Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah, if there’s one person who I could say for sure that Joe Biden hates, it would be Donald Trump. And Joe Biden strikes me as the kind of guy who can’t bring himself to legitimately hate anyone. Except Donald Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, if there’s one person who I could say for sure that Joe Biden hates, it would be Donald Trump. And Joe Biden strikes me as the kind of guy who can’t bring himself to legitimately hate anyone. Except Donald Trump.

Considering the astounding levels of violence he authorised against Iraqi children who he presumably doesn't "hate", I wouldn't want to be his enemy.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

human garbage bag posted:

The worst possible outcome is Trump gets convicted in the impeachment, convicted in all the state and federal indictments, and then before he sees a single day in prison Biden pardons him, so that's what's going to happen.

Okay QAnon

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The worst possible outcome is Trump gets convicted in the impeachment, convicted in all the state and federal indictments, and then before he sees a single day in prison Biden pardons him, so that's what's going to happen.

There’s no way the senate will convict him and Biden is powerless to pardon state crimes.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

What exactly are you basing this on

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

McCloud posted:

What exactly are you basing this on

pattern recognition

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Gulping Again posted:

pattern recognition

Pattern recognition off a datum of one is a poor basis for success.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Like we all know it's very unlikely that Trump will ever see the inside of a cell or ever face any actual responsibility for... well, anything he's done/enabled, but I'm fairly certain Biden is still probably more than a little raw that Trump is partly responsible for thrusting his one surviving son into the spotlight.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

alf_pogs posted:

i don't really expect this, but the MTG vote didn't go the way i thought it would so who knows

That was a secret ballot though.

I don't see how anyone can look at only 6 GOP members even calling this constitutional and somehow so much as dream that 10 or 11 of them will vote to convict.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
"Well, it's all totally unconstitutional.. just so unconstitutionalist and full of unconstitutionalisms and all that stuff... but he's still guilty so sure why not." :shepface:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Gulping Again posted:

pattern recognition

Isn't our pattern recognition the reason that we as a species keep falling for otherwise really stupid conspiracy theories by seeing connections where they are none?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gulping Again posted:

pattern recognition

I'm pretty sure there's no history of Biden going out of his way to pardon criminals.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Mercury_Storm posted:

"Well, it's all totally unconstitutional.. just so unconstitutionalist and full of unconstitutionalisms and all that stuff... but he's still guilty so sure why not." :shepface:

I mean, you are right that they won't convict because they never would. But in the ideal, liberal fantasy world where everything can be reasoned out and people are rational and have integrity, that wouldn't necessarily be contradictory. If this were a normal trial, I am sure the jury would get instructions that would define the question pretty tightly, if you believe Trump incited the mob you must vote guilty, if you do not believe you must vote not guilty, leaving aside the question of the constitutionality itself.

I don't know why I am typing this. It doesn't matter. They would never convict. But yeah, there isn't actually a logical fallacy in voting the trial is constitutional and voting he is guilty of what is being alleged.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

A good book on why humans are primed for conspiracy theories is a book called Why People Believe Weird Things by Michael Shermer. It's basically that the ones who were curious/concerned about what lived in the dark cave out-survived the ones who camped next to the strange growling noises.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Today's show has started: https://www.c-span.org/video/?508741-1/impeachment-trial

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Speaking of unconstitutional, it'd be unconstitutional for Biden to pardon Trump's impeachment! :dadjoke:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Jamie Raskin is fantastic.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Jamie Eason is fantastic.

quote:

Jamie Eason is an American fitness model and writer. She is also a former NFL cheerleader and winner of the World's Fittest Model competition. She has been the featured subject and cover girl on many fitness and women's magazines. Wikipedia

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
gently caress, thought I could ninja edit that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
When you're right you're right

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Snowflakes and their trigger warnings. Libs are running wild.

That is a joke obviously. The warnings are good, it is just its own indictment that they are necessary.

Edit: Ehh... the ideological content is exactly the problem imo, but whatever.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ooh, multimedia presentation. Fancy.

Raskin's opening was really solid, shame about the, y'know, foregone conclusion.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Echophonic posted:

Ooh, multimedia presentation. Fancy.

I wonder if Trumps dudes will have any powerpoints to show.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
We can only hope. Maybe they'll show Lindell's documentary.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Being as objective as possible, can someone explain to me why this trial would be unconstitutional?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Kirios posted:

Being as objective as possible, can someone explain to me why this trial would be unconstitutional?

There is literally nothing in precedent or law to show that it is unconstitutional. The best they've got is it's never happened to a former president before - but it's happened to other former federal officers.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Kirios posted:

there is no 'objective' argument, it relies on purposefully pretending that some words in the Constitution don't exist and pretending that 300 years of precedent never happened

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I caught that part of the defense argument was that you had to remove from office and bar from further office, and since you can't do the former, the latter isn't an applicable penalty.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Echophonic posted:

I caught that part of the defense argument was that you had to remove from office and bar from further office, and since you can't do the former, the latter isn't an applicable penalty.

yeah the reason this is a bad argument is that you have to pretend a list of 2 possible penalties, removal and bar from office, is actually a command that the latter is only possible if you do the former

and you have to pretend that the people who wrote this weren't actively considering British precedents which allowed for barring people from office that'd already resigned, which we know because those people wrote it in the Federalist Papers and said it at the Constitutional Convention

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kirios posted:

Because Trump is paying you to say it is.

That's about the only reason anybody has.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Zaphod42 posted:

Because Trump is paying you to say it is.

That's about the only reason anybody has.

It's more likely Trump's lawyers are sending him invoices that will never be paid.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Okay my immediate thought it was y'all are saying - it sounded like bullshit. I was just curious if there was anything that could be considered a legitimate argument towards that statement.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

eke out posted:

yeah the reason this is a bad argument is that you have to pretend a list of 2 possible penalties, removal and bar from office, is actually a command that the latter is only possible if you do the former

and you have to pretend that the people who wrote this weren't actively considering British precedents which allowed for barring people from office that'd already resigned, which we know because those people wrote it in the Federalist Papers and said it at the Constitutional Convention

Yeah, them saying "you can't use British precedent, this is America and the Framers wouldn't have done that" after Raskin just up and quoted the framers doing exactly that was really, really stupid.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

The "you're very special, we love you" thing is still so bizarre hahaha. What a wild loving thing to say. You're very special. What a weird thing to say!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

alpha_destroy posted:

The "you're very special, we love you" thing is still so bizarre hahaha. What a wild loving thing to say. You're very special. What a weird thing to say!

It's all pitched very specifically at the fifth-grader language level. Not that Trump is much more sophisticated than that himself, but he either istinctively or intentionally knows to dumb it down a shade further to fully vibe on the same wavelength as the chuds he despises but desperately needs

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, them saying "you can't use British precedent, this is America and the Framers wouldn't have done that" after Raskin just up and quoted the framers doing exactly that was really, really stupid.

it was very funny that Raskin prebutted their talking points and they didn't alter them in any way whatsoever to accommodate that he'd debunked them already

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's all pitched very specifically at the fifth-grader language level. Not that Trump is much more sophisticated than that himself, but he either istinctively or intentionally knows to dumb it down a shade further to fully vibe on the same wavelength as the chuds he despises but desperately needs

I think Trump seemingly had a big cognitive decline between 2016 and 2020 you have to factor in too. He lapses into borderline baby talk a lot now even when it doesn't make sense as a rhetorical gimmick.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Raskin and Neguse have a good balance, I'm impressed. Both are on-point, but having Raskin talk more pointedly about legality and Neguse explain circumstances in his softer-spoken approach plays well to their presentation styles.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm not used to listening to that fuckwad again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

alpha_destroy posted:

Everything he says is so stupid and weird. He's a colossal idiot.

Somebody said he had like a 200 word vocabulary awhile ago and it feels about right.

sean10mm posted:

I think Trump seemingly had a big cognitive decline between 2016 and 2020 you have to factor in too. He lapses into borderline baby talk a lot now even when it doesn't make sense as a rhetorical gimmick.

How much of that was having control of the message? No doubt he said a ton of colossally stupid poo poo while filming The Apprentice but they worked for him and so edited it out to make him look good.

I don't buy the "mental decline" argument, he's always been dumb as a box of rocks. Rich people can get really far with that.