Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I just got this game. I have been swinging my sword at goliath for a long time and dying. This fight is incredibly tedious, am I missing something? How long is this fight supposed to take exactly? It took me several minutes of hitting him to get to the third stage, I usually get impatient and die before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The bosses in general are going to be big blobs of health and since you're just starting out you don't have all of Neros tools available to make things go faster. The best thing you can really do at the moment is throw out color ups and charge shots if you bought them in between just kinda hitting him a bunch. Also remember you can plant up to 3 Overture bombs on him for lots of extra damage. Breaking Gerbera in the air is good too when he's in the church since it's a very cramped space so he will get hit by a ton of the lasers too.

Jack Trades posted:

What's with the hitbox on the Yamato in DMC5? I can't seem to clash anything with Yamato at all. Mirage Edge and Beowolf, clashing with enemies all day no problems, but Yamoto is no bueno for some reason.

The hitboxes on it are pretty thin and the first strike being only with the scabbard can lead to having to be more precise than you'd want to be. Where as ME and Beowolf are huge and throw out big rear end hitboxes for days.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 5, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Sanctum posted:

I just got this game. I have been swinging my sword at goliath for a long time and dying. This fight is incredibly tedious, am I missing something? How long is this fight supposed to take exactly? It took me several minutes of hitting him to get to the third stage, I usually get impatient and die before that.

Have you played any games in the genre before? It's a different skillset and mentality to anything else so it will definitely take some adjustment.

First off, if it's your first time playing, play on Human. By the standards of like "I've never played something in this genre before" Human is Hard and Devil Hunter is Very Hard, even though they are the Easy and Normal difficulties.

While DMC allows you to be very aggressive, fundamentally what you need to learn first is how to dodge. Like most games, your dodge has iframes, so when Goliath swings at you, you often want to dodge through the limb he's swinging at you rather than away from it. Every single attack he can do has big tells, he gives you plenty of time to avoid them all. You just need to pay attention to him more than to Nero. While the boss fights aren't that long on the normal difficulties, they aren't meant to be over very quickly. That said, if you really want to speed the fight up, Gerbera's air Break Age (release the button after holding it down for 3 seconds) does disgusting damage to him in the second area since it's so enclosed.

While this is a bit counter to the last point, try not to just be blindly mashing attack. It doesn't really help you learn anything. There are very simple things you can do that will get you more style and damage than just sitting there mashing the button. Do your standard combo, then back + hold Y to launcher (won't launch him but it will launch you since you held it), do a couple hits of your air combo, then back + Y to re-ground yourself, basic combo again, Streak into him, whatever.

Something new players won't necessarily pick up on right away is that you're meant to let go of lockon sometimes. It's useful for repositioning since you move much faster when not locked on, but also you HAVE to let go of it to use certain moves (namely devil breakers, otherwise you just snatch). If you get knocked away, let go of lock on as you run back.

Nero has a mechanic called Exceed that's not focused on nearly enough by the tutorial. If you press L2 with the right timing as your sword is hitting, you'll hear a sound and one gauge of the Exceed bar at the top left will light up. This makes your next attack stronger, and on specials can add extra properties. Always hit L2 after every time you swing, including on specials.

Finally, with Nero, the default controls are particularly garbage. Rebind R2 to shoot and hold it down all the time to charge in the background, then you can fire stronger Color Up shots when you want.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

K8.0 posted:

Also the switch port has the same issues, you just can't fix them. And the cutscenes only run at 30 FPS. And even more effects are broken.

In the end, combining the various fixes from PCGW does result in a good experience, but I also had to frame limit the game to 60 with the Nvidia control panel in order to keep cutscenes synced (the game's internal frame limiter seems to be overly aggressive and drop below 60 during cutscenes sometimes).

I kind of regret getting the Switch version since I have it on PC. I hate playing Dante with the Switch/Xbox stick position. The mods let you change your weapons between two and all. You're always stuck with the whole kit on Switch.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Had another 7 goliath attempts, I might be a lost cause.

I'm getting hit because I dodge too soon or I'm moving forward so I can hit him and press and dodge with forward causing me to jump and getting hit in the air. Takes me 5 minutes to get him to half health, 5 minutes is a ridiculously long time to be hacking away at his heels and not dying imo. I wish I had a way of closing distance quickly. The stupid claw pulls me in the air and I can't dodge in the air so I can't attack while in the air or I'll trade hits. Maybe it's just this boss, but avoiding airborne combat is the complete opposite how I remember combat in the last two DMC titles I finished on devil hunter. :shrug:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Sanctum posted:

I'm getting hit because I dodge too soon or I'm moving forward so I can hit him and press and dodge with forward causing me to jump and getting hit in the air. Takes me 5 minutes to get him to half health, 5 minutes is a ridiculously long time to be hacking away at his heels and not dying imo. I wish I had a way of closing distance quickly. The stupid claw pulls me in the air and I can't dodge in the air so I can't attack while in the air or I'll trade hits. Maybe it's just this boss, but avoiding airborne combat is the complete opposite how I remember combat in the last two DMC titles I finished on devil hunter. :shrug:

If you're dodging/jumping too early, remember that DMC heavily leans into i-frames, so dodging on reaction is the best way forward. Also, you should get Enemy Step and Air Hike ASAP in order to let you play defensively in the air against Goliath, as an extra jump and easy jump resets on his massive frame means you can more or less buzz around him like a mosquito.

BTW, taunting in the air as Nero gets you an extra "jump" along with i-frames and looking real cool.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Can you record yourself or something? Or a clip at least

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Sanctum posted:

You can grab him and then back + y to ground yourself. He doesn't try to melee you unless you're in range to be hit, so he's not going to instantly swing unless you were already so close that you shouldn't have snatched in. You can also get over things by doing jump > taunt (which gives extra height and can also be revved for more damage on your next attack). You can fight Goliath (and most bosses) almost entirely in the air for the most part, but you really need enemy step, Calibur, and Roulette before it's a reasonable approach. Having several Gerbera on you will make it much more practical though, because it gives you mobility that also has iframes.

You can't move while attacking so don't be trying to. You're either in range to melee him, in which case go ahead and hit him, or you aren't, in which case let go of lock on and don't press attack unless you're in range for Streak to hit and it looks to be safe.

If it's taking you 5 minutes to get him to half health, you are just not hitting him/not using Color Up. I just did the fight on Devil Hunter with every single skill unequipped, so literally nothing but Nero's default ground combo, default air combo, Rank 1 Color Up, the launcher, and rank 1 Wire Snatch, not even Split. It took me about 4:30 to kill him and I only got hit out of the air once. Just let yourself fall after doing snatch > air combo and he generally won't hit you. I used one breaker to escape his outside vacuum and that's it. I'm not that good of a player, it's just not that hard and you can easily do this if you take the proper approach.

If your habit is to dodge early, just dodge twice opposite the hand he attacks with first and you'll be behind him and can just hit him for his entire combo. He has a really obvious tell for his backward attack, other than that being behind him is entirely safe, except when he stands up and particles start flying into him from all around which is pretty much a universal "this guy is about to explode, run away" cue in DMC.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 7, 2021

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
My trick to fighting Goliath is that he really can only attack high or low one at a time and has pretty hefty animation lock. So switch up being on the ground and being in the air and you get a bunch of free hits. If you're still in the air and see him coming out of his attack string, get ready to use the plunge attack to hit the ground in a hurry. Also use your devil breakers liberally, Overture does a shitton of damage.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Also, if you don't already know, your normal jump has iframes. Other jumps do NOT. If you have Air Hike/Enemy Step, do not mash jump. You will short hop your first jump for very few iframes, then cancel it into a move which you can (and will) be hit out of.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Tarezax posted:

My trick to fighting Goliath is that he really can only attack high or low one at a time and has pretty hefty animation lock. So switch up being on the ground and being in the air and you get a bunch of free hits. If you're still in the air and see him coming out of his attack string, get ready to use the plunge attack to hit the ground in a hurry. Also use your devil breakers liberally, Overture does a shitton of damage.
Breaking them does like <5% of his health. :confused: I don't use the hand at all except to escape the funnel attacks. I assume there's going to be some other abilities added to the hand other than grabbing and breaking them.

I beat him with a sliver of health, the fight was over 10 minutes. I stayed on the ground the entire time so I could dodge. This isn't fun. :geno:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
You don't need to break them? Just hitting the overture button normally does a nice chunk. Using the break-age ability should do quite a bit more than 5% if you're on Devil Hunter.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Breaking an arm off in Goliath's face isn't really necessary since any Overture or Gerbera's rip his health to part. Gerbera lets you dodge all around everything he does on reaction and close the gap whenever you want.

There's especially no reason to just normally arm break as overcharged Overture mines obliterate Goliath.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Sanctum posted:

I wish I had a way of closing distance quickly.

Have you been buying new moves for Nero? He has a pretty cheap move to close the distance between him and his foe

Also, as others recommended, if you're not playing this on human already definitely throw it on human so you have more room for error

Lastly, maybe check out a no-upgrades playthrough on Youtube to see what other people are doing for that fight. Watching others may give you an idea of what you're doing differently

Good luck!

