Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Martytoof posted:

Maybe an odd question:

I bought a copy of The Winston's "Amen Brother" that I want to frame because of its historical significance. I bought a custom mat for a 7" 45 but I'm not really sure what the best non-destructive way to hang it inside the frame would be such that it sits centred in the mat. Would something like a 3m command strip do a number on vinyl grooves? Seems preferable to like.. hot snot or something that would basically render the 45 unplayable.

Or maybe a small tack to hold the lip of the giant spindle hole? Even less intrusive but I don't really love how it would be visible.

Comedy option just wood glue it to the frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Hot glue on the label?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SwimNurd posted:

Comedy option just wood glue it to the frame.
Then if you ever want to listen to it, it'll be sparkly clean!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Glues sound scary :ohdear:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Glues sound scary :ohdear:

Why not use like clear rubber thingies on the bottom of the frame so the record sits on those. Like the kind you stick on cabinet doors do they don’t slam. If you sized them right you could do them on all 4 sides and really hold it in place. And it wouldn’t look weird just having them on the bottom.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh that's not bad. Also just found some fairly weak double sided foam tape that only barely sticks to the vinyl so maybe that would be enough to hold it in place with the friction of the glass against the front.

Frame from Amazon will be here tomorrow so I guess I can try a few things :)

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Just put some push pins or something in the inner hole so you can rest the 45 on it

Wouldn't be the most stable option, but there would be no risk of damage.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You could drill a hole in the backing board and plug a pin or short length of metal rod or something through it for the record to sit on. Trip to a hardware store should sort you out.

e: if it's got the big 45 cutout hole, sit it on a foam plug that's just a smidgen wider so it'll compress and hold tight.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 8, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

You could drill a hole in the backing board and plug a pin or short length of metal rod or something through it for the record to sit on. Trip to a hardware store should sort you out.

e: if it's got the big 45 cutout hole, sit it on a foam plug that's just a smidgen wider so it'll compress and hold tight.

Oh yeah, this is the best way

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking you could use a 45 adapter to serve as the mount, so you don't hurt the poor grooves, and it will look really cool too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh man I really love the idea of the 45 adapter. I'll have to see what Amazon can next-day.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

you could do two 45 adapters, even, where one is affixed to the backing, the other is glued to that, the one that sticks out, you just pop the record onto it. maybe a three-stack if two isn't enough clearance.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m just 3D printing a few adapters. Seems like the perfect solution here.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Could probably twisty-tie the adapter to the backing too, maybe with some little foam spacers. Use the same color twist tie and you'd hardly notice.

If you're 3D printing your own you could easily add some sort of mounting point to the back, too.

e: mount it on one of those cheapo clock motors from a diy kit so it spins in the frame :v:

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 8, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh if I'm 3D printing this I'm happy to just glue the adapter right to the backing board. If the need should arise I can just pop a different 7" on there but I expect this one'll be on my wall forever :)

It actually never occurred to me to print my way out of this until the adapter was mentioned.

e:

That worked a treat. I found centre of the backing by doing corner-to-corner X and hot glued the adapter right to the middle, everything came together from there. It IS actually centred, the shadows are just making it look funky in these photos. Thanks everyone!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 8, 2021

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

That Paul Leary record showed up this weekend. Had totally forgotten I had ordered it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJuAChXT8xM

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Martytoof posted:

Maybe an odd question:

I bought a copy of The Winston's "Amen Brother" that I want to frame because of its historical significance. I bought a custom mat for a 7" 45 but I'm not really sure what the best non-destructive way to hang it inside the frame would be such that it sits centred in the mat. Would something like a 3m command strip do a number on vinyl grooves? Seems preferable to like.. hot snot or something that would basically render the 45 unplayable.

Or maybe a small tack to hold the lip of the giant spindle hole? Even less intrusive but I don't really love how it would be visible.

