Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Voodoo Cafe posted:

What else should I be looking at for my upcoming games list? Can be new or old. In a moment of weakness I almost bought Daikatana on GOG, but came to my senses at the last minute.

Zeno Clash. :goshawk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Absolutely play FEAR and then never ever ever play FEAR 2 that is one of the most baffling sequels Ive ever played its just so very bad even before you get the ending nasty stuff warning raped by a ghost

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

caleb posted:

Zeno Clash. :goshawk:

Are these games any good? I’ve had both in my library for years. Weird as gently caress character designs.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Barudak posted:

Absolutely play FEAR and then never ever ever play FEAR 2 that is one of the most baffling sequels Ive ever played its just so very bad even before you get the ending nasty stuff warning raped by a ghost
FEAR 2 is terrible but the low-key disintegration of the troopers as they lose cohesion ending with this loving song playing during a turret section https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTLXxi0Gkgg where you mow the last few down en masse is just, I don't know, it's like an extended slow mo man getting hit with football and that spoiled bit happens right after just to make certain you know and they know you know that tonal whiplash was not a design concern.

Actually I guess it's more than anything is aggressively mediocre in a saddening way and then it's back to shooting hops and hanging out at ghost school.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
FEAR 2 is, somehow, one of my favourite games. God, that turret sequence, and it's weird to say this, is amazing.

Poor Beckett got screwed by Steve Niles in 3 though. :(

I need to get Zeno Clash at some point. It's by the people who made Batman Doom.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

They never ever again reached the amazing highs of the FEAR 1 shotgun. The shotguns in FEAR 2 were loving trash and I remember nothing about the FEAR 3 shotgun.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

catlord posted:

I need to get Zeno Clash at some point. It's by the people who made Batman Doom.

I remember loving Zeno Clash when it first came out, and I enjoyed the second game too. But I played them again a couple years ago and they just felt off. A bit too archaic or rigid for my tastes now.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

fear 2 is fine, gameplay-wise. it just kind of drags on bit, which becomes more of an issue when the gameplay is mostly just fine and not amazing.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Did Fear 2 still have the jump kicks? I can't remember. 2 and 3 kinda blend together in my mind as a mishmash of wasted potential.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Fear 2 at least has a lot more varied locations and a wider enemy roster, instead of office, office, office, roof of office building, more office, and the same 3 enemy types with a mech thrown in every 5 stages.
fear 1 is still amazing but jesus does it become a visual bore after a few hours.

2 also has my favorite enemy in the series, the dudes who puppet control dead bodies.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The combat loop and music in FEAR 1 are fantastic but goddamn is the level design a bore and the “horror” stuff hasn’t aged well at all.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The combat loop and music in FEAR 1 are fantastic but goddamn is the level design a bore and the “horror” stuff hasn’t aged well at all.

I love FEAR’s design and am the only person I know who was totally okay with its environments. The arc from industrial park to posh office/lab space then to tenements and descending into the bowels of a hidden, abandoned research base just did it for me in a way nothing ever had before and almost nothing has since. It’s GREAT. And the horror gets lost in the shuffle sometimes, but when it all snaps into focus at the end it sticks the landing. Such a shame it only got one mediocre sequel. Really.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I actually really like F.E.A.R.'s aesthetic, sure the horror stuff is a little goofy but for whatever reason when you combined it with the offices and industrial spaces it makes them feel weird and unsettling. I get the same feeling playing through F.E.A.R. that I do when looking through this twitter account:

https://twitter.com/Liminal_Places/status/1356964672579244032
https://twitter.com/Liminal_Places/status/1356467906461237254/photo/1

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

If you liked F.E.A.R. you'll probably like Control as well. I get very similar spooky office building vibes from both games.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

UnknownMercenary posted:

They never ever again reached the amazing highs of the FEAR 1 shotgun. The shotguns in FEAR 2 were loving trash and I remember nothing about the FEAR 3 shotgun.

I can agree with that. The shotgun in FEAR 1 is definitely one of the best in the genre, it's just so meaty. FEAR 2's shotguns are ok, they still rip enemies apart and with the gooey chunks its still satisfying enough. FEAR 3's shotgun looks neat, I like the top-loading thing it's got going on, and the damage skins are fun so if you shoot someone in the face with it it'll tear their face off, but they need at least two headshots with it and it definitely doesn't feel powerful.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
JFC GoldenEye Surface 2 on 00 Agent is just an enormous sack of poo poo. The second you start, the game basically spawns an enemy every 10 seconds which homes directly in on you, and also equips almost everyone with Klobbs so you end up using the PP7 for the whole level. Also the extra objectives are 1: find and shoot the tiny cameras in the middle of nowhere and 2: hahahaha don't use the computer like you did last time, gently caress YOU DO IT AGAIN

Grant Kirkhope should have just done a MIDI version of the Benny Hill theme for this level, that's how loving tedious it is

Convex fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 7, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

The second you start the game basically spawns an enemy every 10 seconds which homes directly in on you
It actually does!

quote:

Arguably my favourite feature, is how GoldenEye is built to punish louder and more aggressive gunplay if the player isn't progressing through the level fast enough. Remember how I said earlier that NPCs don't activate their AI behaviour if they haven't been rendered yet? Well, in the event a NPC can hear a sound, but it's not been rendered, it will spawn a clone of itself to investigate the source and will continue to do so until either the disturbance has ceased or the camera has finally rendered the character. This is particularly noticeable in levels such as the Archives, where you can easily get trapped in the interrogation room at the start of the level by continually spawning clones.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Convex posted:

JFC GoldenEye Surface 2 on 00 Agent is just an enormous sack of poo poo. The second you start, the game basically spawns an enemy every 10 seconds which homes directly in on you, and also equips almost everyone with Klobbs so you end up using the PP7 for the whole level. Also the extra objectives are 1: find and shoot the tiny cameras in the middle of nowhere and 2: hahahaha don't use the computer like you did last time, gently caress YOU DO IT AGAIN

Grant Kirkhope should have just done a MIDI version of the Benny Hill theme for this level, that's how loving tedious it is

I’m like barely making it to the end here on my first playthrough, and motherfucker, this game is such a fucker. Like thank god the levels are relatively short, because you can just absolutely gently caress yourself over with a single misstep. Like it’s fun, but it’s also the most aggressively hostile experience I’ve had in a good while.

That clone spawning thing makes me want to punch a hole in the wall.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
FEAR 2's decent but it's no FEAR. FEAR 3 is awful and anyone who tells you otherwise is a satanist.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Convex posted:

And you haven't even gotten to Bunker 2 yet (the annoying difficulty of which ended my Secret Agent run and made me bump down to Agent)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

And you haven't even gotten to Bunker 2 yet (the annoying difficulty of which ended my Secret Agent run and made me bump down to Agent)

I 100%'d it about 22 years ago but i think i just blanked out the worst parts, replaced only with memories of Eiffel 65 and the crushing revelations of adolescence. Only now, as an adult fully succombed to the crushing nature of modern existence, can I truly appreciate the raw genital-crushing embrace of peak-Rare gameplay

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Yea this happens in the first bunker (haven’t gotten to bunker part 2 yet)

If an enemy hits the alarm, or the camera does, it’s not an instant-fail but the game spawns an endless wave of elite troopers with dual Kolb’s.

Also for shits I loaded up the Aztec level last night and holy poo poo AR equipped enemies are no joke. I got cut to pieces the moment I stepped out of the little tunnel you spawn in.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

wafflemoose posted:

If you liked F.E.A.R. you'll probably like Control as well. I get very similar spooky office building vibes from both games.

Control is a fun game but man does its combat get ridiculously hard way too fast, and I think the developers realized this as they eventually added a cheat menu that has no impact on gaining achievements under the guise of being "Accessibility Options"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

drrockso20 posted:

Control is a fun game but man does its combat get ridiculously hard way too fast, and I think the developers realized this as they eventually added a cheat menu that has no impact on gaining achievements under the guise of being "Accessibility Options"

i think that might be a 'you' problem, there was never a point where i had to adjust the difficulty. there's even multiple ways to just utterly break the combat to the point where you're untouchable.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I was kinda thinking of waiting til I had a good raytracing card for control since apparently it's the best implementation so far?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Combat in control is just fine as long as you prioritize throw first but I like the implication that tuning a games difficulty to fit your individual needs isn't an accessibility feature

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Control is one of my four platinums on PS4 and combat is great but you have to abuse certain AI patterns. Flying enemies will dodge throw once, not twice since they have a cooldown on dodge (same goes for Tomasi). Once you get a bunch of powers is a matter of rotating them and of course using pierce quite a bit.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Mordja posted:

FEAR 2's decent but it's no FEAR. FEAR 3 is awful and anyone who tells you otherwise is a satanist.

I'm mostly positive on FEAR 3, it's got some real highlights, but the story shits itself at the end of Interval 07, the regenerating health completely changes up the gameplay and level design, the co-op is simultaneously ignorable and grating, and the shotgun... well, I've talked about the shotgun. But I love the prison, the mall, and the suburbs.

I wish Monolith had finished off the series though. Or that they'd make a new one. Or that WB wouldn't just forget about the franchise and leave FEAR Online as the last bit in the series...

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Guillermus posted:

Control is one of my four platinums on PS4 and combat is great but you have to abuse certain AI patterns. Flying enemies will dodge throw once, not twice since they have a cooldown on dodge (same goes for Tomasi). Once you get a bunch of powers is a matter of rotating them and of course using pierce quite a bit.

I played through Control on base PS4 and thought it rocked, i wound up re-buying it on PC to play it at 60 fps and while "testing" the game after downloading it I wound up playing it for like three hours. It's a great example of how any game really just needs an exceptionally enjoyable ~30 second combat loop and encounters designed around putting pressure on the player in various ways to be fun as gently caress.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Control didn’t gel with me but I appreciate what it’s doing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Control had the basics of good combat but the systems around it (especially the endless nearly identical drops) kind of killed it for me.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I enjoyed Control best when I was out of combat.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My problem with Control is that it didn't have enough enemy variety and by the time I was in the back 1/4th I'd definitely felt like I had more than enough.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

My problem with Control is that it didn't have enough enemy variety and by the time I was in the back 1/4th I'd definitely felt like I had more than enough.

This is my main issue too and the under use of the setting which is sort of SCP rip off but here it's a couple of weird things and endless grey rooms and generic shooter enemies.

John Murdoch posted:

The difficulty curve of Control is a big, random scribble because any given fight can be randomly harder than the ones surrounding it (especially when side missions/bosses can be tackled as you like) and the RPG mechanics mean that you can build your character anywhere from an untouchable, unkillable god or a completely useless sack of poo poo that has to desperately hide behind cover all the time and can barely do anything.

And it seems to heavily rely on whether physics means you can find something explosive to throw or if you happen to end up next to something explosive at the wrong time.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 8, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The difficulty curve of Control is a big, random scribble because any given fight can be randomly harder than the ones surrounding it (especially when side missions/bosses can be tackled as you like) and the RPG mechanics mean that you can build your character anywhere from an untouchable, unkillable god or a completely useless sack of poo poo that has to desperately hide behind cover all the time and can barely do anything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Control if all your level up points go to Health, Throw Damage, and MP "I am a god, kneel mortals!"
Control if you dump points into seize, melee damage, and hover "Oh god please don't let them notice me"

Both playstyles can be enhanced by slapping on damage+ onto shatter and the personal mods that make pickups heal you for more.

Reive posted:

Fear 2 at least has a lot more varied locations and a wider enemy roster, instead of office, office, office, roof of office building, more office, and the same 3 enemy types with a mech thrown in every 5 stages.
fear 1 is still amazing but jesus does it become a visual bore after a few hours.

2 also has my favorite enemy in the series, the dudes who puppet control dead bodies.

It was chock overloaded with Cyber Blue and a rainbow of ugly dust colors from my memory. FEAR1 is Grey City in the nation of Concreteistan but it was less intrusive for me than FEAR2s electric color pops.

I think what FEAR2 really suffers from is it was clearly developed to be an "Im not touching you" FEAR knockoff game that was supposed to be a setup game but got turned into a sequel so it doesn't work or mesh at all.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

I think what FEAR2 really suffers from is it was clearly developed to be an "Im not touching you" FEAR knockoff game that was supposed to be a setup game but got turned into a sequel so it doesn't work or mesh at all.

From what I understand Monolith developed FEAR, but Sierra owned it and they split, that's why the expansions are by different teams and tell completely different stories than FEAR 2 and 3 went in. But for whatever reason, Monolith was allowed to make a sequel to FEAR, they just couldn't call it FEAR. So FEAR 2 was supposed to just be called "Project Origin" (they had a contest or something to determine the name, and from what I understand the winning name was already taken, so they went with Project Origin), even though it was a sequel. Then at some point Monolith or WB were able to get the FEAR rights or name from Sierra, and turned Project Origin into the subtitle. I remember the news when they got the rights to the name, but Project Origin was always supposed to be a sequel, from what I gathered? I definitely remember Alma showing up before the name change, but it has been a long time since then so maybe I'm all wrong.

I think Sierra should have been allowed to make sequels to the expansions, but not be allowed to call them FEAR. A) because it'd be funny, and B) I wish we got follow-ups to Perseus Mandate. Maybe that could have turned into the FPS Nocturne spiritual successor I'd love.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I could have sworn the ghosty wasn't officially alma until they got the license back. Like you said I remember the previews all being "this is obviously FEAR" but my memory is they were like "the lead character is just like pointman but not"

I really wish FEAR had instead gone with a new baddy and threat each game.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I played control for about an hour before I uninstalled. I guess I haven't loved anything Remedy have done since Max Payne 2, but everything between 2001 - 2004 feels like the "Remedy Period" to me. I was just playing Thief 3 and the AI is so goofed that I can't help but attribute it to Remedy. They absolutely nailed that period of videogames and I think they deserve more credit for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

Another problem with control is that the solution to the combat problems is almost always "Throw rocks at it" even when the game tells you throwing rocks at it isn't the solution, because even then it turns into "just throw rocks at it at the right time".