Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Patware posted:

new 'round these parts?

I’m an old timer who remembers the days when they were shocked to have hit 4 hours lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

I’m an old timer who remembers the days when they were shocked to have hit 4 hours lol

Matt was the limiter who kept the podcast from getting too long.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Baron Snow posted:

Matt was the limiter who kept the podcast from getting too long.

What did Liam do?

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

The sickest burns.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Tell me how that makes you feel.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Tell me how that makes you feel.

Holy poo poo that was legendary

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My absolute favorite is from Friendcast 89:

*Matt unsubscribes from a weird black dating site text he got from letter time*
Matt: I'm good, I have all the black people I need!
*beat*
Matt: Well, obviously I mean other friends-
Woolie: I'll make sure not to introduce you to anybody! God forbid we go over the quota!
*20 seconds later*
Liam: Wait how is your maximum cap limit one three-fifths of a person?
*jesus christ*
Woolie: Liam, I want you to stand up I'm giving you a hug now. I taught you well (x2)
Pat: I'm sweatin' so hard right now
Woolie: *segues* Matt what the gently caress did you do with your week?
Pat: Good luck finding a worksafe version of this podcast title!
*beat*
Woolie:....Three fifths the fun! :v:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 9, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I wonder if he’ll ever pop up on the CSB podcast, they had good energy. Or did he and pat not get along? I can’t remember who allegedly said what.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I got the impression that Liam and Pat had friction, somewhat evidenced by the Woolie/Pat and Matt/Liam split. I think it's also a bit of Liam wanting to do their own thing?

Particularly given Woolie shooting down the notion of a "reunion" sort of thing I imagine that's something they'll probably just avoid in general?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Considering Matt's wife declared war when pat tweeted at Liam, yeah bad poo poo is forever there.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Warbird posted:

I wonder if he’ll ever pop up on the CSB podcast, they had good energy. Or did he and pat not get along? I can’t remember who allegedly said what.

I think Matt couldn’t take anymore of Pat and a massive blowup happened and that’s how it ended so there’s 0% chance of a reunion.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

They'll probably do a 1 off reunion thing in the future

Not anytime soon tho

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Oh, there is a 13 Sentinels spoilercast, for the guy who was wondering why the podcast almost 6 hours long

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Any chance of that making an appearance on PC? I’d love to give a try but I’m not buying a console for it. I’d prefer to avoid spoilers but if that poo poo isn’t happening then gently caress it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Warbird posted:

Any chance of that making an appearance on PC? I’d love to give a try but I’m not buying a console for it. I’d prefer to avoid spoilers but if that poo poo isn’t happening then gently caress it.

History says no. They can barely afford to make games, let alone hire a pc port team.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Tae posted:

History says no. They can barely afford to make games, let alone hire a pc port team.

If there's any chance, it'd be SEGA by owning ATLUS, who is the publisher, deciding to get a developer to port this to PC and attempt a Switch version (it Should be possible, but the combat stuff makes a vanilla PS4 chug real bad in the final missions so that's the hard part) due to how well it did. But if it's just up to Vanillaware or ATLUS, then yeah, doesn't look likely.

As for friendships. There was a point where Liam publicly said Pat was not his friend, then Matt's wife getting upset on twitter over Pat reaching out when Liam played a bit of Warframe, and finally Best Friends FINAL where they explain Matt and Pat stopped being friends which lead to the end of the channel (and i think its been credibly speculated that a blow out happened on the day they were meant to record a Smash Ultimate fisticuffs)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGZwKwH7-Yc
Not even the episode preview will save you from 13 sentinels opinions :parrot:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

I think Matt couldn’t take anymore of Pat and a massive blowup happened and that’s how it ended so there’s 0% chance of a reunion.

I mean it's partly that Matt was sick of Pat but let's not gloss over the part where Matt still had a larger share of the money than anyone else did

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Rody One Half posted:

I mean it's partly that Matt was sick of Pat but let's not gloss over the part where Matt still had a larger share of the money than anyone else did

At a point where he wasn’t really going on the podcast anymore, and iirc wasn’t doing a lot of LPs, either.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I still think that it's completely and utterly fitting that the final piece of gameplay footage on the channel was Ursula murdering Matt and Woolie going 'FUUUUCK' as Sora died. :sigh:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Vandar posted:

I still think that it's completely and utterly fitting that the final piece of gameplay footage on the channel was Ursula murdering Matt and Woolie going 'FUUUUCK' as Sora died. :sigh:
Nah it's okay I never ever liked the Kingdom Hearts Franchise.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Rody One Half posted:

Matt's behavior was also toxic as gently caress in the last year or two of their collaboration: if you're struggling to get along with someone you deal with it or find a way to restructure your thing so the two of you aren't working together. Just showing up and being a passive-aggressive dick is unacceptable in a professional environment, especially when you're the boss.

I've always assumed it was a 4-way gangbang: Pat's a weird rear end in a top hat man, Matt's a passive-aggressive piece of crap, neither handles conflict well, and after however many years it'd just hit a point where none of them wanted to work together anymore.

Funnily enough, the mermaid battle where they quit was the exact place I'd quit when I played KH as a kid, and the main reason I was following the LP was out of curiosity over what I'd missed out on.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Grouchio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGZwKwH7-Yc
Not even the episode preview will save you from 13 sentinels opinions :parrot:

Bad ones, at that. Not that it's terribly surprising Woolie has incredibly hot takes given how he latched onto and shat constantly on certain characters.

I'm looking forward to getting around to the spoiler cast to hear what Pat has to say as I have a strong feeling I'm going to be far more on his side of things regarding opinions on characters.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I think the point where I started noticing something wrong was the RE5 LP. Pat was being aggressive about how Matt played (give me that, not gonna upgrade your gun, etc.), and Matt barely said a word for whole episodes.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I think it was the Demon's Souls stream, for me- Matt very obviously didn't want to be there, 90% of his interjections were yelling pop culture words or telling the others how little he cared about Demon's Souls, and the poor dude spent the entire stream drinking himself into a coma.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
He was much more involved with the Dark Souls 3 LP and streams though. I think he just didn't care about Souls at that point.

The RE5 LP is totally unwatchable though due to both Pat and Matt's attitudes.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Blockhouse posted:

He was much more involved with the Dark Souls 3 LP and streams though. I think he just didn't care about Souls at that point.

The RE5 LP is totally unwatchable though due to both Pat and Matt's attitudes.

Matt hated Souls games until Bloodborne came around and hit his specific buttons, yeah. Though that was partially Liam's fault.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think there was also the leak that Pat and Woolie refused to go to patreon and instead continued to rely on youtube and occasionally some random bullshit vimeo or something service.

Which tracks with Woolie, dude had to be pulled by the teeth to finally regularly stream on twitch to get actual money.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

I think it was the Demon's Souls stream, for me- Matt very obviously didn't want to be there, 90% of his interjections were yelling pop culture words or telling the others how little he cared about Demon's Souls, and the poor dude spent the entire stream drinking himself into a coma.

That was a really disappointing playthrough. I was actually just like Pat in that I picked up Dark Souls and threw it right back down, thinking it wasn't for me. It was years later when I saw their DS2 LP and Pat explained away a lot of the mystery in the mechanics that I was able to finally pick up and play through the series. I liked all of their Souls playthroughs, even the DS3 one where Matt may as well not have been there. I was looking forward to the DeS run as I had no real interest in finding my PS3 to go back and try it, but woof was that a bad stream. Liam and the one guest were constantly doing the "oooooh wait until you get to the next room, Woolie!" type of stuff and the video quality was not great.

Just looked it up, and there were like no Matt/Pat playthroughs after RE5, just stuff like Shitstorm and some quickies.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Pennsylvanian posted:

Just looked it up, and there were like no Matt/Pat playthroughs after RE5, just stuff like Shitstorm and some quickies.

Oh no, there was definitely one more. The cursed Star Trek game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pennsylvanian posted:

That was a really disappointing playthrough. I was actually just like Pat in that I picked up Dark Souls and threw it right back down, thinking it wasn't for me. It was years later when I saw their DS2 LP and Pat explained away a lot of the mystery in the mechanics that I was able to finally pick up and play through the series. I liked all of their Souls playthroughs, even the DS3 one where Matt may as well not have been there. I was looking forward to the DeS run as I had no real interest in finding my PS3 to go back and try it, but woof was that a bad stream. Liam and the one guest were constantly doing the "oooooh wait until you get to the next room, Woolie!" type of stuff and the video quality was not great.

I've probably said it in this thread a handful of times but I had a friend who was a huge fan of Souls, gifted it to me on Steam, and I basically did the same; got frustrated early, put it down, forgot about it.

When they got around to DS1, Pat explaining how to build a character and seeing Woolie beat Tauros (where I got stuck/gave up?) made me give it another shot. It was a total blast to get ahead of Woolie and know what was coming. I'm pretty sure I actually watched all the DS3 LP, but remembered so little of it that it wasn't a problem when I got around to playing it.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Yeah, honestly I wouldn't ever expect a reunion. There may be a behind the scenes bit of healing but I wouldn't ever expect it to go public. It's apparent that whatever happened was fuckin rough and as much as I'd like a reunion, I'd rather those dudes just be happy and content. Friendships just don't workout sometimes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The current set of playthrough leave me pretty cold. I'm not really in the headspace for more Kotor 2 so maybe I'll go back to Pat's run at some point (I did just watch his Y7 run now that I'm done with mine though), and Woolie's playthroughs are all disasters right now because of Brainworm Theories+Stop&Talk (13s), Woolie being an AWFUL copilot (DeS), or Little V and him being Japan And Politics Understanders (Y0).

The latter is a particularly huge bummer, I was so looking forward to that. Maybe I'll just jump in at the highlights, like the sewers.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I've probably said it in this thread a handful of times but I had a friend who was a huge fan of Souls, gifted it to me on Steam, and I basically did the same; got frustrated early, put it down, forgot about it.

When they got around to DS1, Pat explaining how to build a character and seeing Woolie beat Tauros (where I got stuck/gave up?) made me give it another shot. It was a total blast to get ahead of Woolie and know what was coming. I'm pretty sure I actually watched all the DS3 LP, but remembered so little of it that it wasn't a problem when I got around to playing it.

My problem with Souls was the stats. I didn't really understand scaling and if there were diminishing returns on stats, and what I should be chasing. Any time I'd ask Souls people, though, they'd say something like "Get the Drake Sword and Dragon Crest shield, and then go to..." I could not get them to understand that numbers was where my brain block was. Just having Pat say "this is how scaling works, and the ceiling for DEX/STR is 40. Now let's have some fun," was what cleared up the fog and just let me start digging into the games.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 10, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Tae posted:

Oh no, there was definitely one more. The cursed Star Trek game.

Yeah, I was dense enough that I didn't notice the RE5 roughness, but the Star Trek one was absolutely some very rough "let's try and get our spark again..." pre-divorce energy.

And I agree that I doubt there'd ever be a reunion. If Matt and Liam become friends again with Pat, I'd just assume that by default there'd be a huge "never work together again" asterisk. And with friendship thus healed with Woolie, I'd see Matt not really wanting to co-stream and SPECIALLY NEVER wanting to go on a podcast. Woolie and Liam doing stuff together could totes happen probably. I hope me interpreting these people's personal and professional lives isn't too grouchio.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

Yeah, I was dense enough that I didn't notice the RE5 roughness, but the Star Trek one was absolutely some very rough "let's try and get our spark again..." pre-divorce energy.

And I agree that I doubt there'd ever be a reunion. If Matt and Liam become friends again with Pat, I'd just assume that by default there'd be a huge "never work together again" asterisk. And with friendship thus healed with Woolie, I'd see Matt not really wanting to co-stream and SPECIALLY NEVER wanting to go on a podcast. Woolie and Liam doing stuff together could totes happen probably. I hope me interpreting these people's personal and professional lives isn't too grouchio.

Matt and Woolie hung out off camera pre-covid and Liam did stuff with Woolie but it went kinda bad. I kinda assumed those were all under the "we don't go public outside of occasional instagram" level but at this point, speculating is just gonna drive me mad.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

TheManSeries posted:

Matt and Woolie hung out off camera pre-covid and Liam did stuff with Woolie but it went kinda bad. I kinda assumed those were all under the "we don't go public outside of occasional instagram" level but at this point, speculating is just gonna drive me mad.

I think there was a podcast where Woolie mentions running into Matt during a con and that it was kinda awkward? Its been over a year so I doubt my memory and there's no way I can track that down. I thought the timeline of Woolie and Liam stuff was Nier Automata which ended just around the time the channel did

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Souls games have this weird thing where, like, obfuscating mechanics is baked into the early games' DNA, and I have ton of friends who love it, but for me and a bunch of people I know, understanding the wtfs of the core mechanics was the big building block. I started with DS1 and had a friend go "Okay, here's how it works: you eventually want endurance to 40, vit to whatever, then either dex or str to 40. Don't bother with magic on your first playthrough, only screw around with stat allocations once your damage stat and end are maxed out. If you get lost, look at item descriptions." That was enough to get me past, like, 75% of the frustration, and random nudges in the right direction got me the rest of the way there.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How would you rank the Demons Souls Remake LP with Woolie/Reggie in comparison to Matt/Pat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I have a huge unfair bias against Woolie, since his passive-aggressiveness and inability to articulate himself bugs the crap out of me, but that's a me problem, not a him problem. Objectively if the matt stream was a 6/10, I'd probably give Reggie souls a 7.5/10 and bump it up to an 8 if Woolie the Bad Advice Goblin wasn't constantly whispering "Souls is FGC, stop exploring the mechanics at your own pace and play like I played." The SBF stream had terrible audio, that weird thing where GermanSpy was on speakerphone and 30 seconds behind the rest of the stream, terrible stream quality, drunk matt, and the insane decision to make woolie both the controller guy and the stream admin/chat guy. By comparison the Woolie Stares At; Ultra Despair Reggie version has great video, about as good audio as we'll ever get out of woolie, and watching Reggie himself bumblefuck through the thing is legit entertaining as hell when Woolie isn't saying "Let's do a trust fall" and then dropping him into a pit full of hornets.