Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

All-Camarilla Ventrue would work as well. Feel how absolutely great it is to play for the winning team and try to stay ahead of your conscience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PoorWeather posted:

Hey C/WoD thread, I'm looking for some edition/system advice. A friend of mine and I were discussing doing a vampire-themed game, but one with a different thematic framing than VtM and VtR tend to lean into that instead goes hard on the idea of Vampires as allegory for class conflict/privilege. So the narrative focus would be less on how becoming an undead monster inherently sucks and you'll inevitably do murders and lose your humanity because you're tragically compelled to by your supernatural nature, and more about how becoming an undead monster is actually materially great, and you'll inevitably do murders and lose your humanity because doing so is massively rewarded and results in extremely positive social feedback. So a game where the drama comes from having power within an unjust system, and seeing if they're willing to rock the boat despite being discouraged from doing so both mechanically and in roleplay.

Instead of being a street level punk thing, it'll probably be mostly set in high society/subterfuge contexts. So what do you think would be the best system for this between V5, VtR, and I guess V20, and what kinda tweaks would be appropriate to capture that tone without breaking the entire game?
I'd do it in V20 and just, yeah, have the characters have relatively generous allocations of starting dots. You probably want to see the concepts they have in a broad sense, because there are a couple of different ways that relatively young vampires would have privileged positions and big whacks of power. It might be interesting to have a range of them - a couple of privileged childer, one guy saved from the stake and of high seniority despite not having lived much of it, and someone who pulled a Big Score and is now full of status traits and special Discipline lessons.

You also probably want to make sure that your table has buy in with your general thematic arc, in the sense of "you are all alright with exploring this topic in this context of this game." It would not be likely to come up in the near term future, but I have been in several games where I felt as if my long-term investment was wasted due to what amounted to a difference in ethical values between myself and the GM's portrayal of the world. It's not exactly a common issue, but you are taking the rare (and laudable!) course that would actually point you towards that.

And! You may want to read some of the stuff on Golconda - even if you do not intend to use it there would probably be some parallels if the group at large starts going, "Wait a minute, we're cannibal assholes. But I don't want to go get a tan. What can be done?"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I have a dumb question that has probably been answered somewhere in the mass of books but are there any prometheans created through methods only possible by being made by any of the other core book classes? Like, is it possible for a fetch to be considered a promethean, or for prometheans to be made through magic, or as a result of demons going into their covers?

I'm curious because I'm not sure if any of those could potentially grant the azoth spark necessary to create a promethean or if the creatures made by others through their own magical powers are inherently elevated above or otherwise removed from alchemy and azoth poo poo. I'd wonder if such a promethean would be at least partially capable of the feats bestowed by its parent or if they would become like their parent through achieving the great work.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

FirstAidKite posted:

I have a dumb question that has probably been answered somewhere in the mass of books but are there any prometheans created through methods only possible by being made by any of the other core book classes? Like, is it possible for a fetch to be considered a promethean, or for prometheans to be made through magic, or as a result of demons going into their covers?

I'm curious because I'm not sure if any of those could potentially grant the azoth spark necessary to create a promethean or if the creatures made by others through their own magical powers are inherently elevated above or otherwise removed from alchemy and azoth poo poo. I'd wonder if such a promethean would be at least partially capable of the feats bestowed by its parent or if they would become like their parent through achieving the great work.

Sam Haight is also a Promethean.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

FirstAidKite posted:

There are a couple mechanics/fiction conceits that would enable that, with the least complicated being Extempore (an explicit mechanical setup for a one-off no-ancestors promethean), but it's also just not THAT weird to make up a new lineage, the Night Horrors book has a couple antagonists that are from lineages that were made up pretty much purely for that antagonist. There's also Unfleshed, which is a pseudo-lineage where the Promethean isn't actually a corpse, so a Fetch that somehow got all azothic I think would qualify. That said, it's somewhat important that Prometheans often make other Prometheans, so if you have a player doing that I'd put at least a little thought into their multiplicato milestone rather than just leaving it simple.

