Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Literally the first screenshot I could find, from New Super Mario Bros. U. The shape looks exactly the same, so the mod has taken Nintendo's design. Fake news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This is up there with The Little Man Of Disneyland in the "you have to be really weird to care" category.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Wow what a crazy twist, let me pry my eyes open to keep reading

WHENS THE RAT RIDE OPENING!?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Junkie Disease posted:

Wow what a crazy twist, let me pry my eyes open to keep reading

WHENS THE RAT RIDE OPENING!?

No one knows. I'm gonna guess next month during Flower & Garden but no one knows for sure.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Fame Douglas posted:

Literally the first screenshot I could find, from New Super Mario Bros. U. The shape looks exactly the same, so the mod has taken Nintendo's design. Fake news.

Really? You just did what Universal did and posted the first image you Googled. There are no cactus like that in NSMBU. They are entirely the creation of the mod maker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yOQVYyEFDs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kptYnbAVwPc

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zero One posted:

Really? You just did what Universal did and posted the first image you Googled. There are no cactus like that in NSMBU. They are entirely the creation of the mod maker.

You're right, I misread "Newer" for that screenshot.

Also, checking this out made me realize how terrible the "New Super Mario Bros" games where. Horrific visual design, the most annoying sound design and the worst soundtrack known to man. Just horrible.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 9, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/schmoofy/status/1358976961108934658?s=21

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Won’t someone think of the influencers

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
There's now a Youtube channel dedicated to mocking / youtube poop-ing these people.

It's not particularly funny but I'm glad it exists to maybe stifle some future Tim Tracker wannabes.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Timvthe tracker sucks honestly they all do. Influencers were a mistake.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Theme Park Enthusiast Channels > Theme Park Influencer Channels

Also what's that people are being vague about wrt ViewFromTheCheapSeats in that thread, knew the guy was an rear end in a top hat (especially after his weird little homophobic rant about one of the scarezones at HHN29) but they're making it sound like poo poo went down.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only thing good about those influencer channels is figuring out how you can plan your day with lines or whatever.

A few years ago I really watched them because they would lull me to sleep lol

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Disney is emailing me about $6250 off a 250 dvc point purchase at riviera or aulani. I don't want points at riviera or aulani and 250 is double the entry level point amount of 125 so I'm feeling like they're gonna have to make with some better deals.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Dren posted:

Disney is emailing me about $6250 off a 250 dvc point purchase at riviera or aulani. I don't want points at riviera or aulani and 250 is double the entry level point amount of 125 so I'm feeling like they're gonna have to make with some better deals.

If you can get that same deal at Copper Creek still, that would be worth considering.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

Also what's that people are being vague about wrt ViewFromTheCheapSeats in that thread, knew the guy was an rear end in a top hat (especially after his weird little homophobic rant about one of the scarezones at HHN29) but they're making it sound like poo poo went down.

TPM, Offhand Disney, etc. Dalian (or whatever the hell his name is from OD) will shill the hell out of magic candle company until the day he dies, but he honestly seems enthusiastic about what he talks about.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
What are point costs right now? They have to be close to $200/point right?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

TPM, Offhand Disney, etc. Dalian (or whatever the hell his name is from OD) will shill the hell out of magic candle company until the day he dies, but he honestly seems enthusiastic about what he talks about.

That kid is nice and I’ll take that over a lot of tubers. Also I got a HHN fog magic candle because I wanted to have it in my room while I edited a Halloween short film thing and it was wonderful. But not perfect.

Would sniff again.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

couldcareless posted:

What are point costs right now? They have to be close to $200/point right?

Direct pricing is

220/pt for Copper Creek
201/pt for Aulani (yes they're still selling this), and Riviera

They just raised prices a few days ago, but there are incentives if you buy over 150 points. They'll knock 2100 bucks off 150.

They'll sell the older resorts direct if you force them to, but you'll pay a fortune. Bay Lake is 245 a point direct right now.

Dren posted:

There is no reason at all to buy direct right now unless you plan on staying at Riviera. If anyone's thinking about getting into DVC, buy a resale contract at the resort you want to stay at.

There's a couple downsides to buying direct, but the savings buying resale far outweigh the downsides.

I'm not sure there is a good reason to even buy into DVC right now. I bought resale about 4 years ago and added 25 direct points for the "perks". The minimum points you need for "perks" now is 125 direct. It's worked out for us, but resale pricing is way up the last few years, perks are way down... you're probably better off renting or paying cash at a WDW hotel right now.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
This is definitely a bad time with them limiting borrow amounts for the next year. There's gonna be a huge influx of people using their stashed points over 2021/22 and availability is gonna be garbage for awhile.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Is there a way to order Gideon's cookies to a resort? My friend is on site but can't go to DS and I'd really like to send her some dope cookies.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Probably Uber eats or a app like that might have them. When we stayed off site we could get delivery Disney springs restaurants lol

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

There's a couple downsides to buying direct, but the savings buying resale far outweigh the downsides.

but the perks!!!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SteelMentor posted:

Yeah. Some of those channels are really great. I highly recommend Midway to Main Street, Yesterworld Entertainment, Defunctland, and Expedition Theme Park. Also, if you want a really, really, obsessive in depth look at attractions, Martin’s Videos.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The only real "influencer" channel I can stand is Theme Park Worldwide thanks to his infectious enthusiasm for the technical side of theme parks and him looking at pretty much everything. US, UK, Europe, big and small. Seeing him give an earnest review of my home town's skeevy lil' funfair was fun.

But then he rattles off a torrent of manufacturer details and lingo to the camera while everyone in the ride vehicle around him sits there awkwardly and I collapse in on myself from second-hand embarrassment.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dren posted:

but the perks!!!

Blue Card FOMO is legit. I'm lucky I got in with only 25 direct points. 25 BLT points at 185 a point, which wasn't much of a price difference of buying 25 or 50 points resale at the time I can't imagine buying 125 direct for the blue card these days.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Defunctland is rad. The Action Park and Drachen Fire videos are excellent.

Would steer clear of Theme Park Worldwide. He was caught up in some fairly nasty drama last year.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Oh.

Good.

Edit: Holy poo poo dude :cripes:

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 10, 2021

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Dugong posted:

Defunctland is rad. The Action Park and Drachen Fire videos are excellent.

I've been watching less Defunctland, only because the latest video topics haven't usually been too interesting to me personally, but the first couple seasons are fantastic and I've been meaning to give the newer stuff a chance.

E: Of course, I don't think I'd really call Defunctland an "influencer" channel. I always associate that with more lifestyle-type vlogs I suppose.

Nikaer Drekin fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 9, 2021

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Video essays/retrospectives and the like. Dude's really improved quality across the board since that first season. Really, really recommend the video on the plans for Walt's EPCOT. Fascinating in a terrifying sort of way.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I found Disney Food Blog's videos to be pretty helpful for planning my first trip since they were a good mix of "did you know The Beatles broke up at Disney World?" with specific recent updates. I think I used a couple of resort walkarounds from Touring Plans to get a feel for where things were as well.

All of the Disney lifestyle vloggers seem mostly interchangeable to me (and I realize DFB is on the border of being one of these). If I'm in the mood for Disney content I'll watch a couple recent relevant videos to whatever I want, but there's never a time I decide that I want to watch someone live in a hotel room for a week and never leave or what have you.

I have started watching stuff like Defunctland and listening to Podcast the Ride but that's never something that helps me recapture the *~*Disney Magic*~* or whatever the influencers are angling for.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I occasionally watch vids of people attempting the All WDW Rides in 1 Day challenge to get a quick fix of seeing each ride and all parks. Plus, they aren’t fake or obnoxious like a lot of typical vloggers - there’s no time for filler BS when attempting that challenge.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
For The Boathouse in DS, does one have to get proper reservations in order to eat the food there, or is there a bar that also serves off the menu.

Scheming for how to get my hands on some lobster corn dogs without committing to a full sit down shebang.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I agree that Defunctland got better the second year. I like Yesterworld too even though I confuse it with Yesterland all the time.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

BlueBayou posted:

For The Boathouse in DS, does one have to get proper reservations in order to eat the food there, or is there a bar that also serves off the menu.

Scheming for how to get my hands on some lobster corn dogs without committing to a full sit down shebang.

They have a couple bars but they always seem full.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Nottherealaborn posted:

I occasionally watch vids of people attempting the All WDW Rides in 1 Day challenge to get a quick fix of seeing each ride and all parks. Plus, they aren’t fake or obnoxious like a lot of typical vloggers - there’s no time for filler BS when attempting that challenge.

