Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

muscles like this! posted:

Just from having watched the 2011 anime the thing I didn't like about HxH is how often it would just get lost in the explanation of powers and abilities. Also I wasn't a fan of how after the initial arc Leorio and Kurapika just kind of wander off and aren't seen for large chunks of the series.
I think more often than not this worked for me, like everything with Knuckle's power is hilarious and memorable. What was less fun was when it'd start getting into the weeds on some nen powers in the midst of everything else crawling to halt which was large swaths of Chimera Ant especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
To be fair, at this point, Togashi is probably using the wordiness as a way to avoid having to draw more than absolutely necessary, due to his health problems.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

Those 2 don’t have traditional print books in Japan?

It’s good to know that Kaiju No.8 is selling good though because I’m absolutely loving it and I would hate for it to be cancelled anytime soon.

I think he means non gn, week-by-week print.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

To be fair, at this point, Togashi is probably using the wordiness as a way to avoid having to draw more than absolutely necessary, due to his health problems.

I just want to remind everyone his health problems are an extremely hosed up spine because he liked to draw manga while lying in his stomach

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Nate RFB posted:

I think more often than not this worked for me, like everything with Knuckle's power is hilarious and memorable. What was less fun was when it'd start getting into the weeds on some nen powers in the midst of everything else crawling to halt which was large swaths of Chimera Ant especially.

I really enjoy his method of having complex powers that he lays out and you get to experience the interactions of mechanics and such. I get that it's not for everyone but the Hisoka and Chrollo fight in particular I enjoyed because it showed the reader the cards and then did a crazy trick with them, which I feel like other manga, when they try, never quite manage to pull off as compellingly. It's what makes nen really compelling to me. Knuckle probably has my favourite nen power in the series because it's so weird and used so well in the story.

The chimera ant arc especially, yeah, I'm thinking of the, what, ten seconds that was a couple of chapters of laying out all the chess pieces.

I don't think I'd want every shounen to be that way. I love watching Luffy tank a lightning bolt because he's a rubber man and punch a dragon too, but Hunter x Hunter is my favourite.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the anime mostly fixes how wordy hxh can be and it helps the flow a lot, but the chimera ant in particular still has parts where time freezes so the narrator can explain what's happening. like that does happen in anime but it gets excessive in hxh

there's at least one fight I just don't think works well because of how much of it is freezeframed but it's a pretty minor complaint

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I love the narrator in Chimera Ant and wouldn't trade it for anything

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he's a good narrator but the fight I'm thinking of might as well be an audiobook

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So the guy who turned up in the lated jjk chapter is the guy from the prequel right?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jose posted:

So the guy who turned up in the lated jjk chapter is the guy from the prequel right?

Yeah the foreign guy he hung out with is with was also from that and was a member of Geto's group.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This week's Mashle reminding us to keep on top of our protein regimen.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Magu-Chan continues giving all of the kids pet old ones and it rules

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Brought To You By posted:

This week's Mashle reminding us to keep on top of our protein regimen.

It's a good reversal too
Viz
Manga Plus

Valentine's Day in Roboco
Viz
Manga Plus

A new friend in Magu-chan
viz
Manga Plus

Still not sure about Witch Watch
Viz
Manga Plus

Getting serious in Sakamoto Days
Viz
Manga Plus

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Meanwhile in Jujutsu Kaisen, the older Zenin clan members are even bigger assholes than they previously came across as.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hey Jump finally got another Sports Manga.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

Meanwhile in Jujutsu Kaisen, the older Zenin clan members are even bigger assholes than they previously came across as.

We also got confirmation that Naobito died from what Jougo did to him, and it sounds like Maki is not in good shape.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
man, roboco was on fire this week.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

We also got confirmation that Naobito died from what Jougo did to him, and it sounds like Maki is not in good shape.

I don't want it to happen, but maki is probably kill as well

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They announced today that there's going to be another season of Demon Slayer airing this year.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I hope witch watch keeps being about 2 dumbasses going through life with the help of the shittiest magic.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Witch Watch is extremely boring so far, but I'm willing to give it a chance because eh, it's free and takes like 2 minutes to read a chapter.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I liked the first chapter of the baseball comic a lot

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Boco_T posted:

Same it was fun and I have recently come to appreciate sports manga.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lol, the Jujutsu Kaisen anime-only people who all fell in love with Nobara and Maki aren't gonna enjoy Season 2 much

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they'll be happy when nobara's back with a cool eyepatch in s3

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Boco_T posted:

Yeah it was good, and what happened in the chapter makes sense, especially with how modern high-school works. Will be interesting to see how things continue

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

lol, the Jujutsu Kaisen anime-only people who all fell in love with Nobara and Maki aren't gonna enjoy Season 2 much

I think Nobara gets one or two decent fights? But yeah, so far, the female characters haven't quite gotten the focus that they seemed to have been set up for.

I do at least appreciate that the female characters are assumed to be strong from the start, even if they lose sometimes, as opposed to the standard tedious "I've always been looking at their backs..." character arc.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I hope witch watch keeps being about 2 dumbasses going through life with the help of the shittiest magic.

