Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Exhausting always being better is basically a perfect example of what I dislike about the design decisions in the game. If that is the intended effect, why not just make the card do that instead of offering a false choice. You can even keep the alternative downside as a mandatory trigger if you cannot exhaust for some reason.

Off the top of my head, when you draw an obligation it should go into play like a scheme. Have it provide an ongoing negative effect until you get rid of it. Then have it so only that specific hero is allowed to interact with it and make the way you deal with it thematic. Maybe Thor gets to just deal a butt load of damage to his, but Spiderman needs to spend a turn or two as Parker to deal with his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Sometimes you don't want to exhaust when drawing your obligation. Being able to switch to alter ego for a quick recovery and use of a bunch of alter-ego supports before switching back to hero form is really powerful.

Not giving the villain a free scheme to heal can be worth taking the second negative effect.

Obligations that surge if you don't exhaust are awful but still sometimes worth it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Yeah, I'm of the opinion that if you think obligations aren't a choice, you haven't played enough. I can only assume about 1-2P games, but in 3-4P games, you're often in situations where you can't choose one of the options, because you have to do X or you'll lose.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I really dislike obligations because they punish you harshly for Defending, which is already the weakest action on most heroes.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lemony posted:

Exhausting always being better is basically a perfect example of what I dislike about the design decisions in the game. If that is the intended effect, why not just make the card do that instead of offering a false choice. You can even keep the alternative downside as a mandatory trigger if you cannot exhaust for some reason.

Off the top of my head, when you draw an obligation it should go into play like a scheme. Have it provide an ongoing negative effect until you get rid of it. Then have it so only that specific hero is allowed to interact with it and make the way you deal with it thematic. Maybe Thor gets to just deal a butt load of damage to his, but Spiderman needs to spend a turn or two as Parker to deal with his.

maybe it's just me and my bad luck but man the last thing I need is another side scheme to deal with on the reg lol

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

How am I supposed to sleeve Ant-Man and the Wasp?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

KPC_Mammon posted:

How am I supposed to sleeve Ant-Man and the Wasp?

I’ve seen people using products made for the transformers game to hold the foldout cards.

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/board-game-sleeves-89x127

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/3-5x5-topload-holder

https://www.etsy.com/listing/669261778/custom-transformers-tcg-sliding-combiner

OurIntrepidHero
Nov 5, 2011

He's just too fast!

Hall of Heroes has a pretty good guide.

https://hallofheroeslcg.com/2020/08/01/marvel-champions-lcg-ant-man-and-wasp-card-storage-guide/

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I’ve seen people using products made for the transformers game to hold the foldout cards.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/669261778/custom-transformers-tcg-sliding-combiner

I got my order from them this week and am waiting on AntMan to get here. I'll let you know how it goes, but they look pretty good so far!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My LGS was giving away OP kits to people who subscribed to/bought all of the Marvel Champions packs from them and it's a pretty nice kit! Some extended art cards (dunno if they're staple cards, but it's a playset each of Get Over Here, Stealth Strike and Tackle), comic book style cards for Ms Marvel, Thor, Black Widow, Green Goblin and Wrecking Crew, and then a Green Goblin playmat.

I'd be happy to play games to get these in the future, fingers crossed that ever happens again.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
My Ant-Man pack came in, and I took it for a solo test spin. 2 plays against Rhino, 1 against Klaw regular. I did some edits right out of the pack so I wasn't using the pre-built. Here's my thoughts:

Ant-Man is super fun. The 3 forms makes him feel different compared to any hero out there because you're constantly flipping to get an advantage. I built my deck to be able to throw out Avengers allies thanks to Team-building exercise (I really can't believe it's not unique and they allow more than 1 in a deck) and once you get Ant-Man's helmet out you never have to go back to alter-ego. you get 2 health when you flip to giant, and you get a card when flipping to tiny. So I found myself usually defending in giant, flipping to tiny to attack with army of ants and get rid of some thwart if possible. Then when tiny try have an ally take the punch so when I flip to giant I get to do an attack and I get health back, rinse and repeat. Card draw is easy to come by thank to the helmet, I stuck an Avengers Mansion in which is easy to get out thanks to Team Building, and Pym Particles are super good because you spend it and can get health or card draw back (I usually took card draw). The Masters of Evil never became an issue, the one time Whirlwind came out, I had Giant Stomp and bye-bye Whirlwind. I can see defense builds being really good with him as well. The one time I managed to get Swarm Tactics to work was amazing. it sucks waiting till January to have Wasp out as a hero and to see how being able to play it regularly helps compared to not being able to play your signature ally.

