Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
So every conversation about cov19 I have devolves to 'well they're reporting vehicular manslaughter deaths as covid 19' and I actually heard that tonight about a guys father no less. How can this irresponsible reporting happen wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Was at a beachside pub today in a country town which just happened to be the same place I read this Guardian piece while anxiously doomscrolling 11 months ago during The Week That Everything Changed, and I remembered it being one of the most clear-eyed and memorable pieces of writing from that period, basically laying out the options available to Australia. (The other was this piece in the LRB which might have been the first one that drove it home to me that this was actually gonna be a really big deal: "This is NOT business as usual. This will be different from what anyone living has ever experienced.") It's interesting to revisit it now:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/21/the-case-for-shutting-down-almost-everything-and-restarting-when-coronavirus-is-gone

quote:

We see three possible endgames.

None are attractive, but one is better than the others.

It lays out three options for Australia, and I distinctly remember thinking how loving badly I hoped and prayed the government would opt for Endgame C: shut the borders, do a hard lockdown, life goes back to normal internally and we ride out the crisis as Fortress Australia. And I distinctly remember thinking the government just wouldn't do that, even though they had actually shut the borders at that point. I just couldn't imagine it. It's interesting what it got wrong in retrospect (turns out you can actually crush the virus with a lockdown easier than we might have thought as long as your borders are shut, and the authors failed to anticipate the ability of Australian states to close their own borders which has wreaked havoc on the hoped-for vision of domestic tourism replacing international tourism) but on the whole, it was a prescient vision of an optimistic future which I'm very glad we mostly managed to pull off.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

AnnoyBot posted:

Speaking of my wife, she hosted a get together with her "COVID pod" of friends in SF last night. They all think they got it last February or March and are immune. When she gets back, I'll mask up in the house with a KN95 for a few days. This will anger her, because obviously I'm being the rear end in a top hat here. It's been a rough year.

This probably won't help because as you've pointed out, you're dealing with the realm of wishful thinking / self-delusion rather than someone carefully weighing the risks of their actions, but it may useful to point out to her that even if naturally-acquired immunity lasted for a year (which is questionable), the new rapidly-becoming-dominant strains are quite happy to re-infect people who contracted the OG virus.

Regardless, you're keeping your head in a lovely situation and that's what your family needs - hopefully it gets easier for you soon.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Sjs00 posted:

So every conversation about cov19 I have devolves to 'well they're reporting vehicular manslaughter deaths as covid 19' and I actually heard that tonight about a guys father no less. How can this irresponsible reporting happen wtf

It depends who "they" are and the reporting style. In the UK we report deaths within 28 days of (first) covid positive result. So yes that means that the thousands of people killed by buses all day every day* all count as covid deaths (if dead within 28 days of positive tests), but also people who died a month after their positive result aren't counted. But which cohort is greater? The main thing with trending is to be consistent, so ever if there are wrinkles like traffic deaths, it's the direction of the trend you're interested in, not individual deaths

*to listen to UK covidiots you'd think there's a massive number of deaths reported for this reason

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Marmaduke! posted:

It depends who "they" are and the reporting style. In the UK we report deaths within 28 days of (first) covid positive result. So yes that means that the thousands of people killed by buses all day every day* all count as covid deaths (if dead within 28 days of positive tests), but also people who died a month after their positive result aren't counted. But which cohort is greater? The main thing with trending is to be consistent, so ever if there are wrinkles like traffic deaths, it's the direction of the trend you're interested in, not individual deaths

*to listen to UK covidiots you'd think there's a massive number of deaths reported for this reason

It is first positive result rather than any positive, which is pretty important as people often take longer than that to die of COVID. However, they're upfront that this is an underestimate and do publish other measures, which the UK news also reports on, just less often.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Very true. But Trump 100% openly called it the China Virus purely from racism and hatred. He wanted to make sure everyone should blame them and that it's all China's fault that we're dying.

He's a horrible human being.

He is horrible, but I don't think that's why he did it. He started really calling it the China virus after China claimed it came from the U.S., even named a female soldier who brought it to China on purpose. So he wanted people to make sure they knew it was from China, not the U.S.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

He is horrible, but I don't think that's why he did it. He started really calling it the China virus after China claimed it came from the U.S., even named a female soldier who brought it to China on purpose. So he wanted people to make sure they knew it was from China, not the U.S.

I'm sure the prior years of Chinese xenophobia was some 3d chess. Or maybe part of the plan.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

It's entertaining to act like Trump is alone in calling it the china virus but that's also ignoring that most people learned about the spanish flu, not "the 1918 flu". Calling it where it came from shouldn't be racist, but today's culture means that it's racist.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

satanic splash-back posted:

It's entertaining to act like Trump is alone in calling it the china virus but that's also ignoring that most people learned about the spanish flu, not "the 1918 flu". Calling it where it came from shouldn't be racist, but today's culture means that it's racist.

The lesson from the naming of the Spanish flu is not that it was fair, accurate, or should be repeated.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

hell of a first post itt

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Not to totally derail this thread but when Trump calls it the "China Virus" and couples that with stuff like "Joe Biden is working for China", you can pretty easily figure out how much of it motivated by racism (the answer is 100%).

My wife goes in for surgery in 8 days, we're being insanely careful and even avoiding grocery stores to make sure we get her in for this surgery without a covid scare. Her father called last week and spewed this insane conspiracy theory about doctors intentionally giving covid to surgery patients to "kill them for the money", so that was really nice. This is the same guy who has gone from "covid isn't real at all" to "it's just the flu" to "it's an excuse to get the mark of the beast implanted in you" to "I had covid, please come visit me".

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

The problem is, Americans aren't hearing 'UK Variant' and harrassing British people. They're sure as poo poo harassing Chinese people.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

tell that to the owners of the chinese market in my town that were targets of months of harassment and eventual arson due to this, fuckface

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it was probably pretty racist back then as well

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mozi posted:

it was probably pretty racist back then as well

It definitely was, and although it's not really the point, it didn't even originate in Spain - cases were happening in the US and UK long before, but wartime censorship of the press (the real kind, not the THEY WON'T LET ME USE THE N WORD kind) meant that the first actual public reports of it were from the Spanish press.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
it's a little different i guess w/ the variants? but even now, people are starting to refer to them as 501.V2 or whatnot, which isn't the greatest name, but whatever. there was some value in knowing where they originated and therefore might be more prevalent but as time goes on that's less meaningful

maybe there should be names like we use for hurricanes. so you'd have the Anna strain, the Bob strain, etc etc

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

maybe there should be names like we use for hurricanes. so you'd have the Anna strain, the Bob strain, etc etc

Actually, I think we should stop naming hurricanes after people.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
right... well, ok. we'll name them after abstract geometrical principles then, maybe?

it's a little difficult to think of things that people would easily remember yet also don't have an association with people

naem
May 29, 2011

here are so many hurricanes now that it would be easier to name the brief calm periods between them

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I posted about this in that gassed thread about naming the variants, but you only get so many free passes to use medical jargon when you communicate with the public. You can name variants after things other than where they originated (or were first identified) but it requires something universally comprehensible.

On the surface level at least, most COVID variants are pretty much identical to the layman, other than being "probably more infectious". If one of them turns out to be resistant to all the vaccines or something, it'll probably earn a new name based on that quality. If one of them turns you into a clown as a side-effect, same deal. As it is right now, newspapers are not gonna print articles full of names like B.1.1.7, 20I/501Y.V1. Origins are the only useful identifying aspect.

The whole China virus thing was totally different, because it was an attempt to walk back an already globally accepted naming convention for PR purposes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Weak-rear end Variant and the Oh poo poo Variant.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:kheldragar: FUCKYEEEEEEAAAAHHHHH BITNCHES I JUST SCORED COVID VACCINE APPOINTMENTS FOR EVERYONE IN MY HOUSE :coolspot:

:siren: EXTREMELY PRO TIP FOR GETTING A COVID VACCINE APPOINTMENT :siren:
Find a clinic with an online vaccine appointment signup page that updates whenever an open spot becomes available, then download the Distill add-on for Firefox and set it to refresh that page every 5 seconds (or 6 seconds, or 10 seconds, or whatever) and alert you via phone text, email, and a little noise that plays on your computer any time the page updates. Then just leave your phone and computer running 24/7, with sleep mode and auto shutdown and Do Not Disturb and etc all turned off, and check the page every time you get an update alert. Assuming your signup page is anything like mine, eventually it’ll update with open vaccine appointments.

You’re welcome :viggo:

I technically meet the Tier 1B vaccine requirement of being over 18 and obese

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 8, 2021

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

where do you live that appointments are open to anyone with no filtering based on risk group, cuz congrats but that sounds real stupid

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Inept posted:

where do you live that appointments are open to anyone with no filtering based on risk group, cuz congrats but that sounds real stupid

I mean that's how all of the local pharmacies around my area (philly suburbs) are operating now. There's signup sheets on their websites but the sites are almost always just down with a big "THERE ARE NO SPOTS AVAILABLE" messaging everywhere. If you apply to get one through the county "officially" you need to give them your pre-existing conditions or essential worker status but if you find a pharmacy that has vaccines afaik they just want to get them out.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 8, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inept posted:

Yeah I couldn’t find anywhere to do that for my dad who is nearing 70 in California. If he were 70 I think he’d be in but since he isn’t tough luck.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

explosivo posted:

I mean that's how all of the local pharmacies around my are (philly suburbs) are operating now. There's signup sheets on their websites but the sites are almost always just down with a big "THERE ARE NO SPOTS AVAILABLE" messaging everywhere. If you apply to get one through the county "officially" you need to give them your pre-existing conditions or essential worker status but if you find a pharmacy that has vaccines afaik they just want to get them out.

In my case, one of my local hospitals has a SignUpGenius page for COVID vax appointments. I set Distill to update that page every 5 seconds and it just payed off about an hour ago.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Inept posted:

IIRC Texas, and yes.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Security guard punched for reminding man to wear mask

quote:

KENOSHA, Wis. (AP) — A Paddock Lake man is facing charges after he was accused of punching a security guard who reminded him to wear a mask at a Kenosha grocery store.

Police recommend the man in his 50s be charged with battery and disorderly conduct.

The incident happened Saturday night at Woodman’s Food Market.

First responders were called to treat the guard for minor injuries. At Woodman’s Market locations in Wisconsin and other states, employees and customers are required to wear masks to stem the spread of COVID-19.

The City of Kenosha also has a mask mandate in place.

I go to this grocery store sometimes. :suicide:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I go to this grocery store sometimes. :suicide:

At least they enforce mask usage to the point there’s a guy at the door and apparently he’s serious enough to elicit punches from cowards?

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Hell yeah got an appointment to get my 5G nanobots on Thursday. Being a fat gently caress finally worked out for me.

Also the part where I am in an IT role in a university and constantly make service calls to in-person classrooms where the entire room population rotates hourly but that's not a category?

Platystemon posted:

IIRC Texas, and yes.

I'm there too and I think categories depend on location, but a lot of people just show up because the people here are loving crazy and will not book appointments/vaccine clinics will take walk-ins

edit again: local top-tip is "show up around 3:30-5PM and ask if they have any left over"

AveMachina fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 8, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I. M. Gei posted:

:kheldragar: FUCKYEEEEEEAAAAHHHHH BITNCHES I JUST SCORED tracking microchip injection APPOINTMENTS FOR EVERYONE IN MY HOUSE :coolspot:

FTFY

I hear microsoft is making some good stuff these days :v:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Got my 1st Pfizer scheduled for tomorrow, I can't focus on anything I'm so excited :unsmith:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/6528612/Powecom-Non-Medical-Disposable-KN95-Respirator/
https://bonafidemasks.com/Powecom-kn-95/

Are these any good? My washable masks have all shrunk after repeated washes and I'm starting to get sick of them.

Office Depot claims they're not FDA certified but:

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...-equipment-euas

The FDA site links to http://www.powecom.com/eng_product.html

So...maybe they are? Anyone have em and can comment?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/6528612/Powecom-Non-Medical-Disposable-KN95-Respirator/
https://bonafidemasks.com/Powecom-kn-95/

Are these any good? My washable masks have all shrunk after repeated washes and I'm starting to get sick of them.

Aaron Collins has tested that model and they perform well.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Assuming those are genuine masks (and I generally trust a brick and mortar retailer to get me genuine goods more than I trust online shops), that brand comes recommend by this guy on YouTube who has proper testing equipment to verify the efficacy of masks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JFed_ofCwM

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
CSL in Australia is saying that they could develop the capacity to produce mRNA vaccines in 9-12 months.

Sounds like the smart bet would be to go with what we already have deals for this year and look at striking deals to produce mRNA vaccines here next year.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Picked up 3 packs of those masks from Office Depot, will be here Wednesday.

Thanks!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Alan Smithee posted:

anyone using respirators but covering the exhale vent? What are you using as adhesive

Umm why would you do this? Is the exhaled air from your respirator carrying covid? Or is it just somehow annoying

I got a resp and haven’t learned to use it, just asking

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Umm why would you do this? Is the exhaled air from your respirator carrying covid?

Theoretically, yeah.

It’s actually still better than a cloth mask, :ssh:, but you have to keep up appearances in some public/work places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Respirators do the opposite of surgical/cloth masks in that they protect the wearer from airborne contaminants, but don't protect others from the wearer.

I stand corrected
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2021-107/default.html

azurite fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 9, 2021