Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

to be clear this ramseyer guy is very wrong but this womans making the exact kind of overly broad statement that his kind of people like to argue against the japanese did the comfort women war crimes to deal with the specific problem of venereal disease in the military they didnt do it just to be assholes and making it an argument about intent is exactly what the japanese nationalists want because its a much higher burden of proof than just looking at what actually happened

Yeah, just to add there were Japanese comfort women but they were less common due to a number of factors. Korea was a central location for women for the program due to a lack of economic opportunities there, most in Korea were enticed with fake job offers for factory work, and the fact that Korea was under a military governorship, as opposed to a civilian one, made it easier for the military to act with impunity in terms of scamming young women. It was abhorrent but everything involving the Imperial Japanese military was and the comfort women were just another example of the brutality and casual disregard for human life that was the day to day goings on of the Imperial Japanese military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
cool thread. strange how a bunch of massive criminal enterprises follow wherever american regime change tentacles go

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1357690240111050752

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Some Guy TT posted:

to be clear this ramseyer guy is very wrong but this womans making the exact kind of overly broad statement that his kind of people like to argue against the japanese did the comfort women war crimes to deal with the specific problem of venereal disease in the military they didnt do it just to be assholes and making it an argument about intent is exactly what the japanese nationalists want because its a much higher burden of proof than just looking at what actually happened

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Yeah, just to add there were Japanese comfort women but they were less common due to a number of factors. Korea was a central location for women for the program due to a lack of economic opportunities there, most in Korea were enticed with fake job offers for factory work, and the fact that Korea was under a military governorship, as opposed to a civilian one, made it easier for the military to act with impunity in terms of scamming young women. It was abhorrent but everything involving the Imperial Japanese military was and the comfort women were just another example of the brutality and casual disregard for human life that was the day to day goings on of the Imperial Japanese military.

reminder

stephenthinkpad posted:

Let me remind some people the Nazis didn't originally intend to kill all the Jews. They wanted to maximize the use of the Jew labor by kept them working while gave them the minimal amount of food

There was a British colonial study in India of how little calories you could give a person while keep him working for 12 hour, 14 hour a day from a few decades earlier. And the answer they got was like 700 calories a day or something insane low number. The Nazis was awared of it and designed their camps around this idea.

I think killing a bunch of minority population off ultimately doesn't make sense for a government unless the government is very religious or radicalized. Or in the Nazis case, knew they won't be in power for long and wanted to do all the terrible things when they still could.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/netanyahu-absolves-hitler-of-guilt-1.5411578

Netanyahu: Hitler Didn't Want to Exterminate the Jews

Prime minister tells World Zionist Congress that Hitler only wanted to expel the Jews, but Jerusalem's Grand Mufti convinced him to exterminate them, a claim that was rejected by most accepted Holocaust scholars.

occams razor? pisssssssssssss

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's insanely funny to me, that israel is trying to work with and rehabilitate nazis in tyool 2021

what could possibly go wrong lmfao

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

Galaxy Brain: the U.S. should pivot to a pro-North Korean policy to contain China

this is really the best strategic option for both settling the north korea issues and putting an enemy on China's border

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
someone recommended this to me and seems relevant to this thread. note that i haven't watched it yet or dunno who this guy is or how reliable the info in this is, so check it out at your own risk

‘Operation Gladio B’--the continuation of the old NATO Gladio program--covers a tangled web of covert operatives, billionaire Imams, drug running, prison breaks and terror strikes. Its goal: the destabilization of Central Asia and the Caucasus. In this presentation to Studium Generale in Groningen on November 19, 2014, James Corbett lifts the lid on this operation, its covert operatives, and the secret battle for the Eurasian heartland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q0qau8f0w8

edit: looks like this channel went full nutbag in the last few years, never mind

mila kunis has issued a correction as of 07:49 on Feb 9, 2021

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Truga posted:

it's insanely funny to me, that israel is trying to work with and rehabilitate nazis in tyool 2021

what could possibly go wrong lmfao
to the elites of israel, practically nothing, stoking antisemitism across the world will theoretically drive more jewish people to emigrate to israel

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

to the elites of israel, practically nothing, stoking antisemitism across the world will theoretically drive more jewish people to emigrate to israel

or, yknow, antisemites will decide to do the other thing

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

indigi posted:

or, yknow, antisemites will decide to do the other thing

the other thing will happen to the jews outside israel and they're a sacrifice israel is willing to make

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Antonymous posted:

same but yemen & USA+Saudi

world leaders know that

did you know that

I do feel kinda helpless since basically every alliance is busy doing a genocide and there's not really a weight to stop it. Iran is not going to stop Saudi Arabia since they're getting billions in Lockheed and Raytheon weapons and the US is not going to do anything besides the right tut-tutting about Uyghurs to score political points while enthusiastically taking notes so they can figure out how to do genocide better when they get the chance again.

India is spinning up to do something like that too.

gently caress man.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what’s going on with the Uyghurs is inarguably bad, but it isn’t genocide

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

indigi posted:

gently caress yeah, i think we have an incoming genocide definition debate here

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So is Myanmar part of US China proxy war?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Crowsbeak posted:

So is Myanmar part of US China proxy war?

"always has been"

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

"always has been"

I mean the current coup situation.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Crowsbeak posted:

Yes, the US has tacitly approved a coup to topple a democratically elected civilian government that got a little too friendly with China.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Crowsbeak posted:

No, because China bet on both Aung San Suu Kyi and the military. China arguable bet on Suu Kyi more, see Xi's visit to Myanmar early last year during pandemic.

