Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I didn't like mgs5 when i first played it but i was kinda expecting a more zany story orientated thing and then i got that with Death Stranding so be careful what you wish for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Both games are a real showcase of Kojima's strengths and weaknesses. At their best they are brilliant and at their worst they are disastrous. His staff is consistently very talented though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hey this, uh, Bloodborne game is hard. Guess that's why I've put off playing it for three years after I stole it from my brother.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1359425970000732160?s=19 was there a goon in this thread waiting for it to go on sale or was that the ps5 thread?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I played through MGS1-4 and 5 doesn’t feel anything like a MGS game, and what’s even weirder is when you talk to fans who really LIKED MGSV they even concede that it is radically different from the rest of the series and then the plot is so hosed up and bad that people don’t even think of V as being related to the series at large, lmao, because basically nothing of consequence happens

But Revengance is the best game in the series anywho.

I played through the incredible intro sequence and just couldn’t believe how boring and brown the game got, like immediately.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MGSV felt a lot like MGS3 to me tbh.
The subsistence missions in V (both of them :( ) are like the best pieces of games I’ve ever played.
The forest battle with the five snipers before you rescue the old dude is totally MGS3-style.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Whelp I have survived the Persona 5: The Anime: The Game obligatory beach episode and I also accidentally got into a relationship with Ann. I wasnt expecting that to happen but I guess I probably should have. I was only trying to max out her confidant whoops

It’s possible to max out a lady’s confidant in PS5 and stay in the friend-zone but you have to choose a very specific dialogue option and it isn’t exactly clear.

In true Anime fashion every single female character, including the ones much older than you, wants to date the male lead and you have to work hard to keep them in the friend zone.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Solaris 2.0 posted:

It’s possible to max out a lady’s confidant in PS5 and stay in the friend-zone but you have to choose a very specific dialogue option and it isn’t exactly clear.

Eh, there's a specific "I should think about my reply to this carefully" string of text that precedes any romance-style text, which is usually something like "I'm going to fight hard for you"/"I'm going to fight hard for the team", I didn't find it a problem.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

This is all you need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaLiLRVeaZA

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Solaris 2.0 posted:

In true Anime fashion every single female character, including the ones much older than you, wants to date the male lead and you have to work hard to keep them in the friend zone.

Dating more than one female character in P5 is also... inadvisable...

Albeit rather amusing.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Gort posted:

Eh, there's a specific "I should think about my reply to this carefully" string of text that precedes any romance-style text, which is usually something like "I'm going to fight hard for you"/"I'm going to fight hard for the team", I didn't find it a problem.

Yea that's true. Just don't do what I do sometimes when its 2am and I'm tired and rush through the dialogue options lol.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
My favorite part of the Persona series is just how rooted in fantasy it is.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

I played through MGS1-4 and 5 doesn’t feel anything like a MGS game, and what’s even weirder is when you talk to fans who really LIKED MGSV they even concede that it is radically different from the rest of the series and then the plot is so hosed up and bad that people don’t even think of V as being related to the series at large, lmao, because basically nothing of consequence happens

But Revengance is the best game in the series anywho.

I played through the incredible intro sequence and just couldn’t believe how boring and brown the game got, like immediately.
It's a huge budget prequel to resolve a plot hole from the first two Metal Gear games that most people probably aren't even aware was there.

That owns.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Akuma posted:

It's a huge budget prequel to resolve a plot hole from the first two Metal Gear games that most people probably aren't even aware was there.

That owns.

It's so unnecessary and ridiculous, I kind of love it.

It would be like if Tolkien had lived to be 100, became bitter about the success of Lord of the Rings and pressured into pushing out sequel after sequel by his publisher, and finally ended up writing a book that's longer than LOTR and even more meandering, but details what exactly the eagles were doing that made them not show up until the end of the story.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Akuma posted:

That owns.

It's half of a huge budget prequel to resolve a plot hole from the first two Metal Gear games that most people probably aren't even aware was there.

It's also an excuse for Kojima to hang out with Kiefer Sutherland.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Akuma posted:

That owns.

2 plot holes when you consider the nuke disarmament chapter 2/mp plot and there being zero nukes in mg1&2. owns alot, cept for konami artificially making more nukes in the ps4/xbox versions to prolong the MB coin sham so unless you have a ps3 or hacked pc version then no one will ever see it outside of youtube.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 10, 2021

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yea that's true. Just don't do what I do sometimes when its 2am and I'm tired and rush through the dialogue options lol.

Yeah I wasnt paying much attention either and the two dialogue options were "you've got me" and "you've got the team" and I thought the first one was just gonna give me more points, not have the main character go in for a kiss completely uninvited

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I gotta get around to P5. It’s so drat long though. I love jungian/etc bs and weird horny japanese content a lot. And jazz. The jams I’ve heard from P5 sound like Chick motherfuckin’ Corea at times.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

It's also an excuse for Kojima to hang out with Kiefer Sutherland.

They can't have hung out long, Sutherland has like eight lines in the game.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I gotta get around to P5. It’s so drat long though. I love jungian/etc bs and weird horny japanese content a lot. And jazz. The jams I’ve heard from P5 sound like Chick motherfuckin’ Corea at times.

Can recommend. Definitely play the Royal version though, lots of good quality of life updates in there. It does make the game longer, but length isn't really a problem unless the game gets boring, which it didn't for me.

