Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Archer666 posted:

I remember one of those Ultima reviews getting REALLY uncomfortable. He started punching the cover and looking unhinged, and either that was serious quality acting or he just lost it for a moment.

This bit is always what comes to mind when Spoony comes up. It's either stupid overacting over stupidly getting way too worked up over the series going to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

CelticPredator posted:

Nikacado fan?

I hate Mukbangs but this dude i hate even worse, my ex used to watch him all the time and I'm glad that is also out of my life.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Doug Walker honestly just got lucky he was able to have a career at all.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Ash Crimson posted:

we need to talk about the destruction of a content creator; the slow inevitable personality death that accompanies each and every single person as their fanbase demands more and more of their humanity

yeah there's a niche of youtubers who literally eat themselves to death for money.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Kamrat posted:

Well, Lordkat was always an rear end in a top hat so it's not surprising.

The guy got run out of the Let's Play forum because he refused to not make rape jokes in his UWW revival.

By run out I mean he ran out crying about being asked not to do that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Violet_Sky posted:

Doug Walker honestly just got lucky he was able to have a career at all.

It's crazy you can still have a successful channel just summarizing movies. There's this guy called Spooky Rice that'll pop up on my commended and his deal is summarizing disturbing movies. Gets hundreds of thousands of views per video.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

The guy got run out of the Let's Play forum because he refused to not make rape jokes in his UWW revival.

I've only heard of him from the Down the Rabbit Hole on Spoony and the clip of him they chose made him sound super whiny and he came off as overreacting to the dumb poo poo Spoony had done.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Archer666 posted:

I remember one of those Ultima reviews getting REALLY uncomfortable. He started punching the cover and looking unhinged, and either that was serious quality acting or he just lost it for a moment.

And then there was that one Twilight "review" where he just looked miserable, drowning himself in rum and skyping up random people.

The long bit was that reviewing all the series and how it went downhill was consuming him, and it actually had very decent makeup and acting to have him looking more wasted by the end of it.

The Twilight review didn't seem so bad...by itself. I've spent worst times with people after a breakup. Roasting a lovely movie and having a few drinks with friends to get out of your own head is not a bad way to deal. Sadly there was a lot more underneath.

And I never really got why the 'Betrayal!!" thing was...well, a thing. Someone being loud in the massive atrium of a lovely game company riding the bones of a beloved franchise? Nowadays this is the kind of thing that gets you Logan Paul money. People acting as if that alone had kept reviewers from becoming the new lords of all media was psychotic levels of delusion.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Only food reviewer person I watch on the occasion is this fellow:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeR0n8d3ShTn_yrMhpwyE1Q

Him and his "I'm a character straight out of a Wes Anderson film" schtick is great.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There was always the thing about how LordKat claimed the Betrayal thing 'tainted' him but Angry Joe is also right there who has gone on to have a very respectable cottage industry of reviewing the video games. Apparently LordKat's only shot was talking to Notch.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

does Steve1989MREInfo count as mukbang

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.

Alaois posted:

does Steve1989MREInfo count as mukbang

The absolute dread I felt when after enjoying a very interesting look at a nearly century old MRE and suddenly realizing "oh god, he eats them?!"

First 2/3rds of the videos are great, though.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Only mukbang thing I watch is Kinoshita Yuka, only because its surreal watching a small Japanese girl devour in 1 video the same amount of calories I eat in 2 weeks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPtMtCSYmQA

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sydin posted:

Yeah the Ultima retrospective is really sad because it starts off with him reviewing games that he loves and were genuinely foundational to him, but he got to the bad games right around the time things were going downhill for him in real life and what was clearly originally meant to be a "great series that fell from grace" saga just turned into Spoony having a genuine breakdown on camera and then calling it content.

Spoonychat always depresses the hell out of me. He had a genuine comedic talent that outstripped the vast majority of his peers and it's really a shame to see where it all ended up. :smith:

this. i never got the "lets mock spoony" poo poo. like bob/coffin/McIntosh/ doug/angry joe/etc mocking i get for various reason(not the weird stalky poo poo, i just me laughing at their weird bad takes or lovely content sorta) , but spoony is just ill and its really depressing. dude was funny and i still hope he is getting help/gets help.

MechaX posted:

Yeah the time spent editing and performing the skits were huge, huge time sinks according to him a decade ago.

It's a shame because given his Phantasmagoria, SWAT, and Ripper LPs, he was absolutely not bad at all with being entertaining offscript if he had to be. Things might have been different if he were able to make it to the big blow up of twitch streaming and the shift from longer reviews to shorter stuff on youtube so not every video he did required a massive amount of editing.

At this point, he's bitter and internally suffering, and his "fanbase" mostly consists of people egging him on or coming up with ideas like "lol we should totally go to court on the case spoony has open" and all that poo poo just sucks.

yeah. i always liked his final fantasy stuff(never was a big fan of the game series so i find him and clemps interesting and a way of getting out of my bubble game wise) and i loved the microcosim or whatever that game review was because of the box that comes with a loving thick lore book and in the end its just some lovely lovely lovely fmv broken flight game.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've only heard of him from the Down the Rabbit Hole on Spoony and the clip of him they chose made him sound super whiny and he came off as overreacting to the dumb poo poo Spoony had done.

I remember watching that LordKat stream and it was one gigantic train-wreck from start to finish. He even brought Lupa on air for a bit but it's been so long that I forgot if she nope'd out when he started really going off the airs. In that stream LordKat said that Spoony should not only off himself with his brother's service rifle, but he also said one of the most transphobic things I have ever heard in my entire life and tried to painstakingly rope that into Spoony's situation. LordKat is a lovely human being.

The betrayal thing was blown completely out of proportion by him because: 1. lol notch, 2. xcom devs rightfully treated the betrayal thing as a funny harmless joke, 3. if anything, one of angryjoe's disastrous first interview with Geoff Keighley would have been the only thing that would have put a target on their site for anything at all, and even that didn't.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Latest from Scaredy Matt/Thought Slime, even if you're not into the subject of the main video at least watch the opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhPIXTq0F1o

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 10, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. i never got the "lets mock spoony" poo poo. like bob/coffin/McIntosh/ doug/angry joe/etc mocking i get for various reason(not the weird stalky poo poo, i just me laughing at their weird bad takes or lovely content sorta) , but spoony is just ill and its really depressing. dude was funny and i still hope he is getting help/gets help.

Apparently he got help, but bad news, man: In a later rant Spoony offhandedly remarked that his psychiatric treatment was cancelled or something. Either it was too expensive or his healthcare stopped covering it, I can't remember. Either way, :lol: US healthcare

Re: LordKat. His thing at the beginning was just playing games the AVGN had trouble with, and finishing them. The more he strayed from that dumb, but kind of cute concept, the more evil started to leak out of him like he was just some sort of imitation-human made by aliens out of some left-over garbage. I don't know how much of his descent was him getting high on huffing his own farts, and how much of it was his genuine shittyness leaking through more and more with each imaginary fame point to his stats.

In the end, he made some dumb video of him sucking on a strawberry and I was so disgusted I never watched anything made by him ever again.

It coming out that he was a lovely person was the least surprise ever, at least for me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol, to "honor" Geno being a mii costume in smash ultimate instead of a playable character, Jonny Atma did a cover of Sad Song, instead of the full remake of SMRPG's OST he promised if Geno was an actual fighter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7uvB1KbHAI&hd=1

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Reminder that LordKat sexually assaulted a woman when she was drunk and passed out live on a stream, He can burn in hell.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Libluini posted:

Apparently he got help, but bad news, man: In a later rant Spoony offhandedly remarked that his psychiatric treatment was cancelled or something. Either it was too expensive or his healthcare stopped covering it, I can't remember. Either way, :lol: US healthcare

Re: LordKat. His thing at the beginning was just playing games the AVGN had trouble with, and finishing them. The more he strayed from that dumb, but kind of cute concept, the more evil started to leak out of him like he was just some sort of imitation-human made by aliens out of some left-over garbage. I don't know how much of his descent was him getting high on huffing his own farts, and how much of it was his genuine shittyness leaking through more and more with each imaginary fame point to his stats.

In the end, he made some dumb video of him sucking on a strawberry and I was so disgusted I never watched anything made by him ever again.

It coming out that he was a lovely person was the least surprise ever, at least for me.

wow that sad. hope poo poo gets better for him somehow.

also yeah lordKat was always one of those loud angry dudes that always seemed to have a weird hosed up darkness to them. not shocked about the horrible poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Trojan Kaiju posted:

God, I remember that. I'd just joined SA and had started doing LPs. Guy had a full on screampost meltdown over just gently being asked to maybe tone down the rape jokes a titch.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I think about Spoony sometimes and how influential he was in the reviewer scene and his review of ff8

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Captain Invictus posted:

lol, to "honor" Geno being a mii costume in smash ultimate instead of a playable character, Jonny Atma did a cover of Sad Song, instead of the full remake of SMRPG's OST he promised if Geno was an actual fighter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7uvB1KbHAI&hd=1

The funniest thing about Geno discourse is when you replay/watch someone doing a play-through of the game and realize Mallow has more character development than anyone else in the party, Geno included.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The funniest thing about Geno discourse is when you replay/watch someone doing a play-through of the game and realize Mallow has more character development than anyone else in the party, Geno included.

Which is why he should be in Smash.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Yeah but geno's cooler and has the 9999 damage special

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I still don't get why people love Geno so much. Or why they used him. You gotta use Mario, you can't swap him out. The game gives you bowser, why would you not use bowser since he is the raddest party member in the game. But then you also get peach, and why would you rock the nobody over letting the princess finally kick rear end?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it's this. it was always just this

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
My personal recollection of LordKat was tuning into one his streams as a younger nerd and asking him in the chat if he played a certain tabletop game, for him to turn around and tell me to gently caress off, spluttering and muttering to himself for a good minute after.

Also yeah, the sexual assault poo poo. Reading Hagan's account of that and how it was basically only her and her wife who tried to intervene was harrowing then, and in the wake of ChangeTheChannel even moreso now.

