Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Oops just "won" a goodwill auction for a metal zone.

I should plug it in with my OG DOD death metal and see if I can get Satan to show up:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012

Thumposaurus posted:

I should plug it in with my OG DOD death metal and see if I can get Satan to show up:black101:

The proper way to summon Satan is to permanently wire them to your guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5H7PSSEWzc

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

utility belt

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Actually owns

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Getting distracted onstage because your inlays are making you too horny.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rigs of newly divorced dad

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
make em big musclebears and i’m in

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Would go great on a dimebag guitar with the sexy lady cami

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

nishi koichi posted:

make em big musclebears and i’m in

Brian Cook (bassist for Russian Circles, Botch, These Arms Are Snakes) beat you to it with his "Bearitone": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfTkHgfS-NU&t=1877s

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is actually clever.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

A Bud Light Rembrandt.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I know this account has been posted before (it's good), but look at this relic job: https://www.instagram.com/p/CK9a3EaMmo1/?igshid=1vel6ku4yhlyd

That's how heavy relic should be. I want one.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

BonHair posted:

I know this account has been posted before (it's good), but look at this relic job: https://www.instagram.com/p/CK9a3EaMmo1/?igshid=1vel6ku4yhlyd

I love it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

BonHair posted:

Now that's a guitar that looks like it's been naturally and lovingly played for 60 years.

The neck on my oldest guitar is only cocked down about half as much as that.

edit: whatever instagram hole that guitar came out of is almost cheating for this thread: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKpFq3KM10i/

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 6, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Eww that bass is left-handed.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Eww that bass is left-handed.

<:mad:>

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

whatever instagram hole that guitar came out of is almost cheating for this thread: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKpFq3KM10i/

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the stupid poo poo today is that the string broke as I was downtuning

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

hexwren posted:

the stupid poo poo today is that the string broke as I was downtuning

I've never even heard of this happening.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Thumposaurus posted:

Try running it straight into your effects return and using it as a preamp. Haven’t personally tried it but it works well here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxRe99Tjlwg

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

sigher posted:

I've never even heard of this happening.

I honestly have no idea how it happened, the only possibility I can think of is that (because the strings were absolutely ancient) that a weak spot developed somewhere in the string at/near the tuner, and as the tuner rotated, the weak spot was exposed to pressure where previously the tension was held on a different part of the string? Or else it just failed where if I hadn't been tuning at the time, it still would have popped anyway?

I have literally no further guesses.

It was the high e and was several years old, so it's kinda a miracle it hadn't exploded at some point previously already.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I've done it after having the string tensioned really high and then releasing the tension quickly. The strings were very old.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

hexwren posted:

It was the high e and was several years old, so it's kinda a miracle it hadn't exploded at some point previously already.

The longest I've gone with old strings is probably close to a year, but man, they feel so nasty I couldn't just leave it them on so I had to replace it. I can't imagine how bad the strings would be with several years of age in them.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Coated strings! Currently on year 3 with the set on my LP. Wipe 'em down before and after playing and they'll stay fresh forever. Maybe not if you're gigging in a smoky bar every night, but for home use they're perfect.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

sigher posted:

The longest I've gone with old strings is probably close to a year, but man, they feel so nasty I couldn't just leave it them on so I had to replace it. I can't imagine how bad the strings would be with several years of age in them.

the guitar has a bigsby, so changing strings is often a gigantic asspain. this time, I got one of those plates you can string through instead of having to wrap the strings around the barrel at the base of the trem, so that's helped quite a bit, but I'll be honest, yeah, the strings get nasty in some kind of academic sense, but I can't tell much of any difference when I actually put my hands on them.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lester Shy posted:

Coated strings! Currently on year 3 with the set on my LP. Wipe 'em down before and after playing and they'll stay fresh forever. Maybe not if you're gigging in a smoky bar every night, but for home use they're perfect.

I just changed the flats on my home build strat after a little over a year more out of boredom than anything else. Heavy flats rule, once you get over the feeling if playing with bridge cables.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Don't know if it's stupid or just frightening, but this is apparently a legit spalted maple top FireFly 338 someone received.

They posted other pics and it is real, so far as it being on the top that way. Some kind of Furby-Predator-Pokemon-owl-demon.

I've seen some nice patterns, but that seems too insane to be real and for it to have left the factory that way.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

That's insane. I know people usually pay good money for figuring like that, but "horrifying frowning dog" is not the vibe I'm looking for in a jazz box.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

It looks like a CT of a shattered pelvis

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Predator with gene issues.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Demon popcorn guitar

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Isn’t it a photo laminate?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

https://www.metalsucks.net/2021/02/09/this-dude-built-a-guitar-out-of-his-dead-uncles-skeleton/

What guitar do YOU want built out of your mortal remains?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Isn’t it a photo laminate?

From what I've read from the people "in the know" in the Firefly group it is a real veneer, and for the last batch they were way more picky with their supplier, so there are more "weird" ones. Like this one, also from the latest batch.

Cthulu?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Alright I smiled at putting Filip Skelecaster on the headstock

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Henry Kaiser being almost normal through a whole song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccIj7N-1dpg

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Ah, Henry Kaiser, Musical Willful Ignorance elemental. "Learning stuff just, like, puts you in a box, maaan."
Every single time he plays it sounds like literally the first time he's ever touched an instrument.

edit: of course he totally ruins the vibe of the song the instant he becomes audible.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Old Man Beato is mad at technology again.

GreatGreen posted:

Ah, Henry Kaiser, Musical Willful Ignorance elemental. "Learning stuff just, like, puts you in a box, maaan."
Every single time he plays it sounds like literally the first time he's ever touched an instrument.

edit: of course he totally ruins the vibe of the song the instant he becomes audible.

Is that his thing? I didn't know he was anti-intellectual. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

No idea who Kaiser is, but I've always hated that attitude. Maybe it's useful if you're going blind from studying baroque composition for 12 hours a day, but it's often handed down to beginning musicians as a way to make musicianship seem a lot more mystical than it really is.

I have an acquaintance who totally buys into that idea and makes some of the most unlistenable poo poo I've ever heard. Notably, none of the music he makes sounds anything like the music he actually listens to.