Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Brut posted:

So what's the deal with Stiverne? Way past his prime and hanging on by his toughness? The Bob Sapp of boxing? What do we got here, assume I don't know anything about anything, because that's probably true.

I'm going to write the full history of this, because I want to.

Stiverne is one of the many dudes in the confusing web of "heavyweights who used to be somewhat legit but now are just pretending to be boxers so they can be used in shady promotional machinations" and like most of these guys, he works with Don King.

Stiverne pushed his way through the D & C levels of heavyweight boxing until he could force his way into a mandatory position with the wbc to fight vitali klitschko. It's important to understand that a lot of the way these sanctioning bodies operate is very corrupt, to the point that even when they're following all their stated rules, they're still scooping money from fighters who want to be ranked, which will bias this list to promoters with deep pockets. When Don King is involved its pretty reasonable to assume he's gone the extra step and outright bribed somebody though. Anyway Stiverne never fought Vitali, but when Vitali retired he fought fan favourite B-level boxer Chris Arreola in back to back fights, winning both fights and the vacant title. These two fights (in 2013 and 2014) are the peak of his career and his only real achievements in the sport. At this time he was a legit enough guy in the division, but you have to understand that everything he did before this was just for positioning, he'd fight some guy he could KO early and keep the momentum for the ranking bodies to move him up. Wilder took the belt from him in his last real fight. He went the distance, which was the first time somebody did that against Wilder, but he got roughed up bad man. I don't know if he like, just stopped training after this, but it feels like it

There's enough money in heavyweight, and few enough guys with the size and skills to actually compete at the elite end of the sport that there's a place for guys like this who are big and have some measure of accomplishment. Promoters like Don King collect these fighters like pokemon, so that they can try to build one up enough that they can get a slice of the championship money pie. So even though Stiverne's career was done, he'd still keep turning up in weird positions.

Wilder would go on to defend his title against a string of uninspiring challengers, but it seemed like he'd have a real challenge coming against Povetkin, before Povetkin failed a drug test. Stiverne somehow worked his way into mandatory position at this time and then pushed to fight. Wilder's team paid him money to step aside and let him fight his preferred challenger: Luis Ortiz. It's worth noting this is a big part of the mandatory grift, accepting step aside money from a champion who could obviously beat you but wants a more marketable fight. Anyway, Stiverne was set to match up with Povetkin, with the winner being the mandatory, while Wilder was set to fight Ortiz and all was good. Stiverne failed a drug test, but in a way that the sanctioning body decided wasn't that big of a deal for some reason ($$), then Povetkin failed a drug test in an even bigger way, so the fight was called off. (side note that isn't really relevant but is quite funny, Povetkin fought anyway, as the russian sanctioners dgaf about him being drugged up. They had 20 hours to find a replacement opponent and the lucky man, euro heavyweight staple Johann Duhaupas, entered the ring in running shoes) At the same time, the Wilder-Ortiz fight fell apart, as Ortiz also tested positive for performance enhancers. Wilder had paid Stiverne so he could face Ortiz, but now that the Ortiz fight broke down the WBC let Stiverne push his mandatory again, so Wilder had to fight Stiverne even though he already paid him to step aside. That's boxing baby.

Anyway, all of this is through maneuvering outside the ring. There's no earthly reason that Stiverne should have been a mandatory to Wilder. At this point in time Stiverne had not fought in two years, when he was knocked down by professional opponent Derrick Rossy and that was the only fight he had since the original Wilder fight. Don King ratfucked his way into a heavyweight matchup that makes no sense while also getting paid money to not have the fight they're fighting while also getting them to ignore a failed drug test, it's like the grand slam of corruption. Stiverne was hopelessly outmatched against Wilder, and Wilder was extremely pissed off.

That was 3 years ago though. Stiverne was already damaged goods at that point, but by keeping him out of the ring they could maintain the illusion of him as a fighter. After that beating by Wilder, they couldn't even pretend. But when you sign a contract with Don King he owns your soul. So as a Don King asset, they'd figure out a way to use him again. Of course, he can't actually be built up to fight a real heavyweight, but now he could be used to help build up another Don King illusion.

Don King has a few other guys like this going on. Christopher Lovejoy was a good example recently. Lovejoy is an american heavyweight who started fighting professionally at age 32. 5 years later, he has 19 pro wins, every single one of them being knockout wins in Tijuana. Only one of his opponents had a winning record, and it was in the 90s. 8 of his opponents had never won a fight before. His record is a joke, and I'm being pretty generous in believing these fights actually happened and were legitimate contests. This is the most extreme version of the thing I was talking about earlier, you build a long record of phantom fights in Mexican barrooms until some more legitimate heavyweight looking for an easy win selects you to show up and collect a cheque. And hey you know, if you've been spending the years actually training in boxing you might even win. It just takes one punch at heavyweight, and if a fighter has to stoop so low they pick you for a challenger they might be something of an illusion as well. Lovejoy's day came when Eddie Hearn reached out and tried to book him in a televised fight against Dave Allen, a lacklustre but very popular fighter in the UK. Lovejoy packed his bags and immediately left for England, but just before the fight happens Don King calls in and shuts everything down, saying that he actually has Lovejoy under contract. This caught everybody by surprise, even Lovejoy, who assumed his contract was void after Don King didn't promote any fights for him, but that's what happens when you sign a Don King contract baby. (I think my favourite part of this is the reveal that Lovejoy's definitely real fights against 50 year old Mexicans weren't actually organized by Don King, he was doing it himself) Don King explained to Hearn that Lovejoy was supposed to fight another one of his heavyweights: Trevor Bryan. This wasn't actually in the works at all, but I guess it was a nice thought that King had in between meltdowns about trump losing the election. Hearn offered to schedule Bryan a spot on one of his upcoming televised cards if he'd let Lovejoy fight Allen. AFAIK this is a good deal btw, it basically accomplishes everything King wants in building up Bryan towards a potential money fight with a real heavyweight. Obviously King rejects this offer, deciding that his own machinations will be more productive.

So that's Stiverne and Bryan, who ended up fighting each other last night. But, if you recall the very legit poster for last night's event you'll notice that fight isn't even on the menu:

I guess "Fighters subject to change" is fair warning, although quite literally none of the three advertised fights ended up happening.

Stiverne was originally just being brought in to fight Lovejoy, and tbh I don't even understand the purpose of this one. I've never seen Lovejoy fight. I don't think anybody has. Maybe he's got something, but I think its a fair assumption that even a completely out of shape Stiverne would give him the business. You might be surprised that Lovejoy was so immediately willing to work with King after King scrapped his last fight. Turns out Lovejoy was too, declining the fight until the money was his account. And there's legitimate reason for him to think King might not have the money as he spent $2mil to even get this event to happen. That was almost a year ago, and yesterday was the deadline King had to schedule the event to retain his promotional rights to the fight.

King isn't the only one in the business of useless heavyweights, another guy in promotional hell Manuel Charr, who managed to jimmy his way into the WBA regular championship position. If you're unfamiliar with the concept of "regular champion", its basically the WBA's secondary belt, with the "super champion" being the real title. Look, I mentioned that sanctioning bodies are ridiculously corrupt, and the WBA has been the worst for a while, they also have an excessive number of "interim champions" and sometimes just make up random belts to get money off of various fights. That's boxing for you. Well Charr's been the champion without a single defence since 2017, occaisonally teasing bouts with another professional nonfighter in Fres Oquendo. Look I'm not 100% on who is loving over who when it comes Charr's promotional situation, but its a mess in like 3 different ways regardless. Anyway, I guess somebody put their foot down and forced King to actually follow up on his threat of organizing Bryan vs Charr instead of going on about Bryan vs Lovejoy. So he threw this together.

