Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I snagged that 3 months for $1 Game Pass deal, specifically to play The Medium. If I can stop playing Tetris Effect before May I might even do it too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Send a prayer out for the guy that got his shiny new Xbox that almost no one could get (because no way such a masterpiece could be rendered on the Xbox One) so that he could play the critical darling The Medium

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I spent $1500 on a ps5 to play Bugsnax, a game that is probably better horror than The Medium.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bugsnax is great, easily a better investment.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
I just finished the medium. it started out okay but goddamn it got so tedious like a third of the way through. there was even a part where a main character says something like "this is getting really tedious" as he slowly jogs .0000001 mph faster than walking. during most of this game I was like "why even have a run button". super easy light horror game, not really sure yet if I'm glad I played it or not.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Send a prayer out for the guy that got his shiny new Xbox that almost no one could get (because no way such a masterpiece could be rendered on the Xbox One) so that he could play the critical darling The Medium

HEY!

Don't start rumors that I bought an xbox >: (

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

bugsnax GOTY 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Actually it's Ghost of Tsushima. It counts as horror too, there's a ghost in it! :ghost:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

al-azad posted:

I spent $1500 on a ps5 to play Bugsnax, a game that is probably better horror than The Medium.

I am so excited to play Bugsnax. Everything I've seen from it looks great.

Someday I will own a PS5 and I will snax all the bugs.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

did I mention yet that the medium is super loving tedious

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The tedium

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Medium - "Press RB to parry childhood molestation."
PC Gamer - 9/10 great writing.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

The Medium - "Press RB to parry childhood molestation."
PC Gamer - 9/10 great writing.

Looking forward to the "Victim Blaming 100% completion" run at the next GDQ

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yes, Bugsnax is literally spookier and an actually fun game, which The Medium definitely isn't. God, what a piece of crap.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

The splitscreen effect looks really, really loving dumb when Mariann is talking to someone/picking something up/smoking/being choked out/etc. in one world and just mirroring the gestures in the other. So much effort for something that just looks poo poo.

Also can't get over how bad the voice acting is. The plot is dumb and boring enough, but the garbage acting really drives home how shallow it all is.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

The splitscreen effect looks really, really loving dumb when Mariann is talking to someone/picking something up/smoking/being choked out/etc. in one world and just mirroring the gestures in the other. So much effort for something that just looks poo poo.

Also can't get over how bad the voice acting is. The plot is dumb and boring enough, but the garbage acting really drives home how shallow it all is.

So, more like an 8/10 then

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Yep. A game you'd rent at Family Video, 2/$1, with something you know you'll like.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

What I don't understand is that she is very clearly mirroring what she is interacting with in the spirit world, but when she gets Silent Hill Origins'd into the spirit realm she says she has no idea where she is.

Like can you see the other side or not

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

So, more like an 8/10 then

it's got a little something for everyone

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I can call it just ok because of game pass, but I feel bad for those that paid full price for Medium.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
here's hoping Little Nightmares 2 won't be a disappointment

the first one is just so-so and i'm a little worried they're spreading themselves too thin conceptually in the sequel - the first game had the Maw to tie everything together but here you've got spooky woods, spooky school, spooky hospital, slenderman, it's like a theme park ride of cliches

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
The last couple pages read like Bloober Team gave the thread a wedgie and it only makes me like the game a lot more

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

treat posted:

The last couple pages read like Bloober Team gave the thread a wedgie and it only makes me like the game a lot more

Would you agree that victims of abuse should be put down like mad dogs because they will inevitably become abusers themselves then?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Jack Trades posted:

Would you agree that victims of abuse should be put down like mad dogs because they will inevitably become abusers themselves then?

that post/av combo rolling tight as always

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

al-azad posted:

Hell yeah I’ve gotten a PS5, Series S and a 3070 in the last couple of months and all I’m playing is Phasmophobia.

Phasmophobia is still fun.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

treat posted:

I'm sorry for your bad taste.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

treat posted:

It sounds like you might not even be mad atm and are, in fact, laughing.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
It feels like Bloober leans more on gimmicks, and fall flat in story telling and game play.

Layers of Fear - non-Euclidean geometry meets bog standard first person horror fare
Layers of Fear 2 - basically the first game, but with a more fleshed out story...but not necessarily a better story
Observer - a bored Rutger Hauer leads you through a bog standard cyber punk story; nothing amazing but not terrible
Blair Witch - found footage aesthetics with the meandering tedium of getting lost in the woods with shallow dog based game play
The Medium - a Silent Hill sound track with a split screen game play gimmick, with some child molestation and the Holocaust mixed in

At least for me, the only game I've enjoyed from them has been Layers of Fear and Observer. But the rest of their output just consistently falls flat.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

discworld is all I read posted:

It feels like Bloober leans more on gimmicks, and fall flat in story telling and game play.

Layers of Fear - non-Euclidean geometry meets bog standard first person horror fare
Layers of Fear 2 - basically the first game, but with a more fleshed out story...but not necessarily a better story
Observer - a bored Rutger Hauer leads you through a bog standard cyber punk story; nothing amazing but not terrible
Blair Witch - found footage aesthetics with the meandering tedium of getting lost in the woods with shallow dog based game play
The Medium - a Silent Hill sound track with a split screen game play gimmick, with some child molestation and the Holocaust mixed in

At least for me, the only game I've enjoyed from them has been Layers of Fear and Observer. But the rest of their output just consistently falls flat.

:same:

I've been a fan of the Blair witch movies, games, comics etc. since the first movie, regardless of how bad it was, but goddamn that game was just so boring

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

discworld is all I read posted:

Observer is not a gimmick, and that game is great. This thread is terrible, however.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Nobody in this thread actually likes horror games, they just like making fun of them.

Or most horror games aren't good and its just more noticeable in a niche genre

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Much like film horror there are some real standouts that explore themes you couldn't really express in any other genre, and a whole lot of schlocky trash made for reaction face thumbnails.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Where's my dino crisis remake crapcom?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Observer is not a gimmick, and that game is great. This thread is terrible, however.

Observer wasn't a gimmick. It was tired cyberpunk cliches slapped on top of tired horror game gameplay.

Like, woo, hide behind some boxed from a spooky monster but this time in VR! Truly a masterpiece.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

dogstile posted:

Nobody in this thread actually likes horror games, they just like making fun of them.

Or most horror games aren't good and its just more noticeable in a niche genre

Most games in general aren't good. The reason horror games stand out is because streamers play so many of them, and are often desperate for content, grabbing anything that looks horror-themed, so the viewing audience sees a lot more of the trash that they wouldn't see in other genres.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Horror is also a difficult genre to do right in video games. You have a medium that is all about input and control and a genre that's all about restricting what you know and what you can do.

The games I consider to be the best "horror" in the past few years aren't strictly horror games: Night in the Woods is the horror of a dying rust belt town, Diary of a Spaceport Janitor is the horror of having no social support in a hostile capitalist hell city, Outer Wilds is the horror of being completely insignificant in the universe, and then there's Resident Evil 2 which is the horror of your first day on the job as a cop in a corporate town :colbert:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I still think some of the best horror in games is when you're not expecting it.

Brothers In Arms: Hells Highway had a hospital level and you start seeing your dead friend in it. Wasn't expecting it after the rest of the game, really threw me off.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Bugsnax is a game about the horror of realizing that you really are what you eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I absolutely love garbage horror games, the only caveat is they can't be boring. The fact that I'll never be able to play Michigan: Report From Hell greatly pains me.