Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Is this the first chapter to show everyone's hair color besides Frieran's?

Sein had his hair debut in the last chapter, everyone else had their's shown several times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
New chapter: Grandfather Voll

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:qq:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This series is the goofiest melancholy

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Yeah, I didn't need to cry right now.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

New chapter is up.

WARRIOR GORILLA.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

is this the most outright rpg the manga has been so far

i was really glad they all just went "yeah, quests, sometimes someone gives you a bunch of quests" without hanging a giant deadpool hat on it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Patware posted:

is this the most outright rpg the manga has been so far

i was really glad they all just went "yeah, quests, sometimes someone gives you a bunch of quests" without hanging a giant deadpool hat on it

Yeah, it's just "Bet this one's going to be a mess. It's almost always a mess." rather than talking about levels or XP, followed by bringing up how none of the party is any good at diplomacy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, that's ominous

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

This character really is the audience insert character. I'm going to miss him

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

RIP

I'll miss Sein too.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

They are obviously going to follow him right? That’s what Hammel would have done.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
some quality last page fan art

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Ethiser posted:

They are obviously going to follow him right? That’s what Hammel would have done.

It's kind of rude to call the Hero a castrated ram.

Hypocrisy posted:

RIP

I'll miss Sein too.

I knew something was missing last chapter:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 36

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd say that fern needs to leave the nest but it is exceedingly likely that if she separated from frieran she'd die of old age before they met again.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
How old is Fern in relation to the hero Himmels passing? I don't really remember.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

How old is Fern in relation to the hero Himmels passing? I don't really remember.

Frieren met Fern 20 years after Himmel's death and 6 years later she still was shorter than Frieren, so I'd guess she's around 1816 now, which would fit with her being an adult in two years.

-e-
She looks too young for 14 in chapter three, so I'm lowering my guess by two years.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 2, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Huh,
I guess I remembered that quite wrong.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, i thought they'd been traveling for so long that she was in her 20's now.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh, i thought they'd been traveling for so long that she was in her 20's now.

Corrupt PriestHeiter died 5 years ago and Stark joined less than 2 years ago.

-e-
I'm literally looking this up on the fly.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Fern is younger than Stark, who just turned 18 and I don't think it's been quite a year yet since her last birthday so I'd say sixteen or 17.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

I Am Fowl posted:

Fern is younger than Stark, who just turned 18 and I don't think it's been quite a year yet since her last birthday so I'd say sixteen or 17.

This was my impression as well.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

chapter 37

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Looking forward to the tournament arc.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Has Frieren emoted like this ever before? It's funny, but it felt incredibly out-of-place and jarring to me, like I was reading another manga. To be honest, I thought it was some sort of gag photoshop edit the translators put in.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I believe it's established that that dumb face is Frieren rolling a 1 on her Deceive roll.

From the Fern's birthday chapter:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I have a feeling this arc will lack heavy characterization and world-building, like the demon arc. But at least it will be short, if the demon arc is anything to go by. Then we can go back to the good stuff.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

golden bubble posted:

I have a feeling this arc will lack heavy characterization and world-building, like the demon arc. But at least it will be short, if the demon arc is anything to go by. Then we can go back to the good stuff.

Well the very suspicious new mage's name apparently translates to Evil so I'm not expecting much from her characterization.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Other names according to the comments:

Kraft = strength
Genau = precise
Wirbel = whirlwind
Denken = thinking

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I have a feeling this arc will be great, like every arc in Frieran at the Funeral.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i suspect fern will make a new friend, but then she goes through a delinquent witch phase

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Always good to see Monk Kraft....save the lives of some bandits.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
"But it won't be long before you die, right?"
Goddamnn, the two silent panels immediately following that line.

This comic just excels at little fleeting nostalgic moments like that, just packed with subtext, subtle enough to allow for multiple interpretations, whether right or wrong. Were there unresolved Feelings between them? Does she just miss the company? Or is it about how Himmel's quiet forbearance upended her expectations about how to deal with the outside world? He was definitely in no way a conventional hero -- couldn't even fulfill some of the prophecies -- but his memory continues to inspire her in some way.

I also love how she is determined not to let that help her to make the burgeoning feelings between Fern and Stark any less awkward. She's not made of stone, after all, and it is very funny.

In short, this comic owns and really nails certain feelings in ways I wouldn't expect for a fantasy comic.

The mage exam poo poo probably won't last for another chapter or two and will lead to more bittersweet insights.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

Well the very suspicious new mage's name apparently translates to Evil so I'm not expecting much from her characterization.

Eh, It's not exactly evil. Usually that word get's used to express maliciousness, unease or nauseous. I guess the literal translation of Übel is evil, but if I would translate an English text into German, I'd chose the word Böse.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Chapter 38

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

next chapter: battle royale is very literal as the barrier shrinks

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hell yeah sonic boom bird! Gimme more fantasy animals.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i like how the layout of the comic itself and the way the action is framed within the medium puts the reader in the mindset of frieran. like you have decades passing in the space of a few panels, jumps between events decades or centuries prior followed directly by viewing events in the present that make it feel like things change in the blink of an eye, most of the emotional beats are displayed through characters actions and the obvious emotional underpinning of the dialog rather than dramatic art or speeches (the little girl demon in the village scene for example). it really puts you into the head of this practically timeless yet socially awkward and emotionally muted elf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1362820529095389190?s=20