Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
With Rick, there's never any question over whether he's a prick - the debate is more about whether he's a prick who is also right. Dominic just acts like a dick but it's never perceived as such... instead, everyone treats him like some kind of saintly guru who is always karmically in the right.

Also I read ahead in this chapter and while I won't go into details yet, he pulls some really OP bs that doesn't even really seem to map to his established powers and it's baffling to me. Dominic can really just do whatever he wants with magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
So even when it's working properly, the Inkship tosses people out a half-dozen meters up?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Inkwich told it to to that because she's not a nice person.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TheHan posted:

Seeing this is like sailing past the tattered remains of fellow travelers.

Had to draw the corpsemom's butt did you, you lil weirdo.

Love that the ship just shits them out.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

That is not a healthy poop. That spaceship needs to go to a vet.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

the ship has to drop them off in the air because it's a 2d drawing of a ship and cannot interact with the z-axis, obv

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

That spire looks like he traced a dragon dildo.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Invisible Clergy posted:

That spire looks like he traced a dragon dildo.

I guess that's supposed to be moss or greenery of some kind around the base, but it just looks like it's leaking goo.

Mookie sure does love that texture brush

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

It's veins.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Why put multiple flags on a building if you leave them blank anyway?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Pyrotoad posted:

Because what he traced the building from had them.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pyrotoad posted:

He's clearly never been interested in actual world building / setting.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Pyrotoad posted:

Because they just surrendered the comic's plot.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

oh so ink witch and the orc are totally good friends now because snout told them to stop fighting that one time

also neither one of them were inconvenienced by those bad guys who teleported them away

also i was right about him being a paper warlock, lol

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I still think this is a setup for a polycule

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Is it that Mookie himself forgot or he desperately wants his audience to forget?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
This whole webcomic feels like a cargo cult webcomic, which wasn't even a thing I thought could exist.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Also is the orc supposed to be huge? (feels potentially traced as well even if it's a simple pose) /Where is anyone in relation to anyone else?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

This whole webcomic feels like a cargo cult webcomic, which wasn't even a thing I thought could exist.

Reminder: Mookie technically has almost 2 decades experience publicly releasing comics.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Reminder: Mookie technically has almost 2 decades experience publicly releasing comics.

Reason number 402 that Malcom Gladwell is a hack or at least never heard of webcomics.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Billy Gnosis posted:

Also is the orc supposed to be huge? (feels potentially traced as well even if it's a simple pose) /Where is anyone in relation to anyone else?

He feels huge cause he's traced from a previous page where he was huge.

Also in finding this I realized we're in chapter 50: the language barrier. These story arcs just fizzle out unceremoniously and another starts with no fanfare.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
At least everyone's wearing clothes this time

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

GlyphGryph posted:

Especially witht this thematic fixation with books/writing/ink etc.

It's a recurring image and theme, over and over, and yet, what exactly is it saying about writing as a means of communication, especially with a deaf protagonist? Nothing.

None of the imagery or theming actually means anything, it feels like the facebook memes you see where people talk about how much of a book-loving introvert they are. It's almost a fetishization of books.

But like, the last time we even saw a book was in the mongrel bookstore. It's not like Snout even uses them as a source of knowledge.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Then Arudak stretched out his hand over the book, and the Lord drove the pages back by a strong east wind all night, and the pages were divided.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Little Death posted:

None of the imagery or theming actually means anything, it feels like the facebook memes you see where people talk about how much of a book-loving introvert they are. It's almost a fetishization of books.

Where's that post where Mookie retweeted someone talking about literature and then quickly realizing he means comics?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

He feels huge cause he's traced from a previous page where he was huge.

loving hell of COURSE it was

Edit: just came across this:

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 11, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Why does the orc look like a Greek god now instead of a crotchety old hobo?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Mookie seriously the thing about re-tracing your own work is meant for like, background characters, you're not supposed to be proud of just making a comic out of a handful of traced poses over and over again, this isn't, please, please someone stop him he needs help

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

FlocksOfMice posted:

Mookie seriously the thing about re-tracing your own work is meant for like, background characters, you're not supposed to be proud of just making a comic out of a handful of traced poses over and over again, this isn't, please, please someone stop him he needs help

Right, like... not only does he keep doing this, he keeps reusing old images in IMPORTANT SCENES. Like Arudak's dream appearance was meant to be memorable, and now he re-reappearance is just a copy-paste of that. And his pose doesn't even make sense for the context he's in!

I do not understand this man.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The cargo-cult thing around books is not uncommon.

There's plenty of people that associate books-as-objects with intellect, perception, and general intellectual or, worse, 'nerd' culture. Books are meritorious for their physical presence, which makes you more of an intellectual. And that's what's very much on display in this webcomic: Lots of pages, lots of ink, no actual books as such. When Snout did find books, they contained almost no information, and certainly didn't contain anything magical. Snout is supposed to be this bookish, curious person who will throw his life into danger to delve into books, but what he actually is is someone who has a diary and is a pushover.

Mookie doesn't seem to really be into books, and barely to be into comics, except writing and drawing his own. The writer who is not also a reader, the one who only really understands ink and paper as means of his own expression to others.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

It's all Bibliomancy.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Hell yeah, "unknown armies."

Mookie is gradually turning this into a sprite comic. It completely owns.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
AND I'M HIS FRIEND JESUS!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Joe Slowboat posted:

There's plenty of people that associate books-as-objects with intellect, perception, and general intellectual or, worse, 'nerd' culture. Books are meritorious for their physical presence, which makes you more of an intellectual. And that's what's very much on display in this webcomic: Lots of pages, lots of ink, no actual books as such. When Snout did find books, they contained almost no information, and certainly didn't contain anything magical. Snout is supposed to be this bookish, curious person who will throw his life into danger to delve into books, but what he actually is is someone who has a diary and is a pushover.

Mookie doesn't seem to really be into books, and barely to be into comics, except writing and drawing his own. The writer who is not also a reader, the one who only really understands ink and paper as means of his own expression to others.

The orc is holding a book. CHECKMATE

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

it's a good thing there's all this paper around because this comic is poo poo gottem

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i.... don't know why he traced it instead of copy-pasting it at this point. it's clearly the same picture and doesn't really fit the second comic, why go to the effort of re-tracing it?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Mx. posted:

i.... don't know why he traced it instead of copy-pasting it at this point. it's clearly the same picture and doesn't really fit the second comic, why go to the effort of re-tracing it?

I assume he's read Invincible.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

He already found the reference image he used for the first one and doesn't have it in him to find another.

From now on, Arudak will always be posed like that in all scenes.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Joe Slowboat posted:

When you think about it, this is sort of a followthrough of Dominic, who is implied to be booksmart in a way that's never really demonstrated, but manifests the power of his knowledge through literal psychic domination of his enemies. It is a fetishization of being a nerd, but in the tv way where nerds are all generally smart instead of being only obsessed with niche pop-culture properties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
It's the fetishization of books in the literal anthroplogical sense of the word 'fetish.'