Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Sn30 doesn't have HD rumble, which doesn't matter for most titles but is worth mentioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
If you can't play every switch game with your hands clenched over a sideways joycon like witch's talons, carpal tunnel rapidly setting in as your hands become gnarled perma-claws, then you're not a tru gamer.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
I played myself by not paying much attention to the mario missions between the last pin set and now. I'm at 12/15 and the only two that show as completable are to buy the 3d world game (which will tick complete after Friday), and to redeem a code from Cold Stone. Seems like unless another mission comes up it'll be impossible for me to get the second set of pins.

Ah well, hopefully most of the people who are eligible will get this set and there won't be a huge number of people left out.

Picked up Cultist Simulator because I had some credit and it looked like it's worth a shot. I can't help but feel like Switch is not the platform for it. Everything is cryptic which I gather is intentional, but it's easy to miss some pressing timers because they're on a second layer, and figuring out which cards go where and do what is tedious when you have to open popups for every slot and every card to even see what they can do. Might give it a bit more time but I think I'd rather have it on PC where I can hover to get tooltips rather than pressing a button on everything.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a recommended 3rd party dock? I was thinking of setting one up on a 2nd tv.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a recommended 3rd party dock? I was thinking of setting one up on a 2nd tv.

I'll be honest with you, being certain your switch will.. switch, automatically, or start up a TV regularly when requested by a controller has led me to abandon third party units. Too inconsistent. I've tried a kickstartarter one, rocketfish one, best buy one, the one that is just a series of plugs and not really a dock. I bit the bullet and got two more docks over the years and I am just happy they work as intended every time, albeit overpriced. On the plus side, they have a lot of d-brand skins so you can make them look neat.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Genki Travel dock is the truth

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I glued a keyboard and mouse to my Switch because I am an elite gamer.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'd do that, but then where would I put my cartridge holder?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Do we know if Mario 3D world can be played with a single joycon? And if it does, is it reasonable or completely awful? I know it obviously won’t be ideal.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'd imagine it's reasonable. The game isn't terribly complicated when it comes to your available controls.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The original could be played with a sideways wiimote. Anything would be an improvement

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

The Bloop posted:

I can wake up my Switch and then scan an amiibo with my Pro Controller

checkmate, 3rd party trash

I tried to press up on this good post but then it also pressed left.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I don't mind the Pro Controller's d-pad and use it to play emulated games on my PC. :coffee:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'd love to see the venn diagram of people who defend crappy d-pads and people who come in here and talk about old Mario games all "is it just me or is this game lovely"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The dpad is very bad but I don't really play games that need the dpad. If I'm playing Tetris 99 I'm either playing handheld or will use a Joycon.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Video games are, to me at least, sometimes pretty cool.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If you play a lot of 2d games you will use the dpad a lot. Using an analog stick for a sidescroller is disgusting

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Getting into Xenoblade Chronicles X is simultaneously one of the best and worst things because I love the game a lot but it also has pretty much a non existent fan base, is stuck on the least succesful nintendo console and has an ending that demands a sequel but that never came

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The d-pad on a fixed Pro Controller is, fine. It's not my first choice by placement alone.

But yeah if you have a broken Pro Controller still then either fix it or get a third party controller 2D games and still fix it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

WHY BONER NOW posted:

If you play a lot of 2d games you will use the dpad a lot. Using an analog stick for a sidescroller is disgusting
It's fine, actually.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Bleck posted:

I'd love to see the venn diagram of people who defend crappy d-pads and people who come in here and talk about old Mario games all "is it just me or is this game lovely"

I completely get why it bothers some people (there's no noticeable pivot point in the center) but it genuinely doesn't bother me when I'm actually playing games.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It bothers some people because it's terrible at recording the correct inputs. It has nothing to do with a pivot point and everything to do with bad sensors underneath.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve never had a single problem with the pro dpad. My only issue is it seems kinda stiff

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Beat the Mother Chomper today after seven or eight retries. The only thing that really seemed to work was having Vi and Leif unload on the boss with their strongest skills while Kabbu taunted and did healing. It was a really close victory though, Kabbu KO'd and Leif and Vi at 1 HP.

I'm not sure if I'm trying to tackle bosses before I'm reasonably supposed to be able to handle them, or if I'm bad at the game. So far I haven't found any medals that seem too game breaking, but I'm not sure if I've got a bad medal loadout and I should be equipping different ones. I've found some that turn Leif into even more of a support oriented character but it feels like I'm usually needing him to do some heavy damage to the bosses (especially since Mother Chomper and Devourer are plants, which he does extra damage to) so I don't know if giving him them would help. Especially Charge Up, which I'm not sure how to make use of (wouldn't stalling for 3 turns to get 3 charges do less damage than just attacking every turn?). Weak Stomach/Poison Attacker seems like a neat combination, but it wouldn't have helped a lot during Mother Chomp since Kabbu was the only one really losing any HP unless I just wanted to burn a healing item on someone else who didn't need it.

And I'd noticed some of the houses in the Ant Kingdom were cardboard boxes that said "This side up" and the soda can in the Lost Sands, but it didn't really hit me until they talked about the big walls that I went "Oh, this is a sandbox" and then I found the telescope in the Bee Kingdom which confirmed yep, just someone's backyard. But they haven't talked about "the giants" except in the museum plaque, so I assume it's just a neat touch and humans don't actually play any significant role in the game (in fact it sort of sounds like humans no longer exist).

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm definitely happy that Nintendo is reusing existing batteries where possible across their products. It absolutely makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint, but also helps with longevity.

That said, I recently bought a third-party battery for one of my GBA SPs since it appears you haven't been able to purchase OEM ones from Nintendo for 2-3 years now. The battery life of the third-party battery isn't great. It's advertised capacity is about a third of what you get with Eneloop AAs on an OG GBA and actual capacity is maybe even less than that. While the SP always sacrificed battery life for compactness, it was one of the first devices I ever bought with a proprietary battery design and it (rightfully) worried me then about what would happen in the future. The PSP battery siutuation is similar. Meanwhile all my Wii stuff is trucking along as well as it ever has, again due to use of AAs.

Another reason why the 8BitDo SN30+ is a good "P2" controller since, while it comes with a battery pack you can just swap in AAs so it's one less device with a proprietary battery you have to worry about long term.

I had a similar experience. I am one of 18 people who really like the Wii U, though I understand why it didn't sell, and I like the pad but was frustrated by the battery life. I tried perhaps three third-party batteries that claimed to have longer life but all were no better or worse than the original. Finally I broke down and bought a Nintendo-official extended life battery, and it was a huge difference.

Just like the Swich pro controller, Nintendo's first-party stuff is overpriced but very well made.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Inzombiac posted:

Video games are, to me at least, sometimes pretty cool.

The biggest lie itt

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

TheScott2K posted:

who even cares about the dpad on a nintendo controller

Get out

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Finally grabbed everything in Paradise Killer! I apologize for constantly raving about this game, but it's absolutely my favorite game of 2020 (with Bugsnax as a close second). It hooked me from the opening credits, and I can't get it out of my mind since I started playing. As I've said before, if you enjoy vaporwave, investigation games, or games set in weird worlds, do check this game out.

I've even pre-ordered the vinyl soundtrack, I love this drat game so much. Only problem is, I don't have a vinyl player, so I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap one... I highly recommend if you enjoy city pop or similar styles of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y27Xcd2nZc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwdpF3H_3h0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41BJ2a4-EwU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How well does Paradise Killer run on switch? It looks soooo good.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
People on the internet love to criticise dpads

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How well does Paradise Killer run on switch? It looks soooo good.

Not sure how it runs on PC, but on Switch, certain areas of the game (the gardens in particular) definitely lead to some framerate issues..or the game at least seemed to sort of stutter, lag, or pause for a second before going back to normal (assuming that's a FPS thing, I don't know the lingo too well). I have broken eyes so it didn't really bother me, but my partner is really sensitive to that stuff and would remark on it while he was glancing over at the TV.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There's nothing too fast-paced in terms of gameplay is there? I got the impression it was a sort of puzzle game.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

We all know the Vita's is the best.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Why use a D-Pad when I could use an A+Pad

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

JollyBoyJohn posted:

What else would we be doing? PLAYING the games we own?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There's nothing too fast-paced in terms of gameplay is there? I got the impression it was a sort of puzzle game.

It's very much an open-world investigation game, with some VERY minor platforming. The FPS issues never affected the platforming for me, but the jumping physics do take a bit getting used to. I wouldn't call it a fast-paced game at all, either in gameplay or in story. Some folks think the game throws too much lore at you at once, but I didn't really have that problem, plus the in-game computer has a database of all your clues, lore, etc.

You're put in a big (if "empty", as there are no side quests, mini games, etc) open world and are told to solve a major crime, so the entire game is you doing as much (or as little) investigating as you like. You can start the game and head right to the court section having found literally no clues, or spend like 50+ hours just exploring, investigating, and chilling out to the music (like me).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That sounds soooo good

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I can't recommend it enough. If anyone is on the fence, check out the first ten minutes or so to see if you like the style aesthetic-wise. The opening credits start at 6:30, and I was absolutely hooked from then on. Also, you get to meet my favorite new character of 2020 (Shinji). I love the game so much I may just get a tattoo of my boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO8FAa-9Lj8

I forgot to mention, it seems to take some style cues from both DanganRonpa and Suda51's The Silver Case. The former due to all the neon pink blood and flat 2D character portraits in a 3D world, and the latter due to the computer/robot voice that announces character names, collectibles, etc.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 9, 2021

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It is really good. I haven't been able to get back to it in a while, but I look forward to when I can. I bought the soundtrack from the developer's bandcamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
I never played yu gi oh growing up but i taught myself to play with the switch version andnits actually pretty fun, 9000+ cards is pretty overwhelming tho