Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It seems like the ascendant success of superhero movies just ended up wrecking the comics. And not even just directly like with Marvel's licensing bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

There's some current series that I'd hope would rank pretty highly once they're over. Immortal Hulk is, for want of a better word, incredible (although there's a big asterisk there given the penciller snuck some anti-semitic imagery into the latest issue) and the current X-Men run actually feels pretty fresh and interesting, even if it does succumb to the X-Men problem of having the story split over a dozen different titles.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I may have been slightly wrong in that im pretty sure the listing would've included Tom King's Vision but it was still a vanishingly small amount.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kurt Busiek and Mark Waid didn't turn out to be massive assholes did they? :ohdear:

I met Mark Waid once and he was the friendliest dude I ever met and all he wanted to do was talk about comics :3:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

twistedmentat posted:

Isn't Mr Sunday Movies a huge chud? Or am I again confusing them with someone else?
I've listened to them for years and haven't heard of whiff of this. They make fun of chuds pretty reliably, in fact.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It seems like the ascendant success of superhero movies just ended up wrecking the comics. And not even just directly like with Marvel's licensing bullshit.

Both companies had good runs in the 2000s hiring creators who wanted to mix things up for iconic characters. But comic-book fans don't like change and are loud and annoying, so they reestablished the status quo and the stories have only gotten more boring over time.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

twistedmentat posted:

Isn't Mr Sunday Movies a huge chud? Or am I again confusing them with someone else?

BrianWilly posted:

I've listened to them for years and haven't heard of whiff of this. They make fun of chuds pretty reliably, in fact.
Yeah, you might be getting them confused with someone else. Here are some of their retweets from Insurrection Day.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Djarum posted:

Kirkman was my teacher in college and such a dick. He thought he was hot poo poo because of Battle Pope when every single person in the class thought he was a joke. He would get really critical on students who had real talent too which was really lovely. He berated one kid who was self publishing stuff so bad that they ended up stop doing their book.

I heard he has gotten a lot better but I will always have a negative opinion of him because of how he treated a bunch of teenagers.

Oh that's really interesting! I was sort of (barely) internet friends with Tony Moore, and it sounded like that was the case the way the whole TWD thing went down but obviously there was stuff he couldn't say, and I never got Kirkmans side, but it always felt like Kirkman was kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Also, battle pope was Tony as well, so seems super unlikely that would ever happen. I gather there's no real bad blood any more, but can't imagine they'd be keen to revisit.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hasn't comic readership been falling with decades, as the prices rise due to the paper quality, the number of pages dedicated to actual comic (as opposed to advertisement) fall and the barrier to entry gets more and more complex due to the constant crossing over of comics, splitting of stories or events between a dozen or more comics, frequent retcons and resets of the status quo etc? My impression at least, was that guys like Slott became actively more hostile to readers because it drove sales, even if only to a small degree. Mind you, that's just the impression I've gotten from reading (quite possibly uninformed) opinions on various places over the years, and not due to any kind of actual research in to the matter or anything.

Still, I'd think the movies are likely to pull people away from the comics if anything, just because at least the movies are (mostly) self contained, don't require a wealth of knowledge to understand, especially now that Marvel are basically starting a new generation in Phase 4 with a lot of new heroes whose stories don't require much knowledge of the previous phases, and the movies don't have a huge amount of the silliness that the comics often trade in due to the need to have one new story every month for dozens or hundreds or characters over literal decades.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 10, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Necrothatcher posted:

Both companies had good runs in the 2000s hiring creators who wanted to mix things up for iconic characters. But comic-book fans don't like change and are loud and annoying, so they reestablished the status quo and the stories have only gotten more boring over time.

Reminds me of what happened with D&D; they tried to mix it up with actual mechanical effort and focus, and the worst reactionary fans scared them into walking it all back and making trite pap.

Comic book readership loving crashed in the 90s iirc and never really recovered. And the comics still require you to keep up with up to three series at a time to actually keep up with the plot, and issues often have basically a pamphlet's worth of actual story due to decompression being the only way they know how to do things now. (seriously, read an actual comic from the 60s compared to a modern one: things happen.)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

My favorite rumor is that in the upcoming Ms. Marvel show, they're going to retcon the Inhumans show as being a lovely television show that was shown in-universe there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

My favorite rumor is that in the upcoming Ms. Marvel show, they're going to retcon the Inhumans show as being a lovely television show that was shown in-universe there.

