Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

My 6 year old just told me she has "an idea for a show called Dog Trek, to boldly pee where no dog has peed before. It's basically Star Trek but all dogs"

I would watch the poo poo out of that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

my 3-year-old was on an electronics break, and she came up to me to ask to play with the switch again.

me : we're on a break from electronics now, remember?

her: yes, but i'm cute, and i love you! *flashes wide, confident grin*

it didn't work, but lol dammit she knows that being cute gets her poo poo

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
UGGHHHHHHH

she flipped the teacher off after refusing to do her work

i've let things get way too lax and hands off lately and i think i need to institute some serious rules about screen time

do any of you have an example screen time schedule you'd like to share?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Flavius Aetass posted:

UGGHHHHHHH

i've let things get way too lax and hands off lately and i think i need to institute some serious rules about screen time

we're in the middle of that too and no, i don't have any good suggestions

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Flavius Aetass posted:

UGGHHHHHHH

We had kind of let the screen time rules go out the window because the weather is poo poo here for three months out of the year and covid and stuff, but then my kids started giving us a hard time when it was time for dinner etc and we saw some weird behavior changes.

Around Christmas we had a family meeting and the kids all had their own ideas of screen time but I kinda scammed them. The deal we agreed to was that they could have screen time from the official sunset to bedtime as long as homework is done. (Except for dinner) Little do they know that in a couple of months they will have like 20 minutes. (But they can go play outside)

We have also found that leading by example is key. When my daughter was like 3 she was babbling about what mommies and daddies do and she was like "daddies look at their phone" and I was like "oh gently caress" so deleted twitter and a few other apps.

Last thought I have is that there is social and anti-social screen time. Watching shows that everyone likes, or even youtubers and playing videogames can be a pretty good bonding experience. I gotta admit that watching my kid grinding away in minecraft is not the most compelling thing but with a little effort I can engage with him and keep a conversation going about what he's doing and what he's interested in and I try to introduce them to things I think they'll like that I also like so it doesn't become a chore.

At the end of the day the goal isn't just to reduce screen time but to mitigate the opportunity cost it has that can displace the development of other social and personal skills.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

My message to my kids re:schooling is 'get your work done, beyond that I don't care if you turn the camera off and read comic books all day'

We were also forced to have some frank discussions about one of their teachers who was completely incompetent at teaching, interacting with children and using a computer simultaneously. I think acknowledging that, yes this man is an idiot but you still have to do your homework, helped a lot. It put us all on the same 'side' instead of fighting about remote school.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Flavius Aetass posted:

UGGHHHHHHH

guess all about setting limits, use timers, maybe use screen time restrictions if it's on an iOS device

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar

Flavius Aetass posted:

UGGHHHHHHH

my rules as of late are "gently caress it yes you can watch tv and play games on your tablet I just need to get work done", BUT, for a bit I did set up some parental controls on the Switch to limit time, and if either of my girls were on a screen, I'd set the timer on my stove and turn things off when it went off. From there, I hid the remote and changed passwords on devices to stop access. think that lasted like.. a day, so good luck!

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I guess we've lucked out, we don't regulate the kids screen time, she does it herself. She will spend like 20 minutes on her tablet, then put it down and find some toys to play with.

Also I'm gonna have a real hard time being mad if my kid flips off a teacher. I'm gonna laugh my rear end off for sure.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for all the advice :)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Obviously it's super early for me but I'm always taking mental notes and poo poo for this kind of thing so I appreciate the help too

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
one thing I wish I did early was get my kids set up with their own play computer so they could practice typing since it helps with spelling, letter retention and eye/hand skills. I even bought a kid keyboard with oversized keys at one point but now they both have grown accustomed to touching screens but they're both getting better with touch-typing the keyboard that pops up.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Louisgod posted:

one thing I wish I did early was get my kids set up with their own play computer so they could practice typing since it helps with spelling, letter retention and eye/hand skills. I even bought a kid keyboard with oversized keys at one point but now they both have grown accustomed to touching screens but they're both getting better with touch-typing the keyboard that pops up.

I think these days you can get either like those new raspberry pi keyboard all in ones(like the old c64s) or have guest mode login. My kid gets into guest mode and can press all of the secret delete your files key combos and we're safe.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

well my kid just solved covid i suppose, she told me that she's going to put white blood cells in the air and then shoot bubbles out to mix in the air to make the coronavirus say," i don't want this " and leave. So we just have to vaccinate the air.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Now teach her about chemtrails.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Past the two week mark this Satuday and she has been sleeping remarkably well - she can go for hours at a time, wakes up, gets diaper change, fed, and immediately falls back to sleep

Well, with the exception of last night where she decided she was a night owl like her dad. She had an exciting day with her doctor taking care of her being tongue tied which should help her with breastfeeding

Currently got her wrapped in a sling on my chest and she is fast asleep :3:

also

oxsnard posted:

do you have a baby carrier yet that is designed for newborns?

if not, this one is great https://ergobaby.com/omni-mesh-pearl-grey

turns out we have this exact one and I'm wearing it now and we have another one by the same company for when she gets older :lol:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

babies love the front pack, put a nice uv protection hat on them (well my kid is very fair skinned with family history of skin cancer)and take a walk around. let them see the world.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Oh my dear god I just said verbatim "that's not even music!"

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Good soup! posted:

Past the two week mark this Satuday and she has been sleeping remarkably well - she can go for hours at a time, wakes up, gets diaper change, fed, and immediately falls back to sleep

Well, with the exception of last night where she decided she was a night owl like her dad. She had an exciting day with her doctor taking care of her being tongue tied which should help her with breastfeeding

also

turns out we have this exact one and I'm wearing it now and we have another one by the same company for when she gets older :lol:

awesome news, just prepare yourself for the screaming for hours on end phase lol

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

WE HAVE A WALKER

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Hope you got some obsidian blades around...

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
this is an amazing series of videos, watch in order

https://www.tiktok.com/@failing_full_circle/video/6916957885469592837

https://www.tiktok.com/@failing_full_circle/video/6917025876211256582

https://www.tiktok.com/@failing_full_circle/video/6926704078189808902

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I think part of the stairs got damaged there. I use mine in the basement with the water filter to suck up all the water after heavy rain.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

sonatinas posted:

I think part of the stairs got damaged there. I use mine in the basement with the water filter to suck up all the water after heavy rain.

nah you can see that damage was already there but the dog is covering most of it up

good tiktoks

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
i like the shitshow sign above her door, she seems cool af

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Good soup! posted:

also

makes me miss that age. very precious time. good luck dude

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Are anti-peer pressure campaigns just a way of suppressing democratic instincts in our children?

My daughter was watching a video for school where a bunch a kids are like I've NEVER peer pressured anyone (BULLSHIT) and talking about how people who use peer pressure are bad and selfish etc etc.

What is democracy if not peer pressure? A group majority decides on norms that are then imposed on the whole. That's peer pressure, god drat it. That's democracy. That's how it works!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

it’s just an euphemism for advocating bad choices I would think

need a kid illustrated version with rhymes of “the prince” and “state and revolution” to get my kid on some real next level peer pressure

she’s got to immediately list sharp reasons why the others are distorting the truth and follow her true ways

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Are anti-peer pressure campaigns just a way of suppressing democratic instincts in our children?

no

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

sonatinas posted:

it’s just an euphemism for advocating bad choices I would think

Why are we marketing that as peer pressure? Any attempt to influence members of your peer group is peer pressure, but we only call it peer pressure when it's in a bad direction?

And by doing so, we declare by default that any instance of peer pressure is bad, even though it's a neutral concept.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
not peer pressure: DO SOMETHING

peer pressure: c'mon jack

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I normally swear by everything from Costco but their loving diapers suck rear end, what the gently caress, no matter how you wrap your baby these shits loving leak and lead to constant blowouts

gently caress you kirkland (for probably the first time ever)

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
lol that sucks. HEB diapers never did me wrong

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Good soup! posted:

I normally swear by everything from Costco but their loving diapers suck rear end, what the gently caress, no matter how you wrap your baby these shits loving leak and lead to constant blowouts

Opposite for me, got some fancy frou-frou diapers from family friends that sucked and leaked constantly and Kirkland have been great.

I read that Huggies have better blowout protection and are otherwise identical tho so I may give them a shot.

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
One of my favorite memories of my son, who is only 6 now, is that he had significant reflux at first and when he learned to roll he would leave a trail of slime behind him like a snail. His reflux resolved completely at like 2. But one day I followed a trail of barf around the house and found him halfway up the goddam steps. And that’s how I learned that he had become capable of climbing steps , when all I thought he could do was roll laterally . Just about poo poo my pants

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Good soup! posted:

ALDI diapers are good value imo

we’re almost out of diapers, just some goodnights for sleep, can’t wait

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
yeah we just did the "almost out of diapers so let's try it out"

we are on night three. the first night was incident-free but the other two have been a disaster.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

we’ll probably try that when it gets warmer, we got the potty pads ready

a friends kid got it sorted by like age 2-3 and I’m like mother fucker

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah I'm going back to the huggies which fortunately we also get at Costco and the price lately hasn't been too different

I feel dirty for choosing any brand over Kirkland but you can't win em all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

sonatinas posted:

we’ll probably try that when it gets warmer, we got the potty pads ready

a friends kid got it sorted by like age 2-3 and I’m like mother fucker

eh all kids are different. some kids can't stand a swampy diaper and others will just stew in it and not care.

one thing that helps is to do a double up of layers:

1) fitted sheet

2) mattress protector

3) another fitted sheet

4) mattress protector

this was when the kid pisses the bed in the middle of the night you can change them and then just tear off the top layer and put them back down without having to actually do the whole sheet change dance at 2 AM.