Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Slanderer posted:

lmao are you serious? It's a chute-fed bread slicer that will probably slice as fast as you can gravity feed it lol. A guy was manually feeding it to demonstrate it (although it's a bad demo because the thing wasn't adjusted right for that size bun). It wasn't particuarly dangerous to nudge a piece of bread into it, several inches from the blade (way safer than a band saw lol), as bread is not an entrapment hazard lmao

but nah you're right, let's replace the production lines used to make all of the bread we buy (directly or indirectly) with a few guys with knives that dont cut as cleanly or as smoothly lol

What if there was a medium between a few guys with knives and a machine that seems designed to tear hands off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Slanderer posted:

lmao are you serious? It's a chute-fed bread slicer that will probably slice as fast as you can gravity feed it lol. A guy was manually feeding it to demonstrate it (although it's a bad demo because the thing wasn't adjusted right for that size bun). It wasn't particuarly dangerous to nudge a piece of bread into it, several inches from the blade (way safer than a band saw lol), as bread is not an entrapment hazard lmao

but nah you're right, let's replace the production lines used to make all of the bread we buy (directly or indirectly) with a few guys with knives that dont cut as cleanly or as smoothly lol

You know no one's hands ever get anywhere near the production lines, right?

But feel free to keep comparing apples to oranges.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mds2 posted:

Post the link.

It's a series.

The very first here had me guessing right until the end. There was literally no way I could have expected it to be as stupid as it was. And they only get 'better' as you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEEHvHi1_tY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m0P3dP0hc0

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 9, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/pLkogXw.gifv

:catstare:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

mobby_6kl posted:

No, YouTube, I don't think so.

God, I was scared enough today after having to remove the guard on a 4 inch grinder to get in to a tight spot.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Missing a cat on the preflight of your open-frame ultralight is a bad look.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, it looks like it would be really obvious that there is something inside the wing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, that sort of oversight can lead to a cat-astrophic failure.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

jemand posted:

Pretty high, but there are small functional cannons that I have seen fired for such occasions as "oh, here is a crowd who might enjoy the novelty of this small cannon I purchased", with no added color or gender bullshit.

I live near a lake, and there's apparently a guy out here who has a pontoon boat that he's decked out to look like a pirate ship. Wooden sides with a couple of those little cannons on the broadside, a mast with a Jolly Roger, figurehead, that kind of thing. I was swimming with my ~4 year old nephew at the lake one day when he passed by us. He apparently noticed my nephew absolutely losing his poo poo over seeing a real live pirate ship, because he fired off the broadside cannons and waved a cutlass at us. I don't think I've ever seen a happier kid in my life than my nephew was that day, he talked about it for weeks afterwards.

It's about the only real use I've seen for a small cannon, but I do have to admit that it looked fun as hell.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, it looks like it would be really obvious that there is something inside the wing.

Maybe there was also a cat in the starboard wing and he thought that's just how that plane was built.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

What if there was a medium between a few guys with knives and a machine that seems designed to tear hands off?

You mean like that exact machine, which is designed to be chute fed and not have hands anywhere near it?

Memento posted:

You know no one's hands ever get anywhere near the production lines, right?

But feel free to keep comparing apples to oranges.

?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wesleywillis posted:

God, I was scared enough today after having to remove the guard on a 4 inch grinder to get in to a tight spot.

I removed the guard for the first time because the purple scrubbie disc installed for paint stripping was hitting it.

Out of sight = out of mind, until my index finger suddenly got really hot.

Fear is good. Don't choke up on your unshielded grinder, kids!

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's a series.

The very first here had me guessing right until the end. There was literally no way I could have expected it to be as stupid as it was. And they only get 'better' as you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEEHvHi1_tY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m0P3dP0hc0
Is this one of those joke channels? All this stuff is scary as hell.

Took awhile for me to figure out he was making a router in the last one.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/M2zLHAQ.gifv

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

No posting homegrown

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

You were talking about "the productions lines that make all of the bread we buy".

They don't ever have hands anywhere near them. Dough is kneaded and baked, and the loaves are turned out of their pans, sliced, wrapped and packed into trays without a single hand involved in the process.

My original issue was with the bagel decapitator, that started this whole discussion.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mochi?

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://i.imgur.com/Tx2wyyc.mp4

I guess this is not OSHA's jurisdiction, but someone should be stopping this

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

I removed the guard for the first time because the purple scrubbie disc installed for paint stripping was hitting it.

Out of sight = out of mind, until my index finger suddenly got really hot.

Fear is good. Don't choke up on your unshielded grinder, kids!

Yeah, don't mess with grinders, like don't hold something you're using a cup brush on close to your chest.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Sagebrush posted:

Most people die when they are drowned regardless of the temperature.

The few people who have survived hypoxia by being extremely cold are rare exceptions.
My layman's understanding is that by being extremely cold the brain damage from being without oxygen for an extended period of time can be lessened, but it still requires a lot of luck to be able to revive someone in that state on top of finding them quickly enough, and obviously hypothermia carries it's own set of problems.

I've heard in some extremely specific cases cooling someone's core body temperature can be done in a clinical setting to try and counter hypoxia? Like after a cardiac arrest. But that's also carefully monitored in a clinical setting, not falling through the frozen shell on top of a lake and hoping for the best.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Memento posted:

You were talking about "the productions lines that make all of the bread we buy".

They don't ever have hands anywhere near them. Dough is kneaded and baked, and the loaves are turned out of their pans, sliced, wrapped and packed into trays without a single hand involved in the process.

My original issue was with the bagel decapitator, that started this whole discussion.

This post, talking about the bun slicer, not the bagel customer amusement display,

Dip Viscous posted:

I'm amazed that a company managed to make a bread slicing machine that looks that wildly dangerous while still being clearly slower than just using a knife.

purports replacing industrial slicing machines with "just using a knife"

The real question is how many people with knives do you need to slice 63 loaves a minute?
Content warning: dangerous machines like a conveyor belt that just feeds anything on it right into an oven! The industrial mixer will extrude anything in the hopper out the bottom, watch out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UjUWfwWAC4&t=274s

And how many orders of magnitude more expensive that is than a machine designed to do only this thing.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Ror posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Tx2wyyc.mp4

I guess this is not OSHA's jurisdiction, but someone should be stopping this

this is somehow worse than the actual Ito manga

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
https://i.imgur.com/F0yPR1W.mp4

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

This post, talking about the bun slicer, not the bagel customer amusement display,

purports replacing industrial slicing machines with "just using a knife"

The real question is how many people with knives do you need to slice 63 loaves a minute?
Content warning: dangerous machines like a conveyor belt that just feeds anything on it right into an oven! The industrial mixer will extrude anything in the hopper out the bottom, watch out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UjUWfwWAC4&t=274s

And how many orders of magnitude more expensive that is than a machine designed to do only this thing.

The key difference is that this is a video of a machine that makes sense, and also doesn't involve a person sticking their hand into it.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
im genuinely convinced you lack the capacity for abstract thought and possibly imagination

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

In case anyone was worried, the cat made it down safely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_8mdH20qTQ

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Memento posted:

As as aside: this is true for commercial brands, but isn't true for local bakeries (which have non-production line versions of loaf slicers), grocery store bakeries (which mostly bake frozen parbaked loaves, but still slice them) and smaller local bread suppliers (the people who do daily deliveries to restaurants). Those processes have more human involvement, because they can't setup dedicated lines for each item, and need more flexibility.

Doesn't change the fact that the video in quesiton was a demonstration of how a machine worked when it was hand fed a bun instead of gravity feeding it lol

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Slanderer posted:

this is true for commercial brands, but isn't true for local bakeries

Slanderer posted:

let's replace the production lines used to make all of the bread we buy

keep movin' those goalposts buddy

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Memento posted:

keep movin' those goalposts buddy

I'm not the moron who suggested "a knife is faster", I'm not sure what you're arguing lmao

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cojawfee posted:

I've always assumed the cat jumped up there in a moment between inspection and takeoff when no one was looking. Preflight checklists can't account for items that spontaneously move themselves

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Omg y'all. Shut the gently caress up about bread slicers. This is the dumbest, most boring goddamn derail.

Here's a nice institutional video about steel production in the 40s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh8Y5ys_Kq8

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Anyway you slice it, I think we’ve gotta move on

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

It's getting a bit stale, but tomorrow will be butter.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah my bad, I'll definitely be leaven it alone for now.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Slanderer posted:

im genuinely convinced you lack the capacity for abstract thought and possibly imagination

this is a goon you are talking about remember

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Stop loading around and post some OSHA poo poo.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Anyway you slice it, I think we’ve gotta move on

I'm gonna knead some proof that breadchat is over.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

mobby_6kl posted:

Stop loading around and post some OSHA poo poo.

Swing and a miss, get a new batter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Bread OSHA: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1443939.stm

quote:

David Mayes, 47, of Rushey Mead, Leicester, and Ian Erickson, 43, an engineer from Walsall, West Midlands, died after maintenance on the bread oven went wrong at Harvestime's plant in Thurmaston Boulevard, Leicester in May 1998.
The men were sent into the oven only two hours after it had been switched off. They climbed in through the bottom and onto a conveyor used to take the dough through the giant machine. All they were wearing for protection were all-in-one suits.
Anthony Barker QC, prosecuting, said: "The oven was normally set to run at 260C. It had only been turned off for two hours and the centre was 100C when these two men went inside. "No-one, it seemed, looked at the temperature gauge at the side of the oven which would have indicated it wasn't safe to go in."
Mr Erickson, had taken a radio with him and after a few minutes inside sent a panicky message saying it was too hot.
"They were trapped. There was no system of reversing the conveyor and no system of getting them out of the oven," said Mr Barker.
It took 17 minutes - the time it took for the conveyor to pass through the oven - before other workers could help the men. Mr Erickson was brought out in "a state of collapse" and had extensive burns.
Mr Mayes was trapped inside the oven and had to be freed by the fire service. He had 80% burns to his body and died at the scene.