Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Suburban Dad posted:

All I can say is I've never had that issue picking songs, also with an index. I've added some manually and also using the auto download install tool thing. Never an issue either way.

Just realized that the entire custom song list must be available thanks to a mod? So maybe the issue is there.. Something not quite up to date maybe. Hard to know as a beginner. Thanks anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Another game where you are a gorilla??
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1270460/TOSS/

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

SirTagz posted:

I have been playing beat saber a bit lately. Downloaded my first custom levels and it is mostly great fun. Wanted to ask a few questions though.. maybe you vets can help?

1. In the custom songs list i am not able to pick songs which are lower down the list. I can scroll down the page but whenever I direct the pointer to the actual song names, the list scroll quickly back to the top. I can kind of try to quickly snap at a song but it is at best a 50-50 chance of hitting it. Any setting changes I can do to make this a more userfriendly experience? How do you manage your custom songs?

2. Is there any way to see what my Steam friends are listening/playing to? I see there is a friends section in the highscore list and I know some of my friends play beat saber.. but I have found no way of browsing the list by friend or finding anything they have done using a search. What options do I have of connecting with my friends which is more casual/indirect than sharing a game code?

PS: Using Index, Steam

That's very strange. I wonder if you have a controller issue. There is a utility to test your controllers in SteamVR you can try out SteamVR Settings -> Controllers -> Test Controllers. I have BeatSaber and over 100 custom songs and I have never had that happen with my index.

edit:

SirTagz posted:

Just realized that the entire custom song list must be available thanks to a mod? So maybe the issue is there.. Something not quite up to date maybe. Hard to know as a beginner. Thanks anyways

Did you install and run ModAssistant?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

gently caress's sake they make it real hard to get into a private Bridge Crew game with friends on the Quest. You can only invite through the ubisoft account or by posting to facebook, but if you aren't already friends on ubisoft with the person you can't add them so go get on the computer and add them as a friend first.. it won't be so bad now that we figured that part out but it's real annoying I can't just bring people in from my party or invite through the Oculus frontend.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

explosivo posted:

gently caress's sake they make it real hard to get into a private Bridge Crew game with friends on the Quest. You can only invite through the ubisoft account or by posting to facebook, but if you aren't already friends on ubisoft with the person you can't add them so go get on the computer and add them as a friend first.. it won't be so bad now that we figured that part out but it's real annoying I can't just bring people in from my party or invite through the Oculus frontend.

Bridge crew predates that stuff existing

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

As someone with a vested interest in simian themed vr locomotion games, I checked it out, and have some strong feelings about it.

First off, it's extremely similar to Climbey. The way you grab stuff and throw off is basically the same, but it doesn't have any artificial locomotion at all (now that I think about it, I'm only pretty sure about this, but at least I didn't try to use any and the levels are set up such that you'd never need it). This is generally fine, but I really, really don't like the way they handled this particular interaction:

https://i.imgur.com/T1CL4fd.mp4

you can see that little hitch; it's more exaggerated here because I was trying to make it more obvious, but basically you aren't throwing off in a smooth motion. You only get disconnected from the surface you throw off of when you let go of the trigger, but unless you throw up early enough, you've stopping going in a straight line and start curving because of the arc your hand is moving in. Then, when you let go, it throws you off not at your current velocity, but at some average or smoothed velocity, so you change trajectory. I spent a good amount of time trying to address this in Gorilla Tag; I also smooth out the velocity a little (I average it over 8 frames or so I think), but you can only push away from surfaces (or parallel with them), so while you're pushing, once your velocity goes above some threshold, it starts moving you along that velocity (multiplied by 1.1 to 1.3 depending on whether you got a speed boost or not). But, it doesn't have that hitching movement because you don't have to consciously let go, once your hand would start taking you down back towards the surface you pushed off of, you're already moving away from it, so it's smooth every time. This isn't as much of an issue in a game where you're jumping infrequently, but if it's the main way you're moving and you get that hitch at every jump, it can be uncomfortable.

Also smaller things like you can only grab with the trigger (not the grip button? what?), you can only grab surfaces your hand is facing (not inherently the worst, but it means that if you think you rotated your hand enough to grab the surface, if you didn't quite you just slip and fall which can feel arbitrary), and it's got no ik teleporting after you die and laser pointer floating ui out the wazoo which I think all is lame. That said I'm glad they're trying stuff out, and it's only a demo so who knows how things could change.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

explosivo posted:

it's real annoying I can't just bring people in from my party or invite through the Oculus frontend.

Since they support cross-play between Oculus and Steam they can't use either of those systems' frontends for multiplayer; they have to roll their own.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

RFC2324 posted:

Just toss them into something janky with weird controls, like having to deal with vive controls through virtual desktop.

Ideally find something where the vive controls don't make sense to begin with.

I get where you’re coming from, but the nature of how they had things set up wouldn’t make this too viable. Can’t get too into it due to NDAs but it wasn’t much of a game as far as interactivity goes.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Warbird posted:

I get where you’re coming from, but the nature of how they had things set up wouldn’t make this too viable. Can’t get too into it due to NDAs but it wasn’t much of a game as far as interactivity goes.

I actually assumed whatever it was was a proprietary environment, I'm just saying give them a broken proprietary environment and see how they manage. Seems like a good idea that would be even easier with the advances in tech.

I may also think crazy interviews that you tell your friends about are good

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Just tried Propagation, thought it was super well done and now my index finger hurts from shooting as fast as I could

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Don't think anyone mentioned yet that the Pimax 8KX is now on Amazon with 2-day Prime:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08G8HWYJ2/

$1450 for 3840x2160 per eye, 200-degree FOV, (in other words the same vertical/horizontal clarity as the Reverb G2 with roughly double the FOV) and incredibly janky software and support. Amazon is the only place I'd suggest anyone buy them from as you can at least try and return it easily if you have buyer's remorse. You'll still need lighthouse and wands/knuckles.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Is there any site gathering experiences with access points and Virtual Desktop. I'm considering going the dedicated access point route and would rather stick to cheaper AC models, which by my understanding should be enough with dedicated. I remembering seeing some posts where a router which by the specs should have worked one just didn't cut it for mysterious reasons.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am getting really tired of fighting with WiFi on virtual desktop.

First I bought a refurb TPLink Archer A6, my bad for buying refurb, I didn’t notice until it was too late. It worked flawlessly for a week then started to have stuttering problems. Returned it.

Then I bought the latest intel WiFi 6 pci express card to put in my pc to use as a hotspot. Turns out windows 10 released an update so the hotspot only uses 20mhz of bandwidth. Now the hotspot is limited to 286mbps, not the 800 or so you need to really run virtual desktop.

I’m really hoping my latest solution is the last one. I bought one of these on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JD7F7G/

It has 40k glowing reviews so it had better be good and hopefully won’t poo poo the bed in a week

Rant over, Burger King drive through, etc

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 7, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
My AC68U with tomato is wired to my desktop and is in the same room as my Quest (4-6m away). Minimal lag (i.e. is only really noticable when going back to native Quest, and hardly even then) and minimal problems. For me a dedicated router was the answer, so hopefully that will fix it for you.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Then I bought the latest intel WiFi 6 pci express card to put in my pc to use as a hotspot. Turns out windows 10 released an update so the hotspot only uses 20mhz of bandwidth. Now the hotspot is limited to 286mbps, not the 800 or so you need to really run virtual desktop.

There's an easy workaround. Connect to an existing 5.0GHZ network first, then launch the 5.0GHZ hotspot, then you can disconnect from the other network. You can even script the whole thing to a toggle if you want. Once the 5.0ghz network is active you can hotspot from it.

PC Hotspot is kinda janky though, works decently as a solution if you're near your PC but not your router but it has much worse problems with distance and interference. In general a good router is a much better solution.

edit: Yeah just tested. 1,200Mbps

Lockback fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 7, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

tried some bed VR gaming, forgot that just because a game supports seated mode doesn't mean they aren't going to expect you to reach below waist level :doh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lockback posted:

There's an easy workaround. Connect to an existing 5.0GHZ network first, then launch the 5.0GHZ hotspot, then you can disconnect from the other network. You can even script the whole thing to a toggle if you want. Once the 5.0ghz network is active you can hotspot from it.

PC Hotspot is kinda janky though, works decently as a solution if you're near your PC but not your router but it has much worse problems with distance and interference. In general a good router is a much better solution.

edit: Yeah just tested. 1,200Mbps

I’ll try this thanks! I bought a WiFi adapter with a big external antenna dongle with like a 3 foot cord, so when I’m using it, the antennae have clear line of sight and are only about 6 feet away, so that should be good on that end

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

PC VR gaming depresses me, because since VD got the performance monitor, I'm seeing how even games that aren't super advanced graphically can't reach the 90fps. Until you Fall runs at 70fps! My gtx 1080 is aging fast.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

drat Dirty Ape posted:

That's very strange. I wonder if you have a controller issue. There is a utility to test your controllers in SteamVR you can try out SteamVR Settings -> Controllers -> Test Controllers. I have BeatSaber and over 100 custom songs and I have never had that happen with my index.

Did you install and run ModAssistant?

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't know what it was. I ran mod assistant again and installed e few more mods and when I played the next time, everything was perfect. BS is certainly my most played VR experience atm.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Just finished Half Life: Alyx and DAMMIT do I want more.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Just finished Half Life: Alyx and DAMMIT do I want more.

Should be ready in about 15 years when valve enters the videogame brain chip market.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

The 7th Guest posted:

tried some bed VR gaming, forgot that just because a game supports seated mode doesn't mean they aren't going to expect you to reach below waist level :doh:

Just a moment ago I tried Netflix on the Quest, and when I took a nice position on my couch I ended up behind the virtual couch and couldn't see the screen. Haven't yet figured out how to reset my position.

Also got Elite working through Virtual Desktop, except I couldn't get pass the menu. Quest controllers, mouse, keyboard, joystick, nothing does anything at the menu. Delightfully janky experience trying to troubleshoot with the pot on the head. "Do I have wrong type of controllers? Should I emulate different controllers? Where do I change the controller type?"

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Cartoon Man posted:

Should be ready in about 15 years when valve enters the videogame brain chip market.

:negative:

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Turin Turambar posted:

PC VR gaming depresses me, because since VD got the performance monitor, I'm seeing how even games that aren't super advanced graphically can't reach the 90fps. Until you Fall runs at 70fps! My gtx 1080 is aging fast.

If this wasn't bothering you before you turned on the performance monitor, maybe it doesn't matter as much as the performance monitor would lead you to think it does.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

virtual desktop will only play VR games through the steam vr interface right? if I own something on the oculus store, it seems like I can only play it through link

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Booyah- posted:

virtual desktop will only play VR games through the steam vr interface right? if I own something on the oculus store, it seems like I can only play it through link

Nope - Oculus store games work. Launch them through the Games menu in VD - left controller Oculus button on Q2

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Thom and the Heads posted:

Nope - Oculus store games work. Launch them through the Games menu in VD - left controller Oculus button on Q2

Oh duh, I forgot about that launcher since I'd had to boot some things like doom 3 from the desktop. Thanks!

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Saukkis posted:

Just a moment ago I tried Netflix on the Quest, and when I took a nice position on my couch I ended up behind the virtual couch and couldn't see the screen. Haven't yet figured out how to reset my position.

Also got Elite working through Virtual Desktop, except I couldn't get pass the menu. Quest controllers, mouse, keyboard, joystick, nothing does anything at the menu. Delightfully janky experience trying to troubleshoot with the pot on the head. "Do I have wrong type of controllers? Should I emulate different controllers? Where do I change the controller type?"

Elite in VR will be using whatever controllers you had setup previously so there should be no change from when you were playing it flat. One issue I have had however is that once you launch it there will be an error popup that will take focus off the game. It'll still be playing fine in your headset but the game doesn't have focus so it doesn't see any of your inputs. You just need to tab back into the game and it should work fine.

If you are using virtual desktop you can hold the menu button on the left controller to bring up the VD menu then press the switch to desktop button and make sure the elite window has focus, then swap back to VR via the VD menu again if you don't want to take the headset off to do it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Propagation is the good kind of spooky.

I used the pistol a lot more than the shotgun because it was a lot easier to aim. Anyone got suggestions for using the shotgun?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

LLSix posted:

Propagation is the good kind of spooky.

I used the pistol a lot more than the shotgun because it was a lot easier to aim. Anyone got suggestions for using the shotgun?

Shotgun's hard because there's no flashlight on it, really it was just finding the opportunity to use it when there was a bigger dude to kill. You can put the shells in pretty quickly, if you hold the gun down by your waist where the shells are it reloads real quick.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I think pistol is just better, shotgun is for backup if something is stuck on you and you need it off.

With the pistol I hold a mag in my support hand so I can reload when I have a split second

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Saukkis posted:

Hold the Oculus button and it’ll reset where your viewpoint is.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ah yes, but do they sell silly little hats for your gorilla to wear

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm wondering if the nvidia driver bug that was fixed that caused stuttering just doesn't work in VD yet for some reason. I was using Oculus Link maybe a month ago, and had soso performance on a 2070 super. Skyrim would drop to 80fps with no supersampling, Same deal for some other games. And, it's been the same thing in VD which I used almost exclusively until yesterday.

But then the other day I swapped back to using the link cable, solid 90 in Skyrim at 150% super sampling. Tested out a couple other games, still, a solid 90.

It's either that, or the encoding VD does is tying up my GPU, not exactly sure.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm going to guess cramming whatever pixelrate over wifi requires an agressive encoding scheme that does a number on your framerate?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Where do you find the VD performance monitor? I had it on at one time, turned it off and now I can’t find it anymore

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I want to play doom 3 so I bought it on steam but I only have a mac, so I can’t get the install files I need.

Is there any way to get the files out of the file without installing it?

My quest 2 has taken over my life (timed perfectly with lockdown). Really loving pop one, and onward. Hugely impressed overall.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Where do you find the VD performance monitor? I had it on at one time, turned it off and now I can’t find it anymore

Streaming tab, bottom left option on the right.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

He stupid question, but I have a RIft CV1 which I haven't used in something like a year or so, so I'm thinking of selling it.

I forget when I originally bought it/set it up, but is its serial# tied to my name or something? Is there any problem selling one 2nd hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

slidebite posted:

He stupid question, but I have a RIft CV1 which I haven't used in something like a year or so, so I'm thinking of selling it.

I forget when I originally bought it/set it up, but is its serial# tied to my name or something? Is there any problem selling one 2nd hand?

No problem at all. I assume any free games that came with it are tied to your serial/account, but as long as you don't advertise it as including any games, you'll be fine.