Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

CoolCab posted:

not a ton of fibre in the diets of rich men?

I wonder about this a bit. I remember reading that Heian Japanese nobility ate a shockingly bad diet; lots of nice expensive and tasty ingredients, which they would obviously value, but not remotely nutritious, to the point the nutrition deficiencies / diseases caused by them are visible (in their skeletons, or the literature? I forget). I wonder how true that is in most old cultures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My favorite new to me idea is that Sumerians came from the flooded valley of the Tigris and Euphrates that is now the Persian gulf at the beginning of the Holocene

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

My favorite new to me idea is that Sumerians came from the flooded valley of the Tigris and Euphrates that is now the Persian gulf at the beginning of the Holocene

I mean, it nicely explains the flood story that eventually became noah's ark. The end of the last ice age caused massive ocean level changes. The straight of hormuz used to be coastal land and the arabian peninsula wasn't a peninsula at all. Plus it explains where the sumerians came from, because they're not the same people who lived in the area of Ur prior to that.

It's quite possible that some forms of writing are older than we know because all of the records have long since been swallowed by the sea.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Koramei posted:

I wonder about this a bit. I remember reading that Heian Japanese nobility ate a shockingly bad diet; lots of nice expensive and tasty ingredients, which they would obviously value, but not remotely nutritious, to the point the nutrition deficiencies / diseases caused by them are visible (in their skeletons, or the literature? I forget). I wonder how true that is in most old cultures.

One of the Japanese holidays has a custom of eating certain kinds of beans that is directly related to the lack of nutrition in certain diets. Forgot what it was tho.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is underwater archeology a thing?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

It sure is

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_archaeology

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

It certainly is! Here are some cool examples.

This is also a nice BBC doc if you can find it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6vvBzAvN0w

Ancient shipwrecks are also amazing:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/archaeologists-discover-3600-year-old-14286476

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/2018/10/black-sea-shipwreck-archaeology-map/

I tried to find a good youtube about the mesolithic finds in the North Sea from the lost Doggerland and evidence of the tsunami that hit it, but there's so many amateur documentarists now it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBfy2_NyBVU

So Time Team will do. Note that many docs on this topic tend to conflate the drowning of the land with the tsunami. I'm sure the tsunami didn't help, but it wasn't the cause of the drowning.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

cheetah7071 posted:

As posted above it very much is and is super neat.

Als fun fact GPR doesn't work where there is heavy amounts of saltwater because the salt fucks it all up.

I really want the field to get more neat tools because it has the potential to answer a metric gently caress ton of questions about the peopling of the Americas.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s really funny how mad Christians must have got when those cuneiform tablets started getting translated and oops your entire religion is copied

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

euphronius posted:

It’s really funny how mad Christians must have got when those cuneiform tablets started getting translated and oops your entire religion is copied

What I've learned about political propaganda the last few years says they just went "Uuhmm...it's proof that I was right all along! Yeah that's it! Also at this part where it's broken off, it's supposed to say that people who disagree should be killed asap and their money given to nice priests."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Word of god? More like word of Gog lol

(Enlil I know )

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean, it nicely explains the flood story that eventually became noah's ark. The end of the last ice age caused massive ocean level changes. The straight of hormuz used to be coastal land and the arabian peninsula wasn't a peninsula at all. Plus it explains where the sumerians came from, because they're not the same people who lived in the area of Ur prior to that.

It's quite possible that some forms of writing are older than we know because all of the records have long since been swallowed by the sea.

I think the archeological record shows cuneiform developing wholly in (above ground) southern Iraq but I don’t know for sure

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

euphronius posted:

I think the archeological record shows cuneiform developing wholly in (above ground) southern Iraq but I don’t know for sure

The development of Cuneiform writing is quite well attested. There are a lot of proto-cuneiform tablets from the 4th millennium BC that show the very early stages of cuneiform writing developing.

A visual example of the development of cuneiform:

Tablet dating to 3500-3350 BC:

Tablet dating to 3350-3200 BC:

Tablet dating to 3200-3000 BC:

Tablet dating to 2900-2700 BC:

Tablet dating to 2700-2500 BC:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I work with remote sensing in my day job so this was a super cool watch. Not at all surprised photogrammetry is the current best technique, that seems pretty universal any time you're working with a small enough area you can cover it with photos in a realistic time frame and budget

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Right so they were already in post flood Iraq for thousands of years before they started cuneiform

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

euphronius posted:

Right so they were already in post flood Iraq for thousands of years before they started cuneiform

If we are defining "post flood" as starting around 9000 BC with the beginning of the Holocene, then yes, its much later then that. The earliest proto-cuneiform goes back to around 3300 BC, maybe 3500 BC if you are very generous about how you define proto-cuneiform.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This says Persian gulf flooded @6000 bce

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Glacial_Maximum

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

totally normal then

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

euphronius posted:

I think my last favorite thing of this kind is the Green Sahara.

Or more dubiously, Tartessos-as-Atlantis.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
At work, we have a 4-metre pole we use to open high windows. I've used it, and my question is: how on earth did large groups of spear/pikemen manage to walk around without constantly accidentally stabbing their friends?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

very carefully

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I thought this was an interesting read about how we shouldn't assume human societies for most of human history were composed of small, egalitarian bands and that complex societies are a rare exception to that.

https://aeon.co/essays/not-all-early-human-societies-were-small-scale-egalitarian-bands

I knew about some of the stuff in there but I'd never heard of the Calusa in Florida, that must have been quite a sight back in the day. It's an interesting point in here about lavish burials of very young people in the palaeolithic, they couldn't have lived long enough to "earn" this distinction so it makes sense that there was something else going on.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Koramei posted:

At least one of them was beri-beri.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takaki_Kanehiro

It ravaged the upper classes of Japan for centuries. It also reemerged in post war Japan as the economy started booming and people started eating almost exclusively white rice again.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

At work, we have a 4-metre pole we use to open high windows. I've used it, and my question is: how on earth did large groups of spear/pikemen manage to walk around without constantly accidentally stabbing their friends?

FreudianSlippers posted:

very carefully

lol

but for real it was basically just that. that's why training is important. macedonians also carried their pikes in two parts on marches, though the main reason was probably that it was easier and cheaper to get two shorter hafts than one long one. perhaps the two part hafts also bent less?

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 9, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Marching around in formation, in general, is a lot harder than it looks. I've never carried a pike but marching shoulder-to-shoulder and rear end-to-cartouche with a hundred of your closest friends, while hauling a rifle around, is really difficult.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tree Bucket posted:

Training, and the sarissa seems to have been two pieces that you screwed together when it was time to fight. Still talking about two poles of two or three meters each, but easier to handle.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Why not have a sarissa partner and carry them between you like a stretcher with the luggage in the middle?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Marching around in formation, in general, is a lot harder than it looks. I've never carried a pike but marching shoulder-to-shoulder and rear end-to-cartouche with a hundred of your closest friends, while hauling a rifle around, is really difficult.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRQqe7HwJEg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They probably had a baggage train for carrying polearms and other unwieldy supplies long distance as most armies do.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They probably had a baggage train for carrying polearms and other unwieldy supplies long distance as most armies do.

Yeah I found this passage in the Anabasis:

quote:

The first thing which I recommend is to burn the wagons we have got, so that we may be free to march wherever the army needs, and not, practically, make our baggage train our general. And, next, we should throw our tents into the bonfire also: for these again are only a trouble to carry, and do not contribute one grain of good either for fighting or getting provisions. Further, let us get rid of all superfluous baggage, save only what we require for the sake of war, or meat and drink, so that as many of us as possible may be under arms, and as few as possible doing porterage.

They definitely had more stuff than they could carry just on the backs of the soldiers.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Mr. Nice! posted:

F’htagn. It’s certainly a plausible hypothesis that there was a traumatic flood event somewhere in prehistory, given the frequency with which it pops up among unrelated cultures. But it might just be that floods happen everywhere and everyone hates them.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

Beefeater1980 posted:

F’htagn. It’s certainly a plausible hypothesis that there was a traumatic flood event somewhere in prehistory, given the frequency with which it pops up among unrelated cultures. But it might just be that floods happen everywhere and everyone hates them.

Evidence in favor of the latter theory is the presence of flood myths in Andean cultures, which have no connection to the middle east.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

euphronius posted:

IIRC Genesis says Abraham came from Ur.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Koramei posted:

Not a lack of nutrition, but gout.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

CrypticFox posted:

Evidence in favor of the latter theory is the presence of flood myths in Andean cultures, which have no connection to the middle east.

China, too. There's a flood myth but it's completely different than the one in Mesopotomia : it's pretty much about people figuring out how to avoid flooding by making drainage canals, no annoyed gods trying to destroy humanity.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Grevling posted:

I thought this was an interesting read about how we shouldn't assume human societies for most of human history were composed of small, egalitarian bands and that complex societies are a rare exception to that.

https://aeon.co/essays/not-all-early-human-societies-were-small-scale-egalitarian-bands

I knew about some of the stuff in there but I'd never heard of the Calusa in Florida, that must have been quite a sight back in the day. It's an interesting point in here about lavish burials of very young people in the palaeolithic, they couldn't have lived long enough to "earn" this distinction so it makes sense that there was something else going on.

Noice.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Floods are very common natural disasters and people are very creative in their storytelling and use what they know to build an exciting narrative. I think that goes a long way to explain flood myths in particular, but all kinds of myths as well. It needn't be a point-for-point match up between the historical events and the mythological constructs, because you can never account for what was accurate, embellished, inspired by, mixed into previous myths etc.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Grevling posted:

interesting stuff

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

CrypticFox posted:

We know for a fact that a or multiple asteroid/comet/whatever hit the ice caps around 12 000 years ago. The evidence is undeniable and in 2018 a 21miles side crater was found under the ice which so far everything points to having been made at that time.

I'm no scientist, but i'm betting millions of tons of ice got vaporized on the spot, falling back down as rain over the course of months. Probably even more ice melted almost immediately or over the course of weeks raising the level of the oceans dramatically. There is no doubt in my mind there was a world wide flood. Not one that flooded the whole earth or anything, but one that raised the levels of the oceans by alot and they never really went back down. I'm convinced this is where the idea of a worldwide flood comes from and it's time for historians to accept this idea and stop bleating about multiple small floods as if they believe the ancients were idiots who had no idea what they were talking about.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/massive-crater-under-greenland-s-ice-points-climate-altering-impact-time-humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
An asteroid of the size needed to make that crater would not be large enough to cause the ridiculous global flood scenario you described.