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
What new moves, and what's overture? IDK what that is, I don't have an overture button yet. I haven't even gotten the upgraded grab range yet which is why I haven't been bothering with it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Overture is the electric arm, the one you started with in Mission 1. Its default skill is an electric shock, it does good damage and a large AOE. Gerbera does a dash, or a blast in front of you if you press B with the stick neutral. You have to let go of lock on to actually use them, it's the same button as Wire Snatch. The Wire Snatch upgrade doesn't change them at all, their properties are always the same. Also, if you hold the button down for 3 seconds (You can do this while hitting Y to combo him) your breaker arm will charge, and then when you release it it will do a skill specific to that arm that consumes it. They're called Break Age, and most of them are very strong for bosses. Overture's Break Age is to stick a bomb into a target that explodes for a lot of damage after a while or when you shoot them. Gerbera has two, a laser on the ground that you aim which requires a good setup, and a much easier to use one if you release it in the air that ricochets around. It's very good in confined spaces.

Similarly, you can hold down the shoot button (again, rebind it to a shoulder button, the default is garbage) and charge it during everything. Always be doing this. Then when you release it you fire a powered up shot, and you have 2 more of them. It's good for damage, style, and CC since it has a lot of hitstun.

The only reason to use Break Away (the move that instantly detonates your arm) on Goliath is to break out of his vacuum. It does do damage and can be used for some more advanced stuff but by the time you understand it well enough, you generally have better options. I recommend rebinding Break Away to the dpad so you never hit it by accident.

In between missions (or when you call Nico's van like before the Goliath fight) you go into customize and buy new moves with red orbs. You definitely want Streak, probably Color Up 2, Wire Snatch 2, generally the cheaper moves are more core. The exceptions would be Air Hike, Enemy Step, and Calibur, all of which are really useful air skills and cost quite a bit. If you want to do a lot of air fighting, prioritize getting those over getting the rank 2/3 versions of skills, except maybe Wire Snatch 2 because the extra range helps a lot.

Honestly if you aren't having fun, take a break for a couple days and come back when you've got a more optimistic attitude. DMC is very demanding but also very rewarding, which is generally not a recipe for a lot of fun when you aren't in the right mindset. You CAN be good at this game, and it's incredibly satisfying to put the skills together. There's just a very large initial wall because you have to get a basic level of competence at multiple skills at once.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 7, 2021

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Sanctum posted:

What new moves, and what's overture? IDK what that is, I don't have an overture button yet. I haven't even gotten the upgraded grab range yet which is why I haven't been bothering with it.

I mean it in the best way possible when i say i am :allears: reading your posts.

Takes me back to when Phantom in DMC1 was the hardest boss i'd fought in a video game.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

From the sounds of it you’re not using your arms for anything but breakaways and grapples, which is probably not helping. Try the B button.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Base Nero with no powers is probably the worst feeling character in the series. Finishing the game with Virgil and then starting a NG with Nero was positively whiplash inducing.

You sound familiar with the ideas, but to reiterate: Grind for orbs until you can afford Streak (?) your R1 + Forward melee and at least the first grappling hook upgrade, because closing the gap is the key to making this game faster. You want to actively minimize the amount of time you spend not dealing damage.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sanctum posted:

Takes me 5 minutes to get him to half health

what

Sanctum posted:

Breaking them does like <5% of his health. :confused: I don't use the hand at all except to escape the funnel attacks. I assume there's going to be some other abilities added to the hand other than grabbing and breaking them.

overture is the blue robot arm that shoots lightning

O/B: Devil Breaker (Normal arm attack)
O/B while Locked On: Wire Snatch (The grappling hook)
Hold O/B: Break Age (Charge attack that destroys you arm)
L1/LB: Break Away (Sacrifices your arm to escape from damage)

Pressing O/B without locking on will do a quick lightning attack with Overture (the blue arm) and a shockwave that can bounce enemies and also redirect you in the air with Gerbera (the green arm)
Holding O/B with Overture when will plant a time bomb in an enemy (you need to be up close to land it) which can also be manually detonated by shooting it. Doing so with Gerbera will unleash a focused laser beam that deals a lot of damage, or a spread of bouncing lasers if you use it in the air.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 8, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://youtu.be/s3r1Y7ig2WI

Yo, Legendary Dark Knights Co-op and 4 player PvP.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't imagine anything I'd enjoy less than DMC PVP to be honest.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I tried this, it crashed the game on my shadow PC immediately. I have no idea what "uninstall reshade/gshade" means lmao

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Well now I want this on PC

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

I can't imagine anything I'd enjoy less than DMC PVP to be honest.

an online only PvP character action brawler with 10-15 characters as well designed and fully kitted as the DMC cast would be such an insane game to try and play, but would probably end up being incredibly fun to watch.

Dante
Bayonetta
Virgil
Trish
Lady
Nero
Jeane
Raiden
uh... uh...
2B
Uh... Kratos?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

an online only PvP character action brawler with 10-15 characters as well designed and fully kitted as the DMC cast would be such an insane game to try and play, but would probably end up being incredibly fun to watch.