The shortest route is to look for conceits that are similar between groups, with the most obvious link (to me at least) being between Moros (who are death & matter) and Prometheans (which are corpses powered by alchemy). But Prometheans are kind of designed explicitly to play well with other supernaturals, since the Refinement of Silver is really all about "there's other things that are like humans but also supernatural, how does that reflect on my own supernaturalness and path toward becoming natural." So y'know, you've got options.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh I'm not running or playing it at all, I know about extempore (even came up with one myself) but I just wasn't sure if there were any examples from the books, any kind of precedent for that having happened.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It is theoretically possible but very rare, because supernatural stuff is itself relatively rare compared to normal humans and also because there’s no way to force it, so it comes down to “did this vampire actually end up a Demiurge by sheer chance?”

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Doesn't the new Vampire Night Horror book have a bloodline of vampire alchemists? Seems pretty easy if Vampires can learn Alchemy for one to have made a Promethean. Also, as always, an archmaster could do it at seven dots in the relevant arcana. Probably Death/Life/Prime? Maybe Matter?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

One of the possible origins for COUNT MOTHERFUCKING DRACULA (not to be confused for all the other Draculas) is that he's a Promethean so there is that.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

FirstAidKite posted:

The position of the Promethean books when touching on this subject has always been that yes, it's as possible for non-humans to become demiurges of new lineage progenitors as it is for humans to do so, but no, it's not accomplished through their supernatural powers. Perhaps a vampire might use vitae in the desperate work of creative alchemy that steals the Divine Fire, in a way that colors the quirks of the Promethean's humours, but it's never the product of a Scale of the Dragon or blood sorcery or anything repeatable, and the more they rely on their supernatural abilities the harder it is to do. Like the work of human demiurges, it remains an act of desperate mania that calls the Divine Fire.

The question of fetches and Prometheans is addressed in a unique manner in Dark Eras 2's The Seven Wonders chapter, when exposure to a vibrant Azothic radiance makes it possible for fetches to take in enough of the Divine Fire to attempt the Pilgrimage despite not being Prometheans.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mors Rattus posted:

It is theoretically possible but very rare, because supernatural stuff is itself relatively rare compared to normal humans and also because there’s no way to force it, so it comes down to “did this vampire actually end up a Demiurge by sheer chance?”

The supernatural population thing is a pretty consistent problem in *OD games. My general policy has been that supernaturals have to be rare enough that whatever conspiracy enables the mundane world to operate as if vampires etc are myths is slightly believable, but you still need enough for there to be communities and violence. In Promethean this is somewhat less of a problem since they're explicitly supposed to interact with other supernaturals and be rare compared to them, but as a matter of actually playing the game in practice, the rules around athanors and mentorship turn into absolute millstones if you're trying to play like there's 100 prometheans worldwide.

It's all much easier if you just have a couple dozen supernaturals in the general region of your campaign.

I Am Just a Box posted:

The position of the Promethean books when touching on this subject has always been that yes, it's as possible for non-humans to become demiurges of new lineage progenitors as it is for humans to do so, but no, it's not accomplished through their supernatural powers. Perhaps a vampire might use vitae in the desperate work of creative alchemy that steals the Divine Fire, in a way that colors the quirks of the Promethean's humours, but it's never the product of a Scale of the Dragon or blood sorcery or anything repeatable, and the more they rely on their supernatural abilities the harder it is to do. Like the work of human demiurges, it remains an act of desperate mania that calls the Divine Fire.

The question of fetches and Prometheans is addressed in a unique manner in Dark Eras 2's The Seven Wonders chapter, when exposure to a vibrant Azothic radiance makes it possible for fetches to take in enough of the Divine Fire to attempt the Pilgrimage despite not being Prometheans.

drat, Changeling and Promethean own.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheCenturion posted:

Sam Haight is also a Promethean.

True. Sam Haight is a self-made man. :smug:

Also a self-made Garou, ghoul, mage, ashtray... no, wait, he had help on the last one.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I assume theoretically a Promethean could become human and then get kidnapped by the Gentry and replaced with a fetch, right? If you were the unluckiest motherfucker in the world (of darkness)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Evergreen:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

I assume theoretically a Promethean could become human and then get kidnapped by the Gentry and replaced with a fetch, right? If you were the unluckiest motherfucker in the world (of darkness)

Elder Hardluck goes with him because the Fae wants to craft a buddy cop story.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

cptn_dr posted:

gonna make a vampire prince that was a promethean like 300 years ago

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

The short story that bookends the First Edition Promethean corebook is about Frankenstein's monster finding a Promethean apprentice of his Bride, his first-created progeny who turned her back on the Pilgrimage and spited him by bringing over more of his Lineage to the Hundred-Handed. The Centimani apprentice doesn't behave like she recognizes him, acting like she's just the local criminal psychologist interviewing him after an incident of mob violence. He kidnaps a local family for the leverage to lock her in with him, tries to force her to tell him what she's plotting and what his Bride has to do with it, gets violent... and she dies, crumbling in a few blows that would be nothing to a Promethean. In their years apart she'd returned to the Pilgrimage and completed it, becoming an ordinary woman with only scraps of memories of her time as a Promethean. She'd gone to school, got a job as a psychologist, and settled down.

He hacks her body apart and stitches it back together as a new Promethean. He needs to know how she did it. And if she did it once, then she can do it again.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Tulip posted:

gonna make a vampire prince that was a promethean like 300 years ago

One of the most extreme violations in the World of Darkness.

Edit: poo poo, beaten by the above story.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Who’s played Deviant

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I'm running a Deviant game.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Ferrinus posted:

Evergreen:

I see no problems here.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I appreciate being able to choose which half of the Scion Dragon/Mask of the Mythos kickstarter you can back. Like Dragon looks cool but it's also something I can just wait to buy when it comes out. Mythos is more intriguing to me from a gameplay standpoint.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I see no problems here.

You wouldn't!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Who’s played Deviant

Can't til they start sellin' the darn book!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Jonas Albrecht posted:

:same: It is the first White Wolf descended kickstarter I didn't back. Pretty much purely because of Beast.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

:same: It is the first White Wolf descended kickstarter I didn't back. Pretty much purely because of Beast.

I backed it but backed out. Something about the character generation system I just bounced off of, but admittedly this is kind of a problem for me when I look at the early edition of a game before the art and such is put in.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

https://deviant-the-renegades.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/207938

You can buy the backers-only PDF here for $20. It's out to backers, the post-layout book with illustrations and tables and everything. Pre-errata, but you'll get the post-errata version for free when they update it.

(You can order the Prestige Edition hardcover too if you want. Those haven't been printed yet.)

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

LatwPIAT posted:

I know late 2e/early Revised also tapped a lot into the popularity of hidden cabals and millenialism that was really taking off in the same period, as the turn of the millennium approached. It's really telling how Bloodlines just perfectly captures that part of the setting by aspiring to be Deus Ex, a game in an entirely different genre in an entirely different setting.

You're right, and now I have to reinstall it, again.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Scion 2E question - more of a brainstorming thing.

I will be running a shortish story arc to let my GM of several years take a break and actually play, and I have a loose idea of a structure involving investigating a few hazardous Terra Incognitae. (I will plan in more detail after we do a session zero on Sunday.) However, I kind of know what I want the ultimate goal or source to be -- I want to tie it in to the Roswell/Grey mythology, but I am not sure what Titans, or potentially Mythos-entities-as-constructed, would work best for something like this.

I know the kind of go-to analogy for the Greys has been unseelie style faeries which is kind of my, "I can't think of anything better or more bizarre" fallback. But what else might serve?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nessus posted:

I will be running a shortish story arc to let my GM of several years take a break and actually play, and I have a loose idea of a structure involving investigating a few hazardous Terra Incognitae. (I will plan in more detail after we do a session zero on Sunday.) However, I kind of know what I want the ultimate goal or source to be -- I want to tie it in to the Roswell/Grey mythology, but I am not sure what Titans, or potentially Mythos-entities-as-constructed, would work best for something like this.

I know the kind of go-to analogy for the Greys has been unseelie style faeries which is kind of my, "I can't think of anything better or more bizarre" fallback. But what else might serve?

Extradimensional actual aliens whose bizarre tech lets them compete against Scions? It could either be a big reveal that helps defeat a threat, or unveils a larger problem they were fleeing from their home dimension. No pantheon at all!

