Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

WSM users - do you line your water pan with foil or use a foil drip tray? Or just the water pan as-is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I line my water pan with foil and don't usually put water in it. I've been intrigued by that idea of filling it with sand but have never actually tried.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Dango Bango posted:

WSM users - do you line your water pan with foil or use a foil drip tray? Or just the water pan as-is?

I line with foil and then put water. Humidity, thermal mass, etc but having water + foil makes it easier to then dump into my outside trash can.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

I line with foil and then put water. Humidity, thermal mass, etc but having water + foil makes it easier to then dump into my outside trash can.

This is exactly what I was thinking that prompted my question. Thanks!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bob A Feet posted:

How full do you fill it? I don’t like having a ton of grease water to get rid of but I want to use enough to make it help stabilize the temp.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

nwin posted:

How full do you fill it? I don’t like having a ton of grease water to get rid of but I want to use enough to make it help stabilize the temp.

I’ll do it as high as I can get it. I usually do a kettle full of boiling from my electric kettle and then a large cup or whatever I have on hand to fill it to the top (I have the smallest WSM). Then I fill it from an old wine bottle during cooking.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So dumb question: my pork shoulder is toward the end of smoking and while the rub has darkened, the “bark” isn’t quite hard. Is it supposed to be hard?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
How long or at what temp are you? It’ll naturally harden a bit after you take it off/it cools. If you’re pulling it, it won’t really matter because the bark will mix in together with the rest of the pork.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

How long or at what temp are you? It’ll naturally harden a bit after you take it off/it cools. If you’re pulling it, it won’t really matter because the bark will mix in together with the rest of the pork.

I just said gently caress it, it looked the right color (like a molten lava rock), so took it out and pulled it because we had some hungry family. Turned out great, and the bark did kind of harden a bit but not too much. I’d say it turned out perfect—it’s a great feeling feeding a lot of people who genuinely seem to enjoy the food you just cooked

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

life is killing me posted:

Here I was feeling like I was gonna get dog piled by smoking goons for letting rust get inside my smoker, now it sounds unavoidable

I have the cover for it, but mine lives outside without a roof and the cover itself isn't completely waterproof. In retrospect, I would put the water pan and the catch pan inside, upside-down, so they don't collect water. As far as worrying about harming your food, it's perfectly fine.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I have the cover for it, but mine lives outside without a roof and the cover itself isn't completely waterproof. In retrospect, I would put the water pan and the catch pan inside, upside-down, so they don't collect water. As far as worrying about harming your food, it's perfectly fine.

I had to get all the rust I could off the cooking grates and shelves, but stopped because I figured that was enough. I put foil over the pan so I could just wad up the foil and toss it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'll make sure anything touching food is clean, but the rest I don't really care.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

I got a clay plate the right size for my smoker to be a heat sink, then wrap it in like five or sx layers of foil and peel a layer off each time I smoke something.

Sometimes I spray the butts with water every thirty mins for the first two hours, sometimes I don't bother. I have noticed that it's easier to keep it at 225 on a cold day with this setup rather than water.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Thanks for the responses on the water pan. I lined mine in foil for today's inaugural cook.

Where do you get your wood? Any recommendations? Never occurred to me to ask the thread since I was just buying the Western Premium or Weber bags when they went on sale.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

Thanks for the responses on the water pan. I lined mine in foil for today's inaugural cook.

Where do you get your wood? Any recommendations? Never occurred to me to ask the thread since I was just buying the Western Premium or Weber bags when they went on sale.

My local Ace Hardware has the best selection of BBQ related stuff I’ve seen. All different kinds of wood chunk and pellets, as well as lump charcoal. Lowe’s/Home Depot have minimal stuff... they mostly cater to the standard burgers and dogs kind of backyard chef (nothing wrong with that!).

I keep a bag of apple, cherry, and hickory and have dabbled with some post oak and pecan. I love to mix and match and try things out.

And just as a general piece of advice, make sure your smoke is a steely whispy blue and white prior to adding your food. Thick white smoke will give your food an acrid/acidic taste.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I got one of these water pan covers for my 18.5" WSM. I foil just that piece and don't use any water inside the bowl. Easy to clean and and easy to regulate the temp.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I sold my Weber propane grill to my brother when I bought my pellet smoker last year. I wanna pick up a charcoal grill to supplement the smoker later this spring, guessing Weber is still the go-to brand? I don't need it for much more than the occasional burgers/hot dogs for kids, I've always preferred doing steaks on the cast iron indoors.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Super Bowl brisket creeping along nicely... https://share.fireboard.io/0F6BC0

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Enos Cabell posted:

I sold my Weber propane grill to my brother when I bought my pellet smoker last year. I wanna pick up a charcoal grill to supplement the smoker later this spring, guessing Weber is still the go-to brand? I don't need it for much more than the occasional burgers/hot dogs for kids, I've always preferred doing steaks on the cast iron indoors.

I mean, a kettle is never a bad idea. But "the occasional burgers/hotdogs" means you could literally get away with a disposable serving tray, charcoals and a grill grate. No temp control is really necessary.

That reminds me of one time I was roughing it and wanted to bring a grill. I bought one from target on clearance for $5. I used it once before trashing it. It was a gigantic piece of poo poo and I feel bad for anyone buying something like that for repeated use.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 7, 2021

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Enos Cabell posted:

A $20 Weber Smokey Joe seems like a good price for that use case

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

usually i buy bags at the store, but my friends all know if they are getting rid of a cherry or apple tree or something, i'll come cut it down and remove it for free.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

A couple of years ago I mentioned the idea of smoking a Thanksgiving turkey on a smoker for a couple of hours and then finishing it by deep-frying, and one of you in this thread told me that it was a dumbass idea because all of the smoke flavor would go away as soon as the bird hit the fryer.

Since then I have read a shitload of recipes for smoke-fried poultry that suggest the exact opposite.

So this year for Super Bowl Sunday I decided to try a little experiment to see who’s right and who’s wrong using chicken wings.

Left: Spicy Garlic Parmesan
Right: Homemade T.G.I. Friday’s Whiskey Glaze made w/ Real Sugar Dr. Pepper

The wings on the front half of the grates have sat overnight in the fridge with baking powder on them and will be finished on the grill. The ones in the back will be finished in a fryer. All of them will be smoked beforehand. one of the top-back-right wings is missing because one of our resident outdoor kitty friends ran off with it when I wasn’t looking

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 7, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hell yea looking forward to what your results are.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

A couple of years ago I mentioned the idea of smoking a Thanksgiving turkey on a smoker for a couple of hours and then finishing it by deep-frying, and one of you in this thread told me that it was a dumbass idea because all of the smoke flavor would go away as soon as the bird hit the fryer.

Since then I have read a shitload of recipes for smoke-fried poultry that suggest the exact opposite.

So this year for Super Bowl Sunday I decided to try a little experiment to see who’s right and who’s wrong using chicken wings.

The wings on the front half of the grates have sat overnight in the fridge with baking powder on them and will be finished on the grill. The ones in the back will be finished in a fryer. All of them will be smoked beforehand. one of the top-back-right wings is missing because one of our resident outdoor kitty friends ran off with it when I wasn’t looking

RESULTS:

Taste: Both grilled and fried wings tasted amazing, but the grilled tasted slightly better to me, which is cool since grilling wings is fewer calories than frying them anyway.

Crispiness: There was no clearly discernable difference in crispiness between the two methods. If anything the grilled wings might have been slightly crispier than the fried, although if so then it was just barely perceptable.

And now the most important result, and the reason for this whole experiment: :siren: THE SMOKINESS :siren:

*drumroll*

NO DISCERNABLE DIFFERENCE IN SMOKINESS BETWEEN SMOKE-FRIED AND SMOKE-GRILLED CHICKEN WINGS. Other than that extra little bit imparted to the grilled wings by the direct grilling, but for something like a whole chicken or turkey that won’t be direct grilled anyway, that doesn’t matter.

And so, VERDICT: Whichever goon told me that deep-frying removes smoke flavor was full of poo poo (for poultry, at least). Thank you for reading my thesis.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 8, 2021

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I. M. Gei posted:

Out of curiosity, why the baking powder?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Helps get the skin crispy

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I've never thought about using baking powder for that, kinda nifty. But doesn't it give the wings a twangy hint of sourness since it's basically natron? I'm guessing it doesn't since you already commented on the taste, but it bamboozles me a bit.
I guess the smoke flavor either straight up outweighs the twang, or the baking bowder draws out the water while simultaneously reacting with the fat in the skin (:confused:) and the resulting moisture on the skin can both evaporate and/or help the smoke adhere to the wing?

Someone science-up an explanation for me please, because it's intriguing.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It increases the pH which improves the Maillard reaction.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
How much baking powder should you use? A light dusting? Coated?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ZombieCrew posted:

The recipe I use calls for 1 tsp per lb of wings

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I. M. Gei posted:

RESULTS:

NO DISCERNABLE DIFFERENCE IN SMOKINESS BETWEEN SMOKE-FRIED AND SMOKE-GRILLED CHICKEN WINGS. Other than that extra little bit imparted to the grilled wings by the direct grilling, but for something like a whole chicken or turkey that won’t be direct grilled anyway, that doesn’t matter.

And so, VERDICT: Whichever goon told me that deep-frying removes smoke flavor was full of poo poo (for poultry, at least). Thank you for reading my thesis.

This was my hypothesis, as smoking is a chemical reaction not a surface coating that alters the flavor.

Good job busting that myth open.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I know this is the smoking thread but I figure this is still the best group to ask this question of. I'm currently in the market for a new grill. I've been using a Weber Spirit for 9 years and while she still works great it's time to move on. I don't have any specific requirements other than I'd prefer a gas grill. I do find some of those new Traegers tempting though.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

I know this is the smoking thread but I figure this is still the best group to ask this question of. I'm currently in the market for a new grill. I've been using a Weber Spirit for 9 years and while she still works great it's time to move on. I don't have any specific requirements other than I'd prefer a gas grill. I do find some of those new Traegers tempting though.

I’ve heard Weber gas grills are nice and well-made. You pay dearly for that however, because you probably know they are expensive as hell. Traeger is expensive too.

I have a char broil hybrid grill and while it does the job, it’s not made that well. They are decent grills for what they are and aren’t that expensive.

As you probably know also, every grill needs maintenance so it doesn’t end up looking like a charcoal grill in a public park, and if they get that maintenance they will be good to you.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

ZombieCrew posted:

1 part baking powder to 2 or 3 parts salt has worked for me without going to crazy on it, and then apply as much of that as I'd normally use to season.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

vulturesrow posted:

What’s your budget, and how big do you want it?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've never injected pork shoulder with water/apple juice/what have you. I'd it worth it for pork? I've seen it done for brisket but was curious if shoulder was fatty enough for that to be redundant.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Carillon posted:

I've never injected pork shoulder with water/apple juice/what have you. I'd it worth it for pork? I've seen it done for brisket but was curious if shoulder was fatty enough for that to be redundant.

Not worth it imho.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Carillon posted:

I say try it and see. I have friends who swear by it and I have friends who swear against it. Let me know cause I’ve wondered the same thing!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Finally figured out how to use the mini kamado over Super Bowl weekend, but still having trouble getting it to maintain a consistent temperature. I got an "average" of 225, but I kept futzing with the vents, sometimes up to 240, sometimes down to about 210. I need to figure out how to set it consistently early.

Y'all were right about the efficiency though. Basically just needed a bare level of lump charcoal to go all day.

Results:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1358185123754213376

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Carillon posted:

Itd probably would help, but that's a bunch of additional prep on top of a 14 hour smoke. That said, I don't do it :effort: