Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gavok posted:

IT'S STIIIIIIIIING!

Would that make the Suicide Squad version Darby Allin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Davros1 posted:

I'm not the biggest Darby fan, but he's not THAT bad.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Tazz is old Batman, Cage is Grayson, Starks is Todd and hook is Damien. Yup it’s all there.

E: Oops my bad Stahks is Jason Todd

A talking coyote fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 9, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SonicRulez posted:

I would be thrilled if we could put that Joker back in the box, but I don't think it's possible.

A big chance for Snyder to swerve us all that when Batman goes to find out whatever from Joker Joker reveals his big plan involves the Joker fish and ruining Commissioner Gordon's birthday.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

A talking coyote posted:

Tazz is old Batman, Cage is Grayson, Starks is Todd and hook is Damien. Yup it’s all there.

Leyla Hirsch is one of the Batgirls then?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Davros1 posted:

The villain of the new Batman movie ends up being a skateboarding Two-Face.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Alhazred posted:

Probably the first and only instance of Disney using their powers for good instead of evil.

haven't read the comic, what's so bad about Nimona?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Nimona is a great comic, I have no idea what that poster is on about.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

A talking coyote posted:

I'm imagining Cage in Burt Ward's Robin costume and it's hiliarious

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I liked the Peanuts film. :(

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

JordanKai posted:

I liked the Peanuts film. :(

I enjoyed it too.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think the Joker looks alright, without any previous context I'd be like "yeah, cool". But I really wasn't a fan of Leto's performance and also can't see him being in more than a scene or two so must temper my expectations somewhat.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Leto and Amber Heard continuing to be cast is the worst thing the DC movies imo.

I'm inclined to give all the directors working on it the benefit of the doubt that it's a Warner Bros/Contract nonsense as with Marvel continuing to give Jeremy Renner work.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm very sure Leto has it in his contract that he be included in...a film that he wasn't originally in...when that film eventually failed and got revisited for a director's cut with extra scenes?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

I'm very sure Leto has it in his contract that he be included in...a film that he wasn't originally in...when that film eventually failed and got revisited for a director's cut with extra scenes?

If Snyder wants to use the Joker he has to use Leto regardless. He immediately recast a sex past in Army of the Dead with Tig Notaro, so I'm inclined he's just in the situation that many Marvel directors are in with the terrible people playing characters in their movies that they want to use.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I have no idea how the contracts work, but they've already had another Joker since Leto. I don't know if they have any obligation to bring back Leto if they want to use the Joker.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If they didn't want to use Leto I'm sure they'd find a way to break any contract they had.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Karloff posted:

I have no idea how the contracts work, but they've already had another Joker since Leto. I don't know if they have any obligation to bring back Leto if they want to use the Joker.

That was specifically billed as not being part of the DCEU though.

As I said, I'm just giving the benefit of the doubt, same as I give the directors of Hawkeye that that they probably can't recast Jeremy Renner no matter how much they might want to.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Jeremy Renner was announced for the Hawkeye series long before any hints about his shittiness had surfaced; I don't think it's weird to assume there were some protections for his role as the leading character in place at that point. Or maybe Disney are just lovely enablers that didn't want to scrap their plans. Either case is possible.

I find it difficult to believe that Leto is contractually guaranteed to appear in a film that he wasn't even originally in, and the implication of that is Snyder knew he would have no choice but to use Leto if he decided to shove the Joker into Justice League...and then did it anyway. I mean, I'm sure we can dream up all kinds of imaginary scenarios where this doesn't make Snyder look bad, but hey.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I mean you could just... not use Joker. I highly doubt his scene is going to add anything to an already overstuffed 4-hour affair.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Does JL even count as part of the dceu since everyone at wb has said that the snyder cut is a dead end and has no bearing on the franchise going forward

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
"But Marvel" isn't a good line of defense for exposing the masses to more Jared Leto.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Renner and Leto situations seem a little different to me. Renner's been around for like 10 years and they have a series with his character's name on the title passing the torch. Even if they're uncomfortable with him I could see them just trying to tough it out one more round since it would be awkward to replace him mid production right as you're theoretically retiring him.

But Leto's been in one film and he doesn't seem like Joker has to be fundamental to Justice League. I guess we'll see how important his part is to the movie. And what even is the Snyder Cut? Do they have to keep continuity for a movie out of continuity? If they do is it really best to keep Leto attached instead of replacing him now when its pretty early in his tenure? It just all feel a little more "huh, did this really need to happen?" from a distance.

And yeah, even if they're not different whataboutism isn't fun for anyone.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I also find the idea that Leto is contractually obligated to be there against Snyder’s will kinda funny, because it puts a big asterisk on the whole premise of the Snyder Cut being his unfiltered vision without any executive meddling*

*the sex pest cultist being involved is executive meddling, pinkie promise

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I mean... if this is "Snyder's Cut" then he's probably gotta own everything unless he makes clear otherwise.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

Jeremy Renner was announced for the Hawkeye series long before any hints about his shittiness had surfaced; I don't think it's weird to assume there were some protections for his role as the leading character in place at that point. Or maybe Disney are just lovely enablers that didn't want to scrap their plans. Either case is possible.

I find it difficult to believe that Leto is contractually guaranteed to appear in a film that he wasn't even originally in, and the implication of that is Snyder knew he would have no choice but to use Leto if he decided to shove the Joker into Justice League...and then did it anyway. I mean, I'm sure we can dream up all kinds of imaginary scenarios where this doesn't make Snyder look bad, but hey.

I recall hearing about Jeremy Renner being a terrible human being since Age of Ultron but I could just be conflating several stories about him into one.

I also thought it sucked that the Mandalorian continued to use Gina Carano and that woman that played Ahsoka, and yet they're both getting whole TV shows now. I wish they would get recasted, along with Jeremy Renner, but I don't think those directors are necessarily to be blamed. Zack Snyder replaced a sex pest that was going to be in Army of the Dead with Tig Notaro pretty much immediately, so as I said, I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt here.

Leto and Heard should both be replaced though.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Not every defense of Snyder needs to be jammed through a prism of “BUT DISNEY BAD TOO!”

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its probably reasonable to assume that the directors in most all of these situations are less being forced into these decisions so much as they aren't bothered enough by it to change their artistic vision. The whole nature of the Snyder Cut would seem to emphasis that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

I think its probably reasonable to assume that the directors in most all of these situations are less being forced into these decisions so much as they aren't bothered enough by it to change their artistic vision. The whole nature of the Snyder Cut would seem to emphasis that.

Right, it's either they aren't bothered by it, or they can't change it even if they want to. I think it sucks either way, but I'd rather give the benefit of the doubt in all of these cases.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Leto's performance wasn't even the worst part of a Suicide Squad. Like I'm still not sure what he spent all that time unlocking his inner madness was for, since he played the character largely as a serious and fairly boring gangster, but it's hard to call his performance out as bad in a movie with that many jagged edges in the first place.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I am also hoping that Leto's Joker is in it to get killed by Superman, since his scenes are in the bad future.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I don't know I just found him really annoying, and not funny or scary or interesting, just grating. Robbie was great and threw his performance into sharp relief as a result.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I find the contractual obligation interesting because it seems as if, if will smith is to be believed about leto sending him and his wife used condoms and sex toys, that it would have been quite easy to terminate it if WB were so inclined

E: this isn't clear enough, it would lend credence to both Snyder being unable to do anything and also to Ray Fisher's accusations of WB execs being scum

site fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 10, 2021

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

site posted:

I find the contractual obligation interesting because it seems as if, if will smith is to be believed about leto sending him and his wife used condoms and sex toys, that it would have been quite easy to terminate it if WB were so inclined

Yeah, so if the contract thing is true, it's just that WB just didn't care as most of these corporations don't care about these allegations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
all part of the plan to later release a Leto-less Cut

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm confused. Is there actually something attributing this to contractual obligations? I was under the impression that was just a "devil's advocate/benefit of the doubt" theory.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Lunatic Sledge posted:

all part of the plan to later release a Leto-less Cut

The Snyderer Cut, if you will

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I find it kind of hard to believe there is a contract demand that forces Jerid Leto into reshoots for the Absolutely 100% Snyder Version of the film when the dude didn't even make a loving cameo in the Harley Quinn movie. (This is a good thing, mind you.)

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I'm confused. Is there actually something attributing this to contractual obligations? I was under the impression that was just a "devil's advocate/benefit of the doubt" theory.

The only word we have on this comes directly from the director himself in the Vanity Fair article where he says:

quote:

“The cool thing about the scene is that it’s Joker talking directly to Batman about Batman,” Snyder said. “It’s Joker analyzing Batman about who he is and what he is. That’s the thing I also felt like fans deserved from the DC Universe. That is to say, the Jared Leto Joker and the Ben Affleck Batman, they never really got together. It seemed uncool to me that we would make it all the way through this incarnation of Batman and Joker without seeing them come together.”

So... yeah. Make of that what you will, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, that sounds pretty fuckin' bad especially when this is apparently the one new scene he's adding.

That is the thing that gets me. Like yeah, okay, Mera was in the original cut, I get that. When you say you've done almost no new footage and it apparently all involves Jered Leto's The Joker? That isn't studio meddling.