Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Willo567 posted:

yeah, worrying about how the show ends now before it even airs was a bit much. i don't know, i just love the characters

And that's what fan doujinshi are for :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arist posted:

The end of Gurren Lagann is largely fine, but it rings kind of hollow when ten minutes earlier they're using galaxies as throwing stars and now they're all "you can't use willpower to do whatever you want." But the bigger problem IMO is that Nia's death absolutely should not have been a twist. They should have known she would die going into the final battle, which would have had a much stronger emotional impact than springing on the audience.

Yeah I can agree with all of that, and that it wasn't gracefully handled.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Arist posted:

The end of Gurren Lagann is largely fine, but it rings kind of hollow when ten minutes earlier they're using galaxies as throwing stars and now they're all "you can't use willpower to do whatever you want." But the bigger problem IMO is that Nia's death absolutely should not have been a twist. They should have known she would die going into the final battle, which would have had a much stronger emotional impact than springing on the audience.

What are you talking about? They heavily heavily imply that she's not going to make it. They pound you over the head that her existence is tied to the anti-spirals. And she even starts glitching out during the final battle with a shot of Simon noticing with a pained look on his face.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah 'nia is going to vanish after the final battle' is a very heavily foreshadowed plotpoint. nia even starts to tell simon but he just smiles at her, iirc? and yeah, her body glitches out a couple times in the final battle.

also imo the point of the ending isn't 'you can't use willpower to do whatever you want,' it's that 'no matter how strong willed you are bad things are going to happen, but you have to keep pushing forward regardless.' that ties into the final battle. there's a big panorama of everyone simon's lost over the course of the show and it powers him up, because he's taken those losses and kept moving forward. how over the top the finale is and nia fading away directly correlate.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I haven't seen the end of GL in years so I can't really remember what you're referring to, but for my money I'd like them to actually have to deal with it expressly in that moment said instead of just implying it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

they do deal directly with it, multiple times over the last episode

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have come to the realization is I'd love an anime that had the "imagine spots" pretend action scenes of Chuunibyou where they're LARP'ing it up and everyone is humouring what's happening but it was the characters playing Dungeons and Dragons (or similar), so it cuts back and forth between them at the table talking and to their dungeoneering/adventuring. And you have it where like their struggles at school/college/relationships/real life somehow were paralleled in the game world and sorta like in the show Wishbone (or for other 90s kids and fans of Ryan Reynold's before it was cool, the Odyssesy), the resolution of their problems in the game provided lessons that helped resolve their conflicts in the real world and vice versa.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

homeless snail posted:

they do deal directly with it, multiple times over the last episode

Not to the degree I would have liked. I don't know what else to say here.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Raenir Salazar posted:

I have come to the realization is I'd love an anime that had the "imagine spots" pretend action scenes of Chuunibyou where they're LARP'ing it up and everyone is humouring what's happening but it was the characters playing Dungeons and Dragons (or similar), so it cuts back and forth between them at the table talking and to their dungeoneering/adventuring. And you have it where like their struggles at school/college/relationships/real life somehow were paralleled in the game world and sorta like in the show Wishbone (or for other 90s kids and fans of Ryan Reynold's before it was cool, the Odyssesy), the resolution of their problems in the game provided lessons that helped resolve their conflicts in the real world and vice versa.

Recovery of an mmo junkie comes vaguely close to that

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

Which is funny, because when I realized their action scenes were in fact not real I tuned out of Chuunibyou immediately. :shrug:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my one problem with chuunibyou... the existence of "jokes"!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Which is funny, because when I realized their action scenes were in fact not real I tuned out of Chuunibyou immediately. :shrug:
yeah that sounds about right

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

They're real if you believe in them.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Willo567 posted:

yeah, worrying about how the show ends now before it even airs was a bit much. i don't know, i just love the characters

don't be like me and worry about how the last season of symphogear would end for the entirety of the season

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chumbler posted:

They're real if you believe in them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/henemimi/status/1358891789281763328/photo/1

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Powerful Genga

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So having finally finished Yu Yu Hakusho for the first time I was curious, is Hunter X Hunter any good? If so, should I watch the 1999 anime, the 2011 anime, or just read the manga?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Larryb posted:

So having finally finished Yu Yu Hakusho for the first time I was curious, is Hunter X Hunter any good? If so, should I watch the 1999 anime, the 2011 anime, or just read the manga?

yes!!! 2011!!!!!!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I see the manga is still going, where should I start after finishing the anime? Also what’s the difference between the ‘99 and 2011 versions?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Not sure where the best place to bitch about this is but why the hell are all the reviews of Mushoku Tensei so positive!?

Like, seriously. In addition to all the stuff about isekai shows I normally hate the main character is gross as hell (highlights include perving on his nanny AND mom as a baby, stealing his teacher's underwear and hoarding/obsessing over it for years, bonding with his deadbeat dad over cheating on his wife and accidentally doing a sexual assault on his friend at one point), it can't think of any topic to explore that isn't it's incredibly generic magic system or how horny everybody is all the time, and five episodes in I'm still not sure what the actual plot of supposed to be. It wants to be a serious examination of the Hikikomori mindset but it never seriously interrogates the main character's worst flaws and instead just indulges the worst kind of casually misogynistic narcissism that sort of person is likely indulge in, all while having this weirdly pretentious prestige TV tone it in no way deserves.

Yet despite this every review I've seen is like "Oh poo poo son this is a game changer! BEST ANIME OF THE YEAR!" and my brain just can't process it. I get liking trash for horny reasons but people seem to think this is actually good or some reason. It's super weird. :psyduck:

(OK, I've gotten that out of my system. You may resume your business.)

Larryb posted:

Hunter X Hunter is The Best Manga and I highly recommend it. I can't really recommend the 99 series despite it having it's charms (it had to censor/rewrite several scenes to keep things from getting too violent) but the 2011 anime is very, very good and also covers way more material anyways.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

I see the manga is still going, where should I start after finishing the anime? Also what’s the difference between the ‘99 and 2011 versions?

Honestly after watching the anime I'd just read the manga from ch1. The art is incredible (at least the art released in the actual books vs SJ magazine, long story) and the plot is good enough to warrant a second read through. I should warn you though that the manga is on an eternal hiatus and only updates a few chapters every couple years (they are crazy good chapters though). Thankfully the World Tree epilogue that the 2011 anime ends on is a nice stopping point so you are free to just pretend the series ends there if you'd like.

As for the differences between the 99 and 11 anime? Not sure, it's been like a decade since I watched it. I mostly remember that the gore was heavily censored and several important scenes were rewritten. Also the animation is kind of poo poo compared to the 2011 anime.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hxh99 has filler that varies in quality in early arcs and it falls apart at greed island but i've seen plenty of stuff from it that looks nice animation-wise and its color palette kind of fits the tone of hxh better than how fullbright and colorful 2011 is. but, well. falls apart at greed island and doesn't cover two of the best arcs.

it also has both one of the best and one of the worst shounen ops ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TRs6cMZkQY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLGhqvAdQrs

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Yet despite this every review I've seen is like "Oh poo poo son this is a game changer! BEST ANIME OF THE YEAR!" and my brain just can't process it. I get liking trash for horny reasons but people seem to think this is actually good or some reason. It's super weird. :psyduck:

people like trashy fantasy OP, seemingly second only to battle shounen shows

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

readingatwork posted:

Not sure where the best place to bitch about this is but why the hell are all the reviews of Mushoku Tensei so positive!?

my understanding is that the source material is from back closer to the start of the current isekai wave so it's got a big fanbase who want to Make it Happen, even though we've already since gotten 5 years worth of newer series iterating on this one's formula to make it more palatable

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tales of Woe posted:

seems excessive to worry about how to react to a hypothetical ending of a show that hasn't aired yet. also the first season was so popular that i really doubt they'll write a hard ending into season 2 rather than angle to keep it going

i do agree with you on that aspect of gurren lagann though, it's the precursor to the whole Trigger Ending thing

You say that like Gainax Ending wasn't a meme for years previous

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also its exceedingly well animated which matters a lot, for a cartoon

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there will always be people championing some stupid seasonal for whatever reason like being 14, or mentally 14, or just having no taste

but to actually talk about Mushoku for a second it's one of the best looking shows in the season and characters like Rudy, Paul, and the new rude girl are large and create entertaining situations regardless of whether that comes from good or bad behavior (often both).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and frankly 'correct morals' are something the vast, vast majority of people are not looking for and do not care about when considering what media to consume and enjoy. this does not mean you cant criticize it on moral grounds but you have to realize you're in a minority

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Grouchio posted:

look at this unbeliever

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Chuunibyou was pretty mediocre IMO, and the best hallucination sections involved the big sister literally and metaphorically ladle-ing people into submission.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

im gonna champion all the seasonals because i am mentally and physically 14

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

and frankly 'correct morals' are something the vast, vast majority of people are not looking for and do not care about when considering what media to consume and enjoy. this does not mean you cant criticize it on moral grounds but you have to realize you're in a minority

Oh I completely understand that most people don't think about their media too deeply. Hell, I watch a ton of trash myself. It still bugs the poo poo out of me though and I think bears mentioning. Particularly the casual misogyny that's all over the drat place in anime but for some reason never seems to get properly called out within the community. :argh:

Fake edit: Oh! Also the weird way a lot of anime likes to elevate/nakedly profit off of horny shut-in nerds while refusing to examine the toxic aspects of that kind of fandom. There's a lot of parallels to how media deals with "the gamers" here in the US actually now that I think about it.

dogsicle posted:

there will always be people championing some stupid seasonal for whatever reason like being 14, or mentally 14, or just having no taste

but to actually talk about Mushoku for a second it's one of the best looking shows in the season and characters like Rudy, Paul, and the new rude girl are large and create entertaining situations regardless of whether that comes from good or bad behavior (often both).

I'll agree that the show is well produced at least. I find it very hard to like most of the characters though due to how much awful crap they tolerate.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Watch things other than shounen.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

chumbler posted:

sorry, you'll have to pry fantastical battle shonen, barely less exaggerated sports shonen, and shonen romcoms from my cold dead hands

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

chumbler posted:

corollary: exist in communities that can properly talk about and acknowledge issues and still also like things

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
gamers season 2: The Gamers

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
The Gamer got a season 1?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no. i am talking about gamers. i do not read the gamer. i have not thought about the gamer in the past five years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i hate that googling "gamers season 2" gives you pages and pages of clickbait sites that have Gamers Season 2 Details that say "there are currently no details or announcements for a gamers season 2" so i cannot confirm the veracity of your post... i want to watch gamers season 2 though...