And make sure you bring the appropriate Persona for the Confidant you're going to spend time with, that makes a huge difference over the course of the game.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you love Japanese Jazz this game will be straight up your alley. Some of my hours are just letting the music play in the background. It's so goddamn good.

Here is a live performance from the artist who performs most of the songs with vocabulary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO1fg0C7cDo

This one is my favorite battle song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec4YbVP9R-A

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Persona 5 Royal is a weird game for me because it’s extremely fun to play even if at times I literally hate what is happening on screen.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Persona 5 Royal is a weird game for me because it's extremely fun to play even if at times I literally hate what is happening on screen.

Ah, the interactions between the male characters and Ann.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have an infinite capacity for uncomfortably anime anime poo poo so I’ll be into it. Seriously those jams though... :swoon:

I’ll have to do it when I’m all out of big games to play for a while. You may read that and laugh while saying “haha, kilometers you fool, when do you think that will happen?” and

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Jesu Christi, Concrete Genie literally looks as good as a Pixar movie :stare:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Persona 5 has some really bad, cingeworthy scenes involving every character being horny and perverted to Ann. And let's not even talk about how there are literally only three LGBTQ characters (again im only 65 hours in..) and two of them are just awful stereotypes (and apparently this is DOWNLPLAYED in the Royal version...holy poo poo) and the other is handled a bit better but still gets a cross-dressing joke.

It's just bad especially in this day and age. The FF7 remake took what was originally a cross-dressing joke against Gay people and turned into into a very positive, and empowering scene. There's no reason the Persona 5 devs couldn't do the same in Royal.

With that said, it's not a problem restricted to Persona 5 and it is a hhhuuuugeeee issue in Anime in general. Thankfully, rest of the game is so goddamn good you can overlook these issues, for the most part.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 10, 2021

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Yeah I've lost count of how many :ughh: I've had playing this game so far

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Kilometers Davis posted:

I love jungian/etc bs and weird horny japanese content a lot. And jazz.

Make sure you play Catherine, then.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 10, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I never beat Spelunky 1 after 60+ hours with the game and after 10 hours with Spelunky 2 I still have yet to see 4-1

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

in metal gear solid 5 you can spin your mechanical fist until there's a massive lightning storm. the boss could never

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vikar Jerome posted:

@BeanpolePeckerwood AC!D/2 and Ghost Babel and Revengeance and Solid Snake and MG and..... snakes revenge isnt half bad :colbert:

Ghost Babel I'll give you, and it's great.

AC!D and AC!D 2 are not MGS games, they're MGA games

Reveangence is an MGR game

anything released before '98 is just an MG game

and V is a Hitman game

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Revengeance is an excellent game, but it really isn't a Metal Gear Solid game by any definition, no - both in name and in gameplay.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Whelp I have survived the Persona 5: The Anime: The Game obligatory beach episode and I also accidentally got into a relationship with Ann. I wasnt expecting that to happen but I guess I probably should have. I was only trying to max out her confidant whoops

That was a really charming moment honestly.

TheCenturion posted:

Make sure you play Catherine, then.

Catherine is really good, one of the best puzzle games of the last 20 years.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Catherine has some really loving terrible treatment of transpeople, from what I hear about it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Catherine is fun as heck but also has some extreme :yikes: going on, which is magnified 1000000 fold in Full Body.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Catherine has some really loving terrible treatment of transpeople, from what I hear about it.

Yeah, I don't really have the ability to comment on that properly, but it's a really good game from a gameplay and art direction standpoint, and the story is often charming and funny. The main character is an obnoxious fuckup, and the writing has some oldschool cultural prejudices of japanese society written in there.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
There's straight up trans panic "humor" riddled throughout the game, and Full Body turns it up to a billion with a storyline I just can't describe, you have to look it up.

It's obnoxious because Hashino doubled down on everything wrong with the first one's narrative after quite a bit of pushback. The story is otherwise charming and the game is fun as heck, which makes the whole thing very conflicting to play.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, I don't really have the ability to comment on that properly, but it's a really good game from a gameplay and art direction standpoint, and the story is often charming and funny. The main character is an obnoxious fuckup, and the writing has some oldschool cultural prejudices of japanese society written in there.

:yeah:

I absolutely loved it back on the 360. Those were the days! I’d like to try the new one eventually but the ‘log.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Catherine Full Body adding a robust online multiplayer mode and HD quality, but the small-but-dedicated Catherine multiplayer community rejecting it because of how toxic and lovely all the new story material was, real mood

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

There's straight up trans panic "humor" riddled throughout the game, and Full Body turns it up to a billion with a storyline I just can't describe, you have to look it up.

It's obnoxious because Hashino doubled down on everything wrong with the first one's narrative after quite a bit of pushback. The story is otherwise charming and the game is fun as heck, which makes the whole thing very conflicting to play.

I thought Rin was a cool character and a great addition to the story, but that's prolly not the point you're making yeah. I'll admit I don't pay as much attention to these things as I should. I'm pretty sure most media that overtly references sexuality in Japan could qualify under "panic", even back to the days of Ranma 1/2 or whathaveyou. But then again there are huge swaths of america that are sexually repressed and regressive, too. I'm glad the zoomers are more open to talking about and addressing those issues tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A random episode of Ranma 1/2 in high school was the first anime I ever watched and it put me off getting into the larger sphere for several years