Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I always thought received wisdom was NEVER accept a caution, as it's just used by the police as an easy way to deal with someone without going through the hassle of a formal charge, particularly in cases of protests and civil disobedience etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The Perfect Element posted:

I always thought received wisdom was NEVER accept a caution, as it's just used by the police as an easy way to deal with someone without going through the hassle of a formal charge, particularly in cases of protests and civil disobedience etc.

What do you lose by receiving a caution, though? (honest question, not trying to be smart)

It sounds like by turning one down you'd be gambling that the plod can't be bothered pinning a charge on you.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The difference between a formal & an informal caution, ime, is that a formal caution is a thing they pressure you into in order to impose criminal sanctions without any pesky judicial system getting in the way, whereas an informal caution is what they call it when they just want to steal your weed

Never accept a formal caution without advice (unless, like, you're obviously bang to rights), but informal cautions are fine

I never even got any paperwork or anything for informal cautions, they just stole my weed

(this is not serious law posting btw, I know I do that sometimes but I don't know poo poo about the criminal justice system)

E:

Gort posted:

What do you lose by receiving a caution, though? (honest question, not trying to be smart)
I accepted one once, in the circumstances it was probably the right thing to do but they do show up on CRB checks & NPCC certificates, I have to declare it when I'm applying for visas & honestly it's a big stress you just don't need. If a judge might let you off, get legal advice first

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 8, 2021

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If I accepted a caution for something I didn't do - just to make the filth go away - it would show up on any DBS checks run on me in the future, and potentially mean I could never get work in my chosen profession again (although that would probably depend on the nature of the offense).

If what you're being accused of is horseshit, then make the cunts work for whatever bullshit they want to slap you with.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gort posted:

It sounds like by turning one down you'd be gambling that the plod can't be bothered pinning a charge on you.

If you accept one and want to go to the us on holiday you need to declare it and then your esta or whatever it's called will be rejected requiring you to go to the us embassy for an interview.

Based on what's happened to friends who had them

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Miftan posted:

I mean that's just a really poo poo system tbh. "Either you let us lie about you and put it on your file or we give you an even bigger file as a trouble maker"

We found our previous performance metrics based along woolly principles of right and wrong really weren't giving us the outcomes we desired. McKinsey spent 18 months with us working through their multi-step values orientation programme and we discovered that we aren't about delivering justice, our core mission is coercion and our goal is to be the key provider to everyone in the country.
Our new metrics are now actionably aligned to maximising performance against that key business driver. The change has been amazing. Our clients tell us again and again that they can't get enough of our services and happily sign up their friends and family members. If they don't we help them down the staircase to the cells a few more times and they soon change their minds.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Don't you just hate it when you're having a rant on facebook and your browser freezes for 20 minutes so it looks as if you're too scared to answer whatever point you are in the middle of ranting about and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find you can overcome that unfair impression by calling the other person a dogfucker in your response. While it can't make you seem keen it can certainly compensate for that with commitment.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Jose posted:

If you accept one and want to go to the us on holiday you need to declare it and then your esta or whatever it's called will be rejected requiring you to go to the us embassy for an interview.

It depends when you got it and what it's for.

https://davieslegal.com/news/approach-caution-frequently-asked-questions-effect-cautions-admissibility-u-s/

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
A lot of the time if you refuse the caution they'll just let you go scott free, because they know that the CPS would piss themselves at the idea of charging you. As always, get a solicitor for any planned interaction with the police if you at all can, and take their advice.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That and CPS barely has the funds to go after actual crimes at the moment, let alone whatever police are threatening you with a caution over.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jose posted:

That depends what the caution is for, if it's a "crime of moral turpitude" you must declare it, for others you don't.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's going to be so cool when the US drug war finally collapses.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

quote:

It's going to be so cool when the US finally collapses.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Lungboy posted:

That depends what the caution is for, if it's a "crime of moral turpitude" you must declare it, for others you don't.

I don't need a conviction to fail this test.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is moral turpitude what they used to paint the sistine chapel?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Given how the Catholic Church makes its money, yes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

Interesting that the only 2 still basically sound, reasonably high profile comedians - Chris Morris and Stu Lee - came through the same show.

There are a few other sound comedians - Josie Long, Alexei Sayle, Francesca Martinez, Mark Thomas - though none of those get high profile work anymore really. Can anybody think of any others?

Frankie Boyle (post-Mock the Week), Mark Steele, Romesh Ranganathan

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

No, it what they use to clean mortal sin.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tesseraction posted:

Nish is generally good too isn't he?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
All the comedians who’ve appeared on the Bugle are generally sound, though Andy seems to be slipping into liberalism

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Total Meatlove posted:

All the comedians who’ve appeared on the Bugle are generally sound, though Andy seems to be slipping into liberalism

The Bugle was always pretty liberal.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
James Acaster seems to be one of the good guys and I heartily recommend his 'Cold Lasagne Hate Myself 1999' thing which is available in places.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/GeorgeAylett/status/1358935271383957504?s=20

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Sara Pascoe seems pretty good too

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

TheRat posted:

Sara Pascoe seems pretty good too

She really isn’t.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Comrade Fakename posted:

She really isn’t.

What's she done? I vaguely remember another comedian once alluding to her secretly being a poo poo.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
If the last five years have taught me anything, it's to assume that all the entertainers, presenters, authors and comedians are massive shitheads until proven otherwise.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Have some Japanese grandpa metal to entertain you through the night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbI79e5iZKs

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Boyle endorsed Baddiel's book and Acaster had Jessflaps on his podcast.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Comrade Fakename posted:

She really isn’t.

Oh no, how come? I really enjoyed one of her shows.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

stev posted:

Nish is generally good too isn't he?
Nish is a good follow on twitter, just don't ever read the replies. Daily Mash is really pushing as far left as the BBC will allow, although the last two series have had to allow that oval office Norcott on - it's alright apart from his bits.

stev posted:

What's [Sarah Pascoe] done? I vaguely remember another comedian once alluding to her secretly being a poo poo.
A few of Boyle's New World Order shows had her filling in the centrist Corbyn jokes bits, which went pretty heavily unchallenged.

Boyle and her also went along completely with Baddiel when he was on, and it seemed very much in the vein of 'If Frankie's going to be rude about the conservatives then someone has to be rude about Corbyn as well."

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Tesseraction posted:

Steel has been melting pretty hard lately.

https://twitter.com/mrmarksteel/status/1346488164999962625?s=20

Pascoe said some sneering shite about Corbyn I seem to remember?

Boyle sticks in my mind as a bit of a prick. Think he said something about young Corbynites being a problem on twitter which he's since deleted.

Nish Kumar is good though far as I can tell, yeah.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Entertainment selects for arseholes just as efficiently as politics, in almost the same way - the Footlights>BBC pipeline makes it almost impossible for the non-posh to break into TV, and most of the other ways involve being picked up by the right agent - there's a reason why the same dozen or so comics completely dominate the panel show circuit and it's certainly got nothing at all to do with their ability.

(This isn't a new thing of course - Off The Kerb are now just where Hat Trick used to be, Hat Trick replaced the slightly looser coalition around the Comedy Store, who replaced Lew Grade, and so on)

It's notable that things have got a lot, lot worse since Malcolm Hardee died and the top level of the London standup circuit is dominated by clubs utterly devoted to the American "tight 15" style - the only outlet for anyone wanting to do anything that's not honed to razor-sharpness is the rather smaller improv circuit and even improv people hate improv people.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Those 3 guys from the last leg were also laying into Corbyn unchecked IIRC.

I often wonder if most of these comedians are just trying to be apolitical and popular and as a result repeat whatever bollocks is popularly trending (like laying into Corbyn) to stay relevant.

I thought it was kind of taking the piss on that show as they generally imply they're well read or researched on subjects.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

stev posted:

What's she done? I vaguely remember another comedian once alluding to her secretly being a poo poo.

Like others have said when she was on Boyle's show she was the peak "haha innit funny tories and labour are just as bad as each other corbyns poo poo isn't he lol"

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Kin posted:

Those 3 guys from the last leg were also laying into Corbyn unchecked IIRC.

I often wonder if most of these comedians are just trying to be apolitical and popular and as a result repeat whatever bollocks is popularly trending (like laying into Corbyn) to stay relevant.

I thought it was kind of taking the piss on that show as they generally imply they're well read or researched on subjects.

The idea of only implying you're well read but just rehashing boring shite is in itself quite funny to me lol.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
jeremy corBIN aha! like the dustBIN of history which is where the old 1970s commie anti-semite belongs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL :smug:

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The last leg is peak liberal the truth is somewhere in the middle, beyond even south park. It had some decent moments, but when they shifted from Paralympic coverage to general politics it got bad.

I believe that Matt fford is a writer so that explains a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Is Kevin Bridges okay?