Dante
Bayonetta
Virgil
Trish
Lady
Nero
Jeane
Raiden
uh... uh...
2B
Uh... Kratos?

how you gonna throw raiden in there and not sam or sundowner or loving monsoon dude monsoon would be so much fun to play as

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The fun of a character action game is weaving together stylish wombo combos that fling enemies in the air for 20 seconds without them being able to get a hit in, not so much fun when that's happening to you.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Bust Rodd posted:

Dante
Bayonetta
Virgil
Trish
Lady
Nero
Jeane
Raiden
uh... uh...
2B
Uh... Kratos?

Online PvP like the unfairly forgotten about Platinum game Anarchy Reigns. That was actually a lot of fun with friends and the fight system in it was decent enough to allow you a level of leniency when it came to getting smashed. Not quite sure how you'd do a DMC game justice considering the depth of the system and some of the dumb poo poo you can do with combos.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

The fun of a character action game is weaving together stylish wombo combos that fling enemies in the air for 20 seconds without them being able to get a hit in, not so much fun when that's happening to you.

that's why you'd have to use the defensive options in these games that take skill and practice to use. the concept sounds fun, I'd love to see a stream or some videos of the DMCV mod

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

This isn’t how any of the Virgil/Jeane fights play out, which is more of what we’re talking about.

I basically just want a fully 3D Capcom vs Konami fighting game.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

This isn’t how any of the Virgil/Jeane fights play out, which is more of what we’re talking about.

I basically just want a fully 3D Capcom vs Konami fighting game.

Or - and just hear me out on this one - or, a Capcom vs Konami pachinko machine

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Only one of these things will happen and we all know which.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Man Anarchy Reigns was such a cool game, shame it died due to no marketing.

That's the gameplay style that would fit the game you describe.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

I wish Anarchy Reigns could get a remastered release like W101, would love to see that thing on PC and maybe have some modders fiddle with the netcode so it can be good. :unsmith:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

You're basically describing every anime fighting game ever and they make it work.

DMC games even have a built in mechanic to prevent infinite juggles. The DT explosion. You can just pop that poo poo for defense.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
got the vergil dlc and after my first successful judgment cut end: lmao. lmbo

i dont know why you'd do the other super moves but i like to rotate all 3 in a row while in sin devil trigger

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

got the vergil dlc and after my first successful judgment cut end: lmao. lmbo

i dont know why you'd do the other super moves but i like to rotate all 3 in a row while in sin devil trigger

Balrog super does most damage.
Yamato super has the largest AoE.
Mirage Edge super...does neither. That one I don't know what it's good for but it looks cool.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hell on Earth (Beowulf's super) is, apart from having a badass name, might be the strongest attack in the entire game. You also become invincible after around, I dunno, a second after starting the animation, and notably it can launch certain bosses. It is very possible to chain 3 of them in a row to cheese out boss fights.

Deep Stinger (Mirage Edge's super) is a near-guaranteed crystal break against Urizen 1 and 2, and you're also invincible for the duration. Well worth the meter burn, especially since you can follow it up with Hell on Earth.

If anything I think JCE is the worst of all three, lol, particularly because you can blow up crowds pretty well with SDT Judgement Cut spam and you're not invincible when readying it.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 13, 2021

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Jack Trades posted:

Balrog super does most damage.
Yamato super has the largest AoE.
Mirage Edge super...does neither. That one I don't know what it's good for but it looks cool.

Deep Stinger is good for breaking shields and for stunning. Also, for teleporting enemies like Judecca or Furies, they get "stuck" and can't teleport away (maybe because of the stun?). I believe that, even on DMD, it will break Urizen's shield in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Kikas posted:

Man Anarchy Reigns was such a cool game, shame it died due to no marketing.

That's the gameplay style that would fit the game you describe.

Anarchy Reigns is some of the most fun I had playing multiplayer on XBOX360 and easily one of the best $20 bucks or w/e I ever spent on a random game I never heard of but same Platinum Games on the cover. Real shame it: 1) Came out at a time when any non-FPS multiplayer was doomed to irrelevance and 2) was intentionally spiked by the publisher or grossly mismanaged or something - can't quite remember the details here but the game got basically zero advertising or hype at all.

It was slightly slower than DMC or Bayonetta but had very similar combat mechanics as well as light vehicle and shooter elements, and all kinds of crazy environmental and item effects - you could temporarily pull someone into a side level for a cage match 1v1 or giant flaming semi trucks would rampage down the street and stuff randomly. Kicking rad goofy hip-hop soundtrack too.

That game and brutal legend are two of my most-missed unique multiplayer experiences ever