Nuebot posted:

I still don't get why people love Geno so much. Or why they used him. You gotta use Mario, you can't swap him out. The game gives you bowser, why would you not use bowser since he is the raddest party member in the game. But then you also get peach, and why would you rock the nobody over letting the princess finally kick rear end?

It's memetic at this point. Geno is badass and should be in Smash because... he's Geno, and a million other nerds claim to think so, so why don't you?

Though at this point when we've not just got fellow memeticly insisted upon choice Sephiroth but he's one of the more interesting design spaces they've pushed for a character in a while (deliberately tuned high in terms of power and speed, but his attacks have long follow-up animations to leave him vulnerable to punishing) so who the gently caress knows maybe Geno will end up in.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Justice for Mallow, honestly.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Ash Crimson posted:

we need to talk about the destruction of a content creator; the slow inevitable personality death that accompanies each and every single person as their fanbase demands more and more of their humanity

I feel like there needs to be "content creator desperation bingo" cards as changing audiences and the YouTube algorithm drive creators to jump into mukbang, ASMR, creepasta etc. to have something up every week. Or if they've simply run out of stuff in their niche and are trying to find another.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Archer666 posted:

Only mukbang thing I watch is Kinoshita Yuka, only because its surreal watching a small Japanese girl devour in 1 video the same amount of calories I eat in 2 weeks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPtMtCSYmQA
Oh hey, it's the fun part of bulimia!

The Spoony obsession chat has always been creepy. And the endless ,"But, he doesn't make what people pay him to make!", excuses from people who never paid him a dime as to why this stalkerish obsession was still warranted were so stupid. Dude has very obviously been too mentally hosed up to put the energy into doing anything of quality for years and you still expect him to dance for a pay check? Suuure.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Bakeneko posted:

That doesn't excuse all of what he did, especially leaving his patreon up years after he stopped producing anything

Gonna be honest, I still don't get why this is a big deal and why it always gets specifically pinned on Spoony.

Why are the dummies who kept giving him $X a month not culpable for not paying attention and pulling their support? Why is this not a fundamental flaw with Patreon itself, since it seems like that would either be against their TOS or otherwise be something they'd want to crack down on?

Even ITT we would regularly get people stopping by to keep us up to date on how Spoony was still stealing money from honest fans!!!! making money for doing nothing and how this was an outrage.

Idk, the whole thing reeks of weird entitled Kickstarter backer attitudes where people think the money is explicitly transactional - I put money into the Spoony Content vending machine and nothing came out, this is bullshit!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Just crab bucket from people thinking "if I had a mental breakdown I would be immediately fired and homeless"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That...that is what Kickstarter is. You put money in content comes out.

It’s nothing more than that and it absolutely should not be more than that.

Streamer viewers relationship is already hosed up as is

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 10, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That...that is what Kickstarter is. You put money in content comes out.

That's not what Kickstarter is at all, lol.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MechaX posted:

I remember watching that LordKat stream and it was one gigantic train-wreck from start to finish. He even brought Lupa on air for a bit but it's been so long that I forgot if she nope'd out when he started really going off the airs. In that stream LordKat said that Spoony should not only off himself with his brother's service rifle, but he also said one of the most transphobic things I have ever heard in my entire life and tried to painstakingly rope that into Spoony's situation. LordKat is a lovely human being.

The betrayal thing was blown completely out of proportion by him because: 1. lol notch, 2. xcom devs rightfully treated the betrayal thing as a funny harmless joke, 3. if anything, one of angryjoe's disastrous first interview with Geoff Keighley would have been the only thing that would have put a target on their site for anything at all, and even that didn't.
It was at that moment that he completely nuked his stream community which up to that point was a fairly decent place with a bunch of good shows and moments.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

That's not what Kickstarter is at all, lol.
It may not be what it's intended to be, but lawsuits and actual use mean that functionally Kickstarter is a preorder store. The creator isn't obligated to give you a good product, or even specific, but they are obligated to give you a product that at least somewhat resembles the pitch. So like any other pre-order it's stupid unless you're specifically wanting to support a creator without any real demand for a thing in return.

Whereas patreon unless you have one of those weird "talk to me once per month" tiers doesn't actually have any direct promises at all.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

JordanKai posted:

Which is why he should be in Smash.

There's at least 8 or maybe 10 more fire emblem games they need to fit into Smash first, sorry.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I just finished watching Super Eyepatch Wolf's heel turn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqkOfEPqeu0

This oughta keep the thread burning for another month.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

John Murdoch posted:

Even ITT we would regularly get people stopping by to keep us up to date on how Spoony was still stealing money from honest fans!!!! making money for doing nothing and how this was an outrage.

"Where'z my SPOONY MOVIE!?" and so on. I believe that was a promise at a certain tier. It's just... the man had his problems. Let it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I just thought the BETRAYAL!!! thing was funny at the time, I didn't even think of it as a big deal, still don't. The Angry Joe interview with Geoff Kayleigh on the other hand, I still feel second hand embarrassment when I think about that. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I remember.