Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, though the numbers were way lower until like the 90's.

in 1990, TV revenue combined was about $900m a year ($28m per team minus whatever chunk the league itself keeps for running crap)

Now, ESPN pays $1.1b per year just for MNF, totals are increasing to around $10b a year in the current contracts ($312m per team)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Kalli posted:

So yeah, I think it'd be super loving easy to make money despite fielding an rear end team for years on end.

2/3rds of the teams in the MLB have figured this out and are now garbage fires full of low-paid players. the rona coming around made it a little easier for them to commit full-force to it, I wonder if some of the similarly "analytically minded" NFL teams will hop on the bandwagon going forward

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Aye Doc posted:

2/3rds of the teams in the MLB have figured this out and are now garbage fires full of low-paid players. the rona coming around made it a little easier for them to commit full-force to it, I wonder if some of the similarly "analytically minded" NFL teams will hop on the bandwagon going forward

I mean the Cubs and Astros proved you can tank and then turn it around and win championships.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Magicpants posted:

so jack easterby purges the team, signs himself as the only player to a vet minimum deal, takes the players cash and the owners cash and books it

I think it's more likely the Easterby experience ends in a Jonestown situation.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The problem in the NFL is cash paid out has to be 90% of the salary cap over a 5 year period, so unless there's something crazy I don't know about, you might as well *try* to win, because you're not saving much off the biggest expense.

Maybe not try very hard, but like, hey draft a QB #1 and get whomever Mel Kiper says it the best weapon for him try.

Nov 6, 2002

Aye Doc posted:

The difference is for many of the NFL owners they bought the team to show off and have something to talk about with their other billionaire friends. It's not about making money.

Of course, the family owned franchises are a different story.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
MLB has no salary floor which means you get cheap poo poo owners like the Bob Nutting (Pirates) pretending to be poor and saying they can't afford to compete.

At the rate this is going however, it's going to change. They are more than likely headed to a strike because the owners aren't even pretending to try anymore and the CBA is almost up

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Which is worse to have as an owner, a super billionaire who treats the team as just an item in their portfolio, or a fail son?

Nov 6, 2002

Pretty sure the super billionaires have won Super Bowls more frequently than the fail sons.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yeah the hands off billionaires are usually capable of hiring some underling who knows what they’re doing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

"So back then you had the Pharisees, and they studied the Torah like this-" *squints and hunches over and pantomimes holding the yad like a nerd would*

"But you also had the Sadducees, and they studied the Torah like this" *leans back and pantomimes holding the yad like they dgaf*

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Which is worse to have as an owner, a super billionaire who treats the team as just an item in their portfolio, or a fail son?

The answer to your question lies in the thread you're posting in

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I'm outright scared to click play on any of those clips.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

I'm outright scared to click play on any of those clips.

Don’t be they’re hilarious in a train wreck sort of way.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean the Cubs and Astros* proved you can tank and then turn it around and win championships.

ftfy

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

With Cal McNair it's both. He's a failson that only cares enough about the Texans to ensure it keeps money rolling in that he can then use in charity fundraisers to keep his place in Houston high society.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lol this whole mess has Texans fans theorycrafting now that Deshaun signed his extension with the express intent of balling out this season to make himself attractive then forcing his way to a better team

https://www.battleredblog.com/2021/2/9/22274086/deshaun-watson-trade-speculation-a-new-theory

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Intruder posted:

lol this whole mess has Texans fans theorycrafting now that Deshaun signed his extension with the express intent of balling out this season to make himself attractive then forcing his way to a better team

https://www.battleredblog.com/2021/2/9/22274086/deshaun-watson-trade-speculation-a-new-theory

but why not just not sign and then get tagged and traded??

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Declan MacManus posted:

but why not just not sign and then get tagged and traded??

He would have much more control about where he goes with this route, since the extension had a no-trade clause allowing him to veto being traded somewhere he doesn't want to be.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he's a backstabber who we couldn't have kept even if we had done good :)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Imagine taking anyone coming from the Patriots organization seriously except Tom "I immediately got another title as soon as I got out" Brady lmao

Belichick has to have the worst coaching/executive tree in sports history, it goes back forever and it's almost all terrible except maybe...uh...Mike Vrabel, an ex player originally from another team?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

sean10mm posted:

Imagine taking anyone coming from the Patriots organization seriously except Tom "I immediately got another title as soon as I got out" Brady lmao

Belichick has to have the worst coaching/executive tree in sports history, it goes back forever and it's almost all terrible except maybe...uh...Mike Vrabel, an ex player originally from another team?

Flores seems decent?

Nov 6, 2002

sean10mm posted:

The Falcons were pretty successful under Dimitroff.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

sean10mm posted:

Don't forget Rob "pretended to retire to not get traded to the Detroit Lions" Gronkowski!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

sean10mm posted:

A bunch of the front office people have been good, for example Jason Licht completely built that Buccaneers team.

Licht was the defacto GM from 2009-2011 for the Pats, and you might remember those as pretty good drafts

Nov 6, 2002

AsInHowe posted:

Don't forget Rob "pretended to retire to not get traded to the Detroit Lions" Gronkowski!

Rob Gronkowski suffered countless serious injuries to his brain and body in service of winning your team multiple Super Bowls and you're salty he decided to leave the game for a year to get healthy and be in control of his own destiny? Get hosed.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Impossibly Angry Sphere

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Rob Gronkowski suffered countless serious injuries to his brain and body in service of winning your team multiple Super Bowls and you're salty he decided to leave the game for a year to get healthy and be in control of his own destiny? Get hosed.

These were two different years. Gronk was traded in 2018, faked retirement and played for the Pats. Then he retired for a year, and went to the Bucs.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Faking retirement to avoid Lions purgatory is imminently understandable

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Also Gronk didn’t fake his retirement. He was a broken man.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

One month ago:

quote:

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/16/jamey-rootes-leave-texans/

According to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, there is speculation that team president Jamey Rootes will not be back for his 21st season with the franchise.

Rootes has been the team’s only president since the 2002 season, and has been a key part in helping the Texans consistently rank as one of the top-10 most valuable NFL franchises.

The speculation on McClain’s part is corroborated by a recent Sports Illustrated report from Jenny Vrentas and Greg Bishop.

In the season’s final weeks, [Jack] Easterby’s relationships with the business side of the Texans’ operations also frayed. One person was surprised to see him sidling up to Rootes, the team president, at one of the later home games, despite a relationship that many of the same sources considered frosty. “There’s something going on with Jack and Jamey,” the person who saw them told a coworker. After the season, multiple sources heard that Rootes was considering resigning. That he did not, those same sources said, spoke to his desire to fight for an organization he had helped lead for two decades. (Rootes did not respond to multiple requests for comment.)

If there is any change with the Texans, or there is any negative outcome to be had, scrutiny immediately falls upon Easterby, the executive vice president of football operations. If Rootes leaves the Texans, Houston sports fans will be wondering if he is another casualty in one of Easterby’s power plays inside the organization.

Independent of Easterby, the departure of Rootes would be another significant shakeup to an organization that has undergone significant front office and coaching changes since founder Bob McNair’s death in November of 2018, and it will be another challenge chairman and CEO Cal McNair will have to expertly handle to set the Texans up for success in the 2020s.

Today:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

More blood for the blood god

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1359535263303806980?s=21

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Easterby notches another kill. Is there a countdown to him being named team president?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Was just coming to post that.

View: lol

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So how long until Easterby claims the ownership of the team for himself?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

He threatened to retire rather than go to Detroit when the Lions put together a package to trade for him which torpedoed the deal. Calm the gently caress down.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hunt11 posted:

In a shocking announcement, Cal McNair announces that he's adopted Jack Easterby. "The son I never had," he says with tears of happiness in his eyes.

Three months later, McNair is found dead in his favorite sitting chair. His will entrusts the Houston Texans football organization to James “Jack” Harold Easterby IV.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

SKULL.GIF posted:

In a shocking announcement, Cal McNair announces that he's adopted Jack Easterby. "The son I never had," he says with tears of happiness in his eyes.

Three months later, McNair is found dead in his favorite sitting chair. His will entrusts the Houston Texans football organization to James “Jack” Harold Easterby IV.

Ol’ Easterby wouldn’t wait that long. John Paul I only lasted 33 days :tinfoil:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

This is all just so baffling. Everyone sees this aw shucks rear end in a top hat coming from a mile away and no one can stop him because, like, I guess Cal thinks God sent Jack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Easterby will end up with power of attorney over McNair.