Play it don't display it. But if you must they make little stand thingys that you can sit the record on to show it off.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

CPL593H posted:

Play it don't display it. But if you must they make little stand thingys that you can sit the record on to show it off.

honestly, 7" records are fine to decorate with (as long as you do it without damaging the record). they mostly have generic sleeves so they aren't much to show off just on a shelf, and the impracticality of listening a bunch of 7" records at once means that most people only get them as fun collectors' pieces anyways (plus i've never seen a 45 in a record store dating from before 1975 that didn't sound like complete garbage)

speaking of this, though, i just bought some little tiny record wall shelves from etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/800449222/vinyl-record-shelf-album-wall-mount?ref=yr_purchases

i got the command strip ones since they seem the least likely to damage the walls of this apartment, but i'm now starting to regret it. they're "rated for 1 pound" which more or less means i'm limited to single LPs, i think, and even that seems potentially dicey. the same seller actually has a "extra strength" one that's just... the same shelf but with a bit more surface area and two more command strips, and i probably should have gotten that instead

i don't see any catastrophic reviews, at least. what's the worst that happens if you drop a record stood up on end? probably would crack the poo poo out of the bottom of it, right?
(if they end up being too flimsy for anything else, i have some card-stock art prints that would probably sit up okay on them, at least...)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 9, 2021

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

they mostly have generic sleeves so they aren't much to show off just on a shelf, and the impracticality of listening a bunch of 7" records at once means that most people only get them as fun collectors' pieces anyways

Get out of punx :colbert:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Martytoof posted:

Oh if I'm 3D printing this I'm happy to just glue the adapter right to the backing board. If the need should arise I can just pop a different 7" on there but I expect this one'll be on my wall forever :)

It actually never occurred to me to print my way out of this until the adapter was mentioned.

e:

That worked a treat. I found centre of the backing by doing corner-to-corner X and hot glued the adapter right to the middle, everything came together from there. It IS actually centred, the shadows are just making it look funky in these photos. Thanks everyone!

That looks nice, I should do something like that with my Ink Spots "I Don't Want to Set the World On Fire" 78.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, this copy of Amen Brother is visually good but actually has a few scratches that makes it annoying to listen to. It’s fine, mostly, but I’m OK putting it up on the wall because of its historical significance. In the end it’s all non-destructible so if I ever feel like it I can pull it down and feed it through the LP120 :)

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

abraham linksys posted:

honestly, 7" records are fine to decorate with (as long as you do it without damaging the record). they mostly have generic sleeves so they aren't much to show off just on a shelf, and the impracticality of listening a bunch of 7" records at once means that most people only get them as fun collectors' pieces anyways (plus i've never seen a 45 in a record store dating from before 1975 that didn't sound like complete garbage)

I agree that singles can be a pain to listen to but I don't think most people buy them as novelties? I like DJing and making mixes with them and sometimes when we are sitting around listening to records we toss them on in between albums. Just something quick while you search for the next record. I started buying them because they could usually be found for a buck or so and you didn't have to buy an entire album for a one hit wonder. Also in the 90's the 'cool' bands would put them out with rare b-sides and poo poo. Sucks that $10 has sort of become the low end price for them. I collect modern funk and soul but gently caress paying $10-15 plus shipping for a couple of songs.

This is how I display my 7in records.

...almost all of them

sporklift fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 9, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anybody think that the bubble will burst eventually and records will go back to being sold for realistic prices or is this just what it is now?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Thinking about upgrading my turntable. Right now I have a Stanton STR8-80 (since discontinued), it's served me well but I noticed it does have some issues with inner-groove distortion & quite frankly I don't know if the sound is as clean as it should be. It's a straight underhanging arm, which I've come to realize is pretty rare, since you really *can't* align them properly. The upside is it's good for scratching, something I haven't done in years (I bought this thing in 2005!!)

Anyway I've been looking at a few replacements and kind of settled on this - was wondering if anyone's got one and how they like it. Price is good, reviews seem pretty positive.....what do y'all think???

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N3S4X3P

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

CPL593H posted:

Does anybody think that the bubble will burst eventually and records will go back to being sold for realistic prices or is this just what it is now?

https://pitchfork.com/news/vinyl-outsells-cds-for-the-first-time-in-decades/

It may depend on whether the bubble is built on the nostalgia wave or people collecting to have tangible items. On one hand I would love for prices to go back down, on the other hand the easy access to represses of previously unattainable items is amazing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

beeker posted:

https://pitchfork.com/news/vinyl-outsells-cds-for-the-first-time-in-decades/

It may depend on whether the bubble is built on the nostalgia wave or people collecting to have tangible items. On one hand I would love for prices to go back down, on the other hand the easy access to represses of previously unattainable items is amazing.

For a lot of people it just seems to be a novelty so that's why I'm wondering if things will start shifting back to normal when that novelty wears off. Probably not, but I'd like to think so.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

https://twitter.com/billysezvinyl/status/1357380751319269376?s=20

https://twitter.com/billysezvinyl/status/1357380752162365446?s=20

It's healthy.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

JAMOOOL posted:

Thinking about upgrading my turntable. Right now I have a Stanton STR8-80 (since discontinued), it's served me well but I noticed it does have some issues with inner-groove distortion & quite frankly I don't know if the sound is as clean as it should be. It's a straight underhanging arm, which I've come to realize is pretty rare, since you really *can't* align them properly. The upside is it's good for scratching, something I haven't done in years (I bought this thing in 2005!!)

Anyway I've been looking at a few replacements and kind of settled on this - was wondering if anyone's got one and how they like it. Price is good, reviews seem pretty positive.....what do y'all think???

It is literally impossible to go wrong with an AT-LP120

I don’t remember how the 120X is different but I’m pretty sure you’re good to go. Also wowza I’m glad I bought my table in 2017 for $187, they sure have gone up in price huh. /CPL593H

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Hopefully more plants get built soon

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
feel like Covid has been juicing the sales somewhat, as it's exactly the sort of insular & dorky hobby that you actually can get into right now

in general I've always thought of the vinyl resurgence as a response to streaming so I wouldn't expect it to just suddenly crater

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I would imagine prices for outdoor/social things will jump whenever we hit an alright spot. More or less the inverse of stationary bikes and free weights doubling in cost. While vinyl will be popular, I’d imagine some of the gouging will go down.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

I kinda think new pressings will stay high in price. 1. The labels are getting what they are asking for so why lower the prices. 2. Didn't a major pressing plant burn down? This coupled with the fact that new machines aren't being made and I believe the price of raw vinyl going up contributed to a little bump. It is kinda bonkers though. Something like the Weeknd's new album is $40 for some reason and then some other new records are going for $15. Also the labels always have those crazy sales. Even with those 40% discounts you can be sure they are still profiting.

I hope the second hand market calms the gently caress down though. I'm putting together a Valentines Day set and the first two records I slapped down are going for a combined $1000. I bought both new for $15-20 when they came out. They are scuffed and scratched from years of DJing and I would love cleaner copies but I ain't paying those prices.

The records in question.

https://www.discogs.com/Nathaniel-Merriweather-Presents-Lovage-Avec-Michael-Patton-Jennifer-Charles-Music-To-Make-Love-To-Yo/release/129229

https://www.discogs.com/Beck-Midnite-Vultures/release/261598

I think the Beck masters were destroyed in that huge fire and so probably unlikely to get a real repress. Dunno about Lovage. Maybe the sample clearances make the repress too cost prohibitive.

I really miss going to record stores in general but I really miss finding some heat in the $1 bins.

pwn
May 27, 2004

sporklift posted:

It is kinda bonkers though. Something like the Weeknd's new album is $40 for some reason and then some other new records are going for $15.

I have considered ThE wEeKnD to be more marketing than music, based solely on how he advertises on Facebook. I am not interested in even seeing if I saved screencaps of it but to sum up it was FOMO hyperdrive. This ballcap will only be available tomorrow, and it’s $40. That kind of poo poo. It was a pretty hearty lol. He produces bangers but his poo poo is violently overpriced because he can get it.

Mind you this was a little over a year ago, before marketing for virtually everything became FOMO-driven.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Fake scarcity aside, a $25 new release record today is the same price as a $14 new release CD in 1993 thanks to inflation.

pwn
May 27, 2004

stealie72 posted:

Fake scarcity aside, a $25 new release record today is the same price as a $14 new release CD in 1993 thanks to inflation.

Counterpoint: These Matador releases I bought new in 2008, with price stickers still attached.

Ah, the 2000s.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

I kinda think new pressings will stay high in price. 1. The labels are getting what they are asking for so why lower the prices. 2. Didn't a major pressing plant burn down? This coupled with the fact that new machines aren't being made and I believe the price of raw vinyl going up contributed to a little bump. It is kinda bonkers though. Something like the Weeknd's new album is $40 for some reason and then some other new records are going for $15. Also the labels always have those crazy sales. Even with those 40% discounts you can be sure they are still profiting.

I hope the second hand market calms the gently caress down though. I'm putting together a Valentines Day set and the first two records I slapped down are going for a combined $1000. I bought both new for $15-20 when they came out. They are scuffed and scratched from years of DJing and I would love cleaner copies but I ain't paying those prices.

The records in question.

https://www.discogs.com/Nathaniel-Merriweather-Presents-Lovage-Avec-Michael-Patton-Jennifer-Charles-Music-To-Make-Love-To-Yo/release/129229

https://www.discogs.com/Beck-Midnite-Vultures/release/261598

I think the Beck masters were destroyed in that huge fire and so probably unlikely to get a real repress. Dunno about Lovage. Maybe the sample clearances make the repress too cost prohibitive.

I really miss going to record stores in general but I really miss finding some heat in the $1 bins.

I'm really more concerned with the used market because a lot of poo poo I want to buy new comes from the smaller labels who don't really price gouge for the most part. The fact that old used Prince records retail for 30 bucks and up is absolutely outrageous. New poo poo costing more makes more sense for the aforementioned reasons. But stuff that has hundreds of thousands or even millions of copies floating around? Get the gently caress out of here with that poo poo. There's also something else specific to me, but there's some guy in my area who's been going around for the last several years hoarding records. He'll go to flea markets and buy out record booths and then just stash the poo poo in a garage. He has thousands of records that he doesn't even sell. It would make sense if he wanted to open a store but from what I know through mutual friends and acquaintances he doesn't have any designs on that. I've met him before and he seems like an acid casualty or something. He's only in his late 20s and from what people seem to know he doesn't do anything that makes him enough money for this bullshit so he's probably got parents that bank roll this. Total dickhead.

As for Beck he addressed that and said a bunch of his recordings were safe from the fire but he didn't specify which ones. Either way I'm not holding my breath on Midnite Vultures getting a reissue. I'm glad I picked up Mellow Gold and Odelay when those were still available because I don't know what's going on with those right now.

stealie72 posted:

I have records from 2010ish that still have the old price tags on them and they're half of what those exact albums sell for now. I don't think inflation has gotten that bad since then.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
was just thinking about this - when i started buying records about five years ago, i feel like i usually expected around $16.99 for a 1LP, $23.99 or so for a 2LP. throw a couple extra bucks on those for limited editions, 180 gram versions, etc

the last few new records i bought, though: $22, $21, $21, $18 for single LPs direct from labels. maybe that's partially to cover for bands not touring last year, but it was a bit of a surprise. that track with what yall are seeing? lotta $30 2LP sets too. some labels still seem to have what i think of as "normal" pricing (e.g. domino has some $24 2LPs)

the used market is weird, i dunno. i think part of it is record stores being fully closed for operation or increasing their prices to cover less frequent business - there's basically less liquidity in the market, which has exacerbated people doing bored speculation from home? personally i've just stopped buying used records since i don't really trust discogs. this has had a good side effect of forcing me to listen to new music and give money to new bands that need it (though right now i'm also thinking of dropping $25 on a fuckin repress of duke so not always sticking with this)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

was just thinking about this - when i started buying records about five years ago, i feel like i usually expected around $16.99 for a 1LP, $23.99 or so for a 2LP. throw a couple extra bucks on those for limited editions, 180 gram versions, etc

the last few new records i bought, though: $22, $21, $21, $18 for single LPs direct from labels. maybe that's partially to cover for bands not touring last year, but it was a bit of a surprise. that track with what yall are seeing? lotta $30 2LP sets too. some labels still seem to have what i think of as "normal" pricing (e.g. domino has some $24 2LPs)

the used market is weird, i dunno. i think part of it is record stores being fully closed for operation or increasing their prices to cover less frequent business - there's basically less liquidity in the market, which has exacerbated people doing bored speculation from home? personally i've just stopped buying used records since i don't really trust discogs. this has had a good side effect of forcing me to listen to new music and give money to new bands that need it (though right now i'm also thinking of dropping $25 on a fuckin repress of duke so not always sticking with this)

The biggest problem with the used market is people with more money than sense not being able to wait until the come across any given record another time. There are so many times I've seen an example of one single moron paying way too much for an album on ebay or discogs and now that's The Price.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

JAMOOOL posted:

Oof I know everything is being gauged at the moment, but I paid $249 for mine the week they came out. Following that link shows me almost double that.

It is a solid turntable that’ll work fine out of the box though, and definitely has enough improvements over the regular 120 to go for the X version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

We really should put "you can't go wrong with the AT LP120" in the thread title :v: