Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I remember playing Kingdom Hearts day 1 and saying out loud "what the actual gently caress" at the inverse horizontal camera controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Morpheus posted:

That...Japanese Resident Evil-like horror game whose name eludes me at the moment (you play three character going through a shrine that's been taken over by monsters) had camera-relative controls with the option to use tank controls, and it was pretty good.

The fighting sucked, but that's something else.
Yeah, that's Kuon.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think that Phasmophobia focuses a little too much on figuring out what type of ghost it is. I'd love a second phase where you have to attempt an exorcism or help wrap up procedurally-generated unfinished business.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I've thought that, have the cleanup crews equipment be based off of what ghost you picked during investigation so you could end up with a easy bust or a hard one depending on how accurate you are.

Phasmophobia with a budget is hopefully in the works somewhere

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

The Chad Jihad posted:

I've thought that, have the cleanup crews equipment be based off of what ghost you picked during investigation so you could end up with a easy bust or a hard one depending on how accurate you are.

Phasmophobia with a budget is hopefully in the works somewhere

And if not that, routing player speech through Windows speech recognition feels like a gimmick other developers are going to steal.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
A fifth player joins partway through the match. They own the house and want to know what the gently caress you're doing here.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The ending screen should be the survivors at Applebee’s toasting the fallen party over the $20 they each got for identifying a murderous ghost.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Phasmophobia in VR is scary and fun. It becomes less scary when you find out that a ghost can't kill you when you're literally lying on the ground. Then it becomes fun again when you lead the ghost to kill your teammates if they're annoying.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

is the lying on the ground strategy still valid? i thought the dev fixed it

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I haven't played in a few weeks. I might be very surprised next time I play

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj_wHTKSPlg

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That doesn't look happy at all!!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I still vividly remember a dream where I'm in bed in a large, empty gray room with a single door attached to nothing and a Freddy Krueger type guy in a baggy coat and fedora busts down the door while instantly growing impossible large to loom over me in bed.

Later I learned "lanky man in a hat" is a common dream image in multiple unrelated civilizations and cultures and I want to beat this dude up for scaring me so badly.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Im only up to the 2nd zone, but Little Nightmares 2 is nice so far. Had some really odd glitches and a moment I got stuck because I was dense and also because I've gotten used to games highlighting interactives for you.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

al-azad posted:

I still vividly remember a dream where I'm in bed in a large, empty gray room with a single door attached to nothing and a Freddy Krueger type guy in a baggy coat and fedora busts down the door while instantly growing impossible large to loom over me in bed.

Later I learned "lanky man in a hat" is a common dream image in multiple unrelated civilizations and cultures and I want to beat this dude up for scaring me so badly.

Oh yeah it's one of the most common descriptions sleep paralysis sufferers provide of the shadow people.

e: "A person is angry at their nightmares and goes into their own mind to beat up their nightmares and finally get a good night's sleep" sounds like a baller action-platformer.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Do I need to pay the 4 bux for Little Nightmares 1?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mindblast posted:

Im only up to the 2nd zone, but Little Nightmares 2 is nice so far. Had some really odd glitches and a moment I got stuck because I was dense and also because I've gotten used to games highlighting interactives for you.

Yeah as somebody who played the crap out of #1 and 100%’ed it, I’m definitely enjoying the second one. My only real gripe is that I feel like I’m getting stuck on geometry way more often—like, if my character brushes against anything, they lose all momentum and slow down to a crawl or stop entirely. Don’t remember having this many issues with the original game, which felt like it controlled very well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Danknificent posted:

Do I need to pay the 4 bux for Little Nightmares 1?

Yes it's good and like 3 hours.

Pope Guilty posted:

Oh yeah it's one of the most common descriptions sleep paralysis sufferers provide of the shadow people.

e: "A person is angry at their nightmares and goes into their own mind to beat up their nightmares and finally get a good night's sleep" sounds like a baller action-platformer.

"I am a manifestation of your guilt and shame prepare to be tortured" square up dream man, I'm whooping your sorry rear end.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
FINE JEEZ I'LLL BUY it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

al-azad posted:

That's why I always bring a pistol to bed, so I can comically shoot off his hat as he walks up to me

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just finished little nightmares 2.

Game good.

Will go back and do the rest of the trophies this weekend.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have been always interested in the look of Little Nightmares. This is kind of a hilarious question to ask the horror thread, but how lousy is it and the sequel with jump scares? That said I do have the first game (probably from some bundle from way back) so I should work up the courage to play that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm also curious how long Little Nightmares 2 is? The original looked pretty neat but it seemed like a small enough game that I never got around to buying a copy to play rather than watching an LP.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

I'm also curious how long Little Nightmares 2 is? The original looked pretty neat but it seemed like a small enough game that I never got around to buying a copy to play rather than watching an LP.
Howlongtobeat says it's about five and a half hours.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Unlucky7 posted:

I have been always interested in the look of Little Nightmares. This is kind of a hilarious question to ask the horror thread, but how lousy is it and the sequel with jump scares? That said I do have the first game (probably from some bundle from way back) so I should work up the courage to play that.

There's like no jump scares, it's just generally creepy. It's a good weird unsettling horror game without being too scary or gimmicky. Just play it why haven't you played it yet

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Howlongtobeat says it's about five and a half hours.

I consistently forget that site exists despite asking about game lengths multiple times :tipshat:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Don't worry about it, I was wondering myself anyway. I tried playing the first game but gave up after half an hour because it seemed like I was just wandering vaguely rightwards with nothing appearing to really happen. Maybe Little Nightmares 2 will be more my kind of thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Don't worry about it, I was wondering myself anyway. I tried playing the first game but gave up after half an hour because it seemed like I was just wandering vaguely rightwards with nothing appearing to really happen. Maybe Little Nightmares 2 will be more my kind of thing.

the sequel is the first game but moreso, there's no real difference in structure

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, that saves me the bother of trying it out and refunding it, then. Thanks.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I just got around to playing Edith Finch, and once I saw House of Leaves was one of the books in the house it really helped put me in the frame of mind to get the most out of it. I milked two days out of it and will definitely revisit it.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 13, 2021

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Little Nightmares II feels kinda rough, I really liked the first one but this one lacks the tension of the first and there's too much "combat" and it's pretty bad. Feels like they ran out of ideas for really creepy enemies this time around and used up all the good ideas in the first game. The teacher was pretty creepy and the hunter in the beginning but there's just something missing. Also the environments aren't as interesting as the the ones in the first game.

I feel like I'm close to the end and I haven't experienced anything too memorable. Pretty disappointed here.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

So I just started playing The Forest - seems like an adult version of Minecraft, right?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

IT BURNS posted:

So I just started playing The Forest - seems like an adult version of Minecraft, right?

I mean, in the sense that every shooter in existence is a doom clone, yes, but building is more secondary to exploration. There is a plot and things to find to advance said plot, and the building is largely functional rather than for its own sake.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Little Nightmares has a bafflingly bad opening level but the next level is the janitor with 20’ long arms and that’s where the real game starts.

But vaguely running right I mean cmon it’s a cinematic platformer that’s what you do.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean, in the sense that every shooter in existence is a doom clone, yes, but building is more secondary to exploration. There is a plot and things to find to advance said plot, and the building is largely functional rather than for its own sake.

Cool. I can't figure out what the gently caress to do, honestly. I've stumbled across a few cannibal encampments, but I can't find any of the caves, there's no map (yet, I guess), I cant find a lot of the crafting ingredients, and I've seen maybe 5 cannibals total. For some reason I also keep waking up at night. It's a neat exploration game but I'm sort of lost.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

IT BURNS posted:

Cool. I can't figure out what the gently caress to do, honestly. I've stumbled across a few cannibal encampments, but I can't find any of the caves, there's no map (yet, I guess), I cant find a lot of the crafting ingredients, and I've seen maybe 5 cannibals total. For some reason I also keep waking up at night. It's a neat exploration game but I'm sort of lost.
The more you build, the more cannibals you will start to encounter. Feeling lost is kind of the point. Look for caves.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cardiovorax posted:

The more you build, the more cannibals you will start to encounter. Feeling lost is kind of the point. Look for caves.

Also it's often a lot easier to find caves that open vertically and require rappelling down rather than the ones tucked away in rocks. They are the same cave systems, giant holes in the earth are just easier to see than grassy entrances.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I beefed up my home base, went out exploring and encountered two of those multi-arm mutants. They hosed me up, I got sent to a cave, but at least I have a map and a compass now! I'll go back and revisit some of the other empty cannibal villages and see if I can find any of the "well" cave entrances.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sounds like you're having the full experience of it, then. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/thinkiamsad/status/1360848925377363973?s=19