Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Nakar posted:

Was there a chance that the guard target was the bodyguard for a main mission target or something? Some -- but weirdly, not all -- personal bodyguards have special AI where, instead of picking up a weapon if they spot it, they call the nearest guard other than themselves to come get it so they don't leave their charge alone.

This is probably what it was, I think they might have been one of Francesca De Santis' bodyguards in Sapienza. Either way, I am real bad at using the "easy options", though I have now done 40 featured contracts and don't believe there are any more semi-hidden unlockables in H2 so I am done for now.

Nakar posted:

Personal bodyguards have the weird psychic ability to know exactly when their charges are dead and will either go looking for them or alter their schedules. A good example is if you kill Penelope Graves while she's inside the farmhouse in Colorado, her guards at the front door will immediately decide to come in looking for her. Otherwise they stand there until she leaves. There is no logical reason they'd come inside, they just do because Graves died and they magically know it.

drat it, I should have realised this when I did it. I resorted to injecting her with poison while she looked at the clock, then scampering down into the basement (where Sean Rose's body was waiting for me) before the guards noticed. Every time I feel like being a bit nicer about Colorado there's some sort of bollocks getting in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

The_Doctor posted:

Good grief, I was just doing the Dartmoor Baskerville Escalation. Stage 2 is required accidental deaths, stage 3 adds the rather unnecessary limitation you only get 60 seconds between them once you kill the first person. And they still have to be accidental.

I’m going to KO all the guards and staff, and then KO the family, drag them all into the living room, and drop the chandelier on them.

The house is basically an accident factory, don't need to go to those lengths.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Pirate Jet posted:

Not sure where this idea of “balance doesn’t matter in a single player game” came from but it is definitely not true. I don’t miss the phone.
Balance doesn't matter in this single player game.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Nakar posted:

The house is basically an accident factory, don't need to go to those lengths.

Yeah, there's a lot of different ways to approach it. The dinner bell lets you get at least two of them as well, the biggest challenge is getting Gregory not to freak out.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Every time I try and drop the lighting rig in Paris my PS4 freezes.

On the other hand, I played through 'House of Sand' for the first time last night, prefer it to the standard map. I found the market area in Marrakesh and the plaza in Sapienza to be odd in the usual missions besides adding some nice sense of place, but otherwise they seem like mostly wasted space.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

nexus6 posted:

Also, it seems pretty much impossible to kill Royce in the break room after she yells at people without her bodyguard immediately coming in. You can throw distractions all over the place and the dude will never come in until the moment you stab/garotte her.

If you go to her room and use the terminal to fire that one guard by the door he'll talk to her bodyguard, who just happens to be his best friend. Royce will continue with her loop but her bodyguard will not be by her side for a couple of minutes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

justcola posted:

On the other hand, I played through 'House of Sand' for the first time last night, prefer it to the standard map. I found the market area in Marrakesh and the plaza in Sapienza to be odd in the usual missions besides adding some nice sense of place, but otherwise they seem like mostly wasted space.

Yeah default Marrakesh puts the targets in an office building and a small CoD level and the actually-interesting part of the map is used as a hub.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Why is the umbrella a hostile item on casual? It's raining. I have an umbrella. Stop shooting me you fucks.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Guilty posted:

it's easier to set up the electric trap at the water cooler and then lure her out. Or you can put an emetic poison in the air conditioner and she'll run to the bathroom

How do you do this without electrocuting yourself? Can you turn the power off?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Is shooting the cooler and powerstrip (assuming there is one) a viable option? You can expedite a lot of interactions like that by shooting.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

nexus6 posted:

How do you do this without electrocuting yourself? Can you turn the power off?

Wait til the literal last moment to puncture the reservoir and you have a second to run away before the puddle forms.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
With water cooler traps and plugs, you can also shoot either the cooler or the plug. Kind of hard to do with the break room one, but it is an option at least.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Does a body that is not stashed but is not discovered by an NPC affect ratings? Say an unconscious one in a place nobody ends up going.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Anjow posted:

Does a body that is not stashed but is not discovered by an NPC affect ratings? Say an unconscious one in a place nobody ends up going.

If no one ever finds it, it is the same as if you hid it.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

elf help book posted:

If no one ever finds it, it is the same as if you hid it.

Except you don't get the trivial "body hidden" extra points :pseudo:

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Dumping bodies over ledges into areas that are technically not 'hidden' as such but still inaccessible (such as a roof) is a pro strat. Got out of a sticky situation in Berlin doing that during a run last night.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Are placed explosives accidents?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

DalaranJ posted:

Are placed explosives accidents?

they are not, but if they detonate something that is (propane tank, fuel tank, etc) and THAT explosion is what kills the target then that does count as an accident. so you can sometimes cheese it a little where you put the explosive just out of range of the target themselves, or put the accident explosive in between them and your remote mine

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The following things are considered accidents, based on how Contracts Mode classifies them:
  • FALLING OBJECT: A chandelier or kickable bricks/toilets, fairly intuitive so not too much to explain here. Note that a falling object makes a loud noise when it lands so anyone nearby will generally be drawn to the body and find it, but it is an accident so it's not going to hurt score (but it could change NPC behavior, so watch for that).
  • FALL: This one's a little tricky because it applies to both pushing/kicking people over railings and off ledges and to pushing/dumping people into water (which you'd think is Drowning, but it is not). It's also tricky because some falls are non-lethal; check whether the Push/Kick/Dump prompt says "Eliminate" to know this. There isn't a set height where this happens, as for example first floor windows in Dartmoor are lethal falls even though they don't look like they should be. Note that pushing or dumping someone into water automatically renders the body hidden even if the corpse is floating there rather obviously; the game will eventually run a cleanup script where it drags the corpse down and eventually deletes it from the environment to save on performance, which is why killing the entire map can cause chugging but dumping everyone into the Seine on Paris can maintain stability.
  • EXPLOSION: This applies exclusively to propane, gas canisters and other environmental explodables, and cars/bikes; actual explosives are considered an Explosive Device kill and are not accidents, but as mentioned, other explosives can trigger Explosion accidents. Gas, if leaking, can also be set off by any sort of spark, including key hackers, tasers, and the Remote EMP (the EMP itself won't trigger anything, but the sparks when the device shorts out afterward will). Bullets cannot set off gas but if shot at a leaking gas object will detonate it. Needless to say, explosions of any sort will cause a panic.
  • ELECTROCUTION: This one's quite obvious because it has a unique death animation and applies to plug/water combos, tasers in water, and anyone holding a taser when it's set off (this will only be guards). Outside of tasers there's no way to set this off without a specific environmental setup. Note that electrified puddles will generally only shock once, after which they will lose their charge. They can be recharged if the electrical source is connected to a toggled plug or generator; the first shock will "short out" the electrical source and turn it off, but it can be re-activated by turning it back on. Without that, you can usually only electrify something once.
  • FIRE: This one is also obvious due to its unique death animation and the only way to trigger it is environmental stuff, usually red cans that leak an oil puddle which can be subsequently shot or triggered by a spark. Because the NPC screams, it tends to attract a ton of attention that other accidents may not always attract.
  • DROWNING: 99.9% of the time this means drowning someone in a toilet and nothing else. The NPC does not need to be sick from an emetic to be drowned, they just need to be close enough to the toilet and facing it such that 47 can walk up behind them and use the prompt (so a coin on the toilet seat can work as a lure). There are a tiny handful of situations where shallow environmental water counts as Drowning, notably the puddles in Colorado and the Hokkaido spa, but this isn't universal; I believe Haven's shallow water counts as a Fall but I'm not sure (and apparently the Dartmoor water crossings don't kill at all). To kill someone you either need to knock them down in the water or drag their unconscious body into or through the water such that they're partially submerged. Note that I said knock down, not knock out; throwing a muffin at someone or legshotting them so that they fall over in the water will kill them without technically counting as a KO, so you can use this method on people even if No Pacifications is a requirement.
There's also a weird pseudo-accident that happens if an NPC gets stuck in a position where it cannot stand up after being knocked down or the game doesn't know where the NPC is supposed to be positioned (non-lethal shots from weaker sniper rifles or the Striker/Matador can cause this). The game will, eventually, just kill the NPC and declare it an accident kill (and also, oddly, a melee kill), but it is lying and it will not be treated as an accident and will ruin SA if the death was witnessed or the body found. You'll almost never see this outside of Sapienza where some of the shots into the ocean are kind of weird.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've been playing the Dubai map for more than an hour trying to get the Nightcrawler challenge. Three times the Sheik has come up to the penthouse, tried to speak to Carl then just gone back downstairs. Is this bugged or is there a 50/50 chance he'll stay upstairs?

edit: Still got 20 mastery on Dubai without doing those sheik challenges

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 7, 2021

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Nakar posted:

With water cooler traps and plugs, you can also shoot either the cooler or the plug.

:aaaaa: I can not loving believe this never crossed my mind. I am a bad hitman :smith:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

nexus6 posted:

I've been playing the Dubai map for more than an hour trying to get the Nightcrawler challenge. Three times the Sheik has come up to the penthouse, tried to speak to Carl then just gone back downstairs. Is this bugged or is there a 50/50 chance he'll stay upstairs?

It's just awful game design. He will lie down eventually.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

When mastering Colorado I learned that the stripped wire plug also throws sparks to cause a gas explosion. Obviously, the complication is that this is not very useful unless you can toggle the power off because it will just kill you immediately.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

nexus6 posted:

I was in the same boat and thought that maybe he only lies down once so I restarted, grabbed an elite guard outfit, and just tailed him for his first cycle. It still took 10 minutes but the first time he got to his room he lay down. Not sure if lucky or correct.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
It's bullshit that you can get the achievement for drowning Royce in the coolant tank, but you don't get the drowning achievement as part of Versatile Assassin.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I had the Sheik wake up almost instantly one time when I was in the room when he laid down. It may be that if he "detects" you in some capacity he won't go to sleep, but I don't know the specifics.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

A lot of challenges seem like they’re hosed up. I can’t get the gold bar pacification in Dubai to work, or the grape one in Mendoza. It also seems really easy to break the scripting in Mendoza and lead to a target just freezing up. I was able to repeat it by taking a picture of one of the QR codes when I was supposed to be taking a picture of the woman. It would not only freeze her in place, but she would no longer appear in red either.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

man I have never even seen the sheik outside his speech at the beginning of Dubai. I swear no matter how many times I play a level eventually I like open a door and find out it’s actually twice the size I thought it was and there’s this whole separate ecosystem I didn’t know existed

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

AdmiralViscen posted:

A lot of challenges seem like they’re hosed up. I can’t get the gold bar pacification in Dubai to work, or the grape one in Mendoza. It also seems really easy to break the scripting in Mendoza and lead to a target just freezing up. I was able to repeat it by taking a picture of one of the QR codes when I was supposed to be taking a picture of the woman. It would not only freeze her in place, but she would no longer appear in red either.

For the grape one in Mendoza, put it on the ground where someone will slip on it. The challenge text is wrong.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
if I have the hitman 1 dlc for hitman 2, do I get the levels in hitman 3?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Nalesh posted:

if I have the hitman 1 dlc for hitman 2, do I get the levels in hitman 3?

On PC? You will before the end of February, apparently.

For other platforms you need to do some kind of manual import from Hitman 2 itself I think

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Wait so they're launching elusive targets for hitman 1 levels before everyone even has the levels because of their fuckups?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The ET is at the very end of the month, they might have launched the transfer system by then

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Everyone who bought H3 in the first 10 days has H1 levels, it was a free add-on. People who waited but own H1 levels in H2 are kinda hosed though, yeah.

^^^^ unless this guy’s right

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Also, when the Sheik in Dubai says "Help from my cousins" he's talking about the Sheik from Hitman 1 and 2. They have the same last name.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
In Hokkaido, who is the dude you let out of the morgue drawer? Like obviously it's a callback to something from an older game, but which one exactly?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

In Hokkaido, who is the dude you let out of the morgue drawer? Like obviously it's a callback to something from an older game, but which one exactly?

It's Agent Carlton Smith, a semicompetent CIA/Interpol agent who you run into throughout the series. He's made an appearance in literally every Hitman game, with the possible exception of Hitman III/2021.

Here's his fandom wiki page: https://hitman.fandom.com/wiki/Carlton_Smith

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Wizard of the Deep posted:

It's Agent Carlton Smith, a semicompetent CIA/Interpol agent who you run into throughout the series. He's made an appearance in literally every Hitman game, with the possible exception of Hitman III/2021.

Is he the dude you fake the death of and then take out of a morgue in bloodmoney(?)

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Nalesh posted:

Is he the dude you fake the death of and then take out of a morgue in bloodmoney(?)

Yup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