I know it’s been discussed in the thread before, but wtf? How is that possible? That is a lot of rides across four non-adjacent parks.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Grundulum posted:

I know it’s been discussed in the thread before, but wtf? How is that possible? That is a lot of rides across four non-adjacent parks.

It's pretty hard to do unless you're going when the parks are open super late. And if a ride is closed for refurb, your run doesn't count. We actually had a team on our podcast once that have done it. It's a lot of coordination of FastPasses and just running your rear end off. They also drive from park to park rather than use Disney transpo.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

The only "in one day" thing I remember among millions of guest interactions was a family that showed up at Peter Pan's Flight for their assigned Fastpass time... at Disneyland. The original 1-row meager capacity operational nightmare at Disneyland does not have a Fastpass*.

The whole family had gotten passes that day in Florida, flown home to CA, and gone up the Peter Pan exit at the proper time (10:30pm-ish). Something about actually waiting for the time window sealed it as awesome instead of obnoxious and I let them right on, maybe signing one or taking their picture for their proof.

*if it somehow has a buy-up Fastpass now among peak :capitalism:, ugh. This was in the days when the park was half full of APs pulling passes for 9am return and getting to use them at their convenience (read: hundreds of latecomers overwhelming what should've been a small trickle of FPs after parades) because of spineless policy.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Grundulum posted:

The vids I’ve seen are all pre-Star Wars Land and even pre-Toy Story Land, which meant that HS only had ToT, Rock’n Rollercoaster, Midway Mania and Star Tours. I’d imagine it’s near impossible now with HS growing so much.

You basically have to 1) stay on-site to get EMH and it previously had to be at AK for Pandora, 2) drive from park to park, 3) park hop multiple times, including back to parks you were already at due to certain ‘rides’ having limited operating hours, including the ferry boats and the Main Street cars in MK, 4) eat pre-packed snacks only and limit bathroom breaks and 5) ensure that the parks are open late enough at at least magic kingdom. Even then, there’s a good chance you can miss out on a few rides by the end of the night just based on temporary ride closures or other bad luck.

Personally, I’d never try the challenge, but that’s because I can’t handle rides that spin at all and I don’t go to Disney often enough to waste a day being miserable. But I’ll happily watch others try it on YouTube.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Grundulum posted:

We tried it when we went in 2018 and failed miserably. Got through all of AK and HS (non-consecutively), with a chunk of MK, didn't even touch Epcot.

After you hit FoP (we were the second group in line our day!), get to MK to ride the main street vehicles (which we missed, ending our run almost immediately lol), and burn off your initial fast passes, it actually gets sort of fun from a logistics perspective; besides pure luck, it becomes a game of "is this moderately-in demand fast pass worth the time it takes to switch parks." We ended up tossing in the towel after RRC broke down a couple times while we were in queue. It was our last ride for HS and it was dinner time, so we just went to the Springs and relaxed.

I suspect its functionally impossible anymore because of shorter operating hours and HS putting too much pressure on the entire thing.

EDIT: I went back and found my "lol we're done" tweet and someone posted this play by play. If your'e curious what an absolute crash and burn run looked like.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Boxman posted:

We tried it when we went in 2018 and failed miserably. Got through all of AK and HS (non-consecutively), with a chunk of MK, didn't even touch Epcot.

After you hit FoP (we were the second group in line our day!), get to MK to ride the main street vehicles (which we missed, ending our run almost immediately lol), and burn off your initial fast passes, it actually gets sort of fun from a logistics perspective; besides pure luck, it becomes a game of "is this moderately-in demand fast pass worth the time it takes to switch parks." We ended up tossing in the towel after RRC broke down a couple times while we were in queue. It was our last ride for HS and it was dinner time, so we just went to the Springs and relaxed.

I suspect its functionally impossible anymore because of shorter operating hours and HS putting too much pressure on the entire thing.

EDIT: I went back and found my "lol we're done" tweet and someone posted this play by play. If your'e curious what an absolute crash and burn run looked like.

That's a really decent attempt.

We've done the Disneyland/DCA one and I'm trying to tease the husband into WDW's but yeah I have no idea how anyone is going to do it now, including me