Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DarkstarIV posted:

Coming out of my posting hiatus for a bit to nominate:

wmotyc: lacey evans vs charlotte flair raw 2/8/21

Awful, awful match. nothing but botch after botch after botch. On top of that, both women are completely unlikable.

I stand with Darkstar, nth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

Awful, awful match. nothing but botch after botch after botch. On top of that, both women are completely unlikable.

loving hell, how bad was the match?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jerusalem posted:

02/07 | Mecha Mummy vs. Hyper Misao - Chris Brookes Produce Show 2 (6 votes)
Let me put this over the hump! Seventhed!

Also adding a HM for Baliyan Akki vs Konosuke Takeshita from the same show.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Vagabundo posted:

loving hell, how bad was the match?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/lftpwk/raw_spoilers_charlotte_has_to_remind_her_of_the/

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:stare:

:stare:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Together these women have 4 years experience in the ring

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

this person was used to coach and judge the ability of sammy guevara

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It's almost like if you treat training as a way of crafting professionals instead of a way of squidging people into premade molds you end up with better results. Who knew?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

jesus WEP posted:

this person was used to coach and judge the ability of sammy guevara

i know that stands out alongside that WWE poo poo talked and got rid of John Morrison because he was trying too hard/wanted to be a wrestler (and its 2021 and they still are treating him like this) but in between all that i can't be the only one who remembers Stone Cold kicking out Matt "M-Dogg 20" Cross because he was too good and trying too hard as well.

They hate anyone who is already good and trying. Hell we can view that the main roster just kills the talent and their souls but it seems legit part of agenting for the main roster that they get told to work slower/more methodical/WWE style and its just unequivocally worse.

Fake edit: gently caress I can't find it because he deleted his twitter but when AJ Styles debuted in the WWE of all people Curtis Axel poo poo talked him on twitter and some genius just posted pictures of their individual "championships and accomplishments" sections on wikipedia to burn him.

Real edit: it wasnt Curtis Axel it was Alex Riley. Even funnier.

Lid fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 9, 2021

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

WMOTYC: Charlotte vs. Lacey Evans, WWE Raw 2/8
WMOTYC: Lana vs. Nia Jax, WWE Raw 2/8

WOMEN'S EVOLUTION.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Velociraptors eventually evolved into turkeys, evolution isn't necessarily good

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

WMOTYC: Charlotte vs. Lacey Evans, WWE Raw 2/8
Charlotte is massively overrated and Lacey Evans is awful

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lid posted:

but in between all that i can't be the only one who remembers Stone Cold kicking out Matt "M-Dogg 20" Cross because he was too good and trying too hard as well.

Who knows what got left on the editing room floor, but from memory wasn't the problem actually that Cross was trying not to be too flashy to avoid getting marked down as trying too hard or being over-the-top, and it backfired because Austin wasn't seeing anything special from him, and when Cross realized he was going to get cut he said,"Oh I can get in the ring now and do poo poo that'll blow your mind!" and Austin said,"You probably can but it's too late now"?

It's been a long time since I watched it, but I am pretty sure it was more a case of Cross misjudging (understandably) what WWE wanted and kind of just being "there" on the show as a result.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

It's been a long time since I watched it, but I am pretty sure it was more a case of Cross misjudging (understandably) what WWE wanted and kind of just being "there" on the show as a result.

The truth is WWE didn't give a poo poo about his indie cred and anything he'd done would have been wrong

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Who knows what got left on the editing room floor, but from memory wasn't the problem actually that Cross was trying not to be too flashy to avoid getting marked down as trying too hard or being over-the-top, and it backfired because Austin wasn't seeing anything special from him, and when Cross realized he was going to get cut he said,"Oh I can get in the ring now and do poo poo that'll blow your mind!" and Austin said,"You probably can but it's too late now"?

the part that I remember was Cross being asked to do an exhibition with Luke Robinson to show his personality, where Luke took control of the match and got a lot more shine. Which was a bullshit challenge because Cross was just being a good worker.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
WMOTYC: Charlotte Flair vs. Lacey Evans, WWE Raw, 1/11

It's sad that my attempt to stay caught up on the worst matches of the year so far has involved or will involve watching WWE women's matches.

Edit: Adding some more to avoid a double post:

WMOTYC: Charlotte Flair vs. Peyton Royce, WWE Raw 1/18
WMOTYC: Charlotte Flair, Dana Brooke & Mandy Rose vs. Lacey Evans, Nia Jax & Shayna Baszler, WWE Raw 1/25

HM: AJ Styles vs. Ricochet, WWE Raw 1/18

Flair-Royce is probably the best of the WMOTYCs I'm tossing out, but it's still around a half star and pretty dire at points. The six woman tag is just an absolute mess - Charlotte doesn't look good, and the finish is either botched or just completely awful.

Styles-Ricochet was pretty good, even wrapped in all of the stuff I hate about Raw in 2021 and the fact that Ricochet is a total joke.

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 9, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

got around to watching this and nth lmao

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
HM: Trey Miguel, Willie Mack, Josh Alexander, and Suicide vs. Ace Austin, Blake Christian, Chris Bey, and Daivari, Impact 2/9

A good, long match that got me to realize that most of the guys could be reasonable Impact World Champions, let alone X-Division Champions.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

HM: Joey Janela vs. Jack Evans, AEW Dark 2/9

Super fun, indie-rear end match.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
23rd January
Ice Ribbon #1095 Winter Story
ICEŚ∞ Title
Suzu Suzuki (c) vs Tsukasa Fujimoto

God this ruled. Somehow Fujimoto is twice as old as Suzuki who must be the best teenage wrestler in the world.

(For the record, the only matches I have rated higher than this from this year are Ibushi White, Takagi Tanahashi & Takagi Cobb, so really heavily recommending it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA4Nmtm1GnA

here's the match btw, heavily recommended. Tsukka goes nuts

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

2nd, Tsukka went insane in this match, some absolute ludicrous counters from her. Now I feel even worse about not being there.

+1

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Pylons posted:

HM: Joey Janela vs. Jack Evans, AEW Dark 2/9

Super fun, indie-rear end match.

Yeah, I'll Nth. This was chaotic fun.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
23rd January
Ice Ribbon #1095 Winter Story
ICEŚ∞ Title
Suzu Suzuki (c) vs Tsukasa Fujimoto

God this ruled. Somehow Fujimoto is twice as old as Suzuki who must be the best teenage wrestler in the world.

(For the record, the only matches I have rated higher than this from this year are Ibushi White, Takagi Tanahashi & Takagi Cobb, so really heavily recommending it.)

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA4Nmtm1GnA

here's the match btw, heavily recommended. Tsukka goes nuts

nth

While I'm not sure I have the context/knowledge to fully appreciate this match, if every match was wrestled like this one I'd be very happy.

A perfect combination of good wrestling technique and layout. A little bit of everything in just the right amount.

If you're seeing Ice Ribbon and thinking that this match might be a litte goofy, it ain't in the slightest. Well worth checking out.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WMOTYC: GoD vs. Dangerous Tekkers, NJPW New Beginning in Hiroshima, 2/10

I don't even care if you liked the story or the finish, we didn't need to sit through 30 loving minutes of extremely mediocre GoD wrestling to get there. Absolute waste of time.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
MOTYC: Nanae Takahashi & Arisa Nakajima vs Momo Watanabe & Saya Iida, SEAdLINNNG Shibkiba Night, 10th February

I feel like 'four people beating the poo poo out of each other' is overplayed as a description for a match but that sums this match up. It was a preview match for Nanae vs Momo at the Budokan and if that gets close to this then its very good. Seeing Arisa Nakajima face the other two was great since that's a combination that's entirely new and probably not one we'll see again; and Iida was great in the match as well. Well worth going out of your way to see: just a very good, heated interpromotional match.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Are SEaDLINNNG just doing PPV now? I can't afford that :(

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

MOTYC: Nanae Takahashi & Arisa Nakajima vs Momo Watanabe & Saya Iida, SEAdLINNNG Shibkiba Night, 10th February

I feel like 'four people beating the poo poo out of each other' is overplayed as a description for a match but that sums this match up. It was a preview match for Nanae vs Momo at the Budokan and if that gets close to this then its very good. Seeing Arisa Nakajima face the other two was great since that's a combination that's entirely new and probably not one we'll see again; and Iida was great in the match as well. Well worth going out of your way to see: just a very good, heated interpromotional match.

2nd

For a match that was building up Momo vs Nanae I enjoyed the Arisa vs Iida parts the best

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
HM: SHO vs. Hiromu Takahashi, NJPW New Beginning Hiroshima 2/10

Really good, but didn't quite hit the highs I was hoping for and dragged at points. Felt like one of those NJPW main events that just goes long for long's sake, and could've been improved cutting 10-15 minutes. This HM means I both loved the match and wished it could've been even better.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
MOTYC: Hiromu Takahashi vs SHO NJPW The New Beginning in Hiroshima 10.02

The mad lads did it. Absolute beautiful brutality.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: Hiromu Takahashi vs. SHO, 10/02

They tried hard but the match dragged in places and the crowd was kinda dead, the lads are capable of better

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Benne posted:

Really good, but didn't quite hit the highs I was hoping for and dragged at points. Felt like one of those NJPW main events that just goes long for long's sake, and could've been improved cutting 10-15 minutes. This HM means I both loved the match and wished it could've been even better.

This is fair so I'll 2nd it. Went too long, didn't reach the heights you come to expect from Hiromu, but it was still a good much.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Benne posted:

I'll second the HM. A hot crowd would have probably lifted it over the top, man I am hoping for vaccinations to reach a point where we can have proper crowds back again.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

HM: Hiromu Takahashi vs. SHO, 10/02

They tried hard but the match dragged in places and the crowd was kinda dead, the lads are capable of better

Nthing this

God I miss proper crowd noises so much :smith:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Benne posted:

I'm going with a nth here. It was very good verging on a motyc but not quite there.

A bit flabby. The BOSJ match was better

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC: Hiromu Takahashi vs SHO NJPW The New Beginning in Hiroshima 10.02

The mad lads did it. Absolute beautiful brutality.

almost an HM but I'll give it a MOTYC nth. Really smart, logical, defensive wrestling mixed with some great brutal bumps and spots. Not the match people expected I think, but it's worth going out of your way to see. SHO will be a megastar

also

HM: Master Wato vs BUSHI, NJPW The New Beginning in Hiroshima 10.02

this was good. Wato isn't particularly great but he has a rawness and spontaneity to him that's really fun to watch.

Low Desert Punk fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 10, 2021

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Are SEaDLINNNG just doing PPV now? I can't afford that :(

It would not stun me if this appears on Stardom World at some point soon: they used to do that with matches that Stardom wrestlers had outside Stardom all the time; and this is building up a Budokan match. Hopefully it does so everyone can watch it!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

It would not stun me if this appears on Stardom World at some point soon: they used to do that with matches that Stardom wrestlers had outside Stardom all the time; and this is building up a Budokan match. Hopefully it does so everyone can watch it!

It's less this specific match & more just I really got into SEAdLINNNG last year to the point they & Ice Ribbon were the 2 Joshi promotions I paid the most attention to so I'll be bummed. Already missed Oni Ni Kanabo dropping the tag titles because it was a PPV. I already stretch my budget just with streaming services, never mind adding PPVs onto that.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Shinkiba shows were either lost to history or uploaded as a music video prior to them getting a streaming service so it's not like you're losing out on matches that you'd have seen otherwise. I'll post the match once the PPV expires and is unavailable legally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Yeah to this point its been shows that you'd have gotten heavily clipped versions of with terrible background music if you were lucky: so I'm fine with it. Ideally they'd do what Marvelous and Ice Ribbon do and have a place where PPVs go after the time has gone so you can watch them legally there but who knows; perhaps they might do that in the future.