Kamala: "I'm so glad Anson Mount landed on his feet by getting Star Trek, it's way easier to fanfic than that dumb Inhuman show. "

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Gaz-L posted:

Kamala: "I'm so glad Anson Mount landed on his feet by getting Star Trek, it's way easier to fanfic than that dumb Inhuman show. "

On the heels of What If, I hope Kamala's fanfic becomes its own Disney+ show.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
All fiction is fanfic when you think about it

Also, I'm surprised Hickman's Avengers and Aaron's Thor didn't make a best-of list. Especially considering the (lack of) competition

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Necrothatcher posted:

If Marvel has to close shop forever they should just rerelease Hickman's Run that led up to Secret Wars

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Azhais posted:

Other than the word "Inhumans" existing in both shows, Inhumans and AoS aren't related in any way

one of the more baffling things about AoS' use of Inhumans is how little it drew from any of the comics, despite obviously being part of the same top-down push around Inhumans as Inhuman, Uncanny Inhumans, All-New Inhumans, etc. Obviously, Attilan and the Royal Family characters were off-limits to the show, but there were a ton of Inhumans comics being produced for most of the show's run that it could have drawn from without touching on those characters.

I stopped watching AoS early in season 6, so I could be a bit off, but iirc there were a grand total of two Inhuman characters in the series' entire run, Lash and Flint, who were created as Inhumans in the comics (616 Quake wasn't originally an Inhuman but had her origin retconned to match AoS; the show also had a few other Inhuman characters like Yo-Yo and Hive who have never been Inhumans in the comics, AFAIK), and I don't think any of the show's Inhumans storylines ended up meaningfully drawing from Soule et al's work in any other way.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Djarum posted:

I am not sure if it was him, I think it came more from Disney themselves since Fox wouldn't play ball. I know at one point they were looking to make an argument that since Wolverine was an Avenger they could use him in the MCU. Perlmutter was still heavily involved with the Fox Movies from what I understand since Marvel Entertainment got a piece of them still.

It was Perlmutter, it was his call to deescalate the Fantastic Four's and X-men's prevalence in the comics so as not to spend money promoting properties they didn't have the movie rights for.

He also bricked up the bathrooms of every floor at the Marvel Hq building as a cost cutting measure.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

sounds like he probably hosed up AoU too then, that's such a mishmash of a movie compared to how tight avengers was.

Tight? Avengers was the action superhero movie that had twenty minutes of quips+nothing happening between Loki's capture and Barton's attack. It managed to coast through that on the actors' collective charisma and talent but a 20 minute mid-movie stallout still is what it is.

It's at least possible that Joss Whedon isn't as great a director as people believed as well as being a much shittier human being than some of his fans will admit.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 10, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Joss Whedon honestly just makes garbage and I have no idea why he gets the pass that he does.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Ugh. This account really brings back memories of one of my shittier first bosses. It doesn't surprise me that abusive assholes of that kind might find a home in showbusiness, and it's good to see the behavior called out as the abuse it is.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't Loeb lose his mind after his son died and started writing exclusively brutal violence to the point of literally killing the Ultimate Universe?

Loeb is also a racist who said "no one cares about Asian people". He also had a role in ruining Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes because he hated 2 or 3 part stories and insisted every episode be self-contained.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bleck posted:

Joss Whedon honestly just makes garbage and I have no idea why he gets the pass that he does.

I practically cackled when I read the summary of his latest show that's going to HBO Max (he has since stepped down as showrunner). It's set in some alt-reality Victorian England where young women can manifest powers when they go through puberty or something. I remember thinking "wow, I guess when you want to be 100% completely unambiguous that this is a Joss Whedon joint..."

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Doctor Nutt posted:

I practically cackled when I read the summary of his latest show that's going to HBO Max (he has since stepped down as showrunner). It's set in some alt-reality Victorian England where young women can manifest powers when they go through puberty or something. I remember thinking "wow, I guess when you want to be 100% completely unambiguous that this is a Joss Whedon joint..."