Yeah I’m starting to get into Witch Watch for this reason too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

I think Nobara gets one or two decent fights? But yeah, so far, the female characters haven't quite gotten the focus that they seemed to have been set up for.

I do at least appreciate that the female characters are assumed to be strong from the start, even if they lose sometimes, as opposed to the standard tedious "I've always been looking at their backs..." character arc.

I think the issue is that they might be dead, rather then cool fights

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

muscles like this! posted:

They announced today that there's going to be another season of Demon Slayer airing this year.

Thank goodness, I've been dying to get more. Any word on the movie getting a digital release in the west?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

Thank goodness, I've been dying to get more. Any word on the movie getting a digital release in the west?

The trailer for the English dub juts says "early 2021." Although that's for a theatrical release. No word on digital.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think they've announced any date for the movie

wouldn't surprise me if they were trying to wait for theaters to open

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think the issue is that they might be dead, rather then cool fights

No way are they actually dead. In both cases, the manga goes out of its way to hint at the possibility of them dying, while avoiding definitively confirming their death. In Nobara's case, Arata Nitta says "I've finished treating the girl. But she's probably dead." Later we see one of the Zenins asking whether Mai is dead; we don't get a very direct answer, but we're told that "Maki is the one who's dying" (not dead). That's not how major characters die in shonen manga; there should at least be a flashback, and preferably something dramatic happening to the body ("monstrous" enemies in series like Demon Slayer and Bleach disintegrating into dust, the omniscient narrator telling us that Whitebeard died standing after receiving countless wounds, Yhwach blowing up Yamamoto's corpse).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

No way are they actually dead. In both cases, the manga goes out of its way to hint at the possibility of them dying, while avoiding definitively confirming their death. In Nobara's case, Arata Nitta says "I've finished treating the girl. But she's probably dead." Later we see one of the Zenins asking whether Mai is dead; we don't get a very direct answer, but we're told that "Maki is the one who's dying" (not dead). That's not how major characters die in shonen manga; there should at least be a flashback, and preferably something dramatic happening to the body ("monstrous" enemies in series like Demon Slayer and Bleach disintegrating into dust, the omniscient narrator telling us that Whitebeard died standing after receiving countless wounds, Yhwach blowing up Yamamoto's corpse).

In any case I am guessing Maki is not in good shape and may not be able to fight anymore. Given that Naobito died from the damage Jougo did and Nanami’s condition before he died.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Roboco ruled again this week

Witch Watch is cute, I liked the puns with light/heavy. Still not entirely sold but I'll probably keep reading, seems like it could have its own unique voice.

Very mixed feelings on I Tell C. I like that it's putting a focus on the emotional strains that lead to people becoming criminals, but it definitely feels like it's more a manga about cops doing whatever they want. Guess we'll see!

Still also not fully sold on Elusive Samurai. The priest guy is just SO creepy. I just want him out of the picture but I know that's not happening lol. I also hate to say it, but the huge number of Japanese names and words kind of makes it a bit of a chore to read. I know that it's appropriate for the era, but that doesn't make it easier to read.

Despite the confusing name, I'm digging the new baseball series, and I generally don't read much sports manga. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I had to read that new manga's name multiple times before my mind would stop trying to read Dragonballs in there. But I agree with the rest. This first chapter was nice. Nice art. Fun characters and the lead is relatable in being completely average but driven and believably smart. Will definitely be following this for the next few chapters to see where it's going. I think this might be the first sports manga I actively follow.

Mashle was fantastic. I can read Mash trash talking everyone all chapters all day long.
Roboco was fantastic.
Magu was okay.
Sakamoto is breaking out of it's formula and I'm somewhat interested again.
Elusive Samurai. Priest is the worst and he is ruining my enjoyment of the series. It's still early days though and I think it has potential.

Witch Watch still feels very early Bleach to me. Very standard shonen, but I'm enjoying it enough to keep reading for now. Had a couple of good chuckles this chapter. Feels like it might be too generic to have a long life though.

I dropped I tell C. It's not clicking. I don't like the leads. I find the paneling to be chaotic and unpleasant and the hook of an officer falling in love with criminals and thus doing whatever just doesn't appeal to me. It may have a good mystery at some point with the girl's past but meh.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

dogsicle posted:

mind numbing mess of nen mechanics

maybe it's actually no worse than some prior fights, but there was such a large gap between me finishing the prior stuff and actually getting to read it that i couldn't say.
Not gonna disagree on that, however I feel like that fight was more of a trap than a fight. All those bizarre nen mechanics had only the purpose of distracting Hisoka - by giving him what seems to be an exciting, complex fight - for a long enough time to activate a trap that was actually set up before the fight even started. None of the things Hisoka was obsessing about even mattered. When Hisoka figures out he's been played (seems to be when he expects about 50 clones to appear but instead 200 appear) it devolves into just a pure brawl.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hisoka's good at killing but not so good at destruction, so chrollo set up a situation hisoka was physically incapable of overcoming. his only possible chance of winning that fight would have been to take down chrollo immediately, but that is something hisoka would never do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol nen is a super secret thing but also regular people can go watch fights where clearly impossible stuff happens and you might get murdered unexpectedly