Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009
Nothing really against her but Terry Gross is a sadist who's really good at getting her guests to cry (because the sicko NPR audience wants to eat up the celeb's emotions and themselves have an Authentic Emotional Experience while listening).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I had to look her up and she looks like Xeni Jardin's mom

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

whenever millennialish people have told me they enjoy wait wait don’t tell and find it humorous......... i am at a loss for words.......... how

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 46 minutes!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

whenever people around my age (30ish) say they enjoy wait wait don’t tell and find it humorous......... i am at a loss for words.......... how

this reminds me of when liberal superhero James Comey was a special guest on the show

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

whenever millennialish people have told me they enjoy wait wait don’t tell and find it humorous......... i am at a loss for words.......... how

wwdtm crew also had their brains completely broken by trump. it was never great, but it became total poo poo after 2016

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Any good cum town eps recently

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Why do they call her Terry Gross when she's clearly Terry Snack?

terry grosspussy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

some plague rats posted:

Any good cum town eps recently

I've enjoyed the last several episodes of both patreon cumtown and freemium cumtown

but i will say it largely blurs together

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm devastated to hear about Ghost Stories for the End of the World's end (for now).

Hope things get less crazy, gh0stpinballa.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm devastated to hear about Ghost Stories for the End of the World's end (for now).

Wait what? Where did he say it's ending? That sucks, I enjoyed it a lot and there were some drat good episodes and I liked his voice

edit: oh I see, it's on the patreon

quote:

The pod is over. Finished. Kaput. For the time being, anyway.

I've thought about this a lot and I was hoping the Christmas hiatus would help me recharge, but unfortunately my heart's just not in this at the moment. Whatever impulse initially sparked the urge to make Ghost Stories... is pretty much gone, at least for now. A few concerns have been gnawing at me while putting together the last couple of episodes and I can't really ignore them anymore.

My main concern is that, in a lovely and bleak period of all our lives, I doubt I'm doing much good telling the roughly 1500 - 2000 people who listen to each episode that, actually, it's all even worse than you think. I feel like, even if in a small way, I am contributing to the paranoia and cynicism that I'm seeing a lot more these days on my side of the political spectrum. I'm not at all comfortable with that, to be quite honest. It is most definitely not cool.

My other concern is more grounded: There is simply too much reading, researching, writing and production work to fit around an already very stressful day job. I work from home, but this is not the gas it's made out to be, particularly with jobs like mine. My current routine is to finish a shift, grab a coffee, then head back to my laptop to continue work on the next episode. The show has started to feel like a second job. Honestly, doing this just isn't fun anymore.

This connects to my third reason for shelving Ghost Stories... indefinitely. Y'see, my partner is an ICU nurse, and as you can imagine she's seen some real poo poo over the last year. My own job is connected to healthcare and as a result we both work some crazy shifts. There's only a finite amount of time we get to spend with each other, y'know? And I feel like if the pandemic and lockdown has driven anything home to me, it's the importance of spending my time wisely. At the moment, burying myself in piles of research about Nazi drug rings and Joe Kennedy lobotomizing his children just feels so...abstract...compared to my day-to-day reality and where I need to be right now. These are big historical topics worthy of serious discussion, don't get me wrong, but another worry is that I will end up phoning in the show and putting out boring, half-arsed work that doesn't make you or I very happy.

I will bring GSFTEOTW back at some point, but it may be a ways off yet. I suspect my initial instinct back in the Italy phase of the show was the right one: "anthology" collections of episodes tied to a specific theme. We will finish off Amerikan Tabloid at some point, but I don't know when. Then, there will be a long period of radio silence until the next batch of Haunted Amerika episodes. Like the Hardcore History bloke does it.

I may still use this Patreon as a place to share bits of writing relevant to the themes of the show (movie reviews, news chat, whatever) from time to time, but I won't be putting out any episodes for a very, very long time.

I'm truly sorry if this comes as a disappointment or you feel conned in some way. Please delete your pledge as soon as you see this message. Thanks for your support these last couple of months, it really has meant a lot.

i get it though i would disagree it's contributing to paranoia and cynicism, that's more to do with *waves hand at everything burning down in the background*. charge your posting chi power. anyways thanks for some very good 13 episodes gh00nstpinballa. I think you're talented and a good speaker. If you want to try something a less stressful, maybe try using it as an outlet for creative output, sort of like Haunted Amerikka but fictional spin-off eps. but that could totally not even be in your wheelhouse or cup of tea at all

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:07 on Feb 9, 2021

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

terry grosspussy

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

hymn to a fallen one, get well soon gh0stpinballa

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
:rip: to ghost stories (for the time being at least). i'll always be a fan of what's been released, and will, of course, be interested if it ever starts up again. hope you and the mrs. stay safe out there, gh0stpinballa

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Paffgen posted:

Nothing really against her but Terry Gross is a sadist who's really good at getting her guests to cry (because the sicko NPR audience wants to eat up the celeb's emotions and themselves have an Authentic Emotional Experience while listening).

I remember her interviewing Trent Reznor and doing her absolute best to talk him back into his dark place. It was surreal seeing that behavior from the mellow NPR voice lady.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I remember her interviewing Trent Reznor and doing her absolute best to talk him back into his dark place. It was surreal seeing that behavior from the mellow NPR voice lady.

i always liked the tv reviewer david bianculli more, seemed a lot more affable

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

same

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

terry grosspussy

Yeah but the original German was "Großpussy," so...

e: lol

https://twitter.com/raaleh/status/1357821636393721868

Majorian has issued a correction as of 09:33 on Feb 9, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Majorian posted:

Yeah but the original German was "Großpussy," so...

e: lol

https://twitter.com/raaleh/status/1357821636393721868

"just" her twitter, her ghost continues to haunt letterboxd reviews

also lol at jack allison leaving twitter because of too much rage inducing poo poo and then immediately going to dnd and eating 6ers every few days culminating in a week long probe. respect for that level of love for the game (the game is yelling at libs).

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the real libs were goons all along
not me though, i touch computers but begrudgingly that means smth, it has to

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
godspeed, gh0stpinballa. hope you're okay

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

yeah same ghost; all the best

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
This is why Inhave never once looked at D&D

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

I refuse to delete my pledge, gh0stpinballa!!! the pod was really good and I will continue to have it on my patreon as long as I continue to think about it. thank you so much, and I hope you are well.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Oneiros posted:

wwdtm crew also had their brains completely broken by trump. it was never great, but it became total poo poo after 2016

wwdtm's purpose is like that multiple choice quiz your teacher would give in second grade after watching the 1950s educational film about the brave pilgrims. they didnt care about assessing it, its just to give you a sense of there being some purpose, reward, and superiority in having attentively absorbed the propaganda. except its just for the past week of morning edition and all things considered

but yeah it somehow managed to get so much worse after 2016. both in the constant tepid turmpo tier jokes, and just in general being much more nakedly classist

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jen Psaki was on Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me just the other week.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i say swears online posted:

yeah the bbc world service is a little more hard news and there's an entire hour or two devoted to africa each night but the topics they pick are usually either neoliberal or inconsequential

The World was nice for getting myself out of my bubble as a teen, it's pretty much the same show with an american accent

i used to like world service for about a week until I realized it was all bullshit human interest stuff yeah

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

cheers guys. i will be keeping the show up so old episodes are available anywhere you listen to podcasts. but yeah, time to recharge the posting chi and take a long rear end break from *waves hand at everything*. we will be back with more, i just don't know when. until then, a big thanks for the support.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

bbc world service sometimes has foreign policy reporting even more weirdly racist and imperialist than standard npr stuff.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

THS posted:

bbc world service sometimes has foreign policy reporting even more weirdly racist and imperialist than standard npr stuff.

this burmese small business owner is using the country's economic re-opening by building a hotel on recently-reclaimed beachfront property

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

AnEdgelord posted:

This is why Inhave never once looked at D&D

Don't go to D&D. It is a place horror.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Don't go to D&D. It is a place horror.

D&D was great back in the day in that it gave people in LF plenty to laugh at

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

gh0stpinballa posted:

cheers guys. i will be keeping the show up so old episodes are available anywhere you listen to podcasts. but yeah, time to recharge the posting chi and take a long rear end break from *waves hand at everything*. we will be back with more, i just don't know when. until then, a big thanks for the support.
👍

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Paffgen posted:

Fresh Air was probably the last NPR show I was able to tolerate listening to (before I stopped listening to NPR/APR/etc entirely), mainly because it was about random stuff with little relevance to politics most of the time.

edit: One of the most offensive NPR things to me is "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" for some reason that I'm not even sure I can articulate. Just something about it brings to mind the mental image of a social gathering at an anesthesiologist's $1M+ house.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 01:35 on Feb 10, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
covid murdered the Capitol Steps so it's not all bad.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

lol forgot about this

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

"wait wait don't gently caress me" is one of nick mullen's best parody concepts

THS
Sep 15, 2017

uber_stoat posted:

looked this up hoping you were being more literal

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

Fresh Air was probably the last NPR show I was able to tolerate listening to (before I stopped listening to NPR/APR/etc entirely), mainly because it was about random stuff with little relevance to politics most of the time.

edit: One of the most offensive NPR things to me is "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" for some reason that I'm not even sure I can articulate. Just something about it brings to mind the mental image of a social gathering at an anesthesiologist's $1M+ house.

its so bad lol.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jake flores won an episode of the moth or something a couple years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
matt amber and some guy wrote a movie article for jacobin

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/1359381587897573376

scrolled through it and decided not to read, everyone get your hot takes in