Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

CVagts posted:

I also forget how it was received at the time, but it kinda irked me that Death of WCW paints it as this serious angle that was part of the downfall instead of just a goofy heel thing to do.

I honestly dont see how they take it seriously because commentary even talks about Sid's streak like it's bullshit. It's the entire point of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I haven't read the book, but I remember the big gripe at the time being that you'd be in the middle of some neat cruiserweight match and then here comes Sid for the DQ. Repeat 89,000 times

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

I haven't read the book, but I remember the big gripe at the time being that you'd be in the middle of some neat cruiserweight match and then here comes Sid for the DQ. Repeat 89,000 times

Ok now that is a genuine concern because he's coming out and hitting his move on people in random matches. I guess it doesn't seem like a big deal because literally nothing else matters on the show anyway.

Hm... guess that's actually a big problem.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

Yep. This is probably why I never liked Sid - didn't see any of his WWF work, so my main memory was him coming out to bury a good cruiser match, cutting his usual droning, incoherent promo, and leaving. To be fair, I was also too young to really "get" Sid's promos, but the cruiser matches were pretty consistently the best part of the show during that period.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I really liked bad guys from outside WCW coming in to target Goldberg. Sid and Bam Bam would have been great Monsters of the Week if WCW wasn't a shambles by early 1999.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1358823092601118729

holy poo poo I do not recall this at ALL

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wrestlers never appear on game shows anymore. I think the last one was Morrison on a season of Survivor.

Didn't Big Show win an episode of Weakest Link?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wrestlers never appear on game shows anymore. I think the last one was Morrison on a season of Survivor.

Almost certain he did, yeah. I think it was a bunch of WWE talent all on one show. And I remember Brian Kendrick showing up on Price is Right a while back, when he was on TNA's roster.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I remember there being at least two Weakest Link shows. The first one had a final of Triple H and Stephanie, which was very sussy, but it did give us this AMAZING exchange between Stephanie and Anne Robinson:

"So you're the Billion Dollar Princess?"
"Yes."
"Where did you get your money?"
"From my father."
"Who's your father?"
"Vince McMahon."
"Never heard of him."

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I remember there being at least two Weakest Link shows. The first one had a final of Triple H and Stephanie, which was very sussy, but it did give us this AMAZING exchange between Stephanie and Anne Robinson:

Weakest Link is a vote-off game, right? It has been a long time since I saw that episode, but I seem to recall Regal was doing very well, but the final three were HHH, Stephanie, and him, and I think HHH even joked he had to vote off Regal or he'd be sleeping on the couch. Anne was actually sympathetic to Regal, with him being the only contestant from the UK.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quiz show form game shows died off in favor of reality TV a while ago

anything left is more or less hanging around by institutional inertia or is just really an elaborate ad campaign

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Jeopardy still exists and both Who Wants to be a Millionaire and Weakest Link are back on prime time television.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Ox Baker was on Price is Right, it's on YouTube

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jeopardy still exists and both Who Wants to be a Millionaire and Weakest Link are back on prime time television.

I mean if you're wondering where the heck all the wrestlers are going, they're not going on reality shows because the same reasons that pro athletes don't do major angles like they do in the 90s. No one paying them wants them injured.

Morrison did Survivor but he was working mostly indies and freelancing for AAA/Impact at that point.

They're not going on quiz shows because prime time quiz shows have been dead for a decade + at this point. Yes Jeopardy exists but it a) is syndicated and not prime time, b) note what I said about institutional inertia, and c) even they stopped doing celebrity shows in the 2010s. Millionaire and Weakest Link both got originally canned nearly 20 years ago from prime time. I know Millionaire got a revival special or two since then, but it's never been a continuing series.

Maybe the plague year is the year that finally gets prime time quiz shows come back on a regular basis, but I kind of doubt it. And yes there are 2020 revivals but we'll see how long they last once COVID subsides and normal TV production resumes.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The Chase was revived this year on ABC, which originally started on GSN years ago

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
A lot of game shows have been revived lately, and actually have done quite well with COVID restrictions like Card Sharks.

And I misunderstood what you were going for OJ, thanks.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Quiz shows aren't as ubiquitous as they used to be on British TV, but I believe Pointless and The Chase are still going strong. Actually, I would be interested in seeing a wrestling version of The Chase with a wrestler as the chaser. William Regal or even someone like Lance Storm would be good picks.

Is Family Feud still on TV? I feel like that's the game show with the longest wrestling history. WWF did a few shows in the '90s when Ray Combs was host (I believe he was a legit wrestling fan?), and at least one with John O'Hurley in the late '00s. Even TNA did one with Steve Harvey, where it was quickly apparent that the only contestant Harvey was at all familiar with was Mick Foley.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

feel like i just read several of the same posts consecutively, similar to watching Hulk Hogan's WCW

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Nick Jr. Face posted:

The Chase was revived this year on ABC, which originally started on GSN years ago

Cha$e was better.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The New Day did Double Dare just a year or two ago game shows and wrestlers on game shows are big.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

My only real memory of Cha$e was Ricky Ortiz chasing one of the contestants around with his rally towel while laughing like a cartoon super villain

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

DJExile posted:

Almost certain he did, yeah. I think it was a bunch of WWE talent all on one show. And I remember Brian Kendrick showing up on Price is Right a while back, when he was on TNA's roster.

Kendrick on the Price is Right was great because it never came up at all that he was a pro wrestler. He was just a random dude who won a popcorn machine.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mearn posted:

Kendrick on the Price is Right was great because it never came up at all that he was a pro wrestler. He was just a random dude who won a popcorn machine.

Aw! Good for Spanky.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Nitro is just littered with music videos and live performances in 99. Can't we just watch wrestling?

EDIT
Why the gently caress is Rick Steiner still allowed to do promos? Fuuuuuuck.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 9, 2021

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I remember seeing a Ninja Warrior once where Tanahashi was on it. He did all right considering that Ninja Warrior's course wasn't designed with pro wrestlers in mind.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

TheKingslayer posted:

EDIT

You don't like him?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

TheKingslayer posted:

Nitro is just littered with music videos and live performances in 99. Can't we just watch wrestling?

EDIT

You really can't. Even when wrestling is on it's so bad your brain smooths over and refuses to retain any sensory input related to the match. At least it did when I was rewatching WCW 99-2000.
No real memories just a malingering and constant sense of disappointment and boredom.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The 9/27/99 Nitro has just started. God help us all.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

99 WCW is just such a slog, god bless you for trying to grind through it

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It's not completely miserable. A lot of this stuff I've only ever seen in clips or half remembered channel flipping and there are some great matches sandwiched in between. It's a lot better than watching the current day WWE product because eventually WCW will end.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Win Ben Stein's money was a total scam, 'cause if Ben was losing, they'd throw him questions about 1970s politics.

Ben Stein was Nixon's speech writer.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

The 9/27/99 Nitro has just started. God help us all.

best Nitro ending ever IMO

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Oh wow I'd totally forgotten the episode of Thunder that Nash is on commentary for.

But also one of my favorite gimmicks has debuted, Meng being an unstoppable monster that kills everyone.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Win Ben Stein's money was a total scam, 'cause if Ben was losing, they'd throw him questions about 1970s politics.

Ben Stein was Nixon's speech writer.
I never thought about it before, but yeah, that show seemed weirdly focused on political minutiae my parents are too young to have cared much about, particularly basic questions about the Vietnam War.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1359531351167426561

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I don't know why I'm grinning so much at this.

Besides Meng being awesome

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I just watched the episode where Scott Steiner thanks Buff Bagwell for giving him permission to beat up his mom, so Steiner returns the favour by allowing Bagwell to beat up his mom.

Some powerplant trainee in drag comes out and gets a beat down. Rick Steiner is apparently fooled by the disguise and runs in for the save until he realises he's been duped.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

TheKingslayer posted:

Oh wow I'd totally forgotten the episode of Thunder that Nash is on commentary for.

But also one of my favorite gimmicks has debuted, Meng being an unstoppable monster that kills everyone.

When he first showed up in WCW, off of his run as Haku, he wore a suit and sunglasses, and was basically invincible, right? I feel like they introduced him as part of the redneck stable, for some reason, but they kept him (ridiculously) strong for a feud with Sting, but then he became another guy until he left (while he was a titleholder!).

Being lumped together with Parker and Bunkhouse Buck was weird, but it led to working with Sting, so I guess it was fine? Dungeon of Doom made more sense for him, but after Sting, he didn't really do a whole lot.

I'm pretty sure Haku/Meng showed up in .. 93 or 94, and stayed until he jumped to the WWF in '99. That's a long time doing almost nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Red posted:

I'm pretty sure Haku/Meng showed up in .. 93 or 94, and stayed until he jumped to the WWF in '99. That's a long time doing almost nothing.
It was either '99 or 2000 when he returned to the WWF as an entrant in that year's Rumble, which was like a week after he was on a WCW PPV