Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

weapon breakage is one of those design things i think is just a bad idea because if it's done right it's cool but it doesn't really accomplish anything that you couldn't accomplish via other means, and if done poorly can ruin entire game systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dead Rising 2 is the only time I've ever liked it because it adds interesting complications to the way you play due to how much of that game is about finding an optimal "route" to pick up as many survivors and good items as you can.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

you can only play 5 zelda games on the switch:

zelda 1*
zelda 2*
link to the past*
links awakening
breath of the wild

* all require a paid online subscription to play. so basically you can only play 2 zelda games on the switch if you don't want to do that, which i don't. i'd be less bummed about buying a switch and being disappointed in botw if i could play the wii U games i missed or the older games i actually like (ocarina and wind waker) and i don't want a 3ds either.

breath of the wild is fun if you don't actually care about zelda elements of zelda games and just want to traverse a big open world. i remember being awe struck when i first booted up the game and saw the vista of hyrule and when i thought i sneakily stumbled upon hyrule castle even though the game kinda nudges you in that direction anyway. then the game kept going and it was apparent that none of the characters were very compelling and hyrule castle was just a bit of fan service thrown in that doesn't tie any lore back to previous games or anything. no dungeons, no hook shot, no compelling bosses. just open world and a zillion lifeless shrines.

the weapon breaking system sucks not because the weapons break, but because they break so easily you can go through more than two in an individual skirmish (which all feel exactly the same and are very unrewarding), and you are constantly going back to the menu to switch weapons and eat food. for such an "immersive" game, it really forces you to stop and look at the pause menu way too often.

nobody would have known it was supposed to be a zelda game if botw was a brand new IP with different characters. maybe that's why some people like it, but it's a big reason why i really don't.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Breath of the wild is the best elder scrolls game

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Dead Rising (well, the first two Dead Rising games) was all about giving you a big and detailed world full of improvised weaponry to play around with, so the weapon breakage was really kind of necessary to the game concept. No one would've ever bothered using a giant parasol as a weapon if you could've just found a katana once and then kept using it forever, but that's also where half the fun of the game comes from.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

persona talk made me revisit some jams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it5wuAgf1Pw

I cannot wait to play "Persona 5 Strikers"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All Zeldas know is hookshot, shoot boss in dungeon, and lie

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Breath of the Wild is an amazing first draft of a game. I hope the sequel manages to actually be compelling to me because aside from weapons breaking in 12 hits I can't quite nail down what I really dislike about it.

Obviously the combat being either wait and parry a laser, sidestep an attack to wear down your weapon faster before it explodes with the rapid strike, spin to win,, shoot arrow, throw magic or boomerang or do your 4 hit combo kinda blows to do compared to say, Wind Waker or even Twilight Princess for some reason.

At least they didn't make it motion controlled again like Skyward Sword.

Cardiovorax posted:

Dead Rising (well, the first two Dead Rising games) was all about giving you a big and detailed world full of improvised weaponry to play around with, so the weapon breakage was really kind of necessary to the game concept. No one would've ever bothered using a giant parasol as a weapon if you could've just found a katana once and then kept using it forever, but that's also where half the fun of the game comes from.

drat, that's what the problem was. BotW needed weapon crafting like Dead Rising. It had way too little enemy and weapon variety.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I wish more video games incentivized ignoring the final boss completely and just letting you vibe

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RareAcumen posted:

drat, that's what the problem was. BotW needed weapon crafting like Dead Rising. It had way too little enemy and weapon variety.
I liked Breath of the Wild, but the lack of variety is what I'd also call the biggest problem of the game. The game world is huge and detailed, but there's also very little reason to ever go to most places twice once you've done your obligatory tower-climb for the region. There's very little unique or different about any place, because you can largely find all the same things anywhere. I think you could legitimately condense that game down by 50% or more without anything except for the sense of enormous scale.

That's a problem that I think 99% of open-world games these days share, though.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I was fine with weapon degradation as I muddled my way through every Bethesda game in my teens and then they removed it in Skyrim and I didn't miss it at all. There's probably a lesson there.

Bust Rodd posted:

I wish more video games incentivized ignoring the final boss completely and just letting you vibe

this is literally every open world game, most JRPGs, and even some linear FPS games

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

My biggest problem with Breath of the Wild is that the big dungeon beasts are boring and the vast majority of shrines aren't very interesting at all

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Caesar Saladin posted:

My biggest problem with Breath of the Wild is that the big dungeon beasts are boring and the vast majority of shrines aren't very interesting at all

Counterpoint: the beasts are fun and the shrines are good with cool music

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

you can only play 5 zelda games on the switch:

zelda 1*
zelda 2*
link to the past*
links awakening
breath of the wild

Don't forget these!

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Regarding racing game chat here's a friendly reminder that Studio Liverpool were one of Sony's best development studios and Wipeout Omega Collection is awesome and currently on sale.

Also this Breath of the Wild chat has me thinking about Genshin Impact and Immortals Fenyx Rising and they both look like improved versions of BotW but Immortals seemed to have released to a lot of fanfare and then everyone just stopped talking about it? And Genshin Impact seems really popular but I heard that it's really fun until you hit a certain point and then it's microtransaction hell or something?

They both look like really good clones and I love that bright and vibrant art style they have but I'm not sure which to pick if I was gonna try one of them out. Keep debating buying a Switch but chatter of a new model has me holding off and BotW doesn't look that great after seeing GI & IFR.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Don't forget these!

looks like a bunch of anime

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

All Zeldas know is hookshot, shoot boss in dungeon, and lie

lmao

The weapon breakage complaints never made sense to be because 1) you are picking up new weapons CONSTANTLY and 2) it really doesn’t take that long before you get better ones that stop breaking so quickly

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Genshin Impact just looked completely and utterly soulless from Day 1 and Fenyx just seems like a perfectly serviceable if finite game.

In general I think most people disagree that BotW’s Hyrule is boring, empty, and repetitive. As I’ve said before previously, I literally cannot think of a single AAA open world game that has come out and not had at least one goon say the same thing, “the big open world with nothing to do”. Goons ITT have said that about Horizon, about Sushi Ghost, about the Far Cry games, Cyberpunk, The Witcher 3, literally no one on this silly games forum can seem to agree on what constitutes a good open world with the proper amount of content or activities.

I’m not really sure what kind of enemy variety you’re looking for in a Zelda game, it has all the same enemies as the previous games except for the slugs that eat your armor and shields (who cares), it has mini games out the wazoo, it has buried treasure, it has weird and unique armor, it magic fairy fountains, it has secret dragon world bosses, it has hidden cutscenes that help flesh out Link’s past... and on and on.

I guess to some people, all of that feels like nothing, but to me it’s one of the most densely packed environments in gaming.

I do subscribe to the idea that BotW has weak bosses and weaker “dungeons”, but also feel like making the entire over world into sort of a “macro” dungeon with hundreds of hours of gameplay instead of just making Hyrule Field a big flat empty space that connects the cool environments is worth the shift in design.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BOTW is toe to toe with Bloodborne for the best game I have ever played. Every time I hear people whining about it I feel like I'm in crazytown because it's seriously like, one of the most engrossing games I have ever played. I never replay long rear end games, but I have played it twice and am already in the mood to play it a third time, it's just sort of backlogged atm.

It's far from perfect, but it does so much that feels fresh and totally resonates with my favorite stuff in video games. I think it's brilliant.

Sadly I feel the same way about the knock offs as I do about Dark Souls knockoffs. Both that anime thing and Immortals just look gross and shameless to me. I'd rather just replay the real thing or wait for the new one much like I generally do with Fromsoft games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I took the old HDD from my MacBook and installed it on my PS3 :getin: 750GB instead of the paltry 128GB it came with.
The PS4 Pro stock drive has become my Plex server drive, I swapped that for a 500GB SSD (I think 500GB is too small tbh, I should have gone for 1TB).
I love opening up consoles and fiddling around. I opened up my PS3, my Macbook and my OG Xbox last night to check if the clock capacitor had leaked (it hadn't).
I found it really relaxing. I keep meaning to open the PS4 Pro and get to the heatsink to see if there's dust on it, I'm gonna do that next.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
No one wants to hear yet another negative take on BotW so all I'll say is that when I think about not having that great a time with it and I think what's the closest game to that style that I really clicked with and honestly its probably Death Stranding

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like Death Stranding a lot but felt like it was sort of a featureless BOTW a lot of the time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SUNKOS posted:

Also this Breath of the Wild chat has me thinking about Genshin Impact and Immortals Fenyx Rising and they both look like improved versions of BotW but Immortals seemed to have released to a lot of fanfare and then everyone just stopped talking about it? And Genshin Impact seems really popular but I heard that it's really fun until you hit a certain point and then it's microtransaction hell or something?

They both look like really good clones and I love that bright and vibrant art style they have but I'm not sure which to pick if I was gonna try one of them out. Keep debating buying a Switch but chatter of a new model has me holding off and BotW doesn't look that great after seeing GI & IFR.

First off, you've got an option of playing as the man or woman at the beginning, that doesn't affect anything, it's just which design you prefer over the other.

Genshin Impact is a lot of fun and also free so you shouldn't be worried about giving it a shot. The game has a progression system of ranks so by the time you get to like I dunno, 30-40 is about when you run out of content? Also it's a gacha game so they're still actively adding more content to the game as time goes on too so you might run out of new content to enjoy and just end up in a holding pattern of not having much to do aside from the daily commissions. It's up to you if you enjoy it enough to want to keep playing or just put it in the backlog for a few months until another content update hits and keep on doing that.

Personally, when I first played it I had no idea what any of the info meant. I got through the tutorial and it just hit me over and over and over again with Proper Noun after Proper Noun after Proper Noun but I'm an idiot and I know better now.

So basically, there're Primogems which are the special currency you use to roll the dice on getting new 4 or 5 star characters or weapons.Those are the ones that can be bought with real actual dollars/euros/etc so don't throw those away haphazardly. Stardust and Starglitter are other currencies that you use to buy things in the in game shop. And then later on you can unlock dungeons that you can challenge for equipment for your characters that cost Resin. Don't use primogems to replenish resin, that's for the people who spend 100's of dollars on trying to get a new character. It's all a lot to try and figure out on your own but with someone else to explain it it helps. So, here's the Before I Play wiki page on it and the thread in games.

If you give it a shot, I hope you enjoy it! I can't say anything about Fenyx because I didn't play it. It did get a wiki page too so that might help.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Anyone here enjoy Civ VI on PS4? It's on sale in the EU store now for 12 euros or so. Obviously I'm familiar with Civ, but does the gameplay translate well to console? I haven't played it yet since I haven't had a PC in years.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I took the old HDD from my MacBook and installed it on my PS3 :getin: 750GB instead of the paltry 128GB it came with.
The PS4 Pro stock drive has become my Plex server drive, I swapped that for a 500GB SSD (I think 500GB is too small tbh, I should have gone for 1TB).
I love opening up consoles and fiddling around. I opened up my PS3, my Macbook and my OG Xbox last night to check if the clock capacitor had leaked (it hadn't).
I found it really relaxing. I keep meaning to open the PS4 Pro and get to the heatsink to see if there's dust on it, I'm gonna do that next.

i feel similarly, except in cases where opening runs the risk of damage. i repaired the stick drift of one of my DS4s, but it doesn't feel as quite as firm after i put it back together. and one of the many plastic tabs on my laptop's bottom cover snapped when i was opening or closing it (no big deal, but it makes me apprehensive about doing it again).

disassembling the PS3 was a pleasure, though. it's nice to every so often peek inside and verify our technology isn't running on magic.

also it just feels good to fix stuff instead of trashing things that only need a bit of maintenance or a part replaced. would be cool if they taught some of this stuff in school, but otherwise YouTube has been a great resource for armchair tinkering.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Sioux posted:

Anyone here enjoy Civ VI on PS4? It's on sale in the EU store now for 12 euros or so. Obviously I'm familiar with Civ, but does the gameplay translate well to console? I haven't played it yet since I haven't had a PC in years.

Hi I'm the only person on these forums who played the ps4 version of civ6 apparenetly but it was my most played game of 2020 with 286 hours haha. Anyway, it plays very well imo. Theres a few high level features that are kinda cumbersome/missing in the ps4 version (like being able to type a wonder into a search bar and auto-locate it on the map, if you were for instance trying to see how close an opponent was to finishing it) but unless you're playing on the highest difficulty that sort of stuff wont matter. Obviously i imagine the pc version is probably the better way to go but for someone who loves civ but doesn't have a pc, the ps4 version is great! Go nuts

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

racing games suck but Episode 1 racer for N64... incredible game...
Might I interest you in a PS4 port?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Weapon breakage is the same as "water does you no good in your canteen."

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I do not enjoy turn based combat at all, which is one reason I am glad Yakuza 7 does not feature my friend Kiryu Kazama.

However at the same time I am a little sad, because it means Yakuza 6 will be my last Yakuza game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VideoGames posted:

I do not enjoy turn based combat at all, which is one reason I am glad Yakuza 7 does not feature my friend Kiryu Kazama.

However at the same time I am a little sad, because it means Yakuza 6 will be my last Yakuza game.
Kiryu isn’t really anyone’s friend though, in the sense of trusting anyone enough to let them share the danger with him. That’s the huge difference between him and Ichiban.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I remember when I was 14, just about to pop in my friend’s copy of FFXII. FFX is one of my all time faves, just an incredible game, instant classic, hallowed in the halls of JRPG Valhalla etc etc, in no small part due to the awesome combat system where you get all your party members in every battle, so the sequel (that I could actually play) was so exciting!

I seriously don’t think I made it 4 hours in 12 before turning it off and wondering what horrible thing had transpired at Square/Enix to punish us in such a cruel and hosed up way.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Kiryu isn’t really anyone’s friend though, in the sense of trusting anyone enough to let them share the danger with him. That’s the huge difference between him and Ichiban.

That is why I love him so. He takes on the world onto his shoulders and does it with his signature frown. So rad :swoon:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Ff10 had good combat (the only thing good about it imo) but the ff12 battle system was cool too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VideoGames posted:

That is why I love him so. He takes on the world onto his shoulders and does it with his signature frown. So rad :swoon:
Kiryu is an great example of that incredibly common kind of character, and for a long time I didn’t even imagine there could be another kind in a game like that. Ichiban showed me that there can be something more, and it’s really hard to go back.

Edit: besides being willing to let his friends have his back, he actually enjoys being with them. He doesn’t just go “heh” and then walk out of the room when Date or whoever says something, like Kiryu always does. It’s a big deal.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 8, 2021

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Ichiban is the most idealistic ideal himbo and my best friend.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Kiryu is an great example of that incredibly common kind of character, and for a long time I didn’t even imagine there could be another kind in a game like that. Ichiban showed me that there can be something more, and it’s really hard to go back.

I will have to take your word for it.

I cannot think of any other games I have played with a Kiryu like protag and I will let those people who love Iciban, love Ichiban, but turn based is not for me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It’s terrible to say, but I don’t think Kiryu is going to raise the orphans very well because he can’t demonstrate sustained connections with people.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

It’s terrible to say, but I don’t think Kiryu is going to raise the orphans very well because he can’t demonstrate sustained connections with people.

No spoilers! I am still making my way through Kiwami 2! (Got 3,4,5 and 6 left!)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Just beat Concrete Genie. I would not exactly call it a good game... probably not even a fine game. It does have personality, with a lovely camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VideoGames posted:

No spoilers! I am still making my way through Kiwami 2! (Got 3,4,5 and 6 left!)
Oh, sorry.

Well, for better or for worse, what you see is what you get with Kiryu. He’s a mental organism designed only for...never killing anyone.