Not surprising when his first big “female empowerment” show that had a woman with supernatural powers (gained around puberty) actually be the product of a bunch of a bunch of old men forcing (dare I say raping) the woman into having those powers.

gently caress Whedon and all his bullshit.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Bleck posted:

I know the Russos might have some big skeletons in the closet but, god, I'm so glad they gave the following Avenger movies to them. They also got rid of that terrible Captain America costume from the first one.

I'm so disgusted at how he has treated people.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The United States posted:

Yeah, you might be getting them confused with someone else. Here are some of their retweets from Insurrection Day.

There was totally a guy with like a deep British accented voice that outed himself as a chud when, of course, captain marvel came out. I am thinking his name was me Sunday movies.

Its not midnights edge who is a Chud.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

I know the Russos might have some big skeletons in the closet but, god, I'm so glad they gave the following Avenger movies to them. They also got rid of that terrible Captain America costume from the first one.

I'm so disgusted at how he has treated people.

...what have the Russos done?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

live with fruit posted:

...what have the Russos done?

I don't know and I hope nothing!!

Nowadays I'm just very suspicious of any director/actor, unless they have shown they are good people like Pedro Pascal. You look away for one second and the next they are denying the holocaust.

Edit: My quoted post was probably bad worded.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Everyone posted:

Tight? Avengers was the action superhero movie that had twenty minutes of quips+nothing happening between Loki's capture and Barton's attack. It managed to coast through that on the actors' collective charisma and talent but a 20 minute mid-movie stallout still is what it is.

That scene is the point of the movie though, it's their dysfunction being made manifest. Then they pull it together. It's the exact opposite of a stallout.

Sympathy for CC though, sounds like he was an rear end in a top hat to her.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Me a dumb person shoveling: Man they are focusing a lot on the fact that no one knows how they got there.
Me connecting the dots: Wait...that's Fox X-Men Pietro...we don't know how he got there.

MY GOD, it's all coming together.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Desperado Bones posted:

I don't know and I hope nothing!!

Nowadays I'm just very suspicious of any director/actor, unless they have shown they are good people like Pedro Pascal. You look away for one second and the next they are denying the holocaust.

Edit: My quoted post was probably bad worded.

Yea I'm like that with YouTubers. Always check who they follow to see if there is any red flags. Like Good - Lindsey Ellis, Jenny Nicholson, bad - Sargon, Overlord DVD.

oot
Jun 28, 2019

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I'm like that with YouTubers. Always check who they follow to see if there is any red flags. Like Good - Lindsey Ellis, Jenny Nicholson, bad - Sargon, Overlord DVD.

:same:
Every youtuber that gets my attention via recommendations I have to search their social media for red flags.

I've seen a lack for fantart for this show* and it's upsetting me.

* I probably haven't look well

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

I love how Wanda doesn't look puzzled so much as irritated. Like "Who is this douche and why am I letting him stand close to me?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That Hawaiian shirt was extremely good find/creation by the wardrobe department, by the way, it's a perfect match for his costume's usual colours in the comics while not looking too obviously set up as such.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Hey, I searched for the artist (took a quick look at their account, it seems it's mostly worksafe Gintama fanart and some really cute bishonen fanart as well):

https://twitter.com/Vivalski/status/1358881444106559491

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Desperado Bones posted:

Hey, I searched for the artist (took a quick look at their account, it seems it's mostly worksafe Gintama fanart and some really cute bishonen fanart as well):

https://twitter.com/Vivalski/status/1358881444106559491

I really want that shirt, that is a good shirt.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Desperado Bones posted:

I've seen a lack for fantart for this show* and it's upsetting me.

* I probably haven't look well

Would it be in poor taste to post my own

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Djarum posted:

Oh I have stories about Geoff Johns that I wish I could tell.

Extreme same. gently caress Geoff Johns forever. Fucker.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Argue posted:

Would it be in poor taste to post my own

I'm okay with it, I dunno about the OP or the others?
I mean, posting fanart would also be a good way to fill in while we wait during the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm okay with it, I dunno about the OP or the others?
I mean, posting fanart would also be a good way to fill in while we wait during the week.

okay, here's mine
https://twitter.com/cmarguel/status/1358779676987072514