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Nessus posted:

All Myths Are True doesn't just apply to human myths. Somewhere out there in the Milky Way there's a species that believes their Gods live on the third planet of a yellow star in their night sky, and they're right.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 12, 2021

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Nessus posted:

Turf war between shapeshifting Theoi disguising themselves as something that might get better mythic traction in modern North America, misinterpreted Aesir (look up Aryan alien conspiracy theories and/or noodle around with Stargate SG1's Aesir), and various manifestations of the Teotl Titan, Citlali (obsidian eyes, pale skin, 'dwells behind the stars'). It's aaaall on the table.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

A Scion Babies Halloween gone horribly awry.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

That Old Tree posted:

A Scion Babies Halloween gone horribly awry.

Scion babies we'll make your dreams come true
Scion babies the old ones come for yooou

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
C:tL 2e mostly drops the pledgecrafting rules that, while easily exploitable, were one of the easiest ways to really get into the web of weird obligations and promises and weird fairytale rule-following in 1e because if you broke one it'd jump right up and smack you right in the face with Merits evaporating alongside active punishments. It's a huge loss between editions, and it's a weird change because they went and put comparable stuff into Demon anyway.

LatwPIAT posted:

I vaguely recall the Kickstarter campaign showing off the style guide for writers on CtL2e, and how one of the things writers were advised to do was to avoid detailing edge cases of powers, because every table will play the game differently. Sadly I can't find the preview document anymore to confirm whether that was the case or just something my brain has made up, but I remember the attitude of avoiding detail in the rules shocking me at the time.

There was also something about how the book shouldn't have more than about a dozen Conditions, but there'd be a guide for STs on how to make their own Conditions. I found it very weird.

CoD Conditions are just a mess, mechanically and conceptually, and I can't help but feel that most of that comes from the basic idea of trying to shoehorn in "resolve to gain a beat" on top of a system also being used to track status conditions.

Actually, most of my most blatant complaints about CoD are beat-related in general, like how Aspirations work in direct conflict to any group that wants the GM to provide mystery stuff and plot twists mid-session.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 14, 2021

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Roadie posted:

CoD Conditions are just a mess, mechanically and conceptually, and I can't help but feel that most of that comes from the basic idea of trying to shoehorn in "resolve to gain a beat" on top of a system also being used to track status conditions.

They're just an evolution of how drawbacks were treated in 1e, "if it causes problems for you then you gain 1xp".

It's the chaining of one condition to another that makes it a hassle, as well as certain powers referencing their effect as "Dominate causes the 'Dominated' condition" instead of neatly summarising themselves when nothing else written causes 'Dominated'.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Easily the worst offenses of COD broadly are in layout/editing, and conditions are (as mentioned) a very significant contributor to that. There's something really frustrating about it - the books all have a lot of effort and expense put into making them look pretty and stylish, but that love doesn't extend to making the books useful for either learning or reference. Which gives the whole thing an overwhelming sense of sloppiness.

Related but not actually important just kind of funny to me - in Promethean, the Osirans are "the only lineage claiming diving ancestry." Which is both a typo and a pretty funny pun given that the Osirans are the watery ones.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

bewilderment posted:

They're just an evolution of how drawbacks were treated in 1e, "if it causes problems for you then you gain 1xp".

It's the chaining of one condition to another that makes it a hassle, as well as certain powers referencing their effect as "Dominate causes the 'Dominated' condition" instead of neatly summarising themselves when nothing else written causes 'Dominated'.

Don't forget all the Geist powers that give you a condition with points on it when you activate it, please see the back of the book for what the condition and points actually do.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

That Old Tree posted:

Extradimensional actual aliens whose bizarre tech lets them compete against Scions? It could either be a big reveal that helps defeat a threat, or unveils a larger problem they were fleeing from their home dimension. No pantheon at all!

The big twist is that it's just a bunch of Mi-Gos that got lost LARPing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I'm finally reading Scion and mostly like what I see. Kinda puzzled that they did the nWoD thing where Athletics is an all-around useful traversal and physical labor skill... but also usable for low-tech ranged attacks, while there's a separate Firearms skill that does nothing but operate guns, and a Close Combat skill for all close-ranged combat (except that apparently, despite implications otherwise in the skill list itself, you use Athletics to grapple?)

Why isn't it just Athletics to move yourself or other things around, Close Combat to punch or stab, and Ranged Combat to throw or shoot?