I'd have to play with him more to see where his weakness starts to lie, but so far he's a super versatile hero. Feels fun and I don't see any obvious drawbacks at the moment. He's definitely near the top tier of hero's from what I've played so far.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

Ant-Man is super fun. The 3 forms makes him feel different compared to any hero out there because you're constantly flipping to get an advantage. I built my deck to be able to throw out Avengers allies thanks to Team-building exercise (I really can't believe it's not unique and they allow more than 1 in a deck)

Since you can only use one team-building exercise per card it isn't that much better to have 3 instead of 1.

It being a hero action, letting you play cards during other player turns, is really neat though. Lets you plop down an avengers mansion and immediately give the card draw to player one.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It’s super funny with Deadpool because the best version of him lists six different super teams, the last one being “100% beefcake”.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

KPC_Mammon posted:

Since you can only use one team-building exercise per card it isn't that much better to have 3 instead of 1.

It being a hero action, letting you play cards during other player turns, is really neat though. Lets you plop down an avengers mansion and immediately give the card draw to player one.

Aw poo poo. I totally didn’t read the card right. That makes it way less good. Yeah, I’ll have to tweak the deck around. I’ll only want 1 of them floating around.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Fixed my deck up to make it so I only had one team building exercise, and took it for a spin with a friend so we played multiplayer. It owned. Defeated Klaw with little issues, and Mutagen Green Goblin was a breeze.

Army of Ants are amazing. Once you have 3 of them out, chewing through tough and small minions is no trouble at all and the constant flipping for bonuses is fun as heck. I managed to defeat Klaw by blasting him for close to 20 points of damage in one round.

Ant-Man is 100% a success. Cant wait to see how Wasp goes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey guys, come sign up for Trad Games Secret Santa! There's still a week left to sign up. You could ask for packs of cards for your LCGs! Or perhaps even a(nother) LCG base game could be what you are hoping to get. Or a play mat or tokens maybe?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Tried Wasp last night. From her card list I didn’t really think she would be as good as Ant-Man but I really came around. I changed her right away from being aggression to a Justice build and I loved it. With the new basic resource generation cards they gave her I was able to build a deck that has mostly neutral allies and still have it work. I didn’t really realize how crazy powerful her ability is as well. Being able to shove genius and and another card like Ironheart back into your deck when your deck is getting smaller drawing it back almost right away is awesome.

Her giant ability is actually pretty helpful to thwart multiple schemes (if you’re doing an aggression build can definitely help pick off small targets and not overkill on basic attacks).

I really like her so far with the 2 games I played. She carries a lot of utility and I think can work with any aspect when I think about making a good build.

Looking forward to seeing how Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch turns out because they’re 2/2 on this cycle (3/4 if we include Hawkeye and Spider-Woman. Hawkeye being the miss for me).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It seems like something that would trigger a lot, slowly taking turns off the game.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Golden Bee posted:

It seems like something that would trigger a lot, slowly taking turns off the game.

Her alter ego ability? You’re not triggering it a great deal as you generally don’t want to put yourself into alter ego that much. Also, I tended to go for cards that would help pay or help draw. So grabbing clear the area, or Ironheart means that while I’ve shoved a card back in I’m generally drawing an extra card anyway. During one game I knew I had some resource generation in my hand so I put Nick Fury back into my deck, drew him back right away and then threw him into play and got 3 cards back.

So it doesn’t slow things down as much and especially getting a cheap blocker like Ironheart helps so you can stay in hero mode longer to take a hit for you.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I meant her one damage to the villain whenever you do something effective.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Ah, that one. Honestly doesn’t fire that much for me. Since I build my deck around thwarting I tried to stay Giant a lot, and only switched to Tiny when I wanted to use her 8 damage card or use pym particles.

I think it would get a lot more use if you’re using her aggression and then you want to be Tiny more often.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Thread is kinda dead, but just wanted to share some updated thoughts about how the Ant-Man & Wasp packs completely changed the viability of some heroes for me.

I actually have an aggression Thor deck that actually works incredibly well. It's best in 2 player, but once it gets going its just a bulldozer. Team-Building exercise really helps his deck because of all the Asgard cards that can be in play. Valkyrie, Thor/Jane Foster, Mjolnir, Asgard, and a couple others all share the Asgard trait so it's super good to help get his unique cards down.

Then the Wasp pack makes his play-style completely viable. Lie in wait is usually able to take down a minion and if it can 't Thor can finish it off. That means when you risk using "Defender of the Nine Realms" you either just sack the card, or you got a higher minion and you sack and attack. Helps threat and build your hand. Next, Boot Camp completely breaks things wide open as well. All those 2 attack allies are now hitting for 3 damage, which means a lot of minions are dying in one hit instead of the 2 it might normally take. I throw 2 in the deck and make sure the other player gets one as well so now all the allies are hitting like trucks.

It still takes a bit to get going, but I find the wait is now worth it as his damage output is above a lot of other heroes rather than just on par. I played a game with my buddy where he did Leadership Spider-Man and got a boot camp from me, put honorary avenger on Black Cat, Sky Cycle, Inspired, and the attachment where after you attack or thwart she gets to do 1 more damage, so she was hitting for 8 damage every single turn.

I really like how things has changed up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I genuinely didn't know anybody past Ant-Man was in the wild, since I don't venture out into it much for obvious reasons.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Dawgstar posted:

I genuinely didn't know anybody past Ant-Man was in the wild, since I don't venture out into it much for obvious reasons.

Wasp has been out for about a month outside of US. About a week in the US.

Quicksilver comes out this Friday. His deck looks great and the cards for other aspects look good too.

FFG also just put up a preview for the next hero pack. After the Guardians of the Galaxy box with Groot and Rocket, Star-Lord is next. Exactly what I thought which is a leadership build. The neat thing is he looks like a fun risky character to play. A whole bunch of his cards either add encounter cards to play against you, or boost your abilities for having extra encounter cards. I think that’s an excellent push your luck mechanic.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They’ve really done a great job at making each Hero deck feel thematic but also work in a way that’s complements other characters.

It was great already but it’s turning into a fantastic game.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I'm in the US and getting my Quicksilver pack today. I still need to sleeve Ant Man & Wasp, haven't opened them yet cause I haven't had a chance to play recently.

Glad that Star-Lord's getting released close to the big box. It kinda feels weird to not have him around in that campaign, so I'll wait a month to play it since I have to catch up anyway.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

sportsgenius86 posted:

They’ve really done a great job at making each Hero deck feel thematic but also work in a way that’s complements other characters.

It was great already but it’s turning into a fantastic game.

I think Star-Lord and Scarlet Witch won’t complement each other though. Could you imagine that team facing Klaw? You’d run out of acceleration tokens.

But yeah. They’ve done a really good job with the heroes. The only thing I kinda wish is that maybe for a special release they’d go back and fix some older ones. In particular, I think She-Hulk needs a complete overhaul. Her deck just sucks. Gamma slam is good, but a 2 cost card that does one damage to everything? That’s weak. Ant-Man has a 3 cost card that does 1 damage to each minion AND an additional 8 points of damage to an enemy for 3 cost. You can sack your hand to discard 4-5 threat? That’s cool but you pretty much never, ever wanna do that. The cards you could play generally outweigh the need to do that.

She-Hulk seems fun, but then you play her and realize her toolkit just sucks rear end and you’re better off playing almost any other hero because they can do what she does but better. Hulk I think could maybe have used a second pass but I maybe wanna toy with trying him again with the new aggression stuff.

