Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Vib Rib posted:

A ton of people around where I live still like it, so it can't be that out of fashion.

It was really popular with zoomers a couple years ago where I live, but it's petering out again now that high waists are back. Of course no one's complaining about black people and their high-rise jeans. Fashion's cyclical, but racism stays the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

None of that poo poo means anything anymore and it's kinda sad and pathetic and not very punk that some old man is trying to force kids to adhere to their 30-40 year old nonsense.

He wasn't trying to enforce an arbitrary fashion statement. He was trying to warn kids they might be in for an rear end beating if the wrong person sees their laces.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, lesbians have never got married either. Ellen and Portia? Who the gently caress are they?

they are george bush jrs bff so they obviously arent married lesbians because how can two married lesbians be bffs with the president who signed doma into law.

:can:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Skwirl posted:

Remember that guy who got dragged for using dog shampoo? He apparently decided to go on Fox.

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1358948065248444417?s=20
saw that first thumbnail and thought "sure, that tracks, he's got poodle hair" before realizing he was the host and remembering the original tweet-through-it guy lmao

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Leavemywife posted:

What did the colored laces mean?

It depended on where you were, but most commonly:

White laces meant white pride
Red laces meant Nazi (but some places communists wore them)
Blue laces meant you claim to have killed a cop (or just hate cops)
Yellow was anti-racist/SHARP
Purple was gay pride

If you didn't want to take a side (or were new enough not to know the scene yet) you just had the black laces that came with the boots originally.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

grittyreboot posted:

He wasn't trying to enforce an arbitrary fashion statement. He was trying to warn kids they might be in for an rear end beating if the wrong person sees their laces.
with about as much adherence as back-pocket bandanas probably but it's been a "thing" for a while.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'd still probably get nervous if I saw a group of white boys with shaved heads and red laces.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

snergle posted:

they are george bush jrs bff so they obviously arent married lesbians because how can two married lesbians be bffs with the president who signed doma into law.

:can:

Bill Clinton signed DOMA into law.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Skwirl posted:

I'd still probably get nervous if I saw a group of white boys with shaved heads and red laces.

Fascists are good enough about outing themselves that you don't have to ruthlessly go after every vague sign of nazi affiliation. Red laces- meh, red laces, shaved head, a big old Punisher logo on his jacket- kick em the gently caress out.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Are checkered laces for something, or can I openly flaunt my ska appreciation?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Brawnfire posted:

Only if you want every other person regardless of laces to wedgie you, nerd

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also the Smollett case is still ongoing because of how badly the Chicago PD hosed up the initial investigation. I'm not sure where the case is at now, I kind of lost track the second time all charges were dropped; he's apparently been charged a third time?

Gee whiz, almost as if there's something extremely suspect in CPD's handling of the case.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OwlFancier posted:

That's literally tom scott in a false beard.

Nah.

The arms give it away.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Brawnfire posted:

We've found the person who the barefoot is legal types can look down on.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Samovar posted:

Gee whiz, almost as if there's something extremely suspect in CPD's handling of the case.

Even if Smollett faked the whole thing (I haven't followed the case since it was hot, but I recall thinking he was telling the truth. Not sure if new stuff has come out) we'll never know the truth thanks to the CPD, like that time the LAPD tried to frame OJ for a crime he absolutely committed and hosed the whole thing up.

Cops bad is my point

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Data Graham posted:

"Your momma wears combat boots", a popular slur from like what, 1948

From an Etymological point of view: As I was told this insult came about because of the proliferation of prostitutes around army bases. And once the deed was done, a lot of these sex workers forgot/lost their shoes in the throes of passion, and so to walk home took the first pair of sturdy footwear available to them, which were army boots. So essentially it means "Your mum's a whore."

But I reckon a simpler explanation is combat = manly. thus wearing combat boots = manly/not ladylike. So it's a simple, (for the times) insult of "Your mum is unfeminine."

Which I think is why the alt-right and trad-wives style regressives use it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

christmas boots posted:

Even if Smollett faked the whole thing (I haven't followed the case since it was hot, but I recall thinking he was telling the truth. Not sure if new stuff has come out) we'll never know the truth thanks to the CPD, like that time the LAPD tried to frame OJ for a crime he absolutely committed and hosed the whole thing up.

Cops bad is my point

Yes, quite.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
my mother was actually in the army reserves so that whole line was very "yeah, so?" to me :shobon:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

grittyreboot posted:

Sixty year old ex-punks shouldn’t be beating up teens for wearing cool laces, imo

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

What're the odds, Steve?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

grittyreboot posted:

But the teens don't care about all that and everyone knows it. They're certainly not giving each other any poo poo about it. And anyone outside their age group who is maybe needs to look in a mirror and figure out who the real rear end in a top hat is. Some kids who just want to personalize their boots, or some middle aged man giving them grief about that.

And besides, I'm not sure anyone anywhere ever got their asses beat just on laces alone. To whatever extent that ever meant anything or was abided by, there would always be plenty of other clues that someone was a nazi aside from white laces.

e: and these days it'll probably be a diverse, mutli-ethnic group with a rainbow of laces between them.

If it's all white boys and they all have the same color laces, well ok maybe treat with caution but they're probably a huge outlier now.

ReidRansom has a new favorite as of 13:58 on Feb 9, 2021

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

And besides, I'm not sure anyone anywhere ever got their asses beat just on laces alone.

How did you skip being a teenager?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

I hit six feet tall in grade 7 or 8. Gives you a hall pass on some of that stuff.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Judging both by how they're portrayed in fiction and from how Americans talk about them, American schools seem absurdly violent to me. And that thing you hear about how male bullies use physical violence and female bullies use more verbal/social tactics? I guess everyone I went to school with must have been a girl, because I saw a lot of the latter type and none of the former.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

snergle posted:

how can two married lesbians be bffs with the president who signed doma into law.

When they have something else in common

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

wizzardstaff posted:

Use a bookmark! :argh:

just fold a corner over

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Tear out the pages you're done reading.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Beartaco posted:

Tear out the pages you're done reading.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And eat them

:chaostrump:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Judging both by how they're portrayed in fiction and from how Americans talk about them, American schools seem absurdly violent to me. And that thing you hear about how male bullies use physical violence and female bullies use more verbal/social tactics? I guess everyone I went to school with must have been a girl, because I saw a lot of the latter type and none of the former.

Are you gay, a woman, or some other kind of minority that faces a good deal of systemic prejudice in your community, because that's going to color how much you see a lot.

But really its the gun violence thing all over again. Every US school is vastly more boring than what shows up in our media. Most schools aren't violent at all with maybe the occasional attempted fist-fight getting broken up really quickly. But some are dealing with significant poverty and violence in the their communities that trickles down into schools, and others end up being small-town/community fiefdoms where sociopathic behavior is overlooked, if not encouraged, by adults who don't want to stop it. If a US person is talking about how rough their school was, and its not because of literal gang activity, its because they were stuck in one of those hellholes.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

there wolf posted:

Are you gay, a woman, or some other kind of minority that faces a good deal of systemic prejudice in your community, because that's going to color how much you see a lot.

But really its the gun violence thing all over again. Every US school is vastly more boring than what shows up in our media. Most schools aren't violent at all with maybe the occasional attempted fist-fight getting broken up really quickly. But some are dealing with significant poverty and violence in the their communities that trickles down into schools, and others end up being small-town/community fiefdoms where sociopathic behavior is overlooked, if not encouraged, by adults who don't want to stop it. If a US person is talking about how rough their school was, and its not because of literal gang activity, its because they were stuck in one of those hellholes.

Also worth noting that the US is a massive country and each state has its own standards and expectations and norms so the education experience you get in New York City is going to be massively different to a small town in Alabama, which in turn is completely unique when compared to a Southern California school. So talking about US education in broad terms is painting a lot of unique situations with the same brush.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Who the gently caress isn’t into a goth or punk chick wearing Doc Martins even for a little bit of their life? :wtc:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some of us want to be that goth/punk chick, for that matter.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
my girlfriend wears Doc Martens while listening to the O Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack, where do I buy sepia laces

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Stiletto heel: for girls who are into fashion
Doc Martens: for girls who are into stomping on me and calling me garbage

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

doc martens and one of Elaine's dresses

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

hawowanlawow posted:

doc martens and one of Elaine's dresses

That, uh, was just the 90s fwiw.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

dialhforhero posted:

Who the gently caress isn’t into a goth or punk chick wearing Doc Martins even for a little bit of their life? :wtc:

or every bit

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Friend's on a posting bender this morning...

A totally real quote from that idiot bartender. PS - please bootstrap your way to a better life.

WORDS

I honestly have no idea if he thinks this is a real screen shot. Pretty sure my mom would know the font is way off and she'd probably even catch the typos.

That last one though was a share of a page from a site I'd never heard of before. Some low rent weird fake right wing facebook?
https://idobbinate.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm confused, is the capitol coup good or bad? I can't keep it straight anymore