Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

brugroffil posted:

Illinois continues to take weekends off

Dose numbers from last week looking a lot more promising than previously, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I would have happily voted for Pawar but he dropped out before the election.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I took my mom for her first COVID shot Thursday at the Morton High School location, missed Preckwinkle and Pritzker there for their photo op by an hour. I didn’t go in, but my my mom said this much publicized mass vaccination site, complete with a national guard presence, had 3 staff checking in and 2 giving shots. Some people may have been on break after the big visit, but it hardly seemed “mass.” I don’t think there was any way she could have figured out how to get an appointment that quick as a 1B, but my quixotic quest to get a PS5 gave me enough practice waiting to pounce on things. Good thing they schedule your 2nd appointment right then.

Got my 2nd shot in Munster IN and they had 6 staff checking people in and more than that giving the shots.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Watching shifting goal posts is amazing:

Since August, people have been clamoring and complaining about not having sports in schools. Hell, people have been taking their kids to Indiana, Missouri and Wisconsin to play sports like basketball. This is apparently going to destroy these kids because Illinois won’t let them play and now parents have to go to “underground” basketball games (yes, I saw someone use that term when talking about his 7th grade daughter playing basketball in Indiana).

Now IDPH and IHSA/IESA have came up with a shortened schedule for sports. You would think that these parents and state representatives would be over the moon excited but all of their posts are about how it does not feel the same because there are no fans and “how can these kids play when there are not packed seats cheering them on.

Having coached basketball several years ago, it is really irritating to watch parents be willing to risk their kids future for the parents living through them.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Most coaches, refs, and generally anyone involved who is not a parent, would absolutely love to have games with no fans.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
As a former student athlete I would have loved for there to be no parents in the stands.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I hope every single one of the 'open'r up' people are antivaxxers and loving die of covid.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It's just not fatal enough, unfortunately.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Watching shifting goal posts is amazing:

Since August, people have been clamoring and complaining about not having sports in schools. Hell, people have been taking their kids to Indiana, Missouri and Wisconsin to play sports like basketball. This is apparently going to destroy these kids because Illinois won’t let them play and now parents have to go to “underground” basketball games (yes, I saw someone use that term when talking about his 7th grade daughter playing basketball in Indiana).

Now IDPH and IHSA/IESA have came up with a shortened schedule for sports. You would think that these parents and state representatives would be over the moon excited but all of their posts are about how it does not feel the same because there are no fans and “how can these kids play when there are not packed seats cheering them on.

Having coached basketball several years ago, it is really irritating to watch parents be willing to risk their kids future for the parents living through them.

I live in Iowa and work as a contact tracer and since the beginning of the winter sports season the biggest cause of people having to quarantine is high school athletics. Most schools in the county have had at least one team have to quarantine for 2 weeks, and there was one instance of spread in a wrestling tournament that housed 8 different schools! Even without spectators that's an absolutely insane thing to be doing. At least Football was outside, there's no way that basketball or wrestling are not gonna be responsible for huge numbers of people having to quarantine or testing positive.

it's just another example of people talking out of both sides of their mouth. It's important to get kids back into schools because so many kids are having their educations hampered and those teachers should just shut up and teach, but also we have to have sports open because sports! even though they're the leading cause of kids having to return to online education when one person tests positive and everyone else has to stay home.

it's frustrating because there's a subset of people who have been saying "we need to make sure that schools are open and that needs to be our number one priority" since like, April, and they're all right but around July when governments had the chance to actually make schools being open the number one priority" they were too concerned with the economy and once it was too late they tried to act like they could still make schools a top priority long after that train had left the station. This year is most likely going to be a wash for a majority of American students and there's nothing we can do at this point to fix that but we can still act to make sure that next year won't be, and to try and compensate for this whole hosed up year somehow. I'm kind of jealous of you all, you at least have a governor that doesn't seem to have a death quota he needs to make, unlike our leader here across the river.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

I live in Iowa and work as a contact tracer and since the beginning of the winter sports season the biggest cause of people having to quarantine is high school athletics. Most schools in the county have had at least one team have to quarantine for 2 weeks, and there was one instance of spread in a wrestling tournament that housed 8 different schools! Even without spectators that's an absolutely insane thing to be doing. At least Football was outside, there's no way that basketball or wrestling are not gonna be responsible for huge numbers of people having to quarantine or testing positive.

it's just another example of people talking out of both sides of their mouth. It's important to get kids back into schools because so many kids are having their educations hampered and those teachers should just shut up and teach, but also we have to have sports open because sports! even though they're the leading cause of kids having to return to online education when one person tests positive and everyone else has to stay home.

it's frustrating because there's a subset of people who have been saying "we need to make sure that schools are open and that needs to be our number one priority" since like, April, and they're all right but around July when governments had the chance to actually make schools being open the number one priority" they were too concerned with the economy and once it was too late they tried to act like they could still make schools a top priority long after that train had left the station. This year is most likely going to be a wash for a majority of American students and there's nothing we can do at this point to fix that but we can still act to make sure that next year won't be, and to try and compensate for this whole hosed up year somehow. I'm kind of jealous of you all, you at least have a governor that doesn't seem to have a death quota he needs to make, unlike our leader here across the river.

Unfortunately being surrounded by death cultists has led to all these 'open'r'up'ers going to your lovely disease-ridden states for sports tournaments and bringing their poo poo back home to reinfect everyone (along with bragging about dining out in Kentucky/skiing in Wisconsin/bar-hopping and prom-having in Indiana) We are just surrounded by bugchasers as well as inundated by Karens in the suburbs who are all about how little Braedyn/Caedyn/Jaedyn just HAS to be able to see their FRIENDS and COMPETE because how else will they be able to lie about belonging to that rowing team on their college application so we can bribe the coach to let him in on an athletic exemption for lovely grades get that sports scholarship to college!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

The town I teach in had a community meeting about the new ISBE rules concerning culturally responsive teaching. It went as well as can be expected (read thread for how my local reps do not understand how public/private education works).

https://twitter.com/MarkMaxwellTV/status/1358932870245601287?s=20

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/MarkMaxwellTV/status/1358935195597103106?s=20

:psypop:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

It would be so tempting to just allow them the ability to shoot themselves in the foot that they so desperately desire...

How well do you think a bill would do in the general assembly that allows individual county governments to vote on whether or not their taxes are spent solely within the county but in return its the only money they get from the state? How many suckers downstate would vote to slit their own throats on the premise that they pay for Chicago’s everything, do you think?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Oracle posted:

It would be so tempting to just allow them the ability to shoot themselves in the foot that they so desperately desire...

How well do you think a bill would do in the general assembly that allows individual county governments to vote on whether or not their taxes are spent solely within the county but in return its the only money they get from the state? How many suckers downstate would vote to slit their own throats on the premise that they pay for Chicago’s everything, do you think?

I think you'd definitely see a few counties essentially try to be independent from the rest of the state like that. Problem is that when everything falls apart, the rest of us now have to pick up the pieces for them.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Oracle posted:

Forget about downstate, under such a law just have Cook and the beltway counties to vote yes and watch most of the rest of Illinois howl as their money faucet dries up. After all, if given the option why would we continue to be a punching bag for the rest of the state?

Geshtal fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 9, 2021

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think you'd definitely see a few counties essentially try to be independent from the rest of the state like that. Problem is that when everything falls apart, the rest of us now have to pick up the pieces for them.

Be worth it for them to come crawling back, IMHO. Imagine the concessions you could require.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about a campaign to get companies to run fiber internet to homes in these communities as an incentive the new generation of permanent telecommuters to move to them? Assuming most of them come from Chicago and are left leaning, they can eventually flip areas blue.

It's a long play but should work, right?? :v:

Kind of how Chicago has tended to flip the politics of the counties surrounding the city, but intentionally weaponized.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

xzzy posted:

How about a campaign to get companies to run fiber internet to homes in these communities as an incentive the new generation of permanent telecommuters to move to them? Assuming most of them come from Chicago and are left leaning, they can eventually flip areas blue.

Kind of how Chicago has tended to flip the politics of the counties surrounding the city, but intentionally weaponized.

Well I think that should be a focus nationwide. I know an issue with a lot of businesses now is the lack of good internet options in a lot of areas.

A big problem of it is that much of the internet in this country is handled by private companies, especially in the “last mile”. It doesn’t matter how much money you give them, they will not invest in rural or poor areas because there is no money to be made there. It needs to be a public/municipal project

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

xzzy posted:

It might make people who are already scared of urban life move to a place where they become more isolated and susceptible to right-wing propaganda.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I teach in the same area as Kanyon does. I explain the money flow situation and they sort of crack/ping. They cannot wrap their minds around the fact that Chicago is the financial center of Illinois.

I do realize the students are just parroting what they hear from home and that they are in school to learn things like this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

It might make people who are already scared of urban life move to a place where they become more isolated and susceptible to right-wing propaganda.

That's been the trend of the internet so far, getting it installed in rural homes makes people even more right wing.

But throw a pandemic into the mix where everyone is scared of proximity to anyone else and business has been forced to rethink keeping offices and maybe there's opportunity there. Left thinking correlates with education level so if one were to spread out the educated folks, it's gotta help long term, right?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It would be nice to have all these white leftists in Albany Park to go back to their swing district suburbs and volunteer there instead of knocking on straight D voters doors with bad or no Spanish.

That would get rid of Oberweis forever.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

The X-man cometh posted:

It would be nice to have all these white leftists in Albany Park to go back to their swing district suburbs and volunteer there instead of knocking on straight D voters doors with bad or no Spanish.

That would get rid of Oberweis forever.

Keep oberweis around forever imo, why risk a republican who might actually win?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Pontius Pilate posted:

Because he actually did win in a state district and we shouldn't take the chance of enough stupid people coming together like that again!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Pontius Pilate posted:

He came really goddamn close this time, please no

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ChiAlderwoman/status/1359946073305972737

crossposting but apparently joe moore is out here shilling for hindu fascists for some reason

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/ChiAlderwoman/status/1359946073305972737

crossposting but apparently joe moore is out here shilling for hindu fascists for some reason

How much of Devon Ave. is in the 49th ward? Is he lining up single-issue voters for a rematch?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The X-man cometh posted:

How much of Devon Ave. is in the 49th ward? Is he lining up single-issue voters for a rematch?

Devon from Greenview to the lake, but only the north side.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Devon is that big Orthodox community?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Devon Avenue functions as a commercial corridor that has a ton of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi restaurants and businesses, and the surrounding communities have large IndoPak populations, including immigrants.

It's diverse enough that I have no clue which position on Kashmir, if any, would be politically advantageous.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

In Texas a lot of the Indian immigrants are pro-Modi but they’re also mostly wealthy, don’t know if that is true for the ones in the Devon area

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i've seen large pro-modi rallies all over the country at this point

this is the clown who made it to the general election against ro khanna, for one

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Yes, I'm sure there have been. However national politics related to Kashmir do not necessarily reflect politics related to Kashmir in Chicago's 49th ward, especially since there is a large Pakistani population there that might have different views on the topic than the Indian population, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were also substantial Kashmiri immigrants who have their own views.

Given that the 49th ward alderman is spearheading it, and is trying to paint her former opponent as against it (is there another source for that btw?) - the 49th ward playing the same as national efforts is probably not a safe assumption to make.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My candidate just got her opponent thrown off the ballot and she is now running unopposed :toot: Her (former) opponent was township clerk, so the whole "failing basic paperwork" thing is especially funny.

https://twitter.com/WGLTNews/status/1360349000751321088?s=19

Dunno how many more treasurer duties there'll be this campaign cycle. Sarah's money can now go to help the other candidates.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

My candidate just got her opponent thrown off the ballot and she is now running unopposed :toot: Her (former) opponent was township clerk, so the whole "failing basic paperwork" thing is especially funny.

https://twitter.com/WGLTNews/status/1360349000751321088?s=19

Dunno how many more treasurer duties there'll be this campaign cycle. Sarah's money can now go to help the other candidates.

EL OH EL.

God I love Illinois politics sometimes.

It really does kind of go to show you just how many local pols are in office through sheer inertia though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Oracle posted:

EL OH EL.

God I love Illinois politics sometimes.

It really does kind of go to show you just how many local pols are in office through sheer inertia though.
Yup! Two Republicans, including one for a major position, just wiped out because they couldn't even get the filings right.

Unfortunately, I think our mayor is gonna get smoked. He's a decent guy but won absolutely no friends at all with his mushy Covid19 response. That's after winning by a whole 14 votes 4 years ago in an otherwise blue wave.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Also, if you're a fatty (like myself and probably you, you goon) and don't live in Chicago/Cook County, vaccine enrollment opens for us on Feb 25th as part of an extended 1B group.

Be sure to use those finely-honed goon :f5: skills to get your place in line.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

dwarf74 posted:

Also, if you're a fatty (like myself and probably you, you goon) and don't live in Chicago/Cook County, vaccine enrollment opens for us on Feb 25th as part of an extended 1B group.

Be sure to use those finely-honed goon :f5: skills to get your place in line.

I'm getting graphics card :f5: ptsd flashbacks already. Is there any chance we can pre-order an appointment now?

Also everyone I've heard from to who's gotten a vaccine under 1B has been able to go anywhere in the state, regardless of residence. I know a couple Rockford folks went down to Decatur (!) for their first shot but have the second appointment booked back in Rockford.

E: these were all through Walgreens, YMMV

FBS fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 15, 2021

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

FBS posted:

I'm getting graphics card :f5: ptsd flashbacks already. Is there any chance we can pre-order an appointment now?

Also everyone I've heard from to who's gotten a vaccine under 1B has been able to go anywhere in the state, regardless of residence. I know a couple Rockford folks went down to Decatur (!) for their first shot but have the second appointment booked back in Rockford.

Like everything else about this hosed up rollout, it depends. Some places will turn you away if you don't live in the county, and ask for a driver's license to prove it. Others will do this unless you work in the county in question. Private vaccine sites don't seem to give a drat and will stick a shot in your arm regardless. Local health dept-run sites seem a bit more strict. Hospitals want you to use their in-house website/app for making appointments.

Its just such a freakin crapshoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FBS posted:

E: these were all through Walgreens, YMMV
Walgreens looks to be a 3-day minimum.

This whole rollout is such a gigantic loving mess. I'm imagining a competent federal response with a network of cooperating pharmacies, etc. But lmao @ Trump admin doing anything so sensible.