Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The score between us is now 1-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
if anyone else has Good Mafia Tips that could be useful too

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Epsilon Plus posted:

Have fun and always join the sand alliance imo.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Epsilon Plus posted:

as we approach page 2,000, have we given any thought to starting up a new General Mafia Thread? I was thinking we could do a new/updated OP, maybe with a section on Basic Mafia Tactics, I could buy a banner ad, maybe we could get some fresh blood pumping through this aging horse?

please do, this is a great idea

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Epsilon Plus posted:

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Epsilon Plus posted:

An unconfirmed masonry is unconfirmed for a reason. Don’t screw yourself over by revealing too much too soon!

Do not gently caress with unrecognized votefinder votes. It has been funny maybe once and usually it ends up derailing the game.

Emergencies and crises happen, but generally you know if you’re going to have time to play a game. If you can’t set aside 30 minutes or so every day to read the thread and post a few times, don’t sign up.

Don’t put cops in your games. Gunsmith, tracker, watcher, etc. are all much better investigative roles. Also do not post about how killing cops is praxis because it’s a really demented form of projection.

Do not let Harold Krell into your games. Alternatively, always PM Harold Krell and tell him about new games.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
Put cops in your games, Mafia tastes are varied, Flavor heavy games are fun and should always be filled immediately. Especially Somberbrero games.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
You're going to screw up while learning. You're going to screw up as a vet. It's a game, just remember it's in good fun.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Make a parachute account so you can play both sides

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
There is no such thing as a balanced set-up, just less unbalanced.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

ilmucche posted:

Make a parachute account so you can play both sides

:thaoldme:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
killing cops is praxis

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Epsilon Plus posted:

Just do everything I tell you, exactly as I tell you, and you'll be fine

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Mr. Humalong posted:

An unconfirmed masonry is unconfirmed for a reason. Don’t screw yourself over by revealing too much too soon!

Do not gently caress with unrecognized votefinder votes. It has been funny maybe once and usually it ends up derailing the game.

Emergencies and crises happen, but generally you know if you’re going to have time to play a game. If you can’t set aside 30 minutes or so every day to read the thread and post a few times, don’t sign up.

Don’t put cops in your games. Gunsmith, tracker, watcher, etc. are all much better investigative roles. Also do not post about how killing cops is praxis because it’s a really demented form of projection.

Do not let Harold Krell into your games. Alternatively, always PM Harold Krell and tell him about new games.

I agree with all of these strongly

drat maybe I should play mafia again

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

do it

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

flerp posted:

killing cops is praxis

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

2 boxes of cornbread down, 10 to go

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Click the image for a mafia game

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

my own personal mafia tips (I'm not the greatest at mafia but w/e):

- pay attention to the setup. if it's an open setup, there's no point in speculating about setup, because it's known. if it's closed, try to limit your speculation to reasonable ideas based on information present in the game and focus on the game. what-ifs are interesting, and potentially informative, but thoughts like "what if there's a serial killer who can only kill people at night who have an odd number of posts" or "what if there's a second cult" aren't going to go anywhere (yes I realize this is ironic for me to say)

- related to the above, mafia is primarily a game of social deduction - the best clues come from other people's posts. night actions can be useful, but without participation in the day, nothing useful happens. even if you don't think of yourself as a Good Player, asking questions can help get your teammates in the right mindframe, even if your questions don't directly lead to answers

- also related to the above, IMO nobody's really good at mafia. to elaborate: mafia is a team game and it's difficult for one person to be the decider of the fate of the game. don't be cowed by playing with someone who has one thousand games under their belt; experience is useful, they may be a little more skilled in asking the right questions or reading between the lines in posts, but don't let them intimidate you. more critically, don't let someone tell you you're Bad At Mafia. the person crowing about how you're obviously scum may be right this game, but they've been dead wrong in their last five, so gently caress 'em

- you win the game with your team even if you, personally, are dead. particularly as vanilla town, if you eat a kill that could be meant for the town doctor because you were asking the right questions, you're doing good! do not fear death, fear only a lack of posts

- Just Post. everyone has their own unique posting art, and especially for your first few games you might feel like you need to purposefully Post in a Special Way. just do what comes naturally!

- day 1 has a reputation of being a dumb shitshow, but it's absolutely possible to hit scum day 1! once jokephase settles, don't feel like day 1 has to be a random or lurker lunch. express an opinion and build a case, even if it's thin. the worst thing that can happen is that your assumptions are proven wrong, which is data in its own right.

- likable players live longer! you don't want to be a suckup, usually, but you definitely don't want to be a shithead. being insufferable greatly increases your chances of being removed from the game early because you're being a jackass, and no amount of claiming a PR will save you

scum tips:

- as scum, communicating with your teammates takes balance. too much coordination in your posting, and you may start inadvertently giving yourself away. too little, and swaying the rest of the town to your desires is a challenge. as a newbie, you definitely want to listen to your buddies and take their advice, but don't be afraid to have your own opinions and don't feel like they need to clear your posts or w/e

- scum who post more are more likely to be successful IME. a frequent assumption is that scum are low-effort posters, or that scum are evenly distributed among the range of posts (i.e. there's one scum player who's topping the postcount, one who's lurking, and one in the middle) - if your scumteam is posting up a storm, you break this assumption!

- bussing a teammate is a useful strategy from time to time, but don't feel like you need to immediately dogpile your scumbuds the minute they catch some heat. in most cases, one of your teammates dying means you have to survive yet another day to win - but if you can rack up a lot of cred by killing a partner and reduce suspicion, survival may be much easier

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I mean that’s all well and good but it implies there are right and wrong ways to play mafia and I don’t think that’s accurate

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Retro Futurist posted:

I mean that’s all well and good but it implies there are right and wrong ways to play mafia and I don’t think that’s accurate

Winvirus claiming to have a post restriction requiring him to post in Hylian counts as "right"

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

My only real game piece of advice is that the game isn’t about being right as much as it is knowing how to talk to, and in some cases talk through, others. Try as much as possible to shape the narrative you think you need, whether that’s posting a lot, posting at the right time, emotionally, logically etc.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
t a s t e is the mvp

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

it's definitely a your mileage may vary situation, these are kind of just my personal guidelines generalized out

t a s t e posted:

My only real game piece of advice is that the game isn’t about being right as much as it is knowing how to talk to, and in some cases talk through, others. Try as much as possible to shape the narrative you think you need, whether that’s posting a lot, posting at the right time, emotionally, logically etc.

this is definitely the good poo poo

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

to expand my thoughts a bit: it's okay if two people's bits of advice contradict each other, as that establishes that there's not One True Path, I just wanna try to give some new players some kind of foothold/structure to start with

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

t a s t e posted:

Along the same lines, it doesn't matter if you are the king of scum hunting and are never wrong if you can't convince other people to go along with you. Mafia is primarily a social game, not a logic game. There are no bonus points for being right if you can't execute someone.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Also, you don't have to respond to every post that says you're suspicious. Unless it is picking up steam you can just ignore it. It will often fizzle out on it's own if you just don't acknowledge it and keep trying to be helpful.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

It is better to be bad and chill than mad and good.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

Along the same lines, it doesn't matter if you are the king of scum hunting and are never wrong if you can't convince other people to go along with you. Mafia is primarily a social game, not a logic game. There are no bonus points for being right if you can't execute someone.

Yes this is a problem I have

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Sup Mafia Goons here's a super balanced open setup I brainstormed while playing Hades.

Mafia (4):

Hades (Mafia Godfather) - returns Town from cop results
Lernie (Mafia Roleblocker) - prevents target from performing any night actions
Theseus (Mafia Goon)
Asterius (Mafia Goon)

Town (14):

Cop (Achilles) - returns Scum on Mafia except Godfather
Doctor (Thanatos) - protects from a night kill, cannot target self
Vanilla Town x 12 (Dusa, Nyx, House Contractor, Wretched Broker, Cerberus, Persephone, Cerberus, Patroclus, Sisyphus, House Contractor, Skelly, Bouldy)

Every day two boons are announced, one-shot powers. Each day you must vote for two different players (and may not vote for yourself) who receive the boons. One vote is made publicly and the other is made in secret directly to the mod. The two players with the most votes receive one of the two boons, chosen randomly, with ties resulting in no rewards, and may then use them immediately that night. Mafia must vote for at least one non-Mafia player in addition to one Mafia player.

Boons:

Zeus - Jolted: roleblock
Hermes - Haste: enhance power (target cannot be roleblocked, cop results return correct result on Godfather, etc.)
Dionysus - In Vino Veritas: cop
Athena - Deflect: doctor (cannot target self)
Artemis - Marked: tracker
Ares - Doom: vig kill
Aphrodite - Unhealthy Fixation: watch
Poseidon - Tempest: self-bulletproof
Demeter - Chill: jailer

Once all boons are collected they then begin again!

Additional power roles if you're into that sort of thing and you want to throw balance out the window while keeping the set up open because open set ups are good:

Persephone - town enhancer: target receives an additional use of their boon. Must not have used a boon prior to targeting.
Charon - town vendor: provide a boon that has not yet been given to a player of your choice as a night action
Eurydice - town empowerer: target a player - the next boon they receive after this night gets an additional use
Hypnos - town logkeeper: each morning receive a list of all boons used the previous night

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Retro Futurist posted:

The Mr steak day 1 play is objectively wrong

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Tommunist posted:

The Mr steak day 1 play is objectively wrong

As is Day 2 to 7 :v:

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Yami Fenrir posted:

As is Day 2 to 7 :v:

genuinely a fan of his day 2 onwards

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

Sup Mafia Goons here's a super balanced open setup I brainstormed while playing Hades.

Mafia (4):

Hades (Mafia Godfather) - returns Town from cop results
Lernie (Mafia Roleblocker) - prevents target from performing any night actions
Theseus (Mafia Goon)
Asterius (Mafia Goon)

Town (14):

Cop (Achilles) - returns Scum on Mafia except Godfather
Doctor (Thanatos) - protects from a night kill, cannot target self
Vanilla Town x 12 (Dusa, Nyx, House Contractor, Wretched Broker, Cerberus, Persephone, Cerberus, Patroclus, Sisyphus, House Contractor, Skelly, Bouldy)

Every day two boons are announced, one-shot powers. Each day you must vote for two different players (and may not vote for yourself) who receive the boons. One vote is made publicly and the other is made in secret directly to the mod. The two players with the most votes receive one of the two boons, chosen randomly, with ties resulting in no rewards, and may then use them immediately that night. Mafia must vote for at least one non-Mafia player in addition to one Mafia player.

Boons:

Zeus - Jolted: roleblock
Hermes - Haste: enhance power (target cannot be roleblocked, cop results return correct result on Godfather, etc.)
Dionysus - In Vino Veritas: cop
Athena - Deflect: doctor (cannot target self)
Artemis - Marked: tracker
Ares - Doom: vig kill
Aphrodite - Unhealthy Fixation: watch
Poseidon - Tempest: self-bulletproof
Demeter - Chill: jailer

Once all boons are collected they then begin again!

Additional power roles if you're into that sort of thing and you want to throw balance out the window while keeping the set up open because open set ups are good:

Persephone - town enhancer: target receives an additional use of their boon. Must not have used a boon prior to targeting.
Charon - town vendor: provide a boon that has not yet been given to a player of your choice as a night action
Eurydice - town empowerer: target a player - the next boon they receive after this night gets an additional use
Hypnos - town logkeeper: each morning receive a list of all boons used the previous night

One crucial flaw. Where is Meg?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I've mostly chilled out and barely play (blame Hal for me even being in a game right now), but these would have been my prime merk tips:
People can be persuaded to vote with you in different ways. Learn the player to try to learn how to persuade them.
Sometimes, write cases to individual players. This can be helpful if you need their vote or want to see how they react to a case you wrote specifically for them.
If you seem lost, start pushing buttons. Most people find it very hard to feign anger, so you might find scum cheaply. This is a controversial tip! Be careful!
The only reason to respond to an unpersuasive case made against you is to determine the alignment of the case maker.
Night action bingo is going to lose you the game if town. Use night actions to help inform casework, not find cheap eliminations.
Don't be afraid to make a point, even if it is weak and going to be attacked as weak.
Evaluate cases in the context of the game. What makes a case 'weak' on day 1 is very different from what makes a case 'weak' on day 6.
Trust your gut.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

mafia players: just post and stay true to yourself
merk: emotionally manipulate anyone and everyone you can without remorse

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

in merk's case, do those conflict?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Mr. Humalong posted:

mafia players: just post and stay true to yourself
merk: emotionally manipulate anyone and everyone you can without remorse

I don't see how these things are mutually exclusive? :v:

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Mafia advice for new players:

Whatever, just do what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig