Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Yeah in an older house I wouldn’t worry about things being slightly out of square - settling happens. I would be worried about seeing that kind of stuff in a brand new house though, because that means the cracks and misalignment are caused by something other than settling, such as significant soil issues, defective foundation, or generally shoddy construction.

gay_crimes posted:

That would be the best case scenario for me for houses sitting on market, I want a more traditional layout that hasn't been converted into open concept and don't mind dated

Looks like a bog standard center hall colonial floorplan, which is a tried and true layout. My only major layout-related gripe with it is the complete lack of delineation between kitchen and dining room. Kitchen just kind of... ends and then there’s dining room furniture. This is fixable though, by building a wall (what I would do) or a cased opening/colonnade, or a strategically positioned island or peninsula.

And some observations on the kitchen itself: the layout looks weird and bad. You have all this perfectly good wall space yet the stovetop is on a tiny island almost no adjacent counter space (our stove has nothing directly around it and it sucks so much), and then the wall ovens are opposite the stove island and next to the sink (where the dish rack goes), so if you’re baking but also have a bunch of pots on the stove, you’ll have to remove your baked thing from the oven and carry it around the stove island to the other side of the kitchen so you can put it down. Also, the only place to sit down and eat is the fancy dining room/zone. This is often how it is in older houses, which I don’t see as an issue, but not having a casual eating spot might bother some people. You could solve it by gutting the kitchen and reconfiguring it so that the stove is against the wall and you have a peninsula/island you can put some stools at, or by giving the dining room a more casual vibe.

Of course, all these observations are moot if there’s something catastrophically, dealbreakingly wrong with the house. I just wanted to call out the bad kitchen layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

B-Nasty posted:

Don't many areas Texas have serious issues with expansive soils? I have to imagine a century house in TX might have some foundation (usually slab on grade?) issues.

Yeah in Dallas, Fort Worth etc you are sitting on top of about 8-30 feet of black clay which, I think one summer we came down to look at a rental house that the previous tenant had moved out in June and it was now August, they had turned off the sprinklers. I was able to fit my leg in a crack in the earth all the way to the hip. Soil definitely does not stay still. Slab foundations in north texas are more like barges that help your house float above the clay than anything else.

That said, that's very specific to north texas; I haven't been to that particular neighborhood but it's probably sitting on moderately rocky sandy loam, as San Antonio is a good 250 miles away and sits on a very geologically different part of the state

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

B-Nasty posted:

Don't many areas Texas have serious issues with expansive soils? I have to imagine a century house in TX might have some foundation (usually slab on grade?) issues.

My guess is that it feels 'old' when seen in person without HDR cranked to 11.

Yes, a lot of Texas has issues with expansive clay soil. In San Antonio it really depends on where in the metro area you are. Eastern parts of San Antonio are very expansive clay soil. The farther West you go, the more likely you are sitting on rock. My old house had expansive soil, but my new one is basically sitting on Limestone. Like the fence company had to jackhammer the holes to put the fenceposts in. I don't know what the soil is like in the Alamo Heights area though. If you're east of I-35, it's very likely you're on expansive clay. Both soils are not conducive to having a basement, coupled with warm weather, thats the reason almost no houses in TX have basements, one of the few things I miss from living up north.

So for folks that aren't local to San Antonio.. Alamo Heights is a very affluent, wealthy section of the city. It's location downtown close to a ton of stuff is very attractive, as are the older homes, larger lots, and top ranked school district. It's a little city inside of San Antonio, it's own municipality*. Rich people find that very attractive for some reason. A house in that area being on the market for as long as that one has, is a giant red flag to me. Maybe the centrally located expensive home market has taken a huge hit since Covid and everyone working from home, but historically the average time on market for the area is around 60 days. Having a house sit on the market for like 15 months is really odd. Everything in that area is older, and the people that want to buy in that area are aware of it. There has to be some kind of major issue with the house, or the owners are going through a divorce and really don't want to sell, or something. Something is up, no idea what though.

Fake edit: Looking around other Alamo Heights listings, I think the market might just be really soft for downtown affluent housing. Covid and WFH are probably depressing things quite a bit as you don't need to be close to work anymore. I can tell you I live just outside San Antonio, and the master planned suburban developments are selling homes as fast as they can build them.

*San Antonio has grown over the years and just encompassed many smaller cities over the years, so there are several towns within a city in the area. Hollywood Park, Alamo Heights, Terrell Hills are a few examples. They all tend to have their own police force, local gov, etc

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
My brother in law just moved to San Antonio and was looking at houses this fall. Had two offers accepted that he ended up walking away from after inspection revealed serious foundation issues in both cases.

One looked excellent on the inside and was staged to sell, the other was clearly abandoned mid-renovation. Both houses were decades old and had been on the market several months.

So I don’t really have firsthand knowledge of the area but it seems like the foundation concerns are a common dealbreaker

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Sundae posted:

It depends entirely on your state.

But the point ought to be moot because you should never, ever allow a dual agency agreement from your realtor.

Agreed. Thanks for the feedback.

lampey posted:

The listing agent still owes a duty to the seller over the buyer in most states in a dual agency situation. The listing agent can only disclose what information the seller approves about other offers

Thanks. In my experience, a buyer's agent can often glean information about competing offers from a cooperative seller's agent, e.g. a buyer's agent says how about we offer $X, and the seller's agent says with a wink, "I'm not sure that offer will be accepted by the seller," rinse and repeat until the seller's agent says "Ok this one has a chance." I was just wondering what happens if a buyer in a dual agency situation offers well above the highest offer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

socketwrencher posted:

Thanks. In my experience, a buyer's agent can often glean information about competing offers from a cooperative seller's agent, e.g. a buyer's agent says how about we offer $X, and the seller's agent says with a wink, "I'm not sure that offer will be accepted by the seller," rinse and repeat until the seller's agent says "Ok this one has a chance." I was just wondering what happens if a buyer in a dual agency situation offers well above the highest offer.

That's not "gleaning information", it's "negotiating" which is part of what the agent's commission is paying for them to do on your behalf. There is no secret code. There are no absolutes. Some realtors that know each other probably just outright lay their cards on the table. Others are playing games. Some are good negotiators. Many are not.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

socketwrencher posted:

Agreed. Thanks for the feedback.

A scrupulous agent will have a harder time doing this in a dual agent situation. They can nudge and wink all they want when you're the one they're representing, because they don't know the number for sure either. Once they're involved on both sides they have to be much, much more careful in what they say because they provably know the real number, so they're much more able to be credibly accused of manipulating the deal.

It's very awkward for even a good agent, too, because they also don't know how much their knowledge of the other side might be subconsciously influencing what they say.

Avoid dual agent situations wherever possible. My agent said if we wanted to buy one of his listings he would pass us on to one of his colleagues.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Motronic posted:

That's not "gleaning information", it's "negotiating" which is part of what the agent's commission is paying for them to do on your behalf. There is no secret code. There are no absolutes. Some realtors that know each other probably just outright lay their cards on the table. Others are playing games. Some are good negotiators. Many are not.

I was under the impression that the amount of other offers are not allowed to be discussed with a buyer/buyer's agent.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

alnilam posted:

A scrupulous agent will have a harder time doing this in a dual agent situation. They can nudge and wink all they want when you're the one they're representing, because they don't know the number for sure either. Once they're involved on both sides they have to be much, much more careful in what they say because they provably know the real number, so they're much more able to be credibly accused of manipulating the deal.

Exactly.

alnilam posted:

It's very awkward for even a good agent, too, because they also don't know how much their knowledge of the other side might be subconsciously influencing what they say.

Avoid dual agent situations wherever possible. My agent said if we wanted to buy one of his listings he would pass us on to one of his colleagues.

Makes sense.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

socketwrencher posted:

I was under the impression that the amount of other offers are not allowed to be discussed with a buyer/buyer's agent.

Whether that is true or not actually has no bearing on what I said. Just because they are allowed to discuss it doesn't mean they will and it also doesn't mean they will provide accurate information if they are discussing it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
You have discovered why it is illegal in several state to do dual agency!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I used an agent at the same firm as the seller's agent when I bought my house. It was convenient because when the seller stole all the appliances and my realtor said 'the contract is a bit wishy-washy so let's not fight this' I only had to threaten one party with a lawsuit to get instant results

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Motronic posted:

Whether that is true or not actually has no bearing on what I said. Just because they are allowed to discuss it doesn't mean they will and it also doesn't mean they will provide accurate information if they are discussing it.

We may be talking past one another. If A is not allowed to tell B what $X is, but B can obtain this information from A in such a way that protects A from technically violating the regulation, I wouldn’t call that a negotiation, even if it’s common practice.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

socketwrencher posted:

We may be talking past one another. If A is not allowed to tell B what $X is, but B can obtain this information from A in such a way that protects A from technically violating the regulation, I wouldn’t call that a negotiation, even if it’s common practice.

I don't think there's any regulation like that, and definitely not universal. A buyer can make the seller sign a non-disclosure thing before putting in an offer, but barring that the seller can disclose if they want.
https://www.homelight.com/blog/multiple-offer-disclosure/

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Has anyone bought a house via Redfin? Good experiences? Bad? Last time we met our real estate agent at the open house and bought the first house we saw so seems like it might work for us! :v:

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Residency Evil posted:

Has anyone bought a house via Redfin? Good experiences? Bad? Last time we met our real estate agent at the open house and bought the first house we saw so seems like it might work for us! :v:

Did this last summer, it was great. Dunno whether that's a universal experience, but it worked out nicely for us, and was a pretty smooth purchase.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Epitope posted:

I don't think there's any regulation like that, and definitely not universal. A buyer can make the seller sign a non-disclosure thing before putting in an offer, but barring that the seller can disclose if they want.
https://www.homelight.com/blog/multiple-offer-disclosure/

interesting, thanks. I've never heard of listing agents openly disclosing numbers with buyer's agents. Seems like that would be quite a game-changer, and maybe not something that would benefit the seller when keeping the actual number undisclosed could prompt higher offers than needed to exceed the current highest offer.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
My realtor said a seller agent should never admit the current accepted/highest bid because of that offer falls through, then the next bidder knows exactly how much the seller is willing to accept. It cost a seller a lot of money.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Motronic posted:

What Motronic says is completely and totally true.

Remember, the incentives are for the buyer real estate agent and seller real estate agent to sell with the least amount of effort. That maximizes the money that both parties make. As a result, real estate agents will legitimately open, haggle, and give their cards on prices to other real estate agents they know and trust.

Legality has very little to do with it because it's already accepted practice and there are ways of communicating which are extremely gray area. Otherwise, why is it that the two offers are always within $1000 or $2000 of each other magically?

AmbientParadox posted:

My realtor said a seller agent should never admit the current accepted/highest bid because of that offer falls through, then the next bidder knows exactly how much the seller is willing to accept. It cost a seller a lot of money.

Why? To a real estate agent, who cares if it costs the seller a lot of money?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

The seller can legally share copies of their offers with all the terms with another buyer if they want. Or they can tell the listing agent to share nothing about the price, or just the offer amount, or just vague assertions. Unless the seller agreed to confidentiality for a buyers benefit, but this is very rare for residential purchases. There isn't always a clear right answer for how much info to share to get the highest and best offer for the seller. Sometimes putting out out more info does result in stronger offers, in others it prevents buyers from making a higher offer as they originally planned, or turns buyers away entirely.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

We did 4 years ago. Smooth experience and it was nice getting a check from them after we moved in.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ntan1 posted:

Remember, the incentives are for the buyer real estate agent and seller real estate agent to sell with the least amount of effort. That maximizes the money that both parties make. As a result, real estate agents will legitimately open, haggle, and give their cards on prices to other real estate agents they know and trust.

Legality has very little to do with it because it's already accepted practice and there are ways of communicating which are extremely gray area. Otherwise, why is it that the two offers are always within $1000 or $2000 of each other magically?

We seem to go in cycles in this thread (I suppose as new people cycle in) who simply do NOT understand the motivations of the average real estate agent. My favorite discussions are the ones where the poster is trying to suss out how this SHOULD work in a just world based on pure internal logic and no experience.

Unless you are buying drat near double the median home price for the area you are shopping the agent we talk about here is the agent you are getting. "Luxury real estate" agents have the same base motivations but a slightly different way of accomplishing them due to factors like their target market being smaller, wealthier, and all being connected by like 3 degrees of separation at the most so it's easy for station-jumping service providers to get a ruinous reputation pretty quickly.

Edit: and to head off the next part of this conversation: No, neither agent is trying to bump the price up to get a bigger commission. They don not care about an extra $150, which is all they see of that extra $10k the got for the seller. They care about closing rapidly and as many as possible.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 9, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ntan1 posted:

What Motronic says is completely and totally true.

It seems like the agent matters quite a bit. We just threw an offer on a house that was $50k below asking (it is insanely overpriced, and it was clear the sellers agent knew). They had two other offers, and my agent could not get the other agent to tell her if the other offers were anywhere near asking or not. Like not even a slight hint.

I've been quite lucky with our agent. Never too pushy, willing to wait stuff out and try and get us a good deal even if it means more time for her, and even encouraged us to seek out a for sale by owner without her if it was going to work out.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I bought my 1st house!
Contract is signed. Mortgage is secured. I already transferred the 10% deposit.
I'm glad I had a realtor to help me, but there were times I wanted to strangle him. And I do get it. To them I'm customer #234. To me this is the biggest purchase of my life.
But in the end. He got me this place. and to his credit, he took care of everything. and is taking care of the next steps.

Transfer date is next month. The place is already in pretty good shape. My realtor said I don't need to do any remodeling, just get some basic furniture. It's basically ready, just walk in. I was thinking about installing floor heating. But my family and friends are saying to feel it out for a month and see if I need it.
The place currently has wooden flooring, which honestly looks pretty good. I liked the moment I stepped in. I saw a place with white tiles and it looked so good. Now I'm thinking about installing white tiles while having the floor heating set up. Because the wooden floor would be raised anyway to install the floor heating. I'm thinking that it's easier to install it before I move in completely and set everything up?

I got some quotes for the floor heating installation and it would roughly cost about €3000. Which seems about right?
I was also thinking about installing a bidet. I'm looking around and I'm seeing them go for anywhere between €2000 to €5000. Are these prices right? that's before including the price of having a professional install it. And I'm not sure if the place has an electrical outlet in the bathroom. If not. That also needs to be done by an electrician. which would cost a bit more.

For example: https://www.frissebips.nl/product/filteren-op/combinatiesets/vitra-v-care-prime/

Started packing and the cats are already on it.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sefal posted:

I bought my 1st house!
Contract is signed. Mortgage is secured. I already transferred the 10% deposit.
I'm glad I had a realtor to help me, but there were times I wanted to strangle him. And I do get it. To them I'm customer #234. To me this is the biggest purchase of my life.
But in the end. He got me this place. and to his credit, he took care of everything. and is taking care of the next steps.

Transfer date is next month. The place is already in pretty good shape. My realtor said I don't need to do any remodeling, just get some basic furniture. It's basically ready, just walk in. I was thinking about installing floor heating. But my family and friends are saying to feel it out for a month and see if I need it.
The place currently has wooden flooring, which honestly looks pretty good. I liked the moment I stepped in. I saw a place with white tiles and it looked so good. Now I'm thinking about installing white tiles while having the floor heating set up. Because the wooden floor would be raised anyway to install the floor heating. I'm thinking that it's easier to install it before I move in completely and set everything up?

I got some quotes for the floor heating installation and it would roughly cost about €3000. Which seems about right?
I was also thinking about installing a bidet. I'm looking around and I'm seeing them go for anywhere between €2000 to €5000. Are these prices right? that's before including the price of having a professional install it. And I'm not sure if the place has an electrical outlet in the bathroom. If not. That also needs to be done by an electrician. which would cost a bit more.

For example: https://www.frissebips.nl/product/filteren-op/combinatiesets/vitra-v-care-prime/

Cats are good praxis.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Sefal posted:

Congrats on the first house!

To be honest I was scratching my head over where this house must be if white tiles and in-floor heating are not mutually exclusive, but then I saw euros. In the US, white tile floors are common in Florida and the far south where you most definitely do not need in-floor heating, but not nearly as common elsewhere.

I’m personally a huge proponent of living in a space for at least a few months to get a feel for it rather than rush in with renovations because sometimes the reality of how you actually use a space is very different from how you thought you would use it. Maybe the house feels perfectly warm as is and you don’t need in-floor heating, just some rugs and some extra pairs of fuzzy socks. The thing about tile floors in a (presumably) colder climate is that if you’re not running the in-floor heat, they’ll feel icy cold on bare feet, while wood floors are neutral. Huge plus in hot climates, not so much elsewhere.

My husband and I considered in-floor heat for our kitchen (as a means to get rid of the huge cast iron radiator and add some cabinet space), but it would be a huge expense and require some shenanigans to interface it with our existing boiler. I asked an Amish floor guy about floor type for in-floor heat and you CAN have wood floors, but it needs to be quarter-sawn so it stays stable with changing temps. Overall not worth it in our case, but nice to know we could still have wood.

Another less invasive option to consider is, if it’s the general feel of radiant heat you like (rather than forced air), to install wall-mounted radiators (not sure about plumbing needs for these but I’m betting less intense than ripping up the floors). I have radiant heat and I like it so much better than forced air.

PS: excellent cattes

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Sefal posted:

Look into adding a bidet seat to the existing toilet rather than adding a separate bidet fixture. You still might need to have an outlet added if you get a fancy heated one, but it'll still be a lot less than adding another drain. I tried looking up Toto products in the EU but apparently they only offer retrofits for their own toilets there, whereas you can get "universal" bidet seats from them here. I don't understand why, but I feel like there are probably other options for retrofitting bidet seats to existing toilets.

Sefal posted:

These are good cattes.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Oooh thank you!
I see waiting it out and getting a feel for it is the better option. I'm going to look around and see into options for bidet seats over here.

I think I had some luck on my side. Because I know very little about the housing market. So I just got a realtor to help me from A to Z.
Contract was signed last October. But the sellers needed more time to move in for their new house. So they delayed transfer until march of this year. But as it turns out
the law changed in 2021. And 1st time house buyers aged between 18 and 35 don't need to pay the 2% transfer tax. Which saves me quite a bit of money.
And I got the mortgage loan closed at 1.08% interest. Which seems really good? On the other hand I'm paying €50K out of pocket, which is all I had saved up. So getting back to a buffer of at least 15K should be my 1st priority. Just for emergencies around the house/life.

I think I'm just a tad too excited which is why I'm already planning on doing stuff to the house. but I really should just get a feel for it. It's already move in ready.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 10, 2021

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
White flooring is going to show every footprint or stain that gets on it. I have off-white floors in the kitchen of our rental and will hopefully never have them again.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sefal posted:

And I got the mortgage loan closed at 1.08% interest. Which seems really good?

Euro mortgages are way way different than American mortgages, particularly English and Dutch. UK has some kind of 0% down thing for first time home buyers, and Dutch offer a -0.5% state backed thing, so it's hard to compare that to privately backed, for-profit mortgage industry

That said 1% is better than my apr

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

How does a first time home buyer compete in a market in which any move in ready home is snapped up in 24 hours by investors with cash offers of 30k over asking and no contingency?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Anza Borrego posted:

White flooring is going to show every footprint or stain that gets on it. I have off-white floors in the kitchen of our rental and will hopefully never have them again.

This is a good point.

This was the floor I saw which sold me on white flooring

This is the floor i'm moving into soon.

The wooden one is fine. It looks good. The white tiles just have that oomph. That really shines.
If I didn't see the white tiles I wouldn't have even looked for different floors.

Dross posted:

How does a first time home buyer compete in a market in which any move in ready home is snapped up in 24 hours by investors with cash offers of 30k over asking and no contingency?
It was hard, Luck is a big part. Amsterdam is a overheated market. I was bidding 30K over asking price and I still lost on a lot of biddings. It was not fun. The way bidding was done here was by having an end date. Which usually was like 2 weeks after it came on the market. All interested parties can make 1 offer and 1 offer only. Highest (the seller can pick, but its usually the highest) wins. No counter offers, Just 1 bid and thats it.

Hadlock posted:

Euro mortgages are way way different than American mortgages, particularly English and Dutch. UK has some kind of 0% down thing for first time home buyers, and Dutch offer a -0.5% state backed thing, so it's hard to compare that to privately backed, for-profit mortgage industry

That said 1% is better than my apr

Ah I see. I really haven't looked into the tax stuff the dutch goverment offers but I think I should check it out.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

We have light grey flooring in our basement and kitchen and I like it, but I don't know if I would if we had kids or dogs. The upkeep is definitely high and we don't mind it because we're super clean anyway, but it'd suck to have to mop every day or live with stains.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Are sloping steps in one direction in a house from the 1800s just part of being an old house? Seems like it’s a “problem” but I don’t know if it’s a deal breaker, or just a quirk that happens when a building settles for hundreds of years

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

gay_crimes posted:

Are sloping steps in one direction in a house from the 1800s just part of being an old house? Seems like it’s a “problem” but I don’t know if it’s a deal breaker, or just a quirk that happens when a building settles for hundreds of years

I've been seeing this quite often in our search where most homes were built between 1880 and 1910. My (amateur) understanding is that some settling is natural but this is also why you get an inspection and, if recommend, a specific foundation inspection so you know what you're getting into.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

gay_crimes posted:

It depends. How sloped/off kilter are we talking about? A couple degrees or Tim Burton degrees? It’s usually just part of being an old house settling over a century or more. Before the 1920’s, foundations were built from stacked stone and soft mortar, so there’s some flexibility for settling. My rule of thumb is that if the house feels solid and doesn’t creak excessively when you’re walking through it and doesn’t have massive cracks in the plaster or brickwork, it’s probably in good shape, but ALWAYS bring in a good inspector, preferably one who’s familiar with old houses.

One of the houses we visited had a very noticeable hump in the living room, which was slightly concerning because the house was somewhat newer (1928 I think). It was pretty creaky but otherwise seemed okay. Don’t know because we didn’t pursue it. My friend bought a Craftsman cottage with a very lumpy upstairs hallway, but the house seriously does not creak or move. He also spent 30k on it and had a friend in construction look it over beforehand. Very sound house. One house we looked on online but didn’t visit (too far outside our radius of desired neighborhoods) was an 1870s rowhouse in a historic district that was very visibly crooked in the photos. But that poo poo is just going to happen in a house that’s 150 years old. Kinda wish we’d gone to look at it just for the hell of it because it was exceptionally old.

House we ended up with was one of the straighter and less creaky ones for its age. We have a very noticeably sagging bay window, but it’s not actively settling and is relatively easy to remedy because it’s its own little protuberance.

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

We tried using a Redfin agent, but ended up firing him. Our housing market is so competitive that we need an agent who had insight into coming-soon places and connections around the area. Our assigned Redfin agent also was very inexperienced and would insist on things like $5k due diligence and $1k earnest money when the market standard is waaaaay over that, and wasn't sure how to do things like escalation clauses. So YMMV.

Last house got 17 offers. Our offer of 26k over was too low. New attempt is a pre-market house that we didn't get to see the inside of yet. Now we get to learn about staggered due diligence! Hooray.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

gay_crimes posted:

Houses settle and do this, but it takes ignoring the problem, which is solvable....at least in my area. Well kept homes of that age will almost inevitably have some amount of corrective foundation work that is obvious from the basement. The ones that don't have things like that going on.

It's not a thing in an "A" property. If you're shopping for "C" properties it's definitely a thing, and probably not a deal killer providing you can live with it or intend to spend the money to remediate. You absolutely need someone qualified, likely two people, to look at it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dross posted:

Wait until the forecasted* inflation dies down in 3-4 years and the wealthy no longer need to park their liquid cash money in inflation resistant vehicles

*by some highly risk-adverse models developed for wealth management funds; don't try and time the market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Dross posted:

Honestly, are you doing cover letters? I have no idea how effective they are but it could help sell a story about your sappy life and maybe the seller will take you over the investor because they want a good family in their home, not an airbnb guest house situation?

Koala Food posted:

We tried using a Redfin agent, but ended up firing him. Our housing market is so competitive that we need an agent who had insight into coming-soon places and connections around the area. Our assigned Redfin agent also was very inexperienced and would insist on things like $5k due diligence and $1k earnest money when the market standard is waaaaay over that, and wasn't sure how to do things like escalation clauses. So YMMV.

My realtor commented that Redfin agents make an hourly rate and don't receive a commission. I imagine a Redfin agent thats serious about real estate would move to a commission-based firm once they knew enough.