This isn't a card made with the intention of producing a good fight. Or like, even making money. You'd normally do this sort of thing in front of a crowd, but you can't now, so they streamed it and charged people money to watch it, much like a real boxing event would do. I'd suspect that the majority of people who paid for this card are like, boxing journalists or something. I legitimately doubt it sold even 1000 buys. Don King probably wasn't even really trying to get Charr to fight. This was all about moving the WBA regular title to one of his fighters. This card was an obvious mess from the start. Lovejoy pulled out. I don't think Beibut Shumenov (who is most famous for losing his championship to a 49 year old Bernard Hopkins) even tried to show up. If he did, it technically would have been for a defence of the WBA cruiserweight regular title that he had somehow bumbled into. I suspect King was banking on Charr having visa issues or something, or maybe they already agreed that he would just stay in Germany, but either way he sort of just sat in Germany and waited, apparently without enough time to get a visa. The WBA, being a sane and normal organization, decided that Charr was no longer champion and that he'd be made champion in recess, and get a shot at fighting the winner by May.

But you know, in order for all these schemes to actually come together and move the belt from Charr to Bryan and retain the promotional rights to fight Charr in May, there had to be some event. You had to have some cameras, some fights, etc. It's the boxing equivalent of the four seasons landscaping press conference. Something had to happen. They decided to show some old King promoted fights in addition to the one bout they had on the main card. A couple weeks before the fight the venue didn't even know anything was happening. So Stiverne maybe knew he was fighting somebody a couple of weeks ago and was officially slotted in against Bryan like a day before the fight. He was out of shape, his last real gig was as an illusion of a boxer 3 years ago and now he's not even that. I doubt he did any significant training for the fight and when he was in the ring pretty much only threw overhand rights. Despite that he actually was able to hit Bryan with them seemingly at will a few times throughout. I guess we'll see how he does against Manuel Charr, provided Fres Oquendo's legal battle doesn't stop that.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Brut posted:

So what's the deal with Stiverne? Way past his prime and hanging on by his toughness? The Bob Sapp of boxing? What do we got here, assume I don't know anything about anything, because that's probably true.

Stiverne's prime was basically in the middle part of last decade right when the Klitschko's were winding down and while Fury, AJ and Wilder were not yet at the top yet. He beat Chris Arreola for the WBC belt that Vitali Klitschko vacated in 2014 when he retired and that was the peak for him. He fought Wilder in January 2015 and at the time was really considered to the first acid test for Wilder but the fight was kind of lovely and it felt pretty clear that the division was going to pass him by. The fact that he is a Don King fighter meant it was near impossible for him to get fights. He would go on to a decision win over journeyman Derric Rossy later in 2015 and didn't fight for 2 years until he fought a rematch with Wilder in November 2017 where he was demolished in less than 1 round. Since then he's been fed to Joe Joyce (February 2019) and now Trevor 'loving' Bryan.

EDIT: I think I'll just Homer Simpson back into these bushes after seeing Logan's Jon Bois esque masterpiece above me.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 30, 2021

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I forgot about the Joyce fight admittedly

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I see on the poster he's going by his legal name Mahmoud; when did he pick up the name Manuel?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

kimbo305 posted:

I see on the poster he's going by his legal name Mahmoud; when did he pick up the name Manuel?

It's the equivalent of someone coming to North America and Anglicizing their name. Pretty common actually, for example Arthur Abraham's real name is Avetik Abrahamyan as he is actually Armerian. Charr is of Syrian descent but basically lived his whole life in Germany

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Jump King posted:

I'm going to write the full history of this, because I want to.

Stiverne is one of the many dudes in the confusing web of "heavyweights who used to be somewhat legit but now are just pretending to be boxers so they can be used in shady promotional machinations" and like most of these guys, he works with Don King.

Stiverne pushed his way through the D & C levels of heavyweight boxing until he could force his way into a mandatory position with the wbc to fight vitali klitschko. It's important to understand that a lot of the way these sanctioning bodies operate is very corrupt, to the point that even when they're following all their stated rules, they're still scooping money from fighters who want to be ranked, which will bias this list to promoters with deep pockets. When Don King is involved its pretty reasonable to assume he's gone the extra step and outright bribed somebody though. Anyway Stiverne never fought Vitali, but when Vitali retired he fought fan favourite B-level boxer Chris Arreola in back to back fights, winning both fights and the vacant title. These two fights (in 2013 and 2014) are the peak of his career and his only real achievements in the sport. At this time he was a legit enough guy in the division, but you have to understand that everything he did before this was just for positioning, he'd fight some guy he could KO early and keep the momentum for the ranking bodies to move him up. Wilder took the belt from him in his last real fight. He went the distance, which was the first time somebody did that against Wilder, but he got roughed up bad man. I don't know if he like, just stopped training after this, but it feels like it

There's enough money in heavyweight, and few enough guys with the size and skills to actually compete at the elite end of the sport that there's a place for guys like this who are big and have some measure of accomplishment. Promoters like Don King collect these fighters like pokemon, so that they can try to build one up enough that they can get a slice of the championship money pie. So even though Stiverne's career was done, he'd still keep turning up in weird positions.

Wilder would go on to defend his title against a string of uninspiring challengers, but it seemed like he'd have a real challenge coming against Povetkin, before Povetkin failed a drug test. Stiverne somehow worked his way into mandatory position at this time and then pushed to fight. Wilder's team paid him money to step aside and let him fight his preferred challenger: Luis Ortiz. It's worth noting this is a big part of the mandatory grift, accepting step aside money from a champion who could obviously beat you but wants a more marketable fight. Anyway, Stiverne was set to match up with Povetkin, with the winner being the mandatory, while Wilder was set to fight Ortiz and all was good. Stiverne failed a drug test, but in a way that the sanctioning body decided wasn't that big of a deal for some reason ($$), then Povetkin failed a drug test in an even bigger way, so the fight was called off. (side note that isn't really relevant but is quite funny, Povetkin fought anyway, as the russian sanctioners dgaf about him being drugged up. They had 20 hours to find a replacement opponent and the lucky man, euro heavyweight staple Johann Duhaupas, entered the ring in running shoes) At the same time, the Wilder-Ortiz fight fell apart, as Ortiz also tested positive for performance enhancers. Wilder had paid Stiverne so he could face Ortiz, but now that the Ortiz fight broke down the WBC let Stiverne push his mandatory again, so Wilder had to fight Stiverne even though he already paid him to step aside. That's boxing baby.

Anyway, all of this is through maneuvering outside the ring. There's no earthly reason that Stiverne should have been a mandatory to Wilder. At this point in time Stiverne had not fought in two years, when he was knocked down by professional opponent Derrick Rossy and that was the only fight he had since the original Wilder fight. Don King ratfucked his way into a heavyweight matchup that makes no sense while also getting paid money to not have the fight they're fighting while also getting them to ignore a failed drug test, it's like the grand slam of corruption. Stiverne was hopelessly outmatched against Wilder, and Wilder was extremely pissed off.

That was 3 years ago though. Stiverne was already damaged goods at that point, but by keeping him out of the ring they could maintain the illusion of him as a fighter. After that beating by Wilder, they couldn't even pretend. But when you sign a contract with Don King he owns your soul. So as a Don King asset, they'd figure out a way to use him again. Of course, he can't actually be built up to fight a real heavyweight, but now he could be used to help build up another Don King illusion.

Don King has a few other guys like this going on. Christopher Lovejoy was a good example recently. Lovejoy is an american heavyweight who started fighting professionally at age 32. 5 years later, he has 19 pro wins, every single one of them being knockout wins in Tijuana. Only one of his opponents had a winning record, and it was in the 90s. 8 of his opponents had never won a fight before. His record is a joke, and I'm being pretty generous in believing these fights actually happened and were legitimate contests. This is the most extreme version of the thing I was talking about earlier, you build a long record of phantom fights in Mexican barrooms until some more legitimate heavyweight looking for an easy win selects you to show up and collect a cheque. And hey you know, if you've been spending the years actually training in boxing you might even win. It just takes one punch at heavyweight, and if a fighter has to stoop so low they pick you for a challenger they might be something of an illusion as well. Lovejoy's day came when Eddie Hearn reached out and tried to book him in a televised fight against Dave Allen, a lacklustre but very popular fighter in the UK. Lovejoy packed his bags and immediately left for England, but just before the fight happens Don King calls in and shuts everything down, saying that he actually has Lovejoy under contract. This caught everybody by surprise, even Lovejoy, who assumed his contract was void after Don King didn't promote any fights for him, but that's what happens when you sign a Don King contract baby. (I think my favourite part of this is the reveal that Lovejoy's definitely real fights against 50 year old Mexicans weren't actually organized by Don King, he was doing it himself) Don King explained to Hearn that Lovejoy was supposed to fight another one of his heavyweights: Trevor Bryan. This wasn't actually in the works at all, but I guess it was a nice thought that King had in between meltdowns about trump losing the election. Hearn offered to schedule Bryan a spot on one of his upcoming televised cards if he'd let Lovejoy fight Allen. AFAIK this is a good deal btw, it basically accomplishes everything King wants in building up Bryan towards a potential money fight with a real heavyweight. Obviously King rejects this offer, deciding that his own machinations will be more productive.

So that's Stiverne and Bryan, who ended up fighting each other last night. But, if you recall the very legit poster for last night's event you'll notice that fight isn't even on the menu:

I guess "Fighters subject to change" is fair warning, although quite literally none of the three advertised fights ended up happening.

Stiverne was originally just being brought in to fight Lovejoy, and tbh I don't even understand the purpose of this one. I've never seen Lovejoy fight. I don't think anybody has. Maybe he's got something, but I think its a fair assumption that even a completely out of shape Stiverne would give him the business. You might be surprised that Lovejoy was so immediately willing to work with King after King scrapped his last fight. Turns out Lovejoy was too, declining the fight until the money was his account. And there's legitimate reason for him to think King might not have the money as he spent $2mil to even get this event to happen. That was almost a year ago, and yesterday was the deadline King had to schedule the event to retain his promotional rights to the fight.

King isn't the only one in the business of useless heavyweights, another guy in promotional hell Manuel Charr, who managed to jimmy his way into the WBA regular championship position. If you're unfamiliar with the concept of "regular champion", its basically the WBA's secondary belt, with the "super champion" being the real title. Look, I mentioned that sanctioning bodies are ridiculously corrupt, and the WBA has been the worst for a while, they also have an excessive number of "interim champions" and sometimes just make up random belts to get money off of various fights. That's boxing for you. Well Charr's been the champion without a single defence since 2017, occaisonally teasing bouts with another professional nonfighter in Fres Oquendo. Look I'm not 100% on who is loving over who when it comes Charr's promotional situation, but its a mess in like 3 different ways regardless. Anyway, I guess somebody put their foot down and forced King to actually follow up on his threat of organizing Bryan vs Charr instead of going on about Bryan vs Lovejoy. So he threw this together.

This isn't a card made with the intention of producing a good fight. Or like, even making money. You'd normally do this sort of thing in front of a crowd, but you can't now, so they streamed it and charged people money to watch it, much like a real boxing event would do. I'd suspect that the majority of people who paid for this card are like, boxing journalists or something. I legitimately doubt it sold even 1000 buys. Don King probably wasn't even really trying to get Charr to fight. This was all about moving the WBA regular title to one of his fighters. This card was an obvious mess from the start. Lovejoy pulled out. I don't think Beibut Shumenov (who is most famous for losing his championship to a 49 year old Bernard Hopkins) even tried to show up. If he did, it technically would have been for a defence of the WBA cruiserweight regular title that he had somehow bumbled into. I suspect King was banking on Charr having visa issues or something, or maybe they already agreed that he would just stay in Germany, but either way he sort of just sat in Germany and waited, apparently without enough time to get a visa. The WBA, being a sane and normal organization, decided that Charr was no longer champion and that he'd be made champion in recess, and get a shot at fighting the winner by May.

