Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
my prediction is it will result in a world war and mass genocide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

the equator is going to become a weird place, but the people who were always there will stay where they are, and exciting things will happen there

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

People are terrified of cold and snow for some reason so that makes me safe right?

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Furnaceface posted:

People are terrified of cold and snow for some reason so that makes me safe right?
nobody is safe

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

as part of my general life trajectory, i'm being radicalised into a crimean nationalist

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

perepelki posted:

nobody is safe

I can go further north if need be. :colbert:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Furnaceface posted:

I can go further north if need be. :colbert:
that's good tbh, cold is easier to deal with than heat

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

perepelki posted:

that's good tbh, cold is easier to deal with than heat

hard disagree

unless it's a humid heat, but who would make the choice to live somewhere with noticeable humidity?

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

hard disagree

unless it's a humid heat, but who would make the choice to live somewhere with noticeable humidity?
i agree sadly

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

“Great Britain is like a ghoul, searching the continents,” wrote Justus von Liebig, the German chemist who first identified the critical role of phosphorus in agriculture. “Already in her eagerness for bones, she has turned up the battlefields of Leipzig, of Waterloo, and of the Crimea; already from the catacombs of Sicily she has carried away the skeletons of many successive generations.”

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Over the course of several weeks in 1669, a German alchemist named Hennig Brand boiled away 1,500 gallons of urine in hopes of finding the mythical philosopher’s stone. Instead, he ended up with a glowing white substance that he called phosphorus, meaning “light bearer.”

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i was prepping my federal income taxes using a free filing software, and decided to prepare my state taxes by hand rather that pay the $12.95 fee. i kept ending up at $124 off the total the tax software had teased at, so i broke down and paid the fee to figure out what obscure credit i was missing.

turns out i just kept forgetting to count the single personal exemption i get as a matter of course, basically the first checkbox i just kept disregarding because i don't have an dependents. next year i'll be ready to hang on to my thirteen bucks

is 'pay as you earn' taxation at all a thing in the united snakes of amerikkka?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

exmarx posted:

is 'pay as you earn' taxation at all a thing in the united snakes of amerikkka?

our employers do withhold income tax, yes (occasionally they don't actually forward the money to the taxman and just keep it for themselves, in which case you have to come up with money to replace what was embezzled)

if you're a freelance worker or otherwise self-employed i think you need to calculate and submit withholdings from your regular income as well

my employer withheld the correct amount for my wages, but i had some substantial gambling winnings i had to account for, plus personal contributions to a tax advantage account the feds recognize, but the state considers a regular brokerage account

i don't know how complicated taxes are in new zealand, but i had at least 6 supplementary forms i had to complete in addition to my two returns, and it's very easy to miss the instructions on a line, or not know about some rule you could be using, so paying a fee for even a simple tax return is kind of common. it just turned out that i missed the most obvious line possible, and it hurts that i had to pay someone to point that out to me

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the year before i started with my current company, they setup their withholdings under a semi-monthly basis, when we're payed bi-weekly

everyone owed two paychecks worth of withholding on their taxes and had to scramble to cover the unexpected payments

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

our employers do withhold income tax, yes (occasionally they don't actually forward the money to the taxman and just keep it for themselves, in which case you have to come up with money to replace what was embezzled)

if you're a freelance worker or otherwise self-employed i think you need to calculate and submit withholdings from your regular income as well

my employer withheld the correct amount for my wages, but i had some substantial gambling winnings i had to account for, plus personal contributions to a tax advantage account the feds recognize, but the state considers a regular brokerage account

i don't know how complicated taxes are in new zealand, but i had at least 6 supplementary forms i had to complete in addition to my two returns, and it's very easy to miss the instructions on a line, or not know about some rule you could be using, so paying a fee for even a simple tax return is kind of common. it just turned out that i missed the most obvious line possible, and it hurts that i had to pay someone to point that out to me

i've never completed a tax form outside of starting a new job. if i'm owed a tax refund, the money goes into my bank account automatically :)

i think our tax system is v simple tho https://www.govt.nz/browse/tax-benefits-and-finance/tax/

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah as a wage earner i get a pre-filled form where i write stuff like 'do you own house/how much debt' if the taxation authority's guess is wrong, it's extremely easy

the reduced interest rates might actually see me owe some back taxes now i think about it...

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
god drat wonder egg priority is the best anime i've seen since madoka. just incredible. unfortunately comes with like a million content warnings so i cant blanket recommend it to everyone but its just so loving good

the premise is a girl fights to protect suicide victims from metaphorical representations of the trauma that led them to suicide, as well as bystanders that let it happen, in a magical realist dream world in order for a chance to possibly bring her best friend back who had committed suicide. also everything is gorgeously animated.

for those interested content warnings are in no particular order: suicide obviously, bullying, physical abuse, cutting, eating disorders, sexual assault, sexual abuse of children, gender dysphoria, survivor's guilt . it can be a rough watch but it's definitely worth it for a really fascinating narrative