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010
Is FFG ever going to reprint those pre constructed Arkham decks? I’d like to get a set of them but they seem to be super expensive everywhere.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DonnyTrump posted:

Is FFG ever going to reprint those pre constructed Arkham decks? I’d like to get a set of them but they seem to be super expensive everywhere.

As far as I know, yes. No idea when the next print wave comes out though.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
She-Hulk was one of my favorites from the core box to mess around with, but yeah, some of her hero deck cards seem so wonky. I know it’s been mentioned plenty of times, but having just that one Gamma Slam is a pain too.

I’ve got most of what’s out now, but will probably hold off on buying into the current wave until the end of the year. There’s still just a lot I haven’t tried. That said, it’s a consistent offense to my mild OCD tendencies that I can’t really have a deck ready to go for all heroes simultaneously. Is a deck without the basic double-resource cards going to be playable, or is it worth it to grab a duplicate of a cheaper hero pack to pull them out?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’ve got a ton of the extra resources. I’m a bit OCD where I want a hero deck ready to go and don’t feel like grabbing from other decks. So I’ve bought a couple extra packs for some key cards.

I don’t have all the heroes ready to go because either I just don’t feel like playing them or their decks will still feel less.

Like right now Justice has a severe lack of Justice allies so you can only have about 2 Justice decks unless you’re fine with throwing in a bunch of neutrals which you will have a harder time reducing their cost. My Wasp is Justice but only has Spider-Man Justice in her deck and the rest are neutrals until Scarlet Witch comes out and I can poach those cause the others are in my Black Widow deck. I’ve thought about buying a second Black Widow pack but I balked because way too many of the cards are really only for her or suck. Just to get some allies? No thanks.

I sometimes find I stop playing a hero after a time anyway. I haven’t pulled out my Captain America deck forever and will probably retire it when Scarlet Witch comes out to try her as a leadership build, since I want to give Wasp a bunch of those Justice cards.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Picked up Quicksilver today. I honestly have no idea how to build around him, but out of his pack I feel like Never Back Down is a pretty good card.

https://marvelcdb.com/card/14014

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

My first thought is to build him aggression with relatively cheap events that can make use of friction resistance. Being able to hit for 3 twice a turn while also blocking for two (against a minion, usually) is a pretty great starting point.

I'm also a proponent of avenger tower, team building exercise, and all the 2 and 3 cost avengers when playing aggression so you always have someone to block big hits. Add in a couple 4 cost allies to taste.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I think I just had the unluckiest turn you could ever have in a game. It was wild. We were facing Taskmaster and doing pretty decent. I had 9 hp with Wasp. He has 1 minion out against me and I have an extra encounter card from defeating another minion. He attacks, and I take the hit from minion. Encounter cards come out. Buddy gets one he removes with Black Widow’s hook (big mistake, wouldn’t have done much to him)

My first card? He attacks and if he had a weapon (he does) it gains surge. I defend and take 1 damage. Surge card? Same cards as last time attacks and surges again. Down to 4hp as I eat the hit and take 2 damage and the boost for it puts out a minion. I now have 2 minions engaged. No worries, I’ll just flip and heal next turn. Next card I get for taking my actual encounter card? Gang up, minions and villain attacks me.

I got turbo’d from almost full health to dead in one round. It was a huge :geno: moment. Never had a turn that bad. I think we learned our lesson of making sure to remove weapons ASAP against him now.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The online community so amazing. Someone made a Maria Hill that lets you take any SHIELD asset. Another made a patriot leadership deck that does really new things with it, punishing you for chump blocking, but removing consequential damage and mega buffing, and letting you take their damage instead.

Plus, electrostatic armor and the protection card previewed from Galaxy’s most wanted means you can do Captain America who does three damage on defense guaranteed. And he can defend twice.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

The online community so amazing. Someone made a Maria Hill that lets you take any SHIELD asset. Another made a patriot leadership deck that does really new things with it, punishing you for chump blocking, but removing consequential damage and mega buffing, and letting you take their damage instead.

Plus, electrostatic armor and the protection card previewed from Galaxy’s most wanted means you can do Captain America who does three damage on defense guaranteed. And he can defend twice.

