Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sickening posted:

I do like that Microsoft is actively telling you to not expire your users password in their security suggestions across their platforms.

If I can just get the olds to buy in.

Can you tell me exactly where this is? I want to send this to a few folks. I don't see it in Compliance Manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I'd love to know where it is in compliance center, you can also find a post by MS here in their password policy recommendations article

quote:

Password expiration requirements for users

Password expiration requirements do more harm than good, because these requirements make users select predictable passwords, composed of sequential words and numbers which are closely related to each other. In these cases, the next password can be predicted based on the previous password. Password expiration requirements offer no containment benefits because cyber criminals almost always use credentials as soon as they compromise them. Check out Time to rethink mandatory password changes for more info.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
We changed to something like 14 character passwords with expiry once a year, just over a year ago. It was a compromise from the original plan of no expiry but 25-30 character length passwords

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GreenNight posted:

Can you tell me exactly where this is? I want to send this to a few folks. I don't see it in Compliance Manager.

It’s in secure score -> security.Microsoft.com

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I HAVE THE MAILBOX IS FULL AGAIN AND I HAVE DELETED SO MANY THINGS I CANT SEEM TO FIGURE OUT WHAT NEEDS TO BE DELETED FOR METO GET THIS DONE. I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON IT FOR OVER 2 WEEKS DELETING EMAILS. COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME AGAIN?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

quote:

Research has found that when periodic password resets are enforced, passwords become less secure. Users tend to pick a weaker password and vary it slightly for each reset. If a user creates a strong password (long, complex and without any pragmatic words present) it should remain just as strong in the future as it is today. It is Microsoft's official security position to not expire passwords periodically without a specific reason, and recommends that cloud-only tenants set the password policy to never expire.

The argument my boss is making is that we're not cloud only, we have on prem AD therefore passwords should expire, according to MS.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

GreenNight posted:

The argument my boss is making is that we're not cloud only, we have on prem AD therefore passwords should expire, according to MS.

Your boss is a dipshit, MS is just echoing NIST recommendations that aren’t even that recent.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, this is wrong and also if you have on-prem stuff you can still use Azure AD Bad Password Protection.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/authentication/howto-password-ban-bad-on-premises-deploy

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GreenNight posted:

If you are hybrid with password hash sync, cloudside account password expiration is disabled so feel free to laugh at your boss(only passthru auth hybrid has password expiration on cloudside auth)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The new org is great with MFA, FIDO tokens, etc... but they still make us change our passwords every 90 days. I hope we can convince them to move to a 1 year expiration.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, this is wrong and also if you have on-prem stuff you can still use Azure AD Bad Password Protection.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/authentication/howto-password-ban-bad-on-premises-deploy

I am fully deployed in audit mode for this right now. Local AD is the source of truth for authentication and password changes other than those done through intune ctrl-alt-del to their azure AD profile. Everyone authenticates through Okta, but the delegation occurs down to AD through the on prem agents.

Once we’ve had this deployed for a month or so, I’ll start pulling data so we can start picking a date to work towards with communication, etc.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
https://pages.nist.gov/800-63-FAQ/

If anyone needs to argue with people about it

quote:

A-B05:
SP 800-63B Section 5.1.1.2 paragraph 9 states:

“Verifiers SHOULD NOT require memorized secrets to be changed arbitrarily (e.g., periodically). However, verifiers SHALL force a change if there is evidence of compromise of the authenticator.”

Users tend to choose weaker memorized secrets when they know that they will have to change them in the near future. When those changes do occur, they often select a secret that is similar to their old memorized secret by applying a set of common transformations such as increasing a number in the password. This practice provides a false sense of security if any of the previous secrets has been compromised since attackers can apply these same common transformations. But if there is evidence that the memorized secret has been compromised, such as by a breach of the verifier’s hashed password database or observed fraudulent activity, subscribers should be required to change their memorized secrets. However, this event-based change should occur rarely, so that they are less motivated to choose a weak secret with the knowledge that it will only be used for a limited period of time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The real problem is that we have to wait for auditors to catch up and for security assessments in contracts to catch up.

It can be a recommendation from agencies for 100 years, but until that auditor from EY no longer asks for a screenshot of the AD policy to expire passwords, it's going to remain in effect.

Same with contracts. Oh, we attested in this contact we signed 5 years ago that we expire our passwords every 90 days. Well, we aren't rewriting that contact anytime soon so we can't change it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://github.com/lithnet/ad-password-protection

I've had good success with Lithnet's password protection and it even has a bit about scanning your AD for compromised passwords found in haveibeenpwned. Even if you don't use it for the agents and all that, that piece is good.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Something that never fails me to piss me off is how many loving agents and ancillaries programs I need to install for these kind of hybrid azure features, one agent on every dc for azure atp, one agent on every dc for password protection, at least one rando server agent for ad connect, another one for intune ad connector, another one for password protection proxy and I’m sure I’m forgetting some. Just have a single agent for everything to be installed on each dc and stop this nonsense

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah we don't pay for Azure P2 license so we can't do a self service reset portal or password writeback.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GreenNight posted:

Yeah we don't pay for Azure P2 license so we can't do a self service reset portal or password writeback.

Sspr and write back is p1 tho

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We have whatever comes with 365 Business Standard which is not enough apparently.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/authentication/concept-sspr-licensing

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

SlowBloke posted:

Something that never fails me to piss me off is how many loving agents and ancillaries programs I need to install for these kind of hybrid azure features, one agent on every dc for azure atp, one agent on every dc for password protection, at least one rando server agent for ad connect, another one for intune ad connector, another one for password protection proxy and I’m sure I’m forgetting some. Just have a single agent for everything to be installed on each dc and stop this nonsense

Hybrid runbooks, cert connector, proxy, Arc, probably a few more

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GreenNight posted:

We have whatever comes with 365 Business Standard which is not enough apparently.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/authentication/concept-sspr-licensing

You need Microsoft 365 e/a 3 for included p1 or 5 for p2, business standard is their cloud equivalent to small business server.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SlowBloke posted:

So one of the first things I noticed at my new gig was the sheer number of agents and poo poo running on DC's. Like yeah you're having performance issues... There's 9 different loving agents all contending for resources in addition to AD.

We're looking at rolling out ATP/Defender for ID, and it's requirements are probably going to cause us to resize our entire DC fleet.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

devmd01 posted:

I am fully deployed in audit mode for this right now.

How much of a pain in the neck was this actually to set up and implement? Going over the number of workarounds in the documentation I'm getting a "This software is held together with duct tape" vibe

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

skipdogg posted:

So one of the first things I noticed at my new gig was the sheer number of agents and poo poo running on DC's. Like yeah you're having performance issues... There's 9 different loving agents all contending for resources in addition to AD.

We're looking at rolling out ATP/Defender for ID, and it's requirements are probably going to cause us to resize our entire DC fleet.

In our case we had to move from 1vcpu/2gb to 2vcpu/8gb on each dc, along with extra 20gb space on the os disk if the image was old when we pushed azure atp. Also there are a few caveats on vm dc to be aware of. The docs explain most of the pain points.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

skipdogg posted:

Also make sure you don’t have any teamed NICs (or you’ll need to install an older version of npcap) and don’t run any bullshit like Cisco Tetration on them.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

klosterdev posted:

How much of a pain in the neck was this actually to set up and implement? Going over the number of workarounds in the documentation I'm getting a "This software is held together with duct tape" vibe

Most of Microsoft password security solutions local assets are janky, be it azure atp, password protection or even laps. Nothing to be surprised really(the worst offender since we went all in on Microsoft stack is intune ad connector, which looks like something out of nirsoft rather than Microsoft)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

klosterdev posted:

Super easy. I didn’t care about redundancy for the proxy, so I just deployed one. As long as one DC can talk to the proxy, it will store the data in sysvol to replicate to the rest. Only deal is that you will have to install the agent on and reboot every DC.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

After years of working for a dogshit rear end consultancy I’m now being given a multiple days onboarding and expected to shadow people on projects for a while before I really get my hands on anything. Feels weird, I’ve been conditioned to expect the worst

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Enjoy your pod while it lasts!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ughhh the only jobs that are getting sent my way via recruiters are MSPs (doing the same poo poo I am now probably for the same/less pay) or working for finance companies of various flavors which pay very well but I think I know better; my will is being broken though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

i am a moron posted:

After years of working for a dogshit rear end consultancy I’m now being given a multiple days onboarding and expected to shadow people on projects for a while before I really get my hands on anything. Feels weird, I’ve been conditioned to expect the worst

I just started week 6 and I still haven't had admin accounts provisioned yet. No hurry on my part

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Post your resume and/or your linked in of your comfortable doing that

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My pod is giving all of the employees “performance based bonuses” in a lump sum this year in lieu of a raise. We service the medical industry, and as you can imagine our services therefore revenue have dropped off last year as elective surgeries have gone downhill for obvious reasons. I’m not mad; I’m here for at least another year until I’m fully vested and then i’m gonna take a long hard look at the skills that I have, experience that I have, and how I can best capitalize on what I bring to the table in any discussion about interviewing elsewhere or making it worth my while to stay.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

skipdogg posted:

I just started week 6 and I still haven't had admin accounts provisioned yet. No hurry on my part

Got a buddy who went to Google Jan 1 and he’s not even through onboarding yet. I’m still in a billable role and I get itchy as hell when I’m not billing. The bench and low utilization is death to me

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

i am a moron posted:

Got a buddy who went to Google Jan 1 and he’s not even through onboarding yet. I’m still in a billable role and I get itchy as hell when I’m not billing. The bench and low utilization is death to me

I feel you man. That poo poo takes time to go away. Well, it probably won’t ever go away but it becomes less of an itch.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

A recruiter sent me a very tempting offer this morning but snuck “on site with mandatory occasional travel” in there and that’s a big ol Nope

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

More government agencies saying "don't expire passwords":

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/passwords/updating-your-approach

quote:

Don't enforce regular password expiry
Regular password changing harms rather than improves security. Many systems will force users to change their password at regular intervals, typically every 30, 60 or 90 days. This imposes burdens on the user and there are costs associated with recovering accounts.

Forcing password expiry carries no real benefits...

Whenever I need to look for security advice the NCSC seems to be pretty much aligned with what ~*the industry*~ outside of Spiceworks and Reddit is saying to do, it's a really good resource. I assume each country will have a similar agency.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey, the March 9th 2021 Win 10 update with install Chromium Edge by default and remove legacy Edge. Good luck everyone.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Are people worried about that?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I don't really have any concerns about that. Old-Edge wasn't around long enough for people to use it.

Really, they should have just used that as an opportunity to go back to the Internet Explorer branding. If we can have nu-Edge, we can have nu-Internet Explorer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

With Edge's fancy O365 Plug-ins and whatever management that comes with it there's literally no reason to deploy any other web browser.