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 10, 2021

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Homura and Sickle posted:

the premise is a girl fights to protect suicide victims from metaphorical representations of the trauma that led them to suicide, as well as bystanders that let it happen, in a magical realist dream world in order for a chance to possibly bring her best friend back who had committed suicide

this sounds like monogatari

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

god drat wonder egg priority is the best anime i've seen since madoka. just incredible. unfortunately comes with like a million content warnings so i cant blanket recommend it to everyone but its just so loving good

the premise is a girl fights to protect suicide victims from metaphorical representations of the trauma that led them to suicide, as well as bystanders that let it happen, in a magical realist dream world in order for a chance to possibly bring her best friend back who had committed suicide. also everything is gorgeously animated.

for those interested content warnings are in no particular order: suicide obviously, bullying, physical abuse, cutting, eating disorders, sexual assault, sexual abuse of children, gender dysphoria, survivor's guilt . it can be a rough watch but it's definitely worth it for a really fascinating narrative

i'd start following it right away, but i'm in the middle of my playthrough of nier: automata, and i don't think i could handle two humanist sad anime girl series at the same time

i'll have to pick it up later

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

most people kill themselves because they make 12 dollars an hour, but cool glorification i guess

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

most people kill themselves because they make 12 dollars an hour, but cool glorification i guess

bizarre take

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

perepelki posted:

i agree sadly

We average like 80-90% humidity all summer long making most days feel like 40C. You get used to it, just like you get used to -40C with windchill. :v:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

i've been meaning to watch more anime for a long time but know nothing about streaming services etc, where would i go to watch this?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

perepelki posted:

i've been meaning to watch more anime for a long time but know nothing about streaming services etc, where would i go to watch this?

Its on funimation

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Its on funimation
thank you so much

if it's any indication of the depth of my anime understanding until now, i had never heard of this site. which i'm aware is about as sad as never having heard of netflix.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It's pretty much Crunchyroll, Funimation (which now owns Crunchyroll, but they're not going to cut you a break on the price), and Netflix now as far as companies streaming the latest new anime.

Hulu mirrors some of Funimation's stuff (but not all) and HBO Max mirrors some of Crunchyroll's stuff (but not all).

Netflix has some stuff that isn't exclusive and some stuff that is, the exclusive stuff they tend to put in Netflix JailTM for a few months instead of streaming it nearly simultaneously with Japan.

EDIT: Oh right I forgot HiDive which was formed out of the ashes of ADV but lol Sentai

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 10, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
there are other ways to view anime, older ways

ways some would find... unnatural

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
seriously though, funimation taking their stuff off crunchyroll, then both are bought out by the same parent company, and then running them independently has been some bullshit

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

what is a crunchy roll

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

perepelki posted:

what is a crunchy roll

its the largest legal anime streaming service

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

its the largest legal anime streaming service
dammit

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

as gojm stated the parent company of funimation just bought crunchy roll a couple months ago so they're probably going to turn into one service, with funimation focusing on dubbing anime

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

there are other ways to view anime, older ways

ways some would find... unnatural
Yeah but in terms of all you can eat monthly subs HiDive is $5, Funi is $6, Crunchy is $8, and Netflix is $9 (SD quality, but during these pandemic times you're not guaranteed HD Netflix streams anyway) - we're not exactly talking about the days when a subtitled VHS tape with 3 episodes was $30 USD.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

seriously though, funimation taking their stuff off crunchyroll, then both are bought out by the same parent company, and then running them independently has been some bullshit

as gojm stated the parent company of funimation just bought crunchy roll a couple months ago so they're probably going to turn into one service, with funimation focusing on dubbing anime
Wait were they both bought out by the same company or did funimation straight up buy crunchyroll? I thought it was the latter?

Either way if they combine libraries it will probably come with a subscription price increase.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

ah yes....... a crunchy roll

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

The United States posted:

Yeah but in terms of all you can eat monthly subs HiDive is $5, Funi is $6, Crunchy is $8, and Netflix is $9 (SD quality, but during these pandemic times you're not guaranteed HD Netflix streams anyway) - we're not exactly talking about the days when a subtitled VHS tape with 3 episodes was $30 USD.

Wait were they both bought out by the same company or did funimation straight up buy crunchyroll? I thought it was the latter?

Either way if they combine libraries it will probably come with a subscription price increase.

sony bought funimation a couple years ago and just bought crunchyroll from at&t

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

perepelki posted:

ah yes....... a crunchy roll

a crunchy roll is california roll sushi coated with panko bread crumbs to give it a crunchy texture when you bite into it. (a california roll is a sushi roll with the rice on the outside, usually with avocado and mayo.)

it's a north american sushi dish, so that's why they named a north american dubbing company after it.

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

Cease to Hope posted:

a crunchy roll is california roll sushi coated with panko bread crumbs to give it a crunchy texture when you bite into it. (a california roll is a sushi roll with the rice on the outside, usually with avocado and mayo.)

:yeeclaw:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

it's a north american sushi dish, so that's why they named a north american dubbing company after it.

I like this recipe

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cease to Hope posted:

if anyone tried to serve me a california roll with mayo in it i'd go fight them in the parking lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if anyone tried to serve me a california roll with mayo in it i'd go fight them in the parking lot

that's the other main ingredient of crab salad :shrug: