Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

Arzakon posted:

Standard practice is 52 days after IPO units can be separated by calling your broker. Sometimes they force the split and units stop trading. Units typically have a fraction of a warrant, so if its 1:4 you need 4 units to split into 4 commons and 1 warrant. Warrant exercise price is typically $11.50 redemption for a common, but they can't be exercised until some criteria are met (30 days after merger, share price above some number) so they aren't as flexible as call options.

If you bought CCIV, you have a common.
CCIV.W (or WS, or WT, completely randomly based on the broker) is a warrant
CCIV.U (or UN, or UT) is a unit

If Lucid doesn't work out CCIV could keep going, hunting for another target. Common price might fall to $10, but more likely something a little higher, like $11. Warrants probably fall to $2-3. If they dissolve, every common holder gets $10+interest. Every warrant holder gets nothing.

Got it! Thank you for the information. Knew I was getting some wires crossed somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Throw swbk on the approved spac list. She's at a premium but she's gonna be goddamned batteries and that's good

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Batteryspac is almost an instabuy below $12 if the team isn't straight trash

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

give me a 10 dollar spac with options.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

PawParole posted:

give me a 10 dollar spac with options.

https://spactrack.net/activespacs/

there are 9 listed there below $11 with options, but results may vary. check optionable and then sort by price and prepare to lose money!

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Most of them are below $11 and optionable because they have trash targets.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I opened chunky (for me) positions in AAC and SPAQ yesterday. SPAQ just started trading yesterday. Looking for energy transition play, same team that brought Fisker public a couple years ago. AAC went to market last week and and have a trust value of $1 billion. They haven't signaled an industry they're targeting yet and their management team has more of a mixed background in cars, finance, energy and infrastructure.

It's more fun playing the meme SPACs, but by the time they become memes they're generally well over $12. I'm trying to be patient and jump on new entrants under $11 so I can at least ride them through the split for free warrants.

Uterine Lineup posted:

Is there a reason you think IPOF will be announced prior to IPOD?

IPOF has twice the trust value of IPOD so the targets are bigger/sexier and thus tend to have more hype. Reddit seems to think it will be Plaid but who knows.

GrandmaParty posted:

Throw swbk on the approved spac list. She's at a premium but she's gonna be goddamned batteries and that's good

I bought units around $12 not long ago. Same folks as SBE and that was enough for me.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Reporting out that it took 1-week for Fidelity to split my units. Super easy process. Unfortunately the influx of new Fidelity users (as evidenced by the dumb Fidelity questions in the stock trading thread) has clogged the Fidelity trading desk lines so it takes forever to get through. The trading desk rep did perk up once I said that I wanted to split units. I guess that is more interesting than explaining what a money market over and over all day.

Still maintaining my current strategy of getting into units shortly before split, selling the commons at the first big bump to free up cash to buy into more pre-split units, and then riding the warrants long term (or selling early if I don't like the target announcement). I won't get the big returns that you guys get by trading commons closer to target and deal announcements but I feel like it's a lower risk strategy and essentially gives me free lotto tickets with the warrants.

So far I am in:
SNRH
CFIV
PV
JWSM
CND
CTAQ
CBAH
TACA
and am looking to rotate into CPUH and SPAQ next.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I use vanguard for my 'real' investments and webull for other stuff (and was planning to do SPACs there), but apparently the latter doesn't deal with Units at all. Won't even let you trade on them. Anyone know if vanguard splits for you easy enough?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I cant figure out how to even buy units on Fidelity, e.g. I search for SPAQ.U and just get an error

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Try SPAQU, SPAQ U, SPAQ/U or SPAQ_U

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

GEMorris posted:

I cant figure out how to even buy units on Fidelity, e.g. I search for SPAQ.U and just get an error

I'm having the same issue in TD Ameritrade. SPAQ.U shows up if you search but if you choose it, it says it cannot be found

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

GEMorris posted:

on fidelity it's SPAC/U

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

GEMorris posted:

Fidelity is pretty uniformly XXXXU for units. XXXXW or XXXXWS for warrants, usually the former.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

DoubleT2172 posted:

I'm having the same issue in TD Ameritrade. SPAQ.U shows up if you search but if you choose it, it says it cannot be found

Just type "SPAQ.U" into the symbol box on the buy and sell page. Symbol lookup doesn't work for units on TD but just typing in the symbol manually works

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Units are handled so badly by the brokers. Is it .U? A + symbol? A ^ symbol? The Konami code?

:shrug:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

GEMorris posted:

It would be SPAQU for fidelity

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Burn Zone fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 12, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

FistEnergy posted:

Units are handled so badly by the brokers. Is it .U? A + symbol? A ^ symbol? The Konami code?

:shrug:

that works for me!

CCIV🠑🠑🠗🠗🠔→🠔→BAU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Preemptive: no one knows why Ajax halted. Probably just a big order.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
e: aw gently caress its on the last page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rHkXfaIRTM

crossposting from the doomsday economics thread

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Burn Zone posted:

Saw this on /r/SPACs

THCB is bringing this company public and they just announced a plant in TN. This is particularly interesting to me because my work commute takes me past the currently closed factory they’re going to use. I’d noticed some activity there recently but lmao that it relates to SPACs

https://clarksvillenow.com/local/electric-vehicle-battery-maker-microvast-to-build-287-job-factory-in-clarksville/

There was a big DD post in r/SPACs about a high probability that THCB/MV's partner Oshkosh will get a $6B USPS contract. I hadn't done anything with warrants yet so I just picked up 100 @ $5.99.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you for the OP, FistEnergy. And thanks for posting in the doomsday econ thread about it, otherwise I wouldn't have found out about SPACs. :D

I've read every single post up to this point, and am wanting to dip my toes in with a small amount. Let's say I have $1000 to throw at this money furnace. What would a "beginner strategy" look like? Invest it in a single SPAC to get a feel for how various news/announcements/lack of them affect the price? Or spread it out amongst like ten different ones?

Also, how does capital gains taxation works with active trading? I have Fidelity. Do I need to painstakingly keep track of every purchase and sale I make on a spreadsheet, or does the broker do that for me and send me a form when the time comes to file taxes?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Thank you for the OP, FistEnergy. And thanks for posting in the doomsday econ thread about it, otherwise I wouldn't have found out about SPACs. :D

I've read every single post up to this point, and am wanting to dip my toes in with a small amount. Let's say I have $1000 to throw at this money furnace. What would a "beginner strategy" look like? Invest it in a single SPAC to get a feel for how various news/announcements/lack of them affect the price? Or spread it out amongst like ten different ones?

Also, how does capital gains taxation works with active trading? I have Fidelity. Do I need to painstakingly keep track of every purchase and sale I make on a spreadsheet, or does the broker do that for me and send me a form when the time comes to file taxes?

The broker should know your cost basis if you buy through them so they'll send you a 1099 with all your gains and losses.

If you're a beginner make sure you understand the wash sale rule that can disallow claiming losses.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Mad Wack posted:

e: aw gently caress its on the last page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rHkXfaIRTM

crossposting from the doomsday economics thread

It’s So Cold in the CCIV

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

10 is probably too many since your gains are going to be pretty tiny and probably not worth the effort of keeping on top of 10 names. Maybe 3-4? Try a hype one in the LIO/DA phase and maybe a couple closer to NAV?

I'd also suggest playing around in a tax-sheltered account personally. I don't think we've talked much about PFIC status ITT but holding a foreign-domiciled SPAC more than a year can have obnoxious tax consequences.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

I'd start with some of the ones from the OP spreadsheet that are under $11. Pick 5 and spend $200 each, or pick 10 and spend $100 each. Then watch how they behave as news for each one comes in or doesn't come in.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.renaissancecapital.com/IPO-Center/News/76433/ESG-SPAC-Mission-Advancement-files-for-a-$250-million-IPO-led-by-Colin-Kaep

So this SPAC is, per the article, looking to invest in a company worth more than a billion. I thought a SPAV could just all or nothing aquire a company though?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Made some dumb weed meme money yesterday. Excited to sit down in my comfy pants and do some SPAC shopping this morning.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Aside from foreign exchange fees, is there any reason not to buy US SPAC shares from the UK? Just trying to check if I'm missing any rules or execptions I'm unware of.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Fuse is suddenly spiking. Supposedly they got a big investment from Davidson kempner.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
CCIV also going ATH.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Darth TNT posted:

Fuse is suddenly spiking. Supposedly they got a big investment from Davidson kempner.

It was an S-1 filing of someone acquiring stock back in December and prior to the MoneyLion rumors unfortunately.

SCVX said it was in the "ninth inning" of target selection today. What was the other cybersecurity spac?

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 11, 2021

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Deketh posted:

Aside from foreign exchange fees, is there any reason not to buy US SPAC shares from the UK? Just trying to check if I'm missing any rules or execptions I'm unware of.

The U.S. has dumb laws that affect foreign SPACs held in taxable accounts, but no idea if it goes the other way too.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Rolo posted:

Made some dumb weed meme money yesterday. Excited to sit down in my comfy pants and do some SPAC shopping this morning.

Will your broker be able to exercise warrants if the SPAC you buy has them stapled to the units?

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Chad Sexington posted:

The U.S. has dumb laws that affect foreign SPACs held in taxable accounts, but no idea if it goes the other way too.

Alright, thanks. Think I'm ok

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man
Bought a tad more CCIV on the dip today. Up over 11% in AH! Pretty cool.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Quoted from the stock thread. Interested in seeing if anything happens tomorrow.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rolo posted:

Quoted from the stock thread. Interested in seeing if anything happens tomorrow.

Dude has 3k followers, and just constantly posts rocket memes and poo poo. Dunno how reliable that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Dude has 3k followers, and just constantly posts rocket memes and poo poo. Dunno how reliable that is.

It's what's on the bloomberg terminal that's interesting. Either way others on twitter are posting the same thing.