I think only the liberal part of the West care about the Myanmar protest. And the left don't even care about the struggle in Thailand.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

are they still doing that hunger games salute itd be easier to cheer them on if i didnt have to cringe every time i see them

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

indigi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWa0dZMHYeE

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

are they still doing that hunger games salute itd be easier to cheer them on if i didnt have to cringe every time i see them

Yeah, the salute has been spreaded to Myanmar. They also copy the black shirt thing from HK.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

indigi posted:

this is technically correct but when westerners see collective punishment against a single ethnic group their own history tells them there's only one way that will end

plus why not use the biggest bad word for something bad that foreigners are doing, who's feelings are you trying to spare? A billion people's you say? well they don't post on reddit so

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 18:50 on Feb 9, 2021

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I'm not saying that the internment camps aren't extremely inhumane and condemnable I just never saw evidence China is trying to exterminate the uighur people & I don't think there is any.

No one cares! let's just call it genocide! It's a bad thing lets call it the most big bad word why try to understand evil!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well Xi's no Wang the "Beard", that's for sure. I've only ever heard the story about Uygur mothers told by other Han, never from any actual Uygurs.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Indian crackdown on critical media continues
https://twitter.com/vijayprashad/status/1359067852410671108?s=20
https://twitter.com/AJENews/status/1359044575927615495?s=20

The pro-Modi memes aren't good enough on their own I guess
https://twitter.com/KreatelyMedia/status/1357977772455460864?s=20

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yeah, the salute has been spreaded to Myanmar. They also copy the black shirt thing from HK.

At least no Pepe

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

do we have any primary source evidence of the nature of the camps that doesn't come from Zenz, interviews with the same 6 dissidents (that have substantially changed their story) or the very sketch Xinjiang Victims Database?

there's too much smoke. reminds me a lot of the Syria gas stuff

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

KaptainKrunk posted:

do we have any primary source evidence of the nature of the camps that doesn't come from Zenz, interviews with the same 6 dissidents (that have substantially changed their story) or the very sketch Xinjiang Victims Database?

reminds me of the iraq wmd thing

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

closest analog is the Nayirah testimony

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

KaptainKrunk posted:

What is sketch about the Xinjiang Victims Database?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

One of these days I'm going to actually read Zenz's reports and see what evidence he has for claims like... saying every cotton worker in Xinjiang is a chattel slave. I just can't bring myself to do it yet, however

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Chomskyan posted:

What is sketch about the Xinjiang Victims Database?

I'll try to find it but there's a pretty good twitter thing pointing out a lot of weird inconsistences. It also seems to mix in legitimate victims with people credibly accused of murder.

KaptainKrunk has issued a correction as of 20:11 on Feb 9, 2021

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

KaptainKrunk posted:

AFP uncovered bulk orders of tazers, handcuffs, and spiked batons going to the camps. You know, normal school supplies:

https://www.afp.com/en/inside-chinas-internment-camps-tear-gas-tasers-and-textbooks

Buzzfeed interviewed 28 former detainees:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/alison_killing/china-ex-prisoners-horrors-xinjiang-camps-uighurs

CNN interviews a former camp teacher on the systemic abuses witnessed:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/09/asia/xinjiang-china-kazakhstan-detention-intl/index.html

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

So Buzzfeed, CNN, and AFP? Stalwarts of objectivity.

I need an agency or organization without a history of association with the US, either directly or as acting as a propaganda multiplier.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

KaptainKrunk posted:

So Buzzfeed, CNN, and AFP? Stalwarts of objectivity.

I need an agency or organization without a history of association with the US, either directly or as acting as a propaganda multiplier.

Alrighty, which media outlets do you feel fit that description?

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

je1 healthcare posted:

Alrighty, which media outlets do you feel fit that description?

Grayzone, Intercept, truly independent organizations without a dog in the fight, Marxist news outlets or journals with serious credentials of anti-imperialism who aren't concern trolling or using whatever is happening there for geopolitical ends.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Intercept sat for years on the leaked Snowden document that showed Saudi Arabian officials issuing orders to Syrian rebels. It only came out after the war in Syria had shifted enough that it was mostly irrelevant.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you'd figure that with all the surveillance power ~the west~ has at its disposal it'd be easy to show the genocidal concentration camps, the mass graves, etc. it took like a week for public satellites to find iran's corona graves, and military probably has that data within the hour

instead we keep getting witnesses that are connected to us state dept or falun gong, and a goon pixel hunting mosques on google earth :thunkher:

maybe there is a genocide going on, but i'd like to see some loving evidence lmfao

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

everyone was issuing orders to the rebels though

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

It’s worth noting that even Zenz himself isn’t accusing China of having death camps. From an interview he gave last year:

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/04/887239225/china-suppression-of-uighur-minorities-meets-u-n-definition-of-genocide-report-s?t=1612900739995

quote:

SIMON: People need to be careful using the word genocide. Why do you think it's justified and important to use it now?

ZENZ: I have long argued that the atrocity in the region is a cultural genocide, not a literal genocide. I do continue to believe that, generally speaking, the Chinese government does not intend to physically eradicate the Uighurs and Kazakhs, just to integrate, subjugate, dominate and assimilate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Intercept sat for years on the leaked Snowden document that showed Saudi Arabian officials issuing orders to Syrian rebels. It only came out after the war in Syria had shifted enough that it was mostly irrelevant.

They've also gone all in on the russiagate stuff, and I recently saw that their podcast put out an episode about the uyghur reeducation camps.

They're still okay on domestic things but lol.