Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Nothing worse than cold air ON MAX directly in your eye balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

smooth jazz posted:

When touchscreens in cars became common, say 8-10 years ago, everyone I know including myself almost killed themselves within 5 minutes of leaving the dealership.

Anyways, there are signs of signs of positive change: Honda brought back the volume knob, Ford engineered a literal volume knob that sits smack dab in the middle of the touchscreen.
Tesla replaced their piano black console with matte.

Calling it now, the Mk 9 Golf with have knobs again.

FYI Ford volume knob is a capacitive stylus bolted to the glass, aka if the touchscreen goes on the fritz the knob stop working. It’s a step in the right direction but I would have preferred a less crash prone option

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ilkhan posted:

Agreed. I have no idea how fussy you'd have to be to touch your HVAC more than once a, uh, ever. Turn it on auto and never touch again. Maybe adjust when seasons change?

Cold places you want to run the defroster in winter but not all the time. But agreed, the amount of adjustment is pretty low, even in my totally manual climate control car. I just mostly adjust when stopped.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

SlowBloke posted:

FYI Ford volume knob is a capacitive stylus bolted to the glass, aka if the touchscreen goes on the fritz the knob stop working. It’s a step in the right direction but I would have preferred a less crash prone option

The 21 F-150 got it right. Same size and system as the MachE but it includes all the physical controls just below.

Seen here:
https://twitter.com/therealautoblog/status/1358067928361562112?s=21

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Patro posted:

This is still my favorite setup. They're changing it into a big glass panel for remote activation and deactivation of features. poo poo while they're at it anything could be subscription based with these giant screens or stupid haptic feedback panels. That's why buttons are going away. :tinfoil:

It's about as distracting as a touchscreen because you still have to look down to find stuff. The buttons are small and not differentiated well by feel or color, and the giant button bank means there's no place to put your phone.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Godzilla07 posted:

It's about as distracting as a touchscreen because you still have to look down to find stuff. The buttons are small and not differentiated well by feel or color, and the giant button bank means there's no place to put your phone.

The phone can go in your pocket.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

MrLogan posted:

The phone can go in your pocket.

Then how will you browse instagram at stoplights?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I like auto well enough in the summer, but hate how insistent it seems to be on running the A/C compressor in the winter. It's been this way in pretty much every car I've used it in.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Agreed. I have no idea how fussy you'd have to be to touch your HVAC more than once a, uh, ever. Turn it on auto and never touch again. Maybe adjust when seasons change?

Someone doesn't have a menopausal spouse.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Wistful of Dollars posted:

4 if you count the driver.

:dadjoke:

Boom. Roasted.

KakerMix posted:

Yeah what the hell, especially this vent:

Right at my balls. Oh you don't have a ball vent? Such a shame :smug:

I really miss mine in the 3rd 4Runner. Kept my nuts nice and cool in the summer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

opengl128 posted:

I like auto well enough in the summer, but hate how insistent it seems to be on running the A/C compressor in the winter. It's been this way in pretty much every car I've used it in.

That's a good thing. Not only does it keep the system lubricated, it uses it to remove moisture from the air to keep the windows from fogging.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

bull3964 posted:

That's a good thing. Not only does it keep the system lubricated, it uses it to remove moisture from the air to keep the windows from fogging.

You mentioned the excellent electric power steering of the BRZ a few pages back. The auto climate control of my BRZ also did very well at running the a/c to keep moisture down during midwest winters.

Other than ground clearance and somehow everyone else's inability to see the brightest blue car on the road, a BRZ with snow tires was a great midwest winter car. I think I'll get another once I no longer need the constant utility of my pickup.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you don't need to seat 4 people or haul higher
huge items, the BRZ is borderline the perfect car. Cheap to run, uncomplicated, and has been mostly major issue free (aside from that range that had valve issues.)

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

During winter pretty much every time I start my car I have adjust seat heater controls, defrosters for windscreen and rear window and set the blower to blow to windows to clear ice or steam. And all of that I want to do with my warm gloves or mittens on. No way do I want to freeze my fingers fiddling with some laggy touch screen. In fact, Volvo V90 would be high on my next car list if not for the idiotic all touch screen interface. C'mon Volvo, you swedes should know better!

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

bad_fmr posted:

During winter pretty much every time I start my car I have adjust seat heater controls, defrosters for windscreen and rear window and set the blower to blow to windows to clear ice or steam. And all of that I want to do with my warm gloves or mittens on. No way do I want to freeze my fingers fiddling with some laggy touch screen. In fact, Volvo V90 would be high on my next car list if not for the idiotic all touch screen interface. C'mon Volvo, you swedes should know better!

That's one bonus about my F150. I just crank the temperature button hard right towards "warmth" and with the stock settings it turns all that on. Maybe not the seat heater, but the rest just happens. Plus it turns the side mirror heaters on.

