I'm trying to be aggressive right now and willing to take on more risk than average. Interested in ARKF, BETZ, and possibly MOON (though this one makes me a little wary).

I know posters in here have mentioned ARK ETFs. BETZ looks like a solid buy in right now as well given the explosion of sports betting as an industry. MOON has been posting insane returns, but the fact that they only restructure semi annually (wtf) and are mostly made up of risky companies makes me hesitant.

I like ICLN and its target industry. The 0.46% expense ratio is nice.

MAYO FETISH fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Leperflesh posted:

Generally when a healthy company goes private, invstors buy all the traded shares, e.g. you get a payout and the stock disappears from your brokerage. What likely happened here is the stock went to zero and was delisted, e.g, the company went busto, perhaps by passing through a bankruptcy. Note that companies can and often do re-emerge from bankruptcy, so finding the company still operating somewhere is a possibility.

You can write off the entire basis value of the shares you had, and you can get your brokerage to remove them, but if they want to charge you a fee to do that IMO just leave them listed there forever as a reminder that you should check your stocks more often and sell the ones that have dropped 95%.

That's what I did, anyway.

One of these days my old BTCS stock is gonna go to the moon

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
I bought moon but its def not going to be a long term hold

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

MAYO FETISH posted:

Trying to diversify my investments a little bit and throw a good chunk into ETFs. I'm trying to be aggressive right now and willing to take on more risk than average. Interested in ARKF, BETZ, and possibly MOON (though this one makes me a little wary).

I know posters in here have mentioned ARK ETFs. BETZ looks like a solid buy in right now as well given the explosion of sports betting as an industry. MOON has been posting insane returns, but the fact that they only restructure semi annually (wtf) and are mostly made up of risky companies makes me hesitant.

I like ICLN and its target industry. The 0.46% expense ratio is nice.

You should look in the holdings of any ETFs you consider. For example, read my post about ICLN and related clean energy ETFs...: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3259986&pagenumber=1903&perpage=40#post511503274 (it dropped ~5% since my post)

MOON, the "moonshot" ETF, contains ambitious moonshot companies such as:
Yelp
Juniper Networks
Wix
Zynga
...and a bunch of stuff I'd have to look up

I do own ARKF because I'm bullish on fintech and it's the best of breed fintech ETF.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
their website https://www.direxion.com/product/moonshot-innovators-etf wont let me download the csv for some reason but yeah a lot of these companies arent really as innovative as i would think. arkk seems better to me from a holdings perspective.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

It doesn't track companies that are innovative, it tracks companies that say that they are innovative. By literally saying the word "innovative" in their regulatory filings.

And yeah I posted it because the ticker name and description was funny don't take it seriously lmao

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
oh yeah seems really stupid then lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
laugh it up cowards, MOON is Making Me Money!! Lets get that bread!

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
MOON's whole thing is chasing buzzwords, not so much "actual innovation", so it's very :getin: but also potentially :getout: before it hits the rails

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Lol gently caress me for getting out of doge at 0.04 after buying in at 0.02. Did Elon tweet again or something cause it’s at 0.06 at climbing.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS

Boris Galerkin posted:

Lol gently caress me for getting out of doge at 0.04 after buying in at 0.02. Did Elon tweet again or something cause it’s at 0.06 at climbing.

Elon's been pretty much tweeting about it non-stop. And now a Snoop Dog tweet.. and Gene Simmons.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I’m not going to be even a little surprised when a SPAC trades up to $24 on rumors that it’s going to put all its money into dogecoin.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
The blockchain spacs haven't announced any deals yet. I've got hopes they'll spike.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Is anyone else not motivated by buying stocks that are already very high? Obviously, there are many that do well (TSLA, AMZN, etc, etc). But, I look at it and tell myself, even if that stock goes up 10%, I can only buy 1 or 2, so why not just look at cheaper stocks that I can buy 100+ of that can increase by that much?

I figure that I have my 401k and IRA mostly in large cap funds, so I’m getting that exposure there, so for my brokerage fun money account, I tend to invest in lower cost stocks with share prices typically from $10-100.

Also, this may be a dumb question - I know if you buy a call or put and it’s ITM that you can exercise at that time. What about if I sell a call or put and it goes ITM? Can I exercise early?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You can’t exercise an option you sold, because you don’t own it.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
I'm not sure if by “cheaper” you mean by some sort of valuation metric or just what the price per share is, but it seems like you might be talking about the latter. The price per share doesn't matter at all (except if you can't buy fractional shares and have a small amount of money to invest, causing a large discretisation error), because if the share price increases by 10% then you make 10% whether you hold 1 share or 100.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

jokes posted:

You can’t exercise an option you sold, because you don’t own it.

Got it, thanks. Thought so, but wasn’t sure.

jawbroken posted:

I'm not sure if by “cheaper” you mean by some sort of valuation metric or just what the price per share is, but it seems like you might be talking about the latter. The price per share doesn't matter at all (except if you can't buy fractional shares and have a small amount of money to invest, causing a large discretisation error), because if the share price increases by 10% then you make 10% whether you hold 1 share or 100.

Cheaper meaning not as high of a share price.

And, of course, you’re right and in the back of my mind, I know that, but my dumb brain keeps telling me “no, but a bunch of stocks with a lower share price so you can have more”.

I also like to only purchase shares in multiples of 5 or 10 because I’m OCD about the numbers, so I got that going for me too.

It’s some mental issue and I know it’s wrong, but I can’t get past it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lieutenant Dan posted:

MOON's whole thing is chasing buzzwords, not so much "actual innovation", so it's very :getin: but also potentially :getout: before it hits the rails

yeah this is absolutely true

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hmm, spent some time this morning looking at interest rate and coronavirus data. My portfolios right now are generally a mix of VEA, SCHX, VFH and ARKF.

I think I will be rotating out of VFH and into EMXC sometime in the near future. EMXC is heavy on Asian semiconductor companies and India. It's an emerging markets ex-China ETF.
https://www.ishares.com/us/products/288504/ishares-msci-emerging-markets-ex-china-etf-fund

Check this poo poo out:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/india-coronavirus-cases/2021/02/04/d7f92f72-6562-11eb-bab8-707f8769d785_story.html
and https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/02/01/962821038/the-mystery-of-indias-plummeting-covid-19-cases
India may have reached herd immunity in its major cities? wow. And their businesses are generally fully open? I mean, they're consistently low on this tracker:

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavi...&pickerSort=asc
...because their testing coverage is poor. But even on that tracker, they're trending in the right direction.

I think when winter comes there, they may just power through it.

pmchem fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 7, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
hey now, that's almost 13% profit

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pmchem posted:

hmm, spent some time this morning looking at interest rate and coronavirus data. My portfolios right now are generally a mix of VEA, SCHX, VFH and ARKF.

I think I will be rotating out of VFH and into EMXC sometime in the near future. EMXC is heavy on Asian semiconductor companies and India. It's an emerging markets ex-China ETF.
https://www.ishares.com/us/products/288504/ishares-msci-emerging-markets-ex-china-etf-fund

Check this poo poo out:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/india-coronavirus-cases/2021/02/04/d7f92f72-6562-11eb-bab8-707f8769d785_story.html
and https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/02/01/962821038/the-mystery-of-indias-plummeting-covid-19-cases
India may have reached herd immunity in its major cities? wow. And their businesses are generally fully open? I mean, they're consistently low on this tracker:

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavi...&pickerSort=asc
...because their testing coverage is poor. But even on that tracker, they're trending in the right direction.

I think when winter comes there, they may just power through it.

Pretty crazy yep. I keep thinking there is gonna be another shoe to drop, but they seem relatively unaffected while its run rampant through the country. Amused by the theory that "everyone here has had all sorts of crazy disease already, so immune systems can just shrug it off, especially the old ones who have survived everything".

I don't think *that* means they will have an advantage over china, but a lot of forces are moving against chinese manufacturing.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
doge swung up a whole 2 cents. whaoh.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Aeka 2.0 posted:

doge swung up a whole 2 cents. whaoh.

I have 96 doge, that’s a good candy bars worth of value.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dogecoins add >5 billion more every year, which makes it inflationary. Not steeply so, but still inflationary, contrary to most other cryptos work. It's designed intentionally to keep its own price low (so it could reasonably be used as a currency), rather than a speculative model. It can only even just maintain its value if demand constantly increases. The rate of increasing demand has to outstrip the rate of added supply over time for its value to actually go up, and that is only going to happen on short-term twitter meme basis.

Don't make long-term bets on dogecoin you idiots. If you must play with it, buy it on upswing momentum and sell as soon as you guess it's at a short-term top.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
poo poo. good to know, didnt know about that. At least i only tossed 100 dollars at it.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah I put 10 bux on it hours before RH stopped allowing instant deposits to buy it which hosed its upswing and so now I just have a sell order sitting to break even if it ever hits like 8c again.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Lockheed Martin as a wonderful value stock? Let's look at LMT:

https://simplywall.st/stocks/us/capital-goods/nyse-lmt/lockheed-martin 34% below an automated DCF estimate of fair value
Trefis estimate on TOS also says it should be +20% or so ($408 est, $337 today)
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/LMT/lockheed-martin/market-cap a year ago, its market cap was ~30% higher
its growth rate on TOS are mixed, but its P/E of 13.2 is well below its 5-year avg of 16.7. Return on Equity is an insane 150%

but its revenue growth is steady, EPS growth is real, debt is slowly decreasing, and they have billions in cash on hand despite having recently executed a multi-billion $ acquisition. LMT's FCF/EV (2.5%) and other financial metrics compare favorably to others in the industry (e.g. RTX, HON). the stock has been flat for 9 months so is definitely not overbought or anything.

it's a holding in ARKQ and will be inevitably in ARKX when it launches. the F-35 program can only improve, and no replacement is remotely in sight. if war breaks out anywhere, LMT will be one of the first companies to benefit.

after figuring this out myself, I see someone on reddit had a very, very detailed bullish take on LMT (this is a long read): https://www.reddit.com/r/investing/comments/la7g07/lmt_a_deep_dive/

aside from the risk of the F-35 being canned -- which I consider unlikely -- why shouldn't LMT be a very profitable stock to own?

edit: adding a good twitter thread discussing LMT
https://twitter.com/PortfolioRoc/status/1316833069039575041?s=20

pmchem fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 7, 2021

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

the other big problem with doge is that something like 50% of issued coins are owned by less than 20 people, so the entire game is 'those people allow it to rise, then dump enough to depress the price, repeat'. also, just some back of the napkin math, for doge to actually reach $1 it would take something like ~130 billion invested which uh, isn't going to happen.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Virigoth posted:

Electric cars are great but I just want the drat thing to drive itself.

Just doing a quick search on a few major automakers and their current stock prices:

GM: 54.41
Toyota: 150.86
Volkswagen: 21.88
Daimler: 20.12
Ford: 11.51

Toyota just overtook VW as the world's biggest auto manufacturer, so I get it. GM is putting a lot into EVs, but is having supply issues. I have little faith in Ford, and don't know enough about Daimler. Maybe Volkswagen is worth gambling on?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aruan posted:

the other big problem with doge is that something like 50% of issued coins are owned by less than 20 people, so the entire game is 'those people allow it to rise, then dump enough to depress the price, repeat'. also, just some back of the napkin math, for doge to actually reach $1 it would take something like ~130 billion invested which uh, isn't going to happen.

Also the volume needed to get a result would probably just be better dumped into VOO or something similar, because barring a total economic meltdown, you’ll probably get a better return.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

a few of the bigger named hedge fund longs are very, very bullish on GM. the argument is that GM's share price doesn't reflect their self driving technology (which is quite advanced), and once we start seeing more implementation this will change. steve eisman in particular has argued that within a few years GM's self driving tech will be worth more than the entire company.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Aruan posted:

a few of the bigger named hedge fund longs are very, very bullish on GM. the argument is that GM's share price doesn't reflect their self driving technology (which is quite advanced), and once we start seeing more implementation this will change. steve eisman in particular has argued that within a few years GM's self driving tech will be worth more than the entire company.

I guess my question is, between GM and VW, who has or will have more of their respective markets as time goes on? I don't know enough, but it seems like GM will be fighting a lot of competition in the US, while VW may have less rivals in Europe; I also don't know how GM does overseas, but VW is obviously everywhere. I also have no idea how VW has rebounded from the emissions scam (though I'm on my second VW myself, and am coming up on my Golf's 11th anniversary).

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Red posted:

I guess my question is, between GM and VW, who has or will have more of their respective markets as time goes on? I don't know enough, but it seems like GM will be fighting a lot of competition in the US, while VW may have less rivals in Europe; I also don't know how GM does overseas, but VW is obviously everywhere. I also have no idea how VW has rebounded from the emissions scam (though I'm on my second VW myself, and am coming up on my Golf's 11th anniversary).

I kind of think the real question is "which stock is more underpriced because the pricing doesn't reflect future EV/self-driving production" - and I don't know.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Red posted:

Just doing a quick search on a few major automakers and their current stock prices:

GM: 54.41
Toyota: 150.86
Volkswagen: 21.88
Daimler: 20.12
Ford: 11.51

Toyota just overtook VW as the world's biggest auto manufacturer, so I get it. GM is putting a lot into EVs, but is having supply issues. I have little faith in Ford, and don't know enough about Daimler. Maybe Volkswagen is worth gambling on?

I like VWs prototypes, and if they can start pumping them out with good price/quality then I think they would be my investment pick.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Aruan posted:

This is by far the biggest problem. That and at some point people will get bored or tired of the meme. I don't think 4-5% inflation dooms it anywhere near the level of the first two problems.

That said, I've made quite a bit of cash off it already, just playing this recent swing.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Buy both VW and GM

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I drive a nissan and its silver

NSANY and SLV to the moon

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

drunken officeparty posted:

I drive a nissan and its silver

NSANY and SLV to the moon

In an alternate world that's an Elon Musk tweet and this actually happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

just to further show how absurd doge is: there is a doge billionaire - on paper at least.

doge will rise as high as the big holders will allow it to before they start unloading significant positions, which will crash the market.