Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

ultrafilter posted:

It'd be nice if they threw in a "you're not fooling anyone", but phrased the way Kim would say it.

But Kim already says that the way that Kim would say that. Which is to say, he does not say that. He is not the kind of person to point out an obvious lie if he didn't have to. And why would he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

it's still weird that kim will just come out and explain to joyce that you've lost your memory when you haven't talked to him about it. if he's just going to pretend everything is fine and not mention it, why suddenly out you like that without warning? definitely feels like more of a design oversight than deliberate writing

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I drunk bought a gently caress The World hoodie despite already owning 5 other black hoodies with nihilistic doomer catchphrases of some manner printed on them. gently caress it, treat don't care

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

it's still weird that kim will just come out and explain to joyce that you've lost your memory when you haven't talked to him about it. if he's just going to pretend everything is fine and not mention it, why suddenly out you like that without warning? definitely feels like more of a design oversight than deliberate writing

I think the logic behind not writing an alternative scenario there is because his intent is to weird Joyce out and maybe make her slip up. even if he has no idea that Harry’s lost his memory, it would still cause a double-take to assure the person of interest that this crazy-looking disco disaster is not only a cop, but an amnesiac cop. it would’ve parsed better had they accounted for the possibility of never telling Kim, but it still works

other things it would’ve been nice to have more options about are “nobody heard the shot” and being able to think about the island even if you still couldn’t go there until after the tribunal, but oh well

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Maybe the murder weapon is one of those integrally suppressed guns that is a lot quieter than anything else

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vegetable posted:

You can now get this :allears:

My issue with this is that either the reference should have been more obvious, like the other one would have been, or less obvious and more interesting on its own merits, like the other one would have been. In summary,

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

treat posted:

I drunk bought a gently caress The World hoodie despite already owning 5 other black hoodies with nihilistic doomer catchphrases of some manner printed on them.

You can't say this and not just list them. It's uncouth.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Final Cut can theoretically come out in less than 30 days from now :slick:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

EorayMel posted:

Final Cut can theoretically come out in less than 30 days from now :slick:

I'm still waiting for them to announce a release date other than "sometime in March." I've got some PS4/5 copies I want to gift friends.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Nice little interview here about the Final Cut, mostly it's known stuff but there's more details on the new content if anyone wants it. Sounds pretty cool.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/02/interview_the_disco_elysium_team_talks_ps5_porting_process_extra_content_and_dumb_deaths

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

quote:

We’ve added a few new things for players to discover here and there, but the heart of the new material are these political vision quests. These are four mutually exclusive quests, one keyed to each of the game’s four major ideological alignments. These quests (or some version of them) have actually been planned for a long time, but unfortunately they didn’t make it into the original release, so the Final Cut has been a great chance to revisit some ideas that have been on our minds for a while and really do them right.

By design, these quests won’t have a major bearing on the game’s main storyline. Really, these quests are meant to give players the chance to bring some of the story’s ideological themes to a satisfying conclusion and explore what’s really going on behind the political posturing that the protagonist sometimes likes to engage in.

I should also say that each of these quests is unique — they’re as different from one another as they are from any of the other quests in Disco Elysium. Some introduce you to new characters, some come with new items, others permanently change your UI or some other piece of the world. I really don’t want to say anything more about them than that.

Spoilered out of an abundance of caution, but I cut out the good part of the interview where they talk specifically about the new quests. That sounds p p good :eyepop:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Are there any trivial passive check failures that are shown to you, if you get the checked skill into the negative values via clothing and thoughts? If so, are there any special/stupid ones that take the cake?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

Spoilered out of an abundance of caution, but I cut out the good part of the interview where they talk specifically about the new quests. That sounds p p good :eyepop:

Sounds like I get to make four new runs! I'm actually extremely ok with this.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

EorayMel posted:

Are there any trivial passive check failures that are shown to you, if you get the checked skill into the negative values via clothing and thoughts? If so, are there any special/stupid ones that take the cake?

Based on this, there is precisely one trivial "antipassive" check, for esprit de corps. I have no idea what it is, though. Or how you can get negative esprit de corps, for that matter.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Extremely dope.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

the communist quest is going to be the literary-artsy equivalent of "What Is To Be Done?" isn't it

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I absolutely cannot wait to see how brutal they are. I can easily imagine the lib one in particular being legendary

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

There should be a Dumb Death where If you have either negative or double digit positive number Electrochemistry and are alone, you gulp down the blue medicinal spirits and go on a "spirit vision" of your own. To the grave because of poisoning.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

I wonder if the capitalism one will affect your gravitational pull slightly, like the guy in the container

Not in any huge way but like, you can reach bottles to pawn a liiiittle further.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Staltran posted:

Based on this, there is precisely one trivial "antipassive" check, for esprit de corps. I have no idea what it is, though. Or how you can get negative esprit de corps, for that matter.
You can get -1 from Boiadeiro, but that can only set edc to 0.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Staltran posted:

I wonder how final cut will change this up.

Also I hope the voice acting changes means stuff like the religion/history quiz book has its own voice when it tells you that you are shouting at an inanimate object like a weirdo.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I can’t wait to play this with controller on my PC. I rally want to be able to lean back and just soak it all in.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Need advice ordering merch. How are sizes for tshirts? I ordered stuff from USA and by their standards I am M, but who knows in the UK, people are usually thinner in europe.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sekenr posted:

Need advice ordering merch. How are sizes for tshirts? I ordered stuff from USA and by their standards I am M, but who knows in the UK, people are usually thinner in europe.

British people fat. My experience is that an American M is something between a European L and XL and an American L is larger than a European XL. So that relationship might hold for most of the sizes. It's probably going to depend a bit on the exact fit of the clothing in particular. But if you're an American M, then a European L might do the trick.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Randarkman posted:

British people fat. My experience is that an American M is something between a European L and XL and an American L is larger than a European XL. So that relationship might hold for most of the sizes. It's probably going to depend a bit on the exact fit of the clothing in particular. But if you're an American M, then a European L might do the trick.

Thanks

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

For some reason one of the funniest parts of the game to me is when you first meet Kim, tell him the body is still in the tree and Esprit de Corps is like "it's obvious he would prefer that the body was not in the tree."

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Pwnstar posted:

For some reason one of the funniest parts of the game to me is when you first meet Kim, tell him the body is still in the tree and Esprit de Corps is like "it's obvious he would prefer that the body was not in the tree."

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, congrats to displate for not shipping to goddamned Belarus, yet it ships to Venezuela. Yesterday I was drunk and was about to order around 300 dollars worth of plates and welp

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

I was wondering this exact same thing, and I'm kind of torn on it.

On the one hand, memory loss is an extremely common phenomenon in this world especially among people who travel through the pale like Joyce. And Kim would know this. He knows about the pale, he knows about sea travel, and he knows who Joyce is. He may even know who she really is. He knows that she's the most powerful person maybe on Earth. Joyce basically owns all of Revachol. The cops are here investigating a murder of her employee who was protecting her property. Even if Kim does not know that she is the majority shareholder of Wild Pines... He knows that the mercs are here protecting her, that there are snipers that will take you out if she gives the signal. He also knows just how loving stupid Harry is, and how he'll say anything to anyone and saying the wrong thing to this anyone will get him killed.

So, really, he could be protecting Harry by speaking truthfully to Joyce.

Or it could just be an oversight.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/studioZAUM/status/1358748230482296835

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

They don't even provide a description? How am I supposed to know who they are? Will there be more clues later?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Does anything change when you snitch about Evrart to Joyce? Kim tells you off for it and kind of implies it might have a story outcome, but I don’t think it did.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Does anything change when you snitch about Evrart to Joyce? Kim tells you off for it and kind of implies it might have a story outcome, but I don’t think it did.

I think Evrart is too clever to show even if it matters. He even implicitly says "absolutely, tell her everything"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Evrart is feeding you information for her benefit. He expects you to snitch. He wants you to snitch.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Drop by Evrart's after Joyce lives (which she'll do before the Tribunal is you tell her everything).

Also, ditch Kim and let Joyce know Mr. Evrart is helping you find your gun.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
God I'm so pumped to play through this again on PS5 in a month or so.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The rumor is that not only are there more quests, but more actual types of cops/political affiliations you can choose from throughout the existing game.

Even if it just adds a single new type of cop, I am so in. Hell, I'll buy another copy even though it's a free update because ZA/UM deserves more money.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/02/interview_the_disco_elysium_team_talks_ps5_porting_process_extra_content_and_dumb_deaths

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Fuzz posted:

The rumor is that not only are there more quests, but more actual types of cops/political affiliations you can choose from throughout the existing game.

Even if it just adds a single new type of cop, I am so in. Hell, I'll buy another copy even though it's a free update because ZA/UM deserves more money.

If this is true:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Edit: oh goodness, this'll probably mean there'll probably be strasserite-cop and fascist-futurist-cop. I look forward (i.e. will hate) to see what happens with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Do we have a definitive release date aside from "sometime in March" yet? I was at Gamestop yesterday (the boyfriend needed to make a run and I tagged along) and I asked them about it, and the guy had never even heard of the game. Which I guess is understandable since it's been PC only up until now, but not a good indicator that they are going to get a decent amount of stock if any. I'm holding off on a second run until the update comes out, but I'm getting antsy.