But you know, in order for all these schemes to actually come together and move the belt from Charr to Bryan and retain the promotional rights to fight Charr in May, there had to be some event. You had to have some cameras, some fights, etc. It's the boxing equivalent of the four seasons landscaping press conference. Something had to happen. They decided to show some old King promoted fights in addition to the one bout they had on the main card. A couple weeks before the fight the venue didn't even know anything was happening. So Stiverne maybe knew he was fighting somebody a couple of weeks ago and was officially slotted in against Bryan like a day before the fight. He was out of shape, his last real gig was as an illusion of a boxer 3 years ago and now he's not even that. I doubt he did any significant training for the fight and when he was in the ring pretty much only threw overhand rights. Despite that he actually was able to hit Bryan with them seemingly at will a few times throughout. I guess we'll see how he does against Manuel Charr, provided Fres Oquendo's legal battle doesn't stop that.

also, you have to keep in mind that Stiverne is one of the few fighters Don King actually promotes anymore. this article was written eight years ago about his decline, and honestly everything still rings true: https://grantland.com/features/don-king-faces-end-career/. because everybody's read or watched Only In America or heard the stories Larry Holmes/Mike Tyson/etc tell about how horrible he is to fighters, he's been sidelined as Al Haymon, the Brits, Lou diBella, Oscar, and especially his old rival Bob Arum have survived and thrived. his stable's pretty much down to Stiverne, Vanes Martirosyan, and the shambling ghost of Fres Oquendo. (also in the article: note him wearing an Obama button in the first photo, and contrast this with his Trump support today.)

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Speaking of the WBA's shenanigans, Manny Pacquiao was designated welterweight 'champion in recess' and Yordenis Ugas elevated to 'super' champion. This seems to clear the path for Errol Spence-Ugas at some point in a few months which I fear would be a pretty boring fight but good for Ugas for getting paid.

EDIT: Also seems a sign that Manny Pacquiao - Ryan Garcia is closer to being done. Garcia has been insisting it will not be an exhibition.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 30, 2021

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The SituAsian posted:

Speaking of the WBA's shenanigans, Manny Pacquiao was designated welterweight 'champion in recess' and Yordenis Ugas elevated to 'super' champion. This seems to clear the path for Errol Spence-Ugas at some point in a few months which I fear would be a pretty boring fight but good for Ugas for getting paid.

EDIT: Also seems a sign that Manny Pacquiao - Ryan Garcia is closer to being done. Garcia has been insisting it will not be an exhibition.

Will Manny spare his face?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

guys, boxing is back... and it sucks

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Feel like The Sport entered 2021 with a lot of momentum and they’re gonna squander it lol

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

GalacticAcid posted:

Feel like The Sport entered 2021 with a lot of momentum and they’re gonna squander it lol

At least it looks like the Fury-Joshua fight will finally happen.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

There's a lot of good fights on the menu but January is always a rough time for the schedule.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

There's a lot of good fights on the menu but January is always a rough time for the schedule.

It would've been better if Kovalev wasn't a drug addled pirate

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The SituAsian posted:

It would've been better if Kovalev wasn't a drug addled pirate

Haha yes that’s true.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Billy Joe took some shots at Barry McGuigan about his dead daughter because McGuigan talked about the Kinahan's for a BBC program that aired about Daniel Kinahan's connections to boxing.

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1357098659150757888

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/1y3kadznaf/the-suspected-gangster-at-the-heart-of-world-boxing

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

impressively on brand both as being a useless kinahan lapdog and as a complete rear end in a top hat

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

The SituAsian posted:

Billy Joe took some shots at Barry McGuigan about his dead daughter because McGuigan talked about the Kinahan's for a BBC program that aired about Daniel Kinahan's connections to boxing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/1y3kadznaf/the-suspected-gangster-at-the-heart-of-world-boxing

Fuckin hell lads, grim poo poo. Wouldn't be surprised if someone gets shot again.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55956375

BBC team who made it have been threatened which is a great way of proving you're not a crime lord.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Rip Leon Spinks drat

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

GalacticAcid posted:

Rip Leon Spinks drat

Rest in power to a real one

Also the Kinahan story is again picking up steam stateside after the BBC Panorama episode. Lance Pugmire gave BJS a chance to explain himself on the pod he does with Coppinger and.......

https://twitter.com/pugboxing/status/1358823054915215360?s=09

EDIT: He's gonna blow it again :argh:

Eddie Hearn to DAZN posted:

Eddie Hearn believes that Billy Joe Saunders should quit social media before he does irreparable harm to his career.

Saunders is set to fight Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez on May 8, in a fight that could see him emerge as the top fighter at 168lb, but may have been distracted recently by the controversies he started on social media.

He launched attacks on Barry McGuigan and made light of a death threat made towards a BBC journalist, and it’s not the first time that Saunders has failed to meet the standards that others may expect, including a post that appeared to mock domestic violence.

Matchroom promoter Hearn suggested that the 31-year-old world champion should delete his social media presence.

Hearn said: “I think Billy should just delete social media really. It’s difficult because I think sometimes, and he’s brought a lot of it on himself, he’s portrayed a certain way and that doesn’t help him.

“He also finds it difficult to express his feelings and what he means when he’s trying to justify himself.

“Ultimately, all being well, Billy Joe Saunders is fighting Canelo Alvarez in one of the biggest fights of the year and the rest is over to him.

“I can’t babysit him, I can’t hold his hand. That’s it. That’s it for him. He either becomes a legend of British boxing that night or loses his world championship.

“The stage of me holding his hand and trying to guide him through how to behave on social media and how not to behave, it’s gone too far for that now.

“Not because of his reputation but it’s too late in the day to change Billy Joe Saunders. He is what he is. He’s an outstanding fighter so let’s see how outstanding he is. On May 8, we’ll find that out.”

https://www.dazn.com/en-US/news/boxing/eddie-hearn-tells-billy-joe-saunders-to-delete-social-media-accounts/10cm9i1gea06s1gi0q47ccyreb

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 9, 2021

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

"how could he be responsible for a crime if he isn't even there?? checkmate"

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Declan MacManus posted:

"how could he be responsible for a crime if he isn't even there?? checkmate"

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'd say of the shady guy who is instrumental in my career and money having.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
At this point I just want Canelo to beat Saunders so that Saunders can disappear forever.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Having watched it the most damning bit of the documentary for me was that MTK don't charge star fighters any management fees but have somehow (by the CEO's own admission) built up a huge pot to allow them to snap up over 300 fighters and win more purse bids.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This loving sport :(

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/sports/johnson-city-boxer-king-dies-from-fight-injuries/article_b614d730-6b1b-11eb-8c06-0335b320bd15.html

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

that's sad. but i'm glad it doesn't appear to be a result of gross negligence on the part of the officiating / corner

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jump King posted:

guys, boxing is back... and it sucks

Boxing is back for real this weekend. Several cards with good fights up and down them but a specific shout to Teixeira-Castano and Vlasov-Smith, which should both be bangers that might be going under the radar a bit.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Vlasov has covid, it’s postponed

Rest of the card is still decent though. commey-marinez bumped up to main event, then there’s Adam Lopez vs Jason Sanchez and the heavyweight prospect Jared Anderson against Kingsley Ibeh

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Horrible loving timing on my post

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The SituAsian posted:

That BBC show is really good, I'm watching it right now. It's called Boxing and The Mob and well worth seeking out.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

Boxing is back for real this weekend. Several cards with good fights up and down them but a specific shout to Teixeira-Castano and Vlasov-Smith, which should both be bangers that might be going under the radar a bit.

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1360339930036264961

EDIT:

Mr. F! posted:

Can’t wait for next Saturday when boxing is REALLY back. Mayweather v Paul

It's been postponed :cry:

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 13, 2021

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Can’t wait for next Saturday when boxing is REALLY back. Mayweather v Paul

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Huge upset for Lara. Fight should have been called off in the fourth. Insane they let it go on after that.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The SituAsian posted:

It's been postponed :cry:

FUCKkkkkkkkkkkkk

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Castanos is a little loving tank man, I think Charlo kicks his rear end but he's really loving fun to watch

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Mr. F! posted:

Huge upset for Lara. Fight should have been called off in the fourth. Insane they let it go on after that.

wasn't it in london? that's wild

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Tyson Vs Holyfield III has been signed.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Declan MacManus posted:

wasn't it in london? that's wild

Yeah, in London. Insane.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Carl Frampton's fight with Jamel Herring next week is off if anyone was waiting

https://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2021/0217/1197735-frampton-fight-off-due-to-hand-injury/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Sucks, I was looking forward to that