And yeah, single with no kids so when I had the BRZ the rear seats were down and both fronts were full back. Trunk entrance was a bit fiddly sometimes but other than that it was everything I loved about my AE86 Corolla but with modern crash standards. Only complaint was that you needed to double clutch some shifts when the transmission was cold. And maybe once in a while I'd frown at the torque dip. Oh and the poo poo stock tires. The new 2.4 and better tires should eliminate those complaints completely.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

bull3964 posted:

If you don't need to seat 4 people or haul higher
huge items, the BRZ is borderline the perfect car. Cheap to run, uncomplicated, and has been mostly major issue free (aside from that range that had valve issues.)

Unfortunately it is terribly laid out for long-legged people. I was ready to buy one, was going to take a test drive, sat down, and my right knee occupied 100% of the space between the steering wheel and shift knob.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My Omega had dual zone climate control and if you pressed the dedicated defrost button, it would direct the air to the windshield, turn the heat to max, and (I think) turn on the AC. Normally it would also keep the fan speeds low until the coolant was warmed up to avoid blasting you in the face with cold air. There's a knob for temperature and a button to increase/decrease fan speed.

It's a pretty good system and it seems they had this poo poo figured out like 20 years ago. In contrast the fully manual one in my miata definitely requires a lot more fiddling, not enough to be annoying or anything, but at startup I have to change to the windshield, crank the temperature and fan speed, and then afterwards put everything back the way I want to.

I don't have a car fancy enough to hide everything behind a touchscreen but it's certainly going to be annoying. You can't just set it at 21 degrees and leave it there as my preference depends on the temperature outside, whether or not I feel warm or cold, what I'm wearing, etc., etc.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry to detract from buttonchat, but is anyone else wondering why the hell there are still no press reviews of the new M3/M4? Are they seriously going to wait until after they're delivered to customers to let people review them?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I could've sworn I saw one video, but looking back through my youtube history it was the M440i so not the fullblown M cars.

Straight Pipes did a video a few months ago, but clicking through it again just now there's no driving segment. And I kinda don't like their content anyways.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

New car chat. I need $250k.

https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/38543/scg-boot-review-a-650-hp-street-legal-baja-racer-is-one-of-the-most-entertaining-cars-on-earth

quote:

Even by today’s standards, it's a radical design with zero front or rear overhang and an engine dangling out back. Start with a custom tube-frame chassis riding on a four-wheel independent suspension and 3" internal-bypass Fox coilovers that provide a silly 18 inches of travel. Throw in a supercharged LT4 from a Camaro ZL1 (and, don't forget, the Cadillac CTS-V) and a four-speed 4L80E automatic transmission with a low-range transfer case. Pop on some 17-inch beadlock wheels shod in 37-inch BFGoodrich mud tires. Sprinkle the barest hint of bodywork all over, but don't forget the power seats and Apple CarPlay. Presto, you've baked yourself a Boot.

After playing at Monticello, car cleaning maven Larry Kosilla and I take the Boot back to Larry’s shop in Connecticut for a thorough detail. For the 90-mile mostly highway trip, we took turns alternating between the Boot and Larry’s Audi R8. The contrast could not have been more dramatic. Flooring the gas in the R8, the car just rockets forward. Matting the pedal in the Boot, there is both forward and upward movement as the nose reaches for the sky and the engine screams behind your head. The nose settles back down as the speed quickly increases, but you want to slow down and do it again, and again.

It’s stupidly addictive and you find yourself laughing like an idiot as every other driver stares dumbfounded while you goose the throttle and wiggle the steering. Waiting in line for the toll booth, a lady in a Prius pulled up next to the Boot and started yelling, “you’re too loud!”

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I could've sworn I saw one video, but looking back through my youtube history it was the M440i so not the fullblown M cars.

Straight Pipes did a video a few months ago, but clicking through it again just now there's no driving segment. And I kinda don't like their content anyways.

Yeah, there are a million "LOOK AT THE INTERIOR GUYS" videos and some "Here's it idling from a cold startup" videos, but the only two where anyone has actually driven it were when Supercar Blondie drove it 60 ft in a driveway and an old one where Shmee drove it at highway speeds on a track following a BMW employee.

Gimme a fuckin Throttle House or Savagegeese review, goddamnit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Gangringo posted:

Unfortunately it is terribly laid out for long-legged people. I was ready to buy one, was going to take a test drive, sat down, and my right knee occupied 100% of the space between the steering wheel and shift knob.

I got a 36" inseam and it fits well for me.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Audi officially revealed the e-tron GT. Base model makes 469 hp and 464 lb-ft of torque in regular operation and 523 hp and 472 lb-ft when using launch control. The RS model makes 590 hp, 637 hp with launch control, with 612 lb-ft of torque. 0- 60 time for the RS model is 3.1 seconds so it fits between the Taycan and Taycan Turbo.

It has a 93.4-kWh battery pack with 800 volt charging capability. Using a 270 kW charger it can go from 5% to 80% in about 22 minutes. 238 miles of range for the base car, 232 miles for the RS. The base model weighs 5060 lbs, while the RS is 5139 lbs.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35448659/2022-audi-e-tron-gt-rs-revealed-photos-specs-msrp/

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
No to those wheels. Yes to half the front of the car not being a big fake grille.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

:neckbeard: buttons!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah, they went back to hard buttons for the HVAC controls unlike the new A6, A7, and A8 which have a touch screen.

Full size image: https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/a210283-large-1612890104.jpg

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Someone doesn't have a menopausal spouse.
Not for a while longer, no. But the wife can adjust her own temp without it being a distraction for me driving.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not digging those wheels, or the weird black "frame" around the not-grille. Not sure if it's better or worse than the Mach-E's mustache. What is color that, pea green vomit?? :barf:

Interior, sides, and rear do look good though.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Sab669 posted:

Not digging those wheels, or the weird black "frame" around the not-grille. Not sure if it's better or worse than the Mach-E's mustache. What is color that, pea green vomit?? :barf:

Interior, sides, and rear do look good though.
They have a bunch of normal colors here

https://www.caranddriver.com/audi/e-tron-gt

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It has a honey badger face

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

They have a bunch of normal colors here

https://www.caranddriver.com/audi/e-tron-gt

Yea your first link had some others in more normal colors too.

Overall not bad. I think I'd take the RWD Taycan which is supposedly going to be a fair bit cheaper*, but that this comes with AWD for a similar price is neat I guess.

edit: * cheaper than its AWD variant I mean. Not cheaper than the etron.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 9, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

Audi officially revealed the e-tron GT. Base model makes 469 hp and 464 lb-ft of torque in regular operation and 523 hp and 472 lb-ft when using launch control. The RS model makes 590 hp, 637 hp with launch control, with 612 lb-ft of torque. 0- 60 time for the RS model is 3.1 seconds so it fits between the Taycan and Taycan Turbo.

It has a 93.4-kWh battery pack with 800 volt charging capability. Using a 270 kW charger it can go from 5% to 80% in about 22 minutes. 238 miles of range for the base car, 232 miles for the RS. The base model weighs 5060 lbs, while the RS is 5139 lbs.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35448659/2022-audi-e-tron-gt-rs-revealed-photos-specs-msrp/

I think it looks great but at 108k for the premium plus it's out of my range.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 9, 2021

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Gangringo posted:

You must be a mutant of a human being because I'm 193cm tall with long limbs and my knee never occupied that space.

edit: If it were possible I'd get the seats about 2-4cm lower, 2-4cm further back, and give them seat length / thigh support adjustment. Maybe a few more cm closer adjustment of the steering wheel.

antimatt fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 9, 2021

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Murgos posted:

I think it looks great but at 108k for the premium plus it's out of my range.

Jesus Christ, $100,945 to start.
*Adds to list of cool poo poo that is out of the question.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I like that cool EVs from real manufacturers are starting to materialize, but wake me up when they start at 40k so normal people can afford them

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

bad_fmr posted:

You can configure the car to start up with the seat heaters and steering wheel heater and max defrost enabled and then remote start it with your phone so it's like getting into an oven when you crack the door.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sab669 posted:

Yea your first link had some others in more normal colors too.

Overall not bad. I think I'd take the RWD Taycan which is supposedly going to be a fair bit cheaper*, but that this comes with AWD for a similar price is neat I guess.

edit: * cheaper than its AWD variant I mean. Not cheaper than the etron.

The RWD Taycan starts at 79900 but this being Porsche it takes at least 25k just to get it decently optioned.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mr. Apollo posted:

Audi officially revealed the e-tron GT.

This doesn't bode well for their electronic mirrors, their new halo car reverted to conventional glass...

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

SlowBloke posted:

This doesn't bode well for their electronic mirrors, their new halo car reverted to conventional glass...

That might be a government regulation thing just like the headlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dev/null
Dec 8, 2004

This custom title is not tax-deductible

bad_fmr posted:

The center screen on newer Volvos (SPA and onwards) can be operated with gloves, as it is not using capacitive interface.
Front & rear defrost are still buttons (as are hazard, volume, play/pause and skip)
The screen can be laggy sometimes though, especially early revisions.

Volvo posted:

An infrared light curtain just above the surface of the screen enables the screen to detect when a finger is directly in front of the screen. This technology makes it possible to use the screen even while wearing gloves.

Two people can interact with the screen at the same time, e.g. to adjust climate system settings for both the driver and passenger sides.