Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Qwijib0 posted:

this is it, the ugliest EV

Eh- I think the i3 is still king there. BMW needs to get their poo poo together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Eh- I think the i3 is still king there. BMW needs to get their poo poo together

Al they have to do is take the M3 body and put batteries in the floor.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

MrYenko posted:

What the actual gently caress, BMW?

No seriously WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress, BMW?

:wtc:

It's like all the bad design cues of the past five years got into a room and some BMW exec went "Ja, das ist gut."

I saw one of the new M2's or whichever one has the enormous grill on the highway the other day and couldn't believe how bad it looked. Even the pictures don't do it justice. If this is what the final version looks like it might be even worse

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

What are the Bonn hive mind thoughts on the Nissan Ariya? I get the feeling that other AI threads seem to consider Nissan a borderline predatory lending manufacturer.

The early preproduction models of the Ariya do look kinda nice. If even half the stuff the YouTube reviewers are showing make it to production, I think there might be something to that vehicle. The haptic integrated buttons in the dash and center console do look pretty nice. I wonder if they provide any real savings over physical buttons. The extra space in the front row has the potential to be nice for my giant frame as well.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I watched the video Bjorn Nyland (Tesla Bjorn) did yesterday or so. It looks nice? Without pricing and all the stats it's hard to say how competitive it will be. People generally like their Leafs though, right?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Looks decent, I’m sure it’ll have proper battery management now and Nissan has more ev experience than anyone really. Should be a good car. Piano black plastic on the outside is a seriously bad idea though, hopefully it was just a pre production thing.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Piano black anywhere is a bad idea

Except pianos I guess

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Qwijib0 posted:

this is it, the ugliest EV

Nah the X still owns the crown for instant shuddering revulsion

That's just a 300C with a dumb grille

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Charles posted:

I watched the video Bjorn Nyland (Tesla Bjorn) did yesterday or so. It looks nice? Without pricing and all the stats it's hard to say how competitive it will be. People generally like their Leafs though, right?

Yeah, if it has proper battery thermal management it should be good, the Leaf's running gear is all solid except the stupid air cooled battery.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't like the "coupe" sloping roofline but that's almost every car is that way now.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, if it has proper battery thermal management it should be good, the Leaf's running gear is all solid except the stupid air cooled battery.

One of the videos I watched mentioned that the batteries were liquid cooled, and were supposedly going to be capable of 130kW DC charging in either size pack. And that they were going to the CCS port standard in the US.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Orvin posted:

One of the videos I watched mentioned that the batteries were liquid cooled, and were supposedly going to be capable of 130kW DC charging in either size pack. And that they were going to the CCS port standard in the US.

CCS in Europe as well, but they're keeping CHAdeMO in Asia apparently.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Chademo is still the standard in Japan I think. China has their own standards. Don't know about the rest of Asia.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

These were the specs released on their announcement 6 months ago, both of which mention active battery thermal management and 130kW ccs for at least europe/usa.

https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/re...ew-era%EF%BF%BC

https://europe.nissannews.com/en-GB/releases/nissan-ariya-an-all-electric-coupe-crossover-for-a-new-era

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Charles posted:

Chademo is still the standard in Japan I think. China has their own standards. Don't know about the rest of Asia.

Japan and China are working together on rolling out Chademo 2.0 which is up to 400kW, (400A at 1kVDC!) and some new related charging standard that can go to 900kW.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

"thermal management" is what the Leaf 60kwh pack fan was called.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Phuzun posted:

The european press release

quote:

This is thanks in part to its battery thermal control feature, which constantly optimizes the operating temperature of the liquid-cooled battery.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Phuzun posted:

Oh hey, that's what's in place of the spare tire on my Soul. :v: But yeah the Ariya will be water cooled.

Elviscat posted:

Japan and China are working together on rolling out Chademo 2.0 which is up to 400kW, (400A at 1kVDC!) and some new related charging standard that can go to 900kW.

Bad rear end. Tesla Bjorn did a video that said "do you really need 800V" and I'm like, yes, everybody wants it to be as fast as pumping gas!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Charles posted:

Bad rear end. Tesla Bjorn did a video that said "do you really need 800V" and I'm like, yes, everybody wants it to be as fast as pumping gas!

there's going to be problems in the coming years in Japan because the government has the cut-off for high voltage (and all the requirements for handling) at 750V, everything over requires the kind of 'high voltage' safety equipment, training, etc. you'd need for something like working on electric trains. so unless the law changes it's going to be interesting.

yes I know the Taycan is coming to Japan and is 800V, I don't know what they're doing for that or how they get around things.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

harperdc posted:

there's going to be problems in the coming years in Japan because the government has the cut-off for high voltage (and all the requirements for handling) at 750V, everything over requires the kind of 'high voltage' safety equipment, training, etc. you'd need for something like working on electric trains. so unless the law changes it's going to be interesting.

yes I know the Taycan is coming to Japan and is 800V, I don't know what they're doing for that or how they get around things.

They'll probably except EV chargers, but it would be awesome if instead they had an attendant in a 40cal suit sitting by the chargers to connect and disconnect you.

Now that I think about it, the way current DCFC probably gets around any high volt safety requirements is that the chargers don't put out high voltage until they're properly connected.

Speaking of, Hey DoomTrainPhD, what do the DC fast chargers look like inside? Is it a transformer connected to a full-wave bridge rectifier, or is it an IGBT/inductor assembly that boosts voltage while rectifying it?

Is there any reason chargers couldn't be connected to distribution level voltage and then use IGBTs in a buck configuration? Seems like that would save some copper at least.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Also sorta on topic, I got recommended a YouTube video on a company called Witricity claiming 91-93% wireless charging efficiency using a form of resonant inductive coupling. Reading Wikipedia, they weren't even able to successfully market a laptop charger, so I'm calling total BS. Still, would be cool if I'm wrong.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Elviscat posted:

They'll probably except EV chargers, but it would be awesome if instead they had an attendant in a 40cal suit sitting by the chargers to connect and disconnect you.

Maintenance and working on the vehicles is the bigger worry. Charging infrastructure is a whole different kettle of fish.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Charles posted:

Also sorta on topic, I got recommended a YouTube video on a company called Witricity claiming 91-93% wireless charging efficiency using a form of resonant inductive coupling. Reading Wikipedia, they weren't even able to successfully market a laptop charger, so I'm calling total BS. Still, would be cool if I'm wrong.

Will it be compatible with the zero point energy generator?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Wireless charging makes a fair amount of sense for small electronics, a couple watts lost due to the lower efficiency is barely worth noting. You'll pick up and put your phone back down numerous times per day, always plugging it in would be annoying. A car uses way more power, so the efficiency losses are more salient, buying an expensive device plus paying an extra 5 to 10% to charge your car vs just plugging it in once or twice a day, seems like a hard sell.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I remember seeing something about having induction coils under highway segments to allow for at speed charging, that must be hilariously inefficient. So no wonder it was just fringe-y.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

gwrtheyrn posted:

Piano black anywhere is a bad idea

Except pianos I guess

Non piano black piano owner spotted

Trust me - it's just as hard to keep fingerprint, smudge, and scratch free. It looks great freshly polished though!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Goober Peas posted:

It looks great freshly polished though!

It also looks great in 3D renders and is probably very cheap, hence it's popularity in car interiors. Looks to be a receding trend thankfully.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Goober Peas posted:

Non piano black piano owner spotted

Trust me - it's just as hard to keep fingerprint, smudge, and scratch free. It looks great freshly polished though!

The only time the piano black in my 3 looked good was the 30 minutes after I took delivery.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

borkencode posted:

Wireless charging makes a fair amount of sense for small electronics, a couple watts lost due to the lower efficiency is barely worth noting. You'll pick up and put your phone back down numerous times per day, always plugging it in would be annoying. A car uses way more power, so the efficiency losses are more salient, buying an expensive device plus paying an extra 5 to 10% to charge your car vs just plugging it in once or twice a day, seems like a hard sell.

priznat posted:

I remember seeing something about having induction coils under highway segments to allow for at speed charging, that must be hilariously inefficient. So no wonder it was just fringe-y.

It's not the same technology as standard induction charging, because both coils resonate, so it's hypothetically way more efficient, if true.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonant_inductive_coupling
Somebody smart at physics can interpret that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiTricity
Here's their Wikipedia article. They made one wireless charging adapter for a Dell laptop in 2017 and that's it. I can't even find any reviews for it. I don't even know if they sold it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I hadn't seen this posted here yet: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/aem-ev-delivers-more-power-to-tesla-ev-conversions-with-its-new-control-system-155435.html

Stand-alone controller for the large Tesla drive units that bump power up 26% vs the stock unit. As if I needed more of a reason to dream about EV swapping a 1960's Buick.
It is impressive that there was that much power left on the table.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

McTinkerson posted:

It is impressive that there was that much power left on the table.

The motor isn't really the weak link in an EV chain, like a gas engine might be.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Speaking of, Hey DoomTrainPhD, what do the DC fast chargers look like inside? Is it a transformer connected to a full-wave bridge rectifier, or is it an IGBT/inductor assembly that boosts voltage while rectifying it?

Is there any reason chargers couldn't be connected to distribution level voltage and then use IGBTs in a buck configuration? Seems like that would save some copper at least.

DC fast chargers (DCFC's) don't look like much on the inside other than some fans, pumps, networking wires, and a controller board. DCFC's really aren't "chargers" so much as passthroughs. All the real power comes from the Power cabinet units (PCUs) and power electronic modules (PEMs). The DCFC itself talks to the PCU which in turn talks to the PEM. The PEM itself will say "Oy, you want ${requested_voltage} and I have ${actual_voltage} so that's what you are getting."

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

The motor isn't really the weak link in an EV chain, like a gas engine might be.

AEM EV also isn't warrantying the drive unit.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I followed a Model S along the autoroute that runs along the east end of lake Geneva last night. It seemed to be having difficulty staying centred in the lane and was braking quite sharply at the speed limit changes. It is a pretty twisty bit of motorway, but is that the Autopilot experience?

Could of course just been a lovely Swiss driver but either way I wouldn't have enjoyed being a passenger.

Luckily Porsche Innodrive is sufficiently bad that I am not tempted to use its more advanced features, but the lane keeping at least is solid.

It's a nice autoroute as they go.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 9, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ola posted:

Didn't Model S motors burn out frequently? At least on the older models.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

knox_harrington posted:

I followed a Model S along the autoroute that runs along the east end of lake Geneva last night. It seemed to be having difficulty staying centred in the lane and was braking quite sharply at the speed limit changes. It is a pretty twisty bit of motorway, but is that the Autopilot experience?

Could of course just been a lovely Swiss driver but either way I wouldn't have enjoyed being a passenger.

Luckily Porsche Innodrive is sufficiently bad that I am not tempted to use its more advanced features, but the lane keeping at least is solid.

It's a nice autoroute as they go.

How's the road markings and lighting? bad road marking can induce some unpleasantness with autopilot, but otherwise it should be pretty solid. In my experience it doesn't brake very hard at speed limit changes either. It's impossible to know for sure if the car was on autopilot or not without looking at the dash though :v:

MrOnBicycle posted:

The early drive units failed a lot due to design/manufacturing flaws, but the newer drive units are good as far as I know.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

Not because they were highly tuned.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Apparently my heat pump on my Soul EV doesn't work due to a faulty software update. I didn't even realize because I bought the car used. On reflection, it should be obvious because a compressor is pretty loud. :facepalm:

From what I can find dealers and even corporate are totally clueless about this and don't know the difference between the resistive heater and a heat pump. Fortunately there's news from Norwegian owners of a fix on the way.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
A lot of the Model Ys and 2021 Model 3s have been experiencing software and sensor issues with the heat pump as well. I used to be a bit jealous I missed the cutoff for the Model 3 heat pump but now I'm ok with it after reading about all of the issues online. My Model 3 was basically flawless, gaps and all.

Apparently the ID4s coming to Canada will have heat pumps too, though oddly the US specific variant will not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

Apparently the ID4s coming to Canada will have heat pumps too, though oddly the US specific variant will not.

Wouldn't be the first time. Isn't the kona like that as well?