Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

Nonononono. I do not trust dolphins. This would be like turning the corner and running into a hippo.

I mean don't trust dolphins, but that's a lot worse than a dolphin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Killer whale, on the prowl.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Aramoro posted:

I mean don't trust dolphins, but that's a lot worse than a dolphin.

You don't hear more about dolphins because they don't leave witnesses.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Aren't orcas huge motherfuckers? Like kill baby whales and leave the mother completely alone and bereft levels of motherfucker?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

“Curious” they say, as the paddle boarder is gently hunted.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I got freaked out the last time I did that and saw a huge snapping turtle. I would have legit poo poo my pants if that happened.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"Killer Whales" is their common name but Orcas are the largest species of dolphin

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

null_pointer posted:

Aren't orcas huge motherfuckers? Like kill baby whales and leave the mother completely alone and bereft levels of motherfucker?

They like to torture seals to death by taking them to do water and smacking then through the air with their tails over and over.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If a drat Orca started following me on a paddle board, my rear end would make a bee line to the nearest land and pray the entire way.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Not a GIF but since we're talking about orcas interacting with people, this is incredible footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTIcQMwYC1o

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I also find this orca footage really touching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02VJXEz6M5c

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Orcas are very unlikely to attack a human, but the danger lies in their curiosity and bulk. They may want to play with the person, but end up smashing them unintentionally. Or they may want to show the person their underwater kingdom, and then gently take the person in their mouth and take them down 200 feet.

Most deaths of humans from Orcas have been because the person drowned while the orca played with them, rather than a direct attack.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Xarbala posted:

I thought the exact opposite was true

Beavers are technically fish because the local bishops got tired of French-Canadian furtrappers either starving themselves during Lent because there was gently caress all fish around them or sinning constantly.

It's the same reason you can eat capybaras and gator.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Orcas are very unlikely to attack a human, but the danger lies in their curiosity and bulk. They may want to play with the person, but end up smashing them unintentionally. Or they may want to show the person their underwater kingdom, and then gently take the person in their mouth and take them down 200 feet.

Most deaths of humans from Orcas have been because the person drowned while the orca played with them, rather than a direct attack.

I thought all fatal orca incidents happened in captivity. I might be wrong though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought all fatal orca incidents happened in captivity. I might be wrong though.

Correct, according to this. There is only one recorded instance of a killer whale actually biting a human, and it was not fatal. All the other incidents are mischief getting a little out of hand but no one has ever died to a wild killer whale.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well yeah why do you think they're called killer whales, it's because they're really good at hiding the evidence otherwise they would get caught and couldn't kill any more.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I used to have some really old Life photojournals, from before orcas were studied or held in captivity.

The photographer describes orcas popping through the arctic ice "in an attempt to savage and kill he and his fellow travellers". When clearly the orcas were just spy-hopping, to check out what those silly two-legged ice walkers were up to.

There's also a section that describes the author's enjoyment of studying sharks, but that in the end, they should probably all be wiped out for the safety of mankind.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
'Killer Whale' is actually a case of poor translation of old-fashioned names. The more accurate would be 'Whale killer'.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I agree. Sharks as a concept are played out. They've been around for how long now? Like two hundred years? About time we get an upgrade.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are Orcas smooth though?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Are Orcas smooth though?

No it’s sharks that are super smooth. Here’s a closeup of Orca skin:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cartoon Man posted:

No it’s sharks that are super smooth. Here’s a closeup of Orca skin:

Apparently, the whole drat thing is made of teeth.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"Orca" is derived from the Latin word "orthrocra" which means many teeth, so that makes sense.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I choose to believe they know exactly what they're doing as they "play"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Halman posted:

I choose to believe they know exactly what they're doing as they "play"

Maybe, but if they did want to kill you, they could easily just chomp your rear end in one bite. Think of all the effort they go through to chase a fish, or beach themselves at the small chance to get seal. Humans would be like fast food for them, if they truly wanted to hunt us. Just imagine this fucker coming at you while you sunbathed in the shallows.

"Oh what, the water is 4 inches deep and I weigh 3000 pounds? gently caress YOU, DON'T CARE."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Or they may want to show the person their underwater kingdom, and then gently take the person in their mouth and take them down 200 feet.

The idea of an orca seeing a human and thinking “HOLY poo poo FELLOW MAMMAL YOU HAVE GOT TO SEE THIS poo poo COME CHECK THIS OUT” and accidentally drowning them is equal parts :3: and :stonklol:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MrYenko posted:

The idea of an orca seeing a human and thinking “HOLY poo poo FELLOW MAMMAL YOU HAVE GOT TO SEE THIS poo poo COME CHECK THIS OUT” and accidentally drowning them is equal parts :3: and :stonklol:

It's happened before. There was actually a famous case a while back caught on film. A lady and a pilot whale were swimming around together, perfectly pleasant. The pilot whale seemed very curious with the women, but was very placid. Then all of a sudden it lunged at the woman, grabbing her leg. It seems like an attack, but from what I recall the woman had no puncture wounds at all, so the despite the roughness the whale was clearly not trying to harm her. It let her go, but then shortly after it grabbed her again, and then dove down. It went down about 25-50 feet, and then at some point seemed to realize the woman was having none of it, and took her back to the surface, all with her leg in it's mouth the whole time, with no puncture wounds. Who know what the whale was thinking, but it seemed just like rough play, considering it could have torn her apart if it chose to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D47wdwwYo94&t=367s

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

mobby_6kl posted:

Are Orcas smooth though?

Smooth as heck, plus they can blow raspberries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtpgzumBi_M

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Smooth as heck, plus they can blow raspberries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtpgzumBi_M

Luna was depressed as gently caress, and while "imitating" a boat noise, got sucked into a boat propeller and killed theyself.

It was a tugboat too, and they're engines are so powerful that apparently they Polytron'd her, and there was nothing left to recover at all.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Luna was depressed as gently caress, and while "imitating" a boat noise, got sucked into a boat propeller and killed theyself.

It was a tugboat too, and they're engines are so powerful that apparently they Polytron'd her, and there was nothing left to recover at all.

Dolphinately not the way I want to go

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Jabberlock posted:

Dolphinately not the way I want to go

You did that on porpoise

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Sharks; smooth as hell

Orcas; rough as hell. Ouch

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's happened before. There was actually a famous case a while back caught on film. A lady and a pilot whale were swimming around together, perfectly pleasant. The pilot whale seemed very curious with the women, but was very placid. Then all of a sudden it lunged at the woman, grabbing her leg. It seems like an attack, but from what I recall the woman had no puncture wounds at all, so the despite the roughness the whale was clearly not trying to harm her. It let her go, but then shortly after it grabbed her again, and then dove down. It went down about 25-50 feet, and then at some point seemed to realize the woman was having none of it, and took her back to the surface, all with her leg in it's mouth the whole time, with no puncture wounds. Who know what the whale was thinking, but it seemed just like rough play, considering it could have torn her apart if it chose to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D47wdwwYo94&t=367s

That’s some Of Mice and Men poo poo right there

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would probably have enjoyed that book more if lenny was a large whale, rest of the plot remains unchanged.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Good verbing of a noun there.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I agree. Sharks as a concept are played out. They've been around for how long now? Like two hundred years? About time we get an upgrade.

Are you sure about that?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Radio Paranoia posted:

Are you sure about that?

The classic "give them legs but no way to breathe on land" prank

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

The classic "give them legs but no way to breathe on land" prank

Arachnids breathe passively, through something called "book lungs", which are open slits along the abdomen, as well as through things called spiracles, which are just more holes

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

ante posted:

Arachnids breathe passively, through something called "book lungs", which are open slits along the abdomen, as well as through things called spiracles, which are just more holes

Yeah that poo poo don't work once you get more than like a foot in size, it would be as effective as the gills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY