Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

PetraCore posted:

So there's got to be, like, diabetic friendly milkshakes and stuff using sugar substitutes, right? Like as a diabetic you don't need to cut out everything sweet (and in fact need to have stuff to bring your blood sugar up when it's low), it's that you have to be a lot more aware of the composition of your food and how much literal sucrose you're eating, since the problem is your body has trouble storing and unpacking sugar with glucose and glycogen?

Yeah, there are probably diabetic-friendly milkshakes and such, but they're generally not easily found. Also, some of the sugar free (using sugar substitutes) stuff doesn't get digested well and can give you the shits or farts. Ask me how I know. Sugar is a big problem, but easily available starches (potatoes, bread, grains like rice and wheat, pasta, etc) are a big problem too, they get converted over to complex sugars in your body during digestion, and that really throws your blood sugar out of whack.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

PetraCore posted:

So there's got to be, like, diabetic friendly milkshakes and stuff using sugar substitutes, right? Like as a diabetic you don't need to cut out everything sweet (and in fact need to have stuff to bring your blood sugar up when it's low), it's that you have to be a lot more aware of the composition of your food and how much literal sucrose you're eating, since the problem is your body has trouble storing and unpacking sugar with glucose and glycogen?

If you can properly count carbs, you can take rapid acting insulin before the meal to offset whatever you're eating.

And personally I do excersize (weight lifting) when my insulin goes too high, that's usually when it goes over 10-11 mmol/l and like a few minutes of lifting is enough to make it go down real fast.

I don't know high it has to be before excersize means you get ketoacidosis issues.

EDIT: Also nowadays, for people who can afford it there are closed loop insulin pumps, the insulin pump directly reads a glucose sensor and keeps the bodys glucose in check on it's own.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 8, 2021

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, there are probably diabetic-friendly milkshakes and such, but they're generally not easily found. Also, some of the sugar free (using sugar substitutes) stuff doesn't get digested well and can give you the shits or farts. Ask me how I know. Sugar is a big problem, but easily available starches (potatoes, bread, grains like rice and wheat, pasta, etc) are a big problem too, they get converted over to complex sugars in your body during digestion, and that really throws your blood sugar out of whack.

What I thought of during this conversation.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

:nice:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Please look at the steamshovel chin of Bernier, top left

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Tensions are high on Ballard Street tonight:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 29, 1943)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Weird to see an early Ballard Street before it found it's niche.

The Shadow and Flyin' Jenny Aug. 27th, 1940

Axa Fallout: New Vegas (2010)

Come the gently caress on, Jason.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Kliban sure loves his eskimo jokes

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Constantly trivializing rape feels a little gratuitous after a while.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 29, 1943)

Those two Norsemen are so happy!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

It's one thing for Modesty to be unconcerned, seeing as she's an action hero who's received mental training under a magical guru and such, but it does seem a little weird for the other woman to be so unbothered.

Green Intern posted:

Those two Norsemen are so happy!

Wouldn't you be? Free boat! Arlo would be very envious.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

There are at least a couple points in the novels where Modesty gets raped and uses one of those mystic yoga trances to shrug it off. In both of those cases, as in the strips here, it's in situations she deliberately entered to save someone else, but it's still uncomfortable and a reminder of O'Donnell's blind spots.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Nekonaughey

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

curtadams posted:

Hitz has a serious psychological disorder. Alcoholic kleptomania or something like that.

This was during the earlier days of Prohibition, and Hitz doesn't have a hook-up.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy I'm pretty sure this isn't how bugs work.

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens Why? Just use a drat paintbrush or a printer.

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Lockhorns

I'm so tired.

The Dinette Set sounds delicious.

Working Daze did not realize that, if the door to her office is open, you wouldn't see her nameplate there because then it'd be on the inside.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is NSFW.

Cul De Sac is a natural.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Died! (February 20, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (April 3, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (November 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (March 13, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (August 13, 1935)

Dark Laughter (August 30, 1941)

Mopsy Sunday (June 1, 1947)

Those Were the Days (June 21, 1951)

Dinky Fellas (May 4, 1965)

Wee Pals (May 4, 1965)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (April 3, 1918)

sitting here thinking about how we still use "afternoon" but nobody would ever say "forenoon" anymore

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Forenoon communicates too well that the time you're speaking of is before noon. It is therefore clearly inferior to morning, which indicates that the time is about to become sunrise.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Slammy posted:

Hitz and Mrs. (November 1923)

You can probably tell from context, but inflation was a huge problem in the Weimar Republic in the early 1920s. In fact the wikipedia article specifically gives November '23 as an example:

quote:

By November 1923, the US dollar was worth 4,210,500,000,000 German marks.
They did have up to 50 trillion Mark bills so really Hitz' boss is just being even more unnecessarily contrary. :v:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Oh, we're going to keep this poo poo up all week, aren't we.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bernice remains the worst.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

Tensions are high on Ballard Street tonight:

Why are these all blurry?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Here the king and Broman summarize an entire chapter of Elias finding his way to Stockholm and talking with several people while trying to find where Maria is held.

Many people seemed to think that she's a witch, but it's implied that the king is just horny (in real life he had at least two known mistresses)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_I_of_Sweden

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

TEENAGER: my father will definitely beat me, I obviously know this from experience (hides in a car rather than go home)
MOTHER: eeeeh he probably won't really, anyway let me deliver you to him and whoops look at the time gotta go you'll find your own way inside kid
(aside) Ohgeegosh this is certainly a very bad situation which isn't any of my business at all and I have no hand in what happens whatsoever, oh how cruel is the world (peels out)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MOTHER: maybe a guardian angel can visit his father and tell him not to beat his child, that is how basic ethics work

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Someone tell us how the rest of this plotline goes so we can know how mad we need to be at Lynn.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Zereth posted:

Why are these all blurry?

The way I crop and upload them might not be the best in terms of quality (saving them directly from the site won’t work, it only saves the web address); any tips on how to find a better solution is welcome!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (July 5-9, 1999)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/8/01

Brenda Starr 11/11/45

Things not to do when you find a dead body:

1. Don't inform anyone else
2. Turn them over to look at their face
3. Dress in their clothes and jump out at visitors

Smokey Stover 6/8-10/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

The way I crop and upload them might not be the best in terms of quality (saving them directly from the site won’t work, it only saves the web address); any tips on how to find a better solution is welcome!

If you're pulling them from GoComics, you can view the page source and look for the bit starting "https://assets.amuniversal.com/" - that link will take you to the image in the best resolution GoComics has it, I think.

For example that strip is
code:
https://assets.amuniversal.com/a5d7bd405d21012ee3bd00163e41dd5b

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kavak posted:

Someone tell us how the rest of this plotline goes so we can know how mad we need to be at Lynn.

If you're expecting her characters to be flawless judges of character who always act correctly you're gonna be mad a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

FrumpleOrz posted:

Brewster Rockit Space Guy I'm pretty sure this isn't how bugs work.

when you think your joke is so weak that you have to have a text panel prefacing it to explain the joke. I don't hate the joke I think it's kind of clever but I hate things where they unnecessarily explain the joke.