Are they, yknow, balanced and provide a reasonable challenge?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Some do, some don’t, and they are often edited by the creators according to Feedback, which is more interaction than you will get if you don’t like Quiksilver or something.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

Some do, some don’t, and they are often edited by the creators according to Feedback, which is more interaction than you will get if you don’t like Quiksilver or something.

My opinion of the abilities of random homebrewers is pretty subterranean so that's not really enough to sell me on it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Picked up Quicksilver today. Kept him as defense but changed some things around. Took out a bunch of the neutrals in his deck, and added some more defense stuff like a "power of protection" Black Widow ally, Nova, Quincarrier, and some other small things. The idea of the deck is eventually able to get Nova and Black Widow out and never taking damage so Nova can zap damage 24/7 thanks to Quincarrier and Black Widow gets rid of the worst treacheries.

Rhino? Was no problem. Multiple Man coming out early game let me setup board at my leisure and I just annihilated him. So next comes the true test. Solo Klaw. Solo Klaw is an easy way to tell how tuned your deck is because of how nasty his start is. Minion on the board, and a side scheme blocking the Main scheme. It's a huge hurdle.

Lost 3 times before eventually winning, and the final win was hard fought. It was a "either side blinks and they're dead" and Klaw blinked first. I had +4 threat coming onto the field every turn at the end. It helped me see what Quicksilvers strengths and weaknesses are.

So, is he as powerful as Dr.Strange? No. I think at first it's easy to claim he's pretty broken, especially with a strong start, but you see his weakness when more than one minion comes into play. Quicksilver has no area damage, so he relies solely on attacking and when minions with tough comes out it's even more of a slog. You can do chip damage from cards like Side Step, Energy barrier, and Nova, but it's not major output. So when big guys like Masters of Evil comes out, you have to push with QS to finish them off. The problem is that you also need him to thwart as well. So generally you're doing one at the expense of the other. He only has two cards that does attack or thwart. Everything else is buffs or standing (granted the temporary buff is amazing, especially if you can combo it with always be running)

QS honestly will probably suck against a chunk of villains solo. Mutagen green goblin? Zola? I wouldn't attempt it (on the defensive aspect) until he gets some more cards that play to his strength. Scarlet Witch is coming out with a defense card where you remove 4 threat but the villain attacks you. That's perfect for QS because it's 2 more thwart and he can probably easily take the hit. So that will help a lot.

My verdict? Quicksilver will shine in group play and easily be one of the best heroes IMO. With people able to take the heat off him minion wise he can setup the boar and focus on threat and damage dealing, rather than constant minion clearing. Solo play he's gonna be middle of the pack.

In good news. My LCBS apparently is getting Scarlet Witch this Friday. He said he was getting 12 packs of something and it wasn't QS or a previous hero. I know she's out in Europe, but wasn't expecting this. I'll try and have a report on her on the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Glad this thread is jumping again! I played a game with 4 players recently and it was just as chaotic as I thought it would be (We lost against Klaw after a decent game---it was Thor/Spidey/Shulk/America).

I really love the new cards that have been coming out with Ant-Man/Wasp/Quicksilver. Echoing what's been said about Team-Building Exercise being great for Thor, and it looks like the Brute Force cards that come with Quicksilver will be great for Hulk.

Thor/Hulk being the two heroes that seem to be left behind more often than most has been a bummer but I feel like they are slowly being "fixed" with cards that really benefit them. A lot of people compare Ant-Man's Giant mode as a better Hulk outright so anything that gives more to Hulk is cool, though I sort of think he might never really catch up to other heroes and that blows. Thor, though, has a lot of great options and only needs one or two upgrade/support cards for a spare resource/hand size to get going. Hulk being 4-hand/discard every turn just legit sucks and I wish it was either a 5-hand that's discarded every turn, or a normal 4-hand.

Anyway regardless of that stuff, the new cards for almost every aspect in the Ant-Man/Wasp/QS/Witch cycle look ridiculously great. Those 4 are worth getting just for the cards to spread around alone; genuinely feels like they all include incredible stuff. Star-Lord looks loving insane and likely will have huge highs and lows with games not lasting long for him, for better or worse lol.