Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
generally any of the white models that have a hdmi port are considered pretty safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Saoshyant posted:

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I'll actually get one of those dancing games just for the novelty of trying it out.

I live close, thanks for offering. Sadly, we don't have open borders/market anymore, so anything sent between nations is now taxed heavily.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. It's not amusing how hard it is to find proper info about this stuff, considering everything is Xbox in the name and there's two Kinects and none of those things ever became popular enough.

Mine is one of the original 360's. Surprised it's still working *knock on wood* more than a decade later. I remember the time we had to know what motherboard revision they came in to figure how easy they would get the RRoD. If I remember any of this stuff, I think it was the Jasper that was the best one, while I have a Falcon, which was "acceptable" but still in the dangerous zone. Who knows how much of that stuff was factual and not just hocus pocus of speculation.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/114794366
if your city has a goodwill computer store like Eugene does you can find them locally frequently.

pffft. didnt see that youre not in the us.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Crafty posted:

My lb elite button is recently busted, sekiro defeated it.

This is exactly what happened to mine. I was absolutely banging my head against that Ashina Elite boss in the dojo, probably the most parry timing intensive boss in the game, before I realized that my LB was messed up and was dropping inputs or registering double inputs. Thank goodness for extended warranties.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
talking about kinect games and Child of Eden wasnt brought up? sure you can play it without it, but I thought it was a much better game with kinect controls.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Was it this thread where there was talk about Cybernator on the SNES? I think it went by the name Assault Suit Valken overseas? I could swear someone said they loved it and would like to play more games like it.

Anyways, if I'm right and said person happens to own a PS4 and would like more of that? A remastered version of Assault Suit Leynos is on sale on PS4 right now really cheap and looks good (also has some recognizable enemies from Cybernator but is still very much its own game) and it's also available on Steam as well but isn't currently on sale there.

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol rockstar is never ever going to release a standalone gta game ever again, not even a remaster

gtao prints more money for them for way less expense and effort than they could ever have imagined while they were releasing quarter-billion dollar blockbuster games every four years

GTAO is why they need to make a new GTA game eventually, imo, because they're going to need a new setting for GTAO and even more ways to profit from and monetize it. We've already had the first DLC for GTAO now where you leave for some tropical island which I suspect is because Rockstar know they need to provide a new location soon and likely hope that this tides people over in the meantime, and maybe they even do some more DLC like this but there's no way GTA6 is not in the works.

They know GTAO is a huge revenue stream now so I expect they'll take everything they've learned from the GTAV version to have a more solid foundation for the sequel where they're setup to be raking in much more cash from the start. Hell, they might even skip the singleplayer entirely and have GTA6 be online-focused to really suck people in? It's hard to tell because Read Dead Redemption 2 was incredible but money talks so :smith:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

While we're at peak Xbox thread and talking about Kinect games on 360, let me bring up Konami's largely-forgotten Kinect launch title Dance Masters (Dance Evolution in some territories).

While having some annoying commentary and questionable song choice (this is from the makers of Dance Dance Revolution, after all), it seems to have the best prompting system for whatever moves you have to do next. It will also do a cutout of you and overlay it so you're dancing alongside the on-screen dancers, but this is laggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTBqsT8X1y4

Bit of a tough game to find footage for that isn't poo poo quality, since 2010 is the early, pre-HD YouTube days and there isn't much posted that's newer than like 10 years old.

The game is disc-only.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

univbee posted:

While we're at peak Xbox thread and talking about Kinect games on 360, let me bring up Konami's largely-forgotten Kinect launch title Dance Masters (Dance Evolution in some territories).

While having some annoying commentary and questionable song choice (this is from the makers of Dance Dance Revolution, after all), it seems to have the best prompting system for whatever moves you have to do next. It will also do a cutout of you and overlay it so you're dancing alongside the on-screen dancers, but this is laggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTBqsT8X1y4

Bit of a tough game to find footage for that isn't poo poo quality, since 2010 is the early, pre-HD YouTube days and there isn't much posted that's newer than like 10 years old.

The game is disc-only.

It maybe didn't help that this game was announced at "THE BEST" E3 conference ever.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ryoga posted:

It maybe didn't help that this game was announced at "THE BEST" E3 conference ever.

Yeah the series got mostly crippled right out the gate, but did get repurposed for some Asia-only arcade cabinets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-yZihwFTC0

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SUNKOS posted:

Was it this thread where there was talk about Cybernator on the SNES? I think it went by the name Assault Suit Valken overseas? I could swear someone said they loved it and would like to play more games like it.

Anyways, if I'm right and said person happens to own a PS4 and would like more of that? A remastered version of Assault Suit Leynos is on sale on PS4 right now really cheap and looks good (also has some recognizable enemies from Cybernator but is still very much its own game) and it's also available on Steam as well but isn't currently on sale there.

GTAO is why they need to make a new GTA game eventually, imo, because they're going to need a new setting for GTAO and even more ways to profit from and monetize it. We've already had the first DLC for GTAO now where you leave for some tropical island which I suspect is because Rockstar know they need to provide a new location soon and likely hope that this tides people over in the meantime, and maybe they even do some more DLC like this but there's no way GTA6 is not in the works.

They know GTAO is a huge revenue stream now so I expect they'll take everything they've learned from the GTAV version to have a more solid foundation for the sequel where they're setup to be raking in much more cash from the start. Hell, they might even skip the singleplayer entirely and have GTA6 be online-focused to really suck people in? It's hard to tell because Read Dead Redemption 2 was incredible but money talks so :smith:

Leynos is very good

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ryoga posted:

talking about kinect games and Child of Eden wasnt brought up? sure you can play it without it, but I thought it was a much better game with kinect controls.

Tell me about this. I have a very distant recollection of it either being based on Rez or actually made by the creator of Rez. Something like that. How did it turn out?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I finished ReCore, it's been sitting on my list forever and I finally decided to try it out. It starts out with some promise, becomes fairly mediocre and once you're midway through it just falls apart. And the ending is non-existant.

I'm checking Metacritic and lots of publications gave it in the 7-5 range. That's loving generous because some of the late-game platforming dungeons are really poorly made, like the upper floors of Eden Tower or the optional ones like Armory Flux. And that's not counting the unfinished level design in the open world, where I sometimes had to resort to WoW-style mountainclimbing, jump on tiny cliff outcroppings and exploit invisible walls to reach places.

The free "DLC" added by the Definitive Edition patch is a little nicer, featuring more visually interesting and polished environments and also adds game mechanics that should've been in the base game, like more puzzle variety within dungeons and much more lenient timers for objectives (oh yeah, did I mention that many dungeons have timers?).

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Wasn't there supposed to be a compilation of Xbox Live indie games coming out sometime? I swear I heard about it.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Lammasu posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be a compilation of Xbox Live indie games coming out sometime? I swear I heard about it.

God I would love that.

Do the Indie games still even work on a 360? I thought I read that they had to contact a server every time they start and it was shut down. If not, I might actually dig mine up to reply some of them.

edit: vvv I assumed Lammasu was talking about “Xbox Live Indies” but maybe that’s not the case. There were some legit good games on there though.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 11, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Idk what you define as indie games but a lot of the XBLA catalog is back compat. I always go back to Grip Shift every few years, one of my favorite obscure old games.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

American McGay posted:

Idk what you define as indie games but a lot of the XBLA catalog is back compat. I always go back to Grip Shift every few years, one of my favorite obscure old games.
Probably the games that were actually part of Xbox Live Indie Games, which anybody could make with XNA, completely distinct from XBLA.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fly Ricky posted:

Do the Indie games still even work on a 360? I thought I read that they had to contact a server every time they start and it was shut down. If not, I might actually dig mine up to reply some of them.

i played a bit of xenominer after they had stopped supporting xblig and it worked just fine

really wish that game got finished, it was the only minecraft knockoff i really liked

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Anyone do the screen sharing to the phone stuff?

I've been using it a bit and latency wise it's actually much better than I was expecting, but also a LOT of games do not seem designed for the tiny screen

Also kinda annoying to hold my controller and stare at a phone thats on a couch or something

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shoot 1up was a solid indie title that I think escaped and made it to phones before phones became free to play blasted hellscape

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Barudak posted:

Shoot 1up was a solid indie title that I think escaped and made it to phones before phones became free to play blasted hellscape

Hell yeah it was. That same developer, Mommy’s Best Games, had I think four games on there? All fantastic and were the kind of things that would be great on Switch.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Anyone do the screen sharing to the phone stuff?

I've been using it a bit and latency wise it's actually much better than I was expecting, but also a LOT of games do not seem designed for the tiny screen

Also kinda annoying to hold my controller and stare at a phone thats on a couch or something

Yeah, it works pretty well. I sometimes play games on the bus from my home console. I have a phone clip that attaches my phone to my controller and it's not the most ergonomic thing but it works.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I mean it's horny but at least it's equal opportunity horny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPQIaC4zle8

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Stardew Valley 1.5 is out on Xbox.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lammasu posted:

I mean it's horny but at least it's equal opportunity horny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPQIaC4zle8

this is a game for people who name their cats poo poo like Azrael isn’t it

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

So, Disciples is all about tattoos and bondage? That's my take from that.

Oh, turn-based tattoos and bondage, sorry.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It looks like an ad for a mobile game

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I like how it's hyper-realistic and stylized and then the characters wake up and the look like Pixar Fortnite characters in a barren fantasy world.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Blue Dragon is on sale for $4.99. I think someone was just asking about it?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I finished watching a Goon YouTuber's playthrough of The Medium and...that sure is a game? I'm really not sure what it is with devs not knowing how to do endings anymore.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, it's terrible. Technically competent (framerates aside) and not much else. It flails around for hours with no idea what it wants to be and then it just... ends.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It honestly felt like the devs ran out of money with the way the game abruptly ends. But there's also a sequel hook? Maybe?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Medium was pretty good for about the first 5 hours. It's a bit too long and it loses wind really quick.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The story never goes anywhere

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

The story never goes anywhere

You're right cause I can barely remember what the story was.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Blooper Team are particularly terrible at handling trauma in their stories, and not ending their games with a variant of "you were the hosed up one all along."

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MarcusSA posted:

Blue Dragon is on sale for $4.99. I think someone was just asking about it?

wtf is blue dragon? wasn't the xbone game that was supposed to be a Panzer Dragoon successor but got all hosed up called Red Dragon?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

wtf is blue dragon? wasn't the xbone game that was supposed to be a Panzer Dragoon successor but got all hosed up called Red Dragon?

Blue Dragon is a 360 JRPG with art by Akira Toriyama and plays a bit like FFV with its job system. Its a decently fun game but be warned it ends at what fees like the halfway point.

Crimson Dragon is the xbox one launch title that is a very bad panzer dragoon attempt

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’ll be honest it’s pretty cool that you can just like... buy a 360 game on this thing. So many ps3 games are basically lost to time now. Still crazy how difficult it is to play all the Metal Gear Solid games

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MGS IV trapped forever :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

MGS IV trapped forever :(

At the rate of progress I expect PS3 emulation to hit the Series X before Sony even announces a plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
So if you have Gamepass or Live Gold, bounce over to the Korean store page to claim a free Red Faction: Armageddon.

http://click.linksynergy.com/deepli...b14c5h&u1=rfdcb