Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Ignorant Hick posted:

I'm doing a completionist run for the first time in years with an NCR cowboy build and yeah the dlc enemy scaling is atrocious. Hunting shotgun with long tube, 4/0 buck magnum, and the two shotgun perks has been my go to for dealing with that bullshit. I'm fast enough to backpedal forever from tunnelers but if one of the lonesome road deathclaws gets too close I have to pray I trigger the shotgun knockback. gently caress those couple of scripted encounters with them.

And Stay Back procs per pellet, so 4/0 Magnum has a lower chance, less pellets. Might be worth it to just rely on Shotgun Surgeon for DT and stick to regular magnum rounds(7 projectiles instead of 4) or coin shot(8 projectiles).

For a nearly guaranteed knockdown, go for the Big Boomer, since it fires both barrels at once. It's cowboy-ish enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

rope kid posted:

Yes.

It was low enough that it was only practically useful against people in no armor. With a bolt action/low rate of fire, it didn't feel good at all. The .22LR weapons in the game are gimmicky and more or less require you to build specifically around ultra sneak damage so you can mag dump into someone's head from the shadows and the sneak crit damage roasts them before they can do anything. That just didn't work for your first bolt action rifle.

I think you could probably build a Ruger 10/22 type gun with that vibe, but that's a semi-auto, very different feel.

I appreciate the insight. With that in mind Ratslayer's design makes even more sense than before. "only useful against no armor" isn't horrible when all you're up against is dudes in prison jumpsuits... but that doesn't last long at all and I can see it turning into an unfun mess fast.

Burns posted:

I notice that Fiends commonly carry energy weapons. Its as if someone who may not be too keen on NCR may be supplying them.

At risk of yet another "separate content as written from content as logical extension of the game's supporting elements", this actually might be an oversight or a consequence of energy weapons occupying the "high tier combat stuff" niche, Veronica acknowledges the Fiends as not having energy weapons at all in one of her environmental voice lines. She may also be completely misinformed but it's unlikely from the commentary.

Veronica posted:

No power armor. No energy weapons. And they're giving the NCR more trouble than we ever did.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 10, 2021

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SkyeAuroline posted:

I appreciate the insight. With that in mind Ratslayer's design makes even more sense than before. "only useful against no armor" isn't horrible when all you're up against is dudes in prison jumpsuits... but that doesn't last long at all and I can see it turning into an unfun mess fast.
Setting aside the base damage (which isn't intrinsically connected to ammo type), switching to 5.56mm immediately gives you access to more ammo types than .22LR, including AP.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

rope kid posted:

Setting aside the base damage (which isn't intrinsically connected to ammo type), switching to 5.56mm immediately gives you access to more ammo types than .22LR, including AP.

The way forward is clear, then.
Ratshot .22 cartridges. Leaving the effects on the SMG to your imagination.

Jokes aside, yeah. That all tracks. I don't think I ever really used the base varmint rifle in practice and was a little bemused at the thought that it was worse at some point.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Halser posted:

And Stay Back procs per pellet, so 4/0 Magnum has a lower chance, less pellets. Might be worth it to just rely on Shotgun Surgeon for DT and stick to regular magnum rounds(7 projectiles instead of 4) or coin shot(8 projectiles).

For a nearly guaranteed knockdown, go for the Big Boomer, since it fires both barrels at once. It's cowboy-ish enough.

Had no idea that’s how it worked, thanks. Once I finish LR I was going to stick with trail carbine, sequoia, and blood nap for the rest of the game but that’s good to know for the next run. I had considered installing JSawyer for this run but I got intimidated by doing anything more complicated than using the nexus mod manager. I’ll take a crack at it next go though. Even with no leveling perks and 5 intelligence I feel like I’m leveling too fast and have too many skill points.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

Does Ultimate actually convert the varmint rifle back to .22?

Yes. Manually edited it out of the mod because I didn't like it, to be honest, and it was kind of a pain in the rear end to figure out how to do that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ignorant Hick posted:

Had no idea that’s how it worked, thanks. Once I finish LR I was going to stick with trail carbine, sequoia, and blood nap for the rest of the game but that’s good to know for the next run. I had considered installing JSawyer for this run but I got intimidated by doing anything more complicated than using the nexus mod manager. I’ll take a crack at it next go though. Even with no leveling perks and 5 intelligence I feel like I’m leveling too fast and have too many skill points.

Swap out the trail carbine for a brush gun or the Medicine Stick

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I prefer Trail Carbine because the 44. SWC hand-loaded ammo does no extra damage to the gun, whereas Brush Guns and 45.-70. SWC does 1.33x more condition damage, causing quick degradation.

Also, Trail Carbine's got a scope.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Has anyone else tried the randomizer?

It's most fun in the early game, when you've got to scavenge whatever weird poo poo you find to deal with the power armored rocket launching badasses and blind deathclaws infesting the early game areas.

Once you have a golf bag of overpowered weapons it just becomes any late-game New Vegas run.

mellonbread fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 10, 2021

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

rope kid posted:

This is because "Ultimate" means second-guessing the choices I made and adding a bunch of other things that the modder personally liked that also make the mod more fragile.

From the description it seemed pretty respectful. I didn't necessarily want any extra features, just no-fuss compatibility with WMX.

I was able to use FNVEdit to revert the rifle back to 5.56 which is great. For some reason, it still required 5.56 ammo but everyone was carrying .22LR, so no one was firing their rifles.

Off hand, do you know of any other second-guesses it makes?

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

See my earlier post dude.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ignorant Hick posted:

See my earlier post dude.

I guess taking from a shared ammo pool for your hand cannon and your boomstick would be a downside as well.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Ignorant Hick posted:

There's a mod where you can increase the amount of experience needed so you level slower. I use the 100% slower experience mod (First level normally requires 1000 exp, now it requires 2000).

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/36411

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I guess taking from a shared ammo pool for your hand cannon and your boomstick would be a downside as well.

Sorry if that came off a little snippy, but I’m going for cool aesthetics rather than optimal play here.

I can drop a LR deathclaw with one sneak attack crib from the trail carbine. Those couple of encounters where they spawn on top of you just stood out to me as annoying and badly designed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can only think of the one where you go into the van on the ruined highway. The rest of the deathclaws are far enough away or getting mauled by tunnelers.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The Brush Gun was designed to be an orthogonal progression from the Trail Carbine so it's nice to see people use the Trail Carbine for its distinctive features even after the Brush Gun/MS are available.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

SkyeAuroline posted:

Does Ultimate actually convert the varmint rifle back to .22?

This made me read through the changelog for Ultimate a bit closer, have to xEdit some stuff out.

I do like how some of the smaller trash items are tweaked to be lighter, though. Makes it easier to actually craft stuff like doctor's bags.

quote:

The Brush Gun was designed to be an orthogonal progression from the Trail Carbine so it's nice to see people use the Trail Carbine for its distinctive features even after the Brush Gun/MS are available.

Most enemies in the game aren't bullet sponges, so there's really no need to go for full max DPS at all times, it's really a great thing about this game. Plus not having to repair a weapon every three shots like you have with the Brush Gun + hand loaded rounds is really helpful.

Speaking of fragile weapons, it's hilarious how quickly Elijah's LAER breaks down with max charge ammo. Really need to bind WRKs to a hotkey in order to use that thing semi-regularly.

Halser fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 10, 2021

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

rope kid posted:

I also just like the color and design of the Trail Carbine more than Brush Gun. :shobon:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I also just like the color and design of the Trail Carbine more than Brush Gun. :shobon:

Always choose aesthetic over numbers.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I can only think of the one where you go into the van on the ruined highway. The rest of the deathclaws are far enough away or getting mauled by tunnelers.

I got ambushed by two of them after checking out the rest stop underneath the end of the long overpass. Fairly certain they’re scripted to come at you once you go to the building. Had to lure them into a line of satchel charges after getting one shot by them a few times.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Raygereio posted:

My main weapon is almost always the hunting shotgun, but I keep That Gun around with at least two different ammo types so I can keep switching and watching that reload animation while I'm walking around.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess I've always gone with the medicine stick rather than the .44 carbine because I prefer the Mysterious Magnum over the hunting revolvers. The Magnum jingle makes up for the rather weak sound effects that the .44 and the hunting revolvers share.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I never use revolvers after the early game, even when playing with Cowboy. I need that 3-5WG to carry scrap metal and wonderglue.

with this in mind, it's a bit of a shame there's no energy lever action/revolver weapon. It's silly as hell but I think it'd be fun to start out as a guns-based cowboy and then finish the game with much higher tech that's still for some reason cowboyish. It's why I like the Holorifle so much, being a pump action energy shotgun.

Halser fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 10, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I love using the .357 Magnum if only for that awesome reload animation.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Same, but the Cowboy Repeater.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I went with the 1911 and Tommy gun so much I now hate Honest Hearts just because I had to run through it every single game first thing to unlock them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The single shot reload animation also means that the .357 is the only revolver in the game that doesn't suffer from the dreaded speed loader bug

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Raygereio posted:

That's why I use nothing but This Machine :911:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

yeah I definitely just choose a gun that looks cool and keep that going rather than chasing numbers. Same reason I'll waste perk points on DT upgrades just so I can keep wearing Vault suits without instantly dying.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Fashion is the hidden stat we all try to max out

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Mysterious magnum has a guitar riff, which makes it better.

Making your Courier look cool is important. I like the mechanic in 4 where you can layer clothing and armour, until it turns out not many base outfits give you that option, so its kind of a wasted opportunity.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Separating armor into arm and leg slots was however an awful change, it makes everything look so dumb.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

OldMemes posted:

Mysterious magnum has a guitar riff, which makes it better.

Making your Courier look cool is important. I like the mechanic in 4 where you can layer clothing and armour, until it turns out not many base outfits give you that option, so its kind of a wasted opportunity.

yeah that just ended up frustrating me more because it seems like no actual clothes work with it

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Byzantine posted:

I went with the 1911 and Tommy gun so much I now hate Honest Hearts just because I had to run through it every single game first thing to unlock them.

There's a mod that adds all the DLC weapons to the Mojave!

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/47880

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 11, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's a couple, this one adds some armour as well: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/47722

I think I prefer that first one though because it adds LAERs. This other one thinks they're not lore friendly apparently :rolleyes:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Raygereio posted:

Take back this Cyberpunk 2077 slander right this instant

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The game with the best clothing system is Dragon's Dogma.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Separating armor into arm and leg slots was however an awful change, it makes everything look so dumb.

I actually really liked it. There's an iStevie tweak that lets you apply DT separately for the head and the chest armor, and that stuff would work great with Fallout 4's armor system, although it would necessitate a redesign of the armor values. Incidentally, that's also why I don't use it with NV, as I don't think the armor values for helmets were ever designed to be used alone.